• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ravens Zach Orr to retire at 24

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Ravens LB Zach Orr, 24, to announce retirement
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
comment
9:40 AM ET
ESPN.com news services
Baltimore Ravens linebacker Zach Orr, the team's leading tackler this season, will announce his retirement Friday, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jamison Hensley.

The 24-year-old Orr, who also had three interceptions this season, was placed on injured reserve after suffering a stinger in his neck against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Dec. 25.

His retirement was first reported by the NFL Network.

Orr, a first-time starter after entering training camp as a backup, finished the season with 132 combined tackles.

The third-year player, who is the son of former Redskins tight end Terry Orr, was set to be a restricted free agent this year and was in line to get a tender over $2 million in 2017.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Football just isn't as important to the younger players anymore. Not surprised, and young retirements will continue to increase across the league.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The more people see long term injuries from the game the more they are willing to cut and run after one contract

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Football just isn't as important to the younger players anymore. Not surprised, and young retirements will continue to increase across the league.

Or he may have other issues like spinal stenosis that the doctors won't clear him for and he would be a fool to go back to the game with.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He is young enough that maybe he can heal fully and NOT have to serious repo cushions from said injury, His Life's work is calling.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Seems to be more common now. Get in get some money and get out. Can't really blame the players

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think DBS might be right. Something was discovered that scared him or the Doctors wouldn't clear him to play anymore. Not like a 6 figure income for three years wouldn't be a nice little nest egg if you were wise but since he was going to make more next year than his previous 3 and probably a lot more the year after I think this might be forced retirement. If he received his big first contract and this was 3 years after that I could see making a conscience decision to retire having million saved up in the bank. But not only playing out the rookie deal. Idk I assume we learn more soon though.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
... Orr maybe he just wants to take a sabbatical

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if we start to see guys "retire" young and then come back a few years later. Orr may heal up then come back as a free agent and not a restricted free agent so he can sign a bigger contract.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard on radio it was congenital issue with neck/spine. Smart move to give it up now.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard on radio it was congenital issue with neck/spine. Smart move to give it up now.

Congenital? You sure it wasn't Degenerative. Congenital is a abnormality present at birth. Don't think he would have played as long as he have without it being caught by the numerous medical professionals he's seen much much sooner than now.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: MTC

SteelerAl

Reaction score
This decision was not Orr's choice. A CAT scan after the season revealed a congenital condition with his neck/spine. He has increased risk of paralysis or death. Going forward he would not be able to pass any team's physical.

ark steel

Reaction score
Clearly a case of the Ravens coach and medical staff dropping the ball. amiright?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a great reason to stop playing. It didn't stop Jarvis though...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Steeler Nation mobile app

USC cut Jarvis cause of his spinal stenosis. The dr's in Cali even told him to move on with his life's work. UGA cleared him to play though. He was ok as a Dawg and happy he got drafted by my favorite nfl team. But even I questioned the pick

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Congenital? You sure it wasn't Degenerative. Congenital is a abnormality present at birth. Don't think he would have played as long as he have without it being caught by the numerous medical professionals he's seen much much sooner than now.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Congenital is born. Degenerative is wear and tear. That is correct. However both cases when it comes to contact sports is just taking that unlucky hit. Congenital, you have a higher chance of paralysis/death, but it's possible in a degenerative situation as well. I think if said player feels the need to walk away, it's good. The league cannot afford to showcase one of these injuries like that Bills player in 2007. The nfl is being hampered down now, if any of these types of injuries become the norm, it'll just turn more people away

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he's just tired of being on a ****** team.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score

I heard his interview on moving the chains, NFL radio. It is Congenital, but was never discovered until now. He had a stinger and his end of season CAT scan found it when checking his shoulder and neck area. He said the doctors said he was born with an abnormally small vertabrae in his upper neck and that the wrong type of hit could potentially cripple or kill him. He said he was surprised as he has never had any neck issues ever in his life. Smart move to retire. He should be able to live a long, full, normal life . . .just no contact sports.

ark steel

Reaction score
Too bad. Glad he is able to get out before serious injury.

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
This decision was not Orr's choice. A CAT scan after the season revealed a congenital condition with his neck/spine. He has increased risk of paralysis or death. Going forward he would not be able to pass any team's physical.

Then why did the Ravens try to convince him to continue playing? Apparently it was his choice alone, kudos to him.