• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Questions for the Draft

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm finding it very difficult to do mock drafts because there are so many variables. More so than any other year, It's hard to know what the steelers are thinking. It's clear that the thinking changed when Omar took over. Now we also have to factor in the input of new OC Arthur Smith.

So i got questions that i wish i knew the steelers answers

1. OL coach Pat Meyer was retained despite a struggling unit. The OL coach has to teach the blocking scheme to fit the offense. Do the steelers think Meyer was yet another steeler handcuffed by Canada? Does Smith think Meyer can teach his system?

2. What is the blocking scheme? In Atlanta, Smith used lots of outside zone. Steelers didn't. Are they going to do outside zone? The answer to this can completely change your OL rankings.

3. Do they think Dan Moore fits in the new offense and will be an OK starter? The steelers pre draft visits have them talking to OTs so they want an upgrade but is that a luxury or a need? I ask this question ahead of Center because if they think Moore stinks and needs replacement then OT is a bigger need than Center.

4. How many Centers do they actually like? Do they think a later round guy like Nourzad can start as a rookie? And i don't mean in a cross your fingers sort of way like with Kendrick Green.

5. Are they open to James Daniels moving to C? Center could be scarce. If they don't want to move Daniels then they may have to draft a C in the 1st or possibly trade up in a later round to guarantee they get one. If they're OK with moving Daniels, it opens up the draft pool to G and C so maybe they can wait a bit longer.

6. They added DeShon Elliot and Dante Jackson to the secondary. Do they think that gives them adequate starters and only need to draft DB as a want not a need?

7. How much does Smith like or trust Pickens in his system? If he loves Pickens then they just need a #2 WR. In this draft they could wait a long time because it's so deep. They may also be able to trade for a veteran to fill that role. If Smith is not sure Pickens fits, then WR is a pretty big need that may have to be addressed in Rd 2 or 3.

8. What are the thoughts on the DL? Does Cam have a few good years left as a starter or quality role player? Are they done with Leal and Loudermilk? Do they see anybody aside from Benton as a long term future starter? If they think Cam only has 1 year left as a starter and don't see anybody else as a future starter then DL is a pretty big need. Maybe you have to pull the trigger on Johnny Newton or Byron Murphy in rd 1.

9. Do they plan to sign Freiermuth to a 2nd contract? TE is very important to Smith's offense. Washington may be a good blocker but likely won't be much of a playmaker as a receiver. If they don't see Pat in future plans then TE is a need.

10. What's menage a trois, or, that is, What is sex when you have three people? What are laws if they ain't fair and equal? What's Clark Kent without a telephone booth? What is a liquor if it ain't 80 proof? What are the youth if they ain't rebellin'? What's Ralph Kramden, if he ain't yellin'.. At Ed Norton, what is coke snortin'? What is position if there is no contortin'? What is hip-hop if it doesn't have violence? Chill for a minute, Doug E. Fresh said silence.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'm finding it very difficult to do mock drafts because there are so many variables. More so than any other year, It's hard to know what the steelers are thinking. It's clear that the thinking changed when Omar took over. Now we also have to factor in the input of new OC Arthur Smith.

1. OL coach Pat Meyer was retained despite a struggling unit. The OL coach has to teach the blocking scheme to fit the offense. Do the steelers think Meyer was yet another steeler handcuffed by Canada? Does Smith think Meyer can teach his system?
I would guess if Meyer didn’t fit in what Arthur Smiths system he’d be gone.
2. What is the blocking scheme? In Atlanta, Smith used lots of outside zone. Steelers didn't. Are they going to do outside zone? The answer to this can completely change your OL rankings.
I think we have guys who can play zone. Might need better athleticism at LG and Center. But I think they can play zone if that’s what Smith wants.
3. Do they think Dan Moore fits in the new offense and will be an OK starter? The steelers pre draft visits have them talking to OTs so they want an upgrade but is that a luxury or a need? I ask this question ahead of Center because if they think Moore stinks and needs replacement then OT is a bigger need than Center.
I don’t think Dan Moore is in the long term plans. Jones is the future at LT and unless Moore moves to LG where he would have the athleticism to play zone my guess he leaves via free agency in 2025. Then likely kicks inside lol
4. How many Centers do they actually like? Do they think a later round guy like Nourzad can start as a rookie? And i don't mean in a cross your fingers sort of way like with Kendrick Green.
This is where I’m not sure. I honestly don’t think they’ll take one in round. I think they feel comfortable with Herbig at center if needed.
5. Are they open to James Daniels moving to C? Center could be scarce. If they don't want to move Daniels then they may have to draft a C in the 1st or possibly trade up in a later round to guarantee they get one. If they're OK with moving Daniels, it opens up the draft pool to G and C so maybe they can wait a bit longer.
I would be fine with that but I don’t think that’s the plan. He’s played RG his entire career so I think that’s where he stays.
6. They added DeShon Elliot and Dante Jackson to the secondary. Do they think that gives them adequate starters and only need to draft DB as a want not a need?
Both are insurance. Both can start and not be a liability. But if a better option was drafted then we’d just have depth. This allows us to not reach on a player.
7. How much does Smith like or trust Pickens in his system? If he loves Pickens then they just need a #2 WR. In this draft they could wait a long time because it's so deep. They may also be able to trade for a veteran to fill that role. If Smith is not sure Pickens fits, then WR is a pretty big need that may have to be addressed in Rd 2 or 3.
Smith system typically is one true #1 receiver and a lot of TE. The question is do the Steelers feel Pickens is the long term solution at WR.

8. What are the thoughts on the DL? Does Cam have a few good years left as a starter or quality role player? Are they done with Leal and Loudermilk? Do they see anybody aside from Benton as a long term future starter? If they think Cam only has 1 year left as a starter and don't see anybody else as a future starter then DL is a pretty big need. Maybe you have to pull the trigger on Johnny Newton or Byron Murphy in rd 1.
I think we need to get at least one young DL. I don’t think Newton or Murphy fits the bill. I would think Ruke Orhohoro, Maason Smith or Braden Fiske would be more likely candidates.
9. Do they plan to sign Freiermuth to a 2nd contract? TE is very important to Smith's offense. Washington may be a good blocker but likely won't be much of a playmaker as a receiver. If they don't see Pat in future plans then TE is a need.
I feel TE might be a draft target just to insure the possibility of Freiermuth leaving. Not first or second but maybe our 2nd 3rd or 4th round pick.
10. What's menage a trois, or, that is, What is sex when you have three people? What are laws if they ain't fair and equal? What's Clark Kent without a telephone booth? What is a liquor if it ain't 80 proof? What are the youth if they ain't rebellin'? What's Ralph Kramden, if he ain't yellin'.. At Ed Norton, what is coke snortin'? What is position if there is no contortin'? What is hip-hop if it doesn't have violence? Chill for a minute, Doug E. Fresh said silence.
It’s a crapshoot. Pick guys that you like and don’t overthink it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Don’t forget Andy Wiedl, his input is imperative to the moves we are seeing.

The only thing there I could think of at the time is that They must feel he can teach what they want. I was more in favor of replacing him.

I thinbk they are tired of Dan Moore. He will make good depth or someone mentioned a RG.

I also think Tackle will be addressed before Center………. Barton being a wild card as to position he plays should he be taken.

I think JPJ is not the answer, to many injuries and if they are going Center….. then Frazier would be my pick (Barton option)

Pickens is going nowhere this year. Just my 2 cents

Muuuth is retained. Washington will remain a TE, but used sparingly and in a surprise the “D” role.

Billie the Kid addresses all this banter with his famous & serious line…….. “I’ll make you famous”

Just giving some of my 2 cents Tape, great post and thanks for all along the way.

Salute the nation

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
14 days until you find out who the Steelers pick in the first round and until then, you can read mocks, simulate mocks, and analyze team needs until you're Blue in the face but in the end, it's all a crap shoot guessing game. I'm bummed that I didn't get into the game early on. These clueless asshats get paid millions to guess, and guess incorrectly.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
14 days until you find out who the Steelers pick in the first round and until then, you can read mocks, simulate mocks, and analyze team needs until you're Blue in the face but in the end, it's all a crap shoot guessing game. I'm bummed that I didn't get into the game early on. These clueless asshats get paid millions to guess, and guess incorrectly.
my mocks alone would pay for this board's bandwidth for the next century.

steelcan58

Reaction score
Smith system typically is one true #1 receiver and a lot of TE. The question is do the Steelers feel Pickens is the long term solution at WR.

I feel TE might be a draft target just to insure the possibility of Freiermuth leaving. Not first or second but maybe our 2nd 3rd or 4th round
I've thought we might go with a lot of multiple TEs for a while now. Especially since we traded Johnson.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Love the OP. Great questions to ponder...

Berm's two cents:

1. OT is a greater need than OC in round 1
2. Mr. Smith would have made a stink about our OL coach if he didn't put can't teach his system.
3. I honestly think we're going to see a brand new version of Arthur Smith at OC. Yes, running the ball with be paramount; but Mr. Smith has better weapons on the perimeter than he had in Tennessee and Atlanta. WR would be my target with the second pick, if they don't snap one up before the draft.
4. All the banter about using TEs in Arthur's offense puzzles me. He had the most athletic TE I've ever seen in Kyle Pitts and Muth's stats are currently on par (well kinda of the same ball park) with his last season... his rookie season was phenomenal however.

We shall see...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

Berm's two cents:

1. OT is a greater need than OC in round 1
2. Mr. Smith would have made a stink about our OL coach if he didn't put can't teach his system.
3. I honestly think we're going to see a brand new version of Arthur Smith at OC. Yes, running the ball with be paramount; but Mr. Smith has better weapons on the perimeter than he had in Tennessee and Atlanta. WR would be my target with the second pick, if they don't snap one up before the draft.
4. All the banter about using TEs in Arthur's offense puzzles me. He had the most athletic TE I've ever seen in Kyle Pitts and Muth's stats are currently on par (well kinda of the same ball park) with his last season... his rookie season was phenomenal however.

We shall see...
I don't think OT is a greater need. There isn't a starting C on the roster. There isn't a number 2 WR on the roster.

But value wise I would think T would be the best value pick. But that of course is dependent on how the first round shakes out ..

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score

Berm's two cents:

I doubt this is true, we don't have a single WR on or near the level of A.J. Brown like he had in TN. Pickens has the potential but hasn't DONE IT yet. Immaturity still could be in GP's way of achieving star status.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
I doubt this is true, we don't have a single WR on or near the level of A.J. Brown like he had in TN. Pickens has the potential but hasn't DONE IT yet. Immaturity still could be in GP's way of achieving star status.
I don't know if we know that, yet. George has similar success and catch percentages as A.J. in a far inferior offensive system and with a way worse OC than Philly. CAIII, jury is still out but in his "breakout" year he was only targeted 30 times in a **** system with **** Quarterback play. If you include Muth and Najee as receiving weapons I believe Berm has a valid point.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
A lot of good thought questions here.

1. Smith must be fine with Meyer. He has done alright in his role if you look at the progress over the course of the season, it just seems to take the OL 8-10 games to figure it out and that isn't acceptable.

3. The pre-draft process screams RT or CB in the first round.

4. Center doesn't seem like a high priority, at least not at 1.20.

5. I doubt it or they probably would've done it already.

6. Like RT, I think they are looking very closely at a first-round CB to get a lockdown duo.

7. Pickens can be that type of receiver, but he has a lot to prove.

8. I don't think the defensive line is in as dire straights as some make it out to be. Cam isn't going to be an elite pass rusher anymore, but they still have a solid starting three and compared to WR, C, OT, CB, I'm not sure the priority is there. With that said, there are a few prospects I really like and would strongly consider in rounds 2-4.

9. Freiermuth really fell off last season and that was a product of both the QB and the offense as well as his inability to stay on the field. At his best, he's in that tier 3 of tight ends, which is still very good. Not sure if he's in the long-term plans, but it'd be nice to start signing some young guys to longer contracts.

xjx

Reaction score
Tomlin has all the answers to your questions. Not everyone likes Tomlin answers. 9 wins is the goal.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of good thought questions here.

1. Smith must be fine with Meyer. He has done alright in his role if you look at the progress over the course of the season, it just seems to take the OL 8-10 games to figure it out and that isn't acceptable.

3. The pre-draft process screams RT or CB in the first round.

4. Center doesn't seem like a high priority, at least not at 1.20.

5. I doubt it or they probably would've done it already.

6. Like RT, I think they are looking very closely at a first-round CB to get a lockdown duo.

7. Pickens can be that type of receiver, but he has a lot to prove.

8. I don't think the defensive line is in as dire straights as some make it out to be. Cam isn't going to be an elite pass rusher anymore, but they still have a solid starting three and compared to WR, C, OT, CB, I'm not sure the priority is there. With that said, there are a few prospects I really like and would strongly consider in rounds 2-4.

9. Freiermuth really fell off last season and that was a product of both the QB and the offense as well as his inability to stay on the field. At his best, he's in that tier 3 of tight ends, which is still very good. Not sure if he's in the long-term plans, but it'd be nice to start signing some young guys to longer contracts.
I think I they will let Smith tweak the O to his desire. I think their scheme will change.

Their 1st round draft approach really should be interesting and will dictate what their needs will be following the draft. I also think it will be RT or corner with WR the dark horse.

I don't want to lock anything in but I am not sure how they don't trade up in 2 for a C.

I still hope for a QB sooner than later but I think they have pigeonholed their way into having to pick other positions early.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta come away with a starting Center.

I agree, but unless the righ top guy is there in 1st, you can wait a round or two.

I wouldn’t move up to get JPJ, to many leg issues & concussion.

Now Frazier or Barton, might make sense, unless the stud RT is there.

Then 2nd round on C

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
JPJ has some significant injury history including multiple concussions. Also, he only has 13 starts at Center 2 at G and 1 at DT. He's inexperienced, and the Pac 12 has mostly crappy defenses. Aside from the Pac 12 schedule, Oregon played Portland State, Texas Tech, Hawaii and a bowl against Liberty.

In looking at the consensus DT rankings he did not face a single DT that is expected to be drafted this year. He looked good at senior bowl practices but got injured on day 2.

The steelers had him for a visit but that may have been to have their Drs take a look at him more than anything.

He has limited experience. He's a decent athlete but not elite. Drafting him in the 1st is not a sure thing.

Then you have another guy the steelers have been linked to, Amarius Mims. He only has 8 starts total at RT. He may not be ready to start as a rookie. But he has elite physical talents. If he stayed in school, he'd probably be a top 5 pick in 25.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
with Porter, Jackson, and Trice in the Secondary, I don't believe the Steelers take a CB in the first two rounds. They're focus will be on RT, WR and the picks will be based on draft value when it's their pick. There are plenty of quality free agent Centers still out there that fits Smith's Zone blocking scheme so there is no need to reach for any of these mostly unproven Centers in the draft. The Steelers are obviously in a "Win it now" mindset based on the coaching and ownership interviews and the aggressive free agency thus far. With that mindset, do you start a rookie on this line being the caliber they are? I don't think so...but hey...It's Mike Tomlin we're talking about here.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
with Porter, Jackson, and Trice in the Secondary, I don't believe the Steelers take a CB in the first two rounds. They're focus will be on RT, WR and the picks will be based on draft value when it's their pick. There are plenty of quality free agent Centers still out there that fits Smith's Zone blocking scheme so there is no need to reach for any of these mostly unproven Centers in the draft. The Steelers are obviously in a "Win it now" mindset based on the coaching and ownership interviews and the aggressive free agency thus far. With that mindset, do you start a rookie on this line being the caliber they are? I don't think so...but hey...It's Mike Tomlin we're talking about here.
I don't think they are banking on Trice nor should they.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Who in the hell is Mel Kiper ...........anyway ......... He better not tug on Superman's cape ..... obviously

Supe, likes a different part of his suit…. Tugged……………… A friend told me.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Plus, just because they are on a “win it now” schedule, doesn’t make it any easier if they take short cuts.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I can see and agree with this logic. People forget reports had Trice looking better than Porter in camp. He’s still relatively an unknown commodity but the coaching staff might feel comfortable with him to compete for a spot. And Jackson is a nice insurance policy if Trice can’t take the opposite outside cb of Porter. Having two starting cbs on rookie contracts would be advantageous in keeping other veterans the next couple of seasons.

I personally think Khan has done a good job not having any glaring holes on this roster going into the draft. I think we can all agree upgrading RT, OC, and #2 WR should be on the radar and to a lesser extent CB, S, and perhaps a developmental Quarterback. But as a whole the team doesn’t have glaring needs. I feel Dylan Cook and Spencer Anderson wouldn’t be much if any drop over Chuks. If herbig can snap he’s not a drop from Cole. I cant see Trice and Jackson being much worse than Pat Pete. Elliott should be an upgrade ver Neal. Calvin Austin might be a drop off over DJ but getting George more targets should mitigate that. And Russ and Fields are light years better than Pickett and Trubisky.