• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Ben Roethlisberger Meeting “Went Well”

black and gold apex

Reaction score
With so much negative talk on Ben, what will we see next year, A new OC no running game what will the offense look like. Shame Ben deserves better, no coach has stood up for him, no player has stood up or past players. Ben is a sitting duck for all the sports writers that are bored right now. Ben is being blamed for the season over the last game. All the talk of pass completed percentage down, as we witnessed over and over passes dropped. Then with Tomlins game plan going in the dumper in December and January as he continued to call for underneath routs, Ben was made to look as if he could not throw. Yet when the game was basically over and coaching let Ben loose he threw down the field with no problem. Tomlin has never been looked at during the rash of negative articles around the Steelers. Tomlin has a poor team to put around Ben for next years toss up. Ben had major surgery and still came back to lead the team for a strong beginning, running game disappeared and the defense was up and down yet Ben not coaching under Tomlin is reason. Ben has given the Steelers his all and he has redone his contract numerous times yet GM and owner has used him has a bunching bag as Tomlin hides. Never thought I would see this side of the Steelers organization.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We're going to get a veteran UFA QB next year when we have draft capital to be a care taker or whatever. Then we go back to the draft. No reason to stress about finding a QB in the draft this year. There are always street free agent QBs to be had for a year or two.
did you click the link? in 2022, the UFA Vet QB list is trash

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
hearing Nelson wants to stay, so he would be willing to restructure, Tuitt should in a week, Ebron is a good fit after the benching he got his act together do a minor restructure. Bring Jessie to be the blocking back.
RB I am getting the draft some low key guys I could think are Mack, Wilson JR
Now for te and C, there are gonna be good vets that if we decide to cut Ebron can replace him, C Kelse is expected to released by the Eagles as well as Ertz or traded, would good fits, as the Eagles got the best C last year in Hennesy who they had easy scouting access as he played for Temple.
12 mill avg is the benchmark with juju I don't pass, Hilton 4 mill, Sutton long term backloaded incentive to deal with performance-based incentives based on snaps, starts intc, roster i.e roster bonus if by year 2 wins the starting job. no team is going to pay JJ with the number of injuries he has for his resume, not a contender, watch by the end of March he will be in the 6 mill or less range, and let's see if he wants to play home for GB or with his brothers.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
hearing Nelson wants to stay, so he would be willing to restructure, Tuitt should in a week, Ebron is a good fit after the benching he got his act together do a minor restructure. Bring Jessie to be the blocking back.
RB I am getting the draft some low key guys I could think are Mack, Wilson JR
Now for te and C, there are gonna be good vets that if we decide to cut Ebron can replace him, C Kelse is expected to released by the Eagles as well as Ertz or traded, would good fits, as the Eagles got the best C last year in Hennesy who they had easy scouting access as he played for Temple.
12 mill avg is the benchmark with juju I don't pass, Hilton 4 mill, Sutton long term backloaded incentive to deal with performance-based incentives based on snaps, starts intc, roster i.e roster bonus if by year 2 wins the starting job. no team is going to pay JJ with the number of injuries he has for his resume, not a contender, watch by the end of March he will be in the 6 mill or less range, and let's see if he wants to play home for GB or with his brothers.
No i in Jesse that is the girl way of spelling it !

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Some need to abandon this illusion of a SB with Ben in 2021. Ben simply cannot carry this team on his back any longer like he once could. Last SB win he was able to sustain a high level of play and lead this team to a SB win despite a bad OL but those days are over. Steelers cannot possibly think they have a chance of going to the SB so why bring him back? I say sever ties, take the 19 million savings which with Pouncey and Vance retirements puts you in the black a couple million on the cap. Restructuring Cam, maybe DeCastro and Nelson adds more cap space. Cut Bince, Haden, Ebron and have some decent money to spend.
Sign Cam Sutton and Mike Hilton. Doubt Bud will sign since he thinks he’s worth more than he is so see you later.
Try and sign JuJu but don’t break the bank. He’s a really good slot guy and solid blocker but I don’t break the bank on him. I can find his replacement in the draft or F/A.
I offer Feiler a reasonable contract where I think you can retain him.
I draft in this order; OT, Center, TE in first three rounds.
Sign my RB in F/A, possibly the RB from Packers they are rumored to be interested in, and if he’s released bring back the outlaw Jesse James to team up with TE draft choice.
Turn the starting QB job over to Mason with a full pre season to prepare and taylor the offense to his strengths with an emphasis on the revamped running game. If Mason bombs then our record will follow suit and we get a top 10 pick and get our QB next year.
I like Ben and appreciate all that he’s done for this football team but it’s time and I see no value bringing him back just to have the same results or worse. All we’d be doing is delaying
If Ben wants to win a super bowl (Frankly, why else would he even play), then he should take a couple of million, a few, in guaranteed money to go with his 21 million he will get regardless and play. Allow the team to put all they can into this last team he will lead. He’s made like 500 million-he doesn’t need the money, and no amount of money covers life changing injury so what’s the point in even asking for money IF IT’S REALLY ABOUT WINNING IT ALL.

also, we won’t get bens replacement (assuming he’s not on the team now) unless we draft higher. We will likely have to suck badly in the right year to get our guy the following spring (a la Colts w Luck). No way they ever replace Manning in Indy while Manning was winning and keeping them in the bottom of round one.
Bottom line, Ben should not be “carrying” Steelers to Super Bowl “like he once did”.

He never carried the Steelers to a Super Bowl as it was. But he sure as hell could have directed the 2020 Steelers that started 11-0 before injuries wrecked them & with a running game.

The 2003 Steelers finished 31st in league rushing, by making adjustments in 2004 they were a team caught cheating from being a 15-1 team as Super Bowl champions.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Bottom line, Ben should not be “carrying” Steelers to Super Bowl “like he once did”.

He never carried the Steelers to a Super Bowl as it was. But he sure as hell could have directed the 2020 Steelers that started 11-0 before injuries wrecked them & with a running game.

The 2003 Steelers finished 31st in league rushing, by making adjustments in 2004 they were a team caught cheating from being a 15-1 team as Super Bowl champions.
We’re going to have to respectfully disagree here FSF. He most certainly carried this team in 2008 and especially in 2010 even though it was a loss. His OL especially in 2010 was not good and his mobility then to extend plays is what saved this team. He made that offense go and carried it. Now he just cannot without the mobility he was had. The only way this is going to work is to fix this line and running game and limit Ben’s throws to 30 35 times a game max. He’s got to have a strong running game to do that though and don’t know how this gets fixed that quickly with him coming back.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
We’re going to have to respectfully disagree here FSF. He most certainly carried this team in 2008 and especially in 2010 even though it was a loss. His OL especially in 2010 was not good and his mobility then to extend plays is what saved this team. He made that offense go and carried it. Now he just cannot without the mobility he was had. The only way this is going to work is to fix this line and running game and limit Ben’s throws to 30 35 times a game max. He’s got to have a strong running game to do that though and don’t know how this gets fixed that quickly with him coming back.
Did we forget about those defenses in 2008 and 2010?

steelhurt

Reaction score
Did we forget about those defenses in 2008 and 2010?
I think I specified the offense not the defense. I stated he made the offense go and carried it. He can't do that any longer.
Defenses then were very good but I never said defense only offense.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
2008 the Defense carried the team with the #1 In points, yards, passing D and sacks, just barely missed sweep by finishing #2 in rushing D.

The 2008 Steelers offense was statistically the worst offense to ever win a Super Bowl.
20th/22nd in yards/points.

Ben himself dropped in production from 2007-2008. He dropped from 32 TDs to 17, completion % 65.3 to 59.9 and QB rating 104.1 to 100.5. He had 249 more yards in 2008 playing in 1 less game, though INTs increased from 11 to 15.

I can agree more with 2010, his #s didn’t reflect his real production. He only threw 17 TDs for 3200 yards—but that was due to missing 4 games to start year. And even his playoffs were a misleading—2 AFCCG TD passes were literally missed because his receivers slipped right before they could cross the goal line. They scored with a run on next play but his QB rating was 33.5 in AFC Championship would have doubled if they just caught the TD. And just imagine if AB stayed in bounds on the 3rd and 19.... how that would be replayed more. But he was awful in SB 45 first half, and that’s the game that I believe gets him.

He was poised to become “elite” if he played that game like he beat them in 2009. Even if he played as badly as he did, if he got that final TD drive to win/-he’s looked upon differently.

The defense was dominant (again) in 2010 and Ben’s best years have come with a strong RB performance. Mendenhall was enormous in getting that team through 2010 with 1273 yards & 13 TDs.

Hence cannot say Ben carried them. But 2010 could have been a real breakthrough season for him and I believe it still bothers him to this day

steelhurt

Reaction score
2008 the Defense carried the team with the #1 In points, yards, passing D and sacks, just barely missed sweep by finishing #2 in rushing D.

The 2008 Steelers offense was statistically the worst offense to ever win a Super Bowl.
20th/22nd in yards/points.

Ben himself dropped in production from 2007-2008. He dropped from 32 TDs to 17, completion % 65.3 to 59.9 and QB rating 104.1 to 100.5. He had 249 more yards in 2008 playing in 1 less game, though INTs increased from 11 to 15.

I can agree more with 2010, his #s didn’t reflect his real production. He only threw 17 TDs for 3200 yards—but that was due to missing 4 games to start year. And even his playoffs were a misleading—2 AFCCG TD passes were literally missed because his receivers slipped right before they could cross the goal line. They scored with a run on next play but his QB rating was 33.5 in AFC Championship would have doubled if they just caught the TD. And just imagine if AB stayed in bounds on the 3rd and 19.... how that would be replayed more. But he was awful in SB 45 first half, and that’s the game that I believe gets him.

He was poised to become “elite” if he played that game like he beat them in 2009. Even if he played as badly as he did, if he got that final TD drive to win/-he’s looked upon differently.

The defense was dominant (again) in 2010 and Ben’s best years have come with a strong RB performance. Mendenhall was enormous in getting that team through 2010 with 1273 yards & 13 TDs.

Hence cannot say Ben carried them. But 2010 could have been a real breakthrough season for him and I believe it still bothers him to this day
Ya its more centered on on 2010 team than the 2008 team. He was remarkable with his escapability in both seasons especially in 2010. I just think now at 39 if they want this to work, they have got to somehow fix this line and get strong RB in here but don't know if they can do all this in one off season.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
2008 was the toughest schedule ever, that defense was amazing, should be talked about more than it is, it gave up less yards per play than the 2000 Ravens, but that amazing defense gave up two fourth quarter TD's in the Super Bowl and Ben was under pressure that entire final drive, hell the first play of that drive was a holding penalty I think.
That Oline was pure trash, a huge reason why Ben's and the offensive numbers dropped off.