• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reparations

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Yet another bill from Sheila Jackson Lee to unify America.
Well, the covid relief bill they are taking up today has loan forgiveness for ranchers and farmers based on race and ethnicity. That among other goodies. Your tax dollars being used to reinforce racism. Ain't America great?

NCSteelerfan

Reaction score
I don't think reparations is a dirty word and has not been discussed in an intelligent way. Unfortunately the wrong groups get the loudest voices on this subject and the same **** gets said by both sides every single time. There are nuances to this that go past slavery and touch on the legacy of slavery - for example, Jim Crow laws the govt used to continue to keep the population oppressed. Why does it always go to people thinking direct payments to people from the tax payers? I have seen items discussed that to me make sense........what about the black veterans after WWII that were denied use of the newly propped GI Bill for college? Should their families be compensated for that? What about the companies and institutions that are still here today that profited directly from slavery because there is quite a few of them still here - New York Life, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, etc. why can't they be tapped to set up opportunity programs for helping to build black businesses?

There's a lot to this conversation and I have gone out and studied different aspects of it to try and educate myself on the subject. I'm not writing a whole essay about it here.......don't have the time for all of that, but the information is out there if you take the time to find it.

Here is a link to a pretty good article about the topic. (hope it works) https://www.consciousconservativeme...onservative-response-to-the-reparations-topic

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think reparations is a dirty word and has not been discussed in an intelligent way. Unfortunately the wrong groups get the loudest voices on this subject and the same **** gets said by both sides every single time. There are nuances to this that go past slavery and touch on the legacy of slavery - for example, Jim Crow laws the govt used to continue to keep the population oppressed. Why does it always go to people thinking direct payments to people from the tax payers? I have seen items discussed that to me make sense........what about the black veterans after WWII that were denied use of the newly propped GI Bill for college? Should their families be compensated for that?

"Their families"? All people throughout history, dating back as long as humans have painted on cave walls, have warred with one another, murdered one another and yes, enslaved one another. Slavery has a history as long as human history, involving all people - every race and culture. The push for reparations has nothing to do with justice, or morality, or righteousness. Instead, it is and always has been a political tool.

That's it.

Further, if you believe that the endless push to reward one group at the expense of another will yield a good outcome, I suggest you look at history and every time that theory has been tested.