• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pre-draft buy or sell #dare2stare

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Every once and awhile I throw these out, so let's dive in (scuba gear not provided- swim at your own risk):

1. The band of the hand. One of these 5 prospects will be the Steelers first rounder. (In no specific order)

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton

2. Steelers are likely to make a trade in some capacity. Whether it is up or down or for a veteran player.

3. Steelers will draft a QB in the 4th or 6th round. With Wilson and Fields on the roster their 4th QB will be drafted later than sooner.

4. Steelers will double up at a position in the draft. (possibly at WR or CB) It is BPA dependant of course.

5. Steelers will not draft a guard, nose tackle, or a punter. My thinking is lack of need will make it play out this way.

6. Even if they wait until round 3 to draft a WR they will come in and start.

7. Omar and the gang will make one move that either shocks you and or surprises you. It could be a trade for an unanticipated player, or position. Or they drafted someone you ruled out for whatever reason in your mind. (like not being available or you simply dislike the prospect)

8. Outside of injuries the ability to win at least one playoff game will be dependant on getting at least three starters from this class. (They don't necessarily need to start this season but be significant contributors)

9. Center, Wide receiver, Tackle, Corner back. This is the Steelers 4 greatest needs in the correct pecking order.

10. Over half this board will watch the draft in it's entirety. From start to finish. Difficult to answer but not impossible Ethan.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Every year I get excited for the draft and watch every day. Every year I tell myself it is a waste of good time by day 3. then I do the exact same thing the next year.
It is ok to waste some time here and there. It only is here once a year.😉

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Every once and awhile I throw these out, so let's dive in (scuba gear not provided- swim at your own risk):

1. The band of the hand. One of these 5 prospects will be the Steelers first rounder. (In no specific order)

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton

BUY, BARTON, due to his ability to be either a C or a RT.

2. Steelers are likely to make a trade in some capacity. Whether it is up or down or for a veteran player.

SELL, I think they stay put due to the depth of some of the positions needed. WR is very well third round pick

3. Steelers will draft a QB in the 4th or 6th round. With Wilson and Fields on the roster their 4th QB will be drafted later than sooner.

BUY. I hope like hellA they do actually get some potential QB and actually develop him, instead of ”losing” him for no capital.

4. Steelers will double up at a position in the draft. (possibly at WR or CB) It is BPA dependant of course.

BUY, but I think WR due to the later rounds availability.

5. Steelers will not draft a guard, nose tackle, or a punter. My thinking is lack of need will make it play out this way.

BUY, the GREAT Dan Moore may be moved to RG, position flexibility is alive and well, no swimming needed.

BUY, the 3rd rounder will beat out current roster members, other than Pickens.

7. Omar and the gang will make one move that either shocks you and or surprises you. It could be a trade for an unanticipated player, or position. Or they drafted someone you ruled out for whatever reason in your mind. (like not being available or you simply dislike the prospect)

BUY, They take RT in the 1st, then OC in the 2nd, disproving they will not go back to back OL

8. Outside of injuries the ability to win at least one playoff game will be dependant on getting at least three starters from this class. (They don't necessarily need to start this season but be significant contributors)

SELL, I’d go with 2 significant (opinion based definition susceptible to wide range of meaning)

9. Center, Wide receiver, Tackle, Corner back. This is the Steelers 4 greatest needs in the correct pecking order.

BUY, but stipulate the C position will not be the first pick. RT will come first.

10. Over half this board will watch the draft in it's entirety. From start to finish. Difficult to answer but not impossible Ethan.

Um, Isn’t Ethan on Mission Impossible and prevails over all that comes forth?

My guess is less than 20% watch it in full,…… Unless they Scuba Divers have under-water TVs to watch, then that % goes up significantly

slash, thanks for these as they are absolutely awesome fun.!!!

Salute the nation

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
It is ok to waste some time here and there. It only is here once a year.😉
And it comes at a time when there is a real dearth of football activity/news, so it works out well. I love the draft. I don't sit and watch every minute live, as there are some real lulls between Steeler picks and it's easy to catch up on picks you missed, but I do watch most of the 1st round live and a lot of day 2 live as well. There are always twists and turns that you don't expect. Always. The draft is a refreshing return to some NFL "action" at a time when you need it.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
BUY, BARTON, due to his ability to be either a C or a RT.

I was also going to say this: Pgh is (overly?) in love with OLmen who can play multiple positions. And it often leads to players who master NO position (like Green). They also do this with players in general, too much many would say. (What position does Leal play again?)
SELL, I think they stay put due to the depth of some of the positions needed. WR is very well third round pick
And I got to ask: Why did we trade for CB Donte Jackson again? The guy seems totally ignored when considering depth at CB. We traded for him, is he not worth anything at all? He's been in the league 6 years, not 12. He should be near his peak but doesn't seem to be considered so. And he is not considered a slot CB either. So did we trade CJ for purey a backup CB?

BUY, but I think WR due to the later rounds availability.
IF we do go fairly early on C and RT, we got to choose between DT, CB and WR, hard to say, hopefully BPA.

BUY, the GREAT Dan Moore may be moved to RG, position flexibility is alive and well, no swimming needed.

I believe Moore himself is resisting the move away from LT (it's where the $ is), but someone needs to grow a pair and let him know he's not cutting it at LT and he's gonna have to move if he wants a roster spot.
BUY, the 3rd rounder will beat out current roster members, other than Pickens.
But that means they'd have to beat out the ever-disappearing Austin!
BUY, They take RT in the 1st, then OC in the 2nd, disproving they will not go back to back OL
We will soon see. I have my doubts. Tomlin is always reisting OL focus. Always wants to try to do it on the cheap on OL.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton

Soft Buy

Hard Buy

Soft Buy

Buy

Buy

Sell

Hard Buy

Soft Buy

Hard Buy

Watch or listen on SNR for but half the board Sell, Sell, Sell

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton

A tentative BUY - With so many needs, there are too many directions they could go and a lot will depend on how many QBs go early.

BUY - I could see a trade down in the first, a trade up in the second or third.

SELL - They aren't going to make a move for a QB without seeing what they have in Fields.

BUY - Wide receiver is the spot this year.

BUY - Not entirely a buy because I could see them going DL on day 2 depending on how the prospects fall.

BUY - They may not be WR2 to start the year, but will be WR3.

BUY - With so many variables, it's hard to not have at least one surprise. The surprise may also be drafting someone who I didn't think was even going to fall (or maybe they move up to go get them).

BUY - Jones, Porter, Benton were all key in last year's success. While the defense is better, the offense is a huge ? on paper right now. We have QBs who can produce more TDs, but the lack of WRs is very concerning right now.

SELL - WR, C, RT, CB

SELL - Drawn out over three days, I don't see it. I am a diehard draft fan but don't watch all of day 3.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton

A tentative BUY - With so many needs, there are too many directions they could go and a lot will depend on how many QBs go early.

BUY - I could see a trade down in the first, a trade up in the second or third.

SELL - They aren't going to make a move for a QB without seeing what they have in Fields.

BUY - Wide receiver is the spot this year.

BUY - Not entirely a buy because I could see them going DL on day 2 depending on how the prospects fall.

BUY - They may not be WR2 to start the year, but will be WR3.

BUY - With so many variables, it's hard to not have at least one surprise. The surprise may also be drafting someone who I didn't think was even going to fall (or maybe they move up to go get them).

BUY - Jones, Porter, Benton were all key in last year's success. While the defense is better, the offense is a huge ? on paper right now. We have QBs who can produce more TDs, but the lack of WRs is very concerning right now.

SELL - WR, C, RT, CB

SELL - Drawn out over three days, I don't see it. I am a diehard draft fan but don't watch all of day 3.
You think WR huh. They are missing 2 and arguably number 3. But their number 1 center isn't on the roster. Although it is definitely a weak position for sure. But **** there isn't even a true C on the roster let alone a starter.

I tell you it a WR doesn't get drafted that isn't number 2 capable the O might find themselves in hot water..... Again.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
You think WR huh. They are missing 2 and arguably number 3. But their number 1 center isn't on the roster. Although it is definitely a weak position for sure. But **** there isn't even a true C on the roster let alone a starter.

I tell you it a WR doesn't get drafted that isn't number 2 capable the O might find themselves in hot water..... Again.
I'm a strong believer in having a great center based on the Steelers history with the position. I just don't think JPJ is at the level of Humphrey or Linderbaum, two legit first-round prospects. Barton is intriguing because of his size and plus athleticism. Beyond this, the Steelers won a Super Bowl with Justin Hartwig at center. Right now they have an inconsistent George Pickens and a bunch of JAGs at receiver. They need at least one more playmaker. I also will never argue drafting a shutdown CB in the first.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Every year I get excited for the draft and watch every day. Every year I tell myself it is a waste of good time by day 3. then I do the exact same thing the next year.
the last few years watching stryker's draft show have been a huge waste of time

but will still be there this year if he does it again

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton

Sell -

Buy - possible trade back in round 2 to pick up additional picks
sell not likely this year

Buy - with the issues at ILB it could be there also based on BPA
Buy - only IOL will be C

Buy - lots of talent at WR
Buy - they will do something to shock the world
Buy - C, OT, and WR all need improvement
Buy
sell- most will just wait to ***** after the fact

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton
Buy. If Barton is there he is the pick
Buy. Trade back in the 1st and still get your guy.
Sell
Buy WR.
Buy
Sell. just because I think they draft 1 in rd 2.
Buy every year
Could go either way but I will sell.
buy
Buy. But 1 (or is it 2 now) poster will come on after the fact with the perfect draft. But not before. never before

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton
Buy, it's a solid group and more than one of those will be there if we remain at
Buy, second or third round
3. Steelers will draft a QB in the 4th or 6th round. With Wilson and Fields on the roster their 4th QB will be drafted later than soonr.
Buy, either Wilson or Fields will be gone next season, maybe both. They will want someone to learn the offense instead of waiting for next season.
Tough one, if they use one of their 3rds to move up. Makes it doubtful. If they accumulate another pick, then yes. I'll say Buy.
Buy
Sell, at least where they're picking now. At pick 84, I'm thinking around 15 receivers will be gone by then. It's a high number but there will be allot of value on the board of NFL teams at this position and hard to pass on. I mean a WR at 84 could come in and contribute but expecting a starter is dicey at best.
7. Omar and the gang will make one move that either shocks you and or surprises you. It could be a trade for an unanticipated player, or position. Or they drafted someone you ruled out for whatever reason in your mind. (like not being available or you simply dislike the prospect.
Buy, if your question includes a trade before the draft. Even if they don't do it before the draft, I think there's one more move that will surprise most.
8. Outside of injuries the ability to win at least one playoff game will be dependant on getting at least three starters from this class. (They don't necessarily need to start this season but be significant contributer)
Buy, they definitely need help at key positions. Though they don't have the early second like last year, they need to come close to the success of the 2023 draft.
Buy but I think it goes that way. I'm predicting a OT or CB goes first because of the position's value.
Sell, I'm guessing most of us can get away with the first day or two with a periodic ackowledgement that our wife exists and is wonderful but mine's patience usually starts fading midway day two. And to be honest, day three is so full of mindless chater on ESPN 2 and NFL Channel that I just look at my phone for occasional updates.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton
1. I'd add Arnold and Fuaga to that group. If fashanu or odunze fall then those are definitely in play too.
Buy, for sure
Sell, Fields is their 6 round pick investment
Buy, WR probably
Buy, but if Sweat falls enough he might be our future NT. Why punter? We just signed one to a pretty penny
sell, he might start by mid season but not from the get go.
Buy, this is a commonplace in Steelers drafts, a guy out of the leftfield that looks like an over reach. But I hope is a trade for a starting C or WR
Sell, one or two would be enough if the QB play is there.
Agree on the needs, disagree on pecking order
I always try to, do remember a couple of drafts ago with the commissioner half sleep on his couch in front of the chimney reading draftee names in the final rounds. Looked like the scene of a movie of an old man reading stories to his grandchildren before bed time.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score

MIms
Latham
DeJean
Wiggins
Barton
I would accept Latham, Dejean or Barton if we stay at 20

Highly likely we see a movement in the 1st or 2nd

If they don't bite on Penix or Nix if they fall......... I doublt they draft a QB in the later rounds this year

WR is the only position I see a double dip because of the depth in this draft

Don't see a OG or P ........ DT almost for sure this year

I believe there are prospects at WR that will come in and be able to contribute heavily if not have a starting role

At least one pick will surprise ....... and I think it will be on Offense ......... TE

Yes sir

Tackle Center WR CB

10. Over half this board will watch the draft in it's entirety. From start to finish. Difficult to answer but not impossible Ethan. less than 30%

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
this year is more enticing because I want to see what the Kahn/Weidl combo has in store ........ if Tomlin does not receive an extension before the draft it will make me even more interested in watching the draft....

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score

I think the Steelers trade back in the first when the big name tackles are gone, maybe with KC so that they can draft Brian Thomas. If we can net a low 2nd rounder for that then I'm there. That would allow us flexibility to move around in the 2nd and come out with C, OT and A.N.Other (see 9 above). I wouldn't rule out a DL either as Cam can only go on for so long and our DL goes from a B to a D without him in there.