• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

potential free agent signings (if you're new to this, start at the bottom and work your way up)

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice list Supe...

Since we are talking the Pittsburgh Steelers...I focused on rankings 50 and up....
However I really liked number 46 so I included him

Here is my wish list...obviously not all ....but half of these guys would work..

46-53-57-79-86-97

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Supe, what if we are "OLD" to this, can we start middle / end / possibly even bottoms up ?

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
bottom up because that's how we do in spending. Top 10-15? forget about those guys.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlinson and Donte Jackson.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
LOL
**** off

Glad you can appreciate the humor................................ LoL

He's clamoring to go to the ravens next season, says he wants to spend time with Lamar, a real QB.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
S Jordan Whitehead (if the Steelers don't re-sign Edmunds)
CB Donte Jackson
ILB Anthony Walker Jr.
QB Mitch Trubisky

I need to look for OL, backup DL, WR, and RB.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Oline:
58. MOSES T maybe he can open up a lane if not not a river.
68. ALLEN C demote Green to backup C/G while he improves technique.
After both signings the team Just needs a G high in the draft and the Oline is fixed.
(75. Corbett or 86. Cappa ifthey go G in free agency and then draft a Tackle. )

Defensive backs:
90. Kearse S. He might be cheaper than Edmunds and better at coverage
67. Ward CB
N/A. Witherspoon CB
The three of them plus Minkah should hold the fort. Draft a CB if value falls at 2nd/3rd round.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
S Jordan Whitehead (if the Steelers don't re-sign Edmunds)
CB Donte Jackson
ILB Anthony Walker Jr.
QB Mitch Trubisky

I need to look for OL, backup DL, WR, and RB.
I see what people hope to get from Mitch, I fight to see him as anything other than a backup. Would he even beat out Rudy? I dunno I want to think there will be a better option out there when the dust settles.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I see what people hope to get from Mitch, I fight to see him as anything other than a backup. Would he even beat out Rudy? I dunno I want to think there will be a better option out there when the dust settles.
From my perspective, it's not that I think Mitch is all of a sudden going to turn into a stud, I just think he was in a really bad situation in Chicago. That team has been a wasteland for QBs throughout their entire existence as a franchise. In a better situation, he could be a respectable player. For as much as he struggled in Chicago, he was 29-21 as a starter and had a 1.7:1 TD:INT ratio. He also mobile and just gives the team a better chance to win over Rudolph. At this point, I don't think anyone inside the franchise believes Rudolph is the next in line. The cheap contract speaks to it. The fact they kept Ben an extra year supports it. Most importantly, they haven't anointed him the starter yet. If Rudolph was "the guy" heading into next season there wouldn't be any question at this point. Other than maybe Jameis, I don't see any better options unless they decide to break the bank with a blockbuster trade. If they were close, I would go for it. I'm not sure they are.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really struggle with the Rudolph/Haskins/3rd Tier FA QB question.

I definitely do NOT want to spend any significant money on a FA QB just to watch them suck, or at best keep the team in the ole "never had a losing season" pocket. This is my issue with Rodgers or Wilson. Sure, they'll be significant factors in some wins, but they simply cannot, by themsevles, overcome the massive deficiencies that exist in at least 4 other position groups in the team.

Thus, the Steelers would have to commit almost ALL their cap space just to pick up a stop-gap that will ultimately do nothing more than preserve Tomlin's 8-8-1 dream. I'm MUCH more interested in picking up OL, DL, MLB and CB help so that the team can begin to shore up their core, particularly in the trenches and THEN focus on a franchise or at least high-quality QB that can give a balanced, sound team the chance to compete.

I have no issue with the team struggling a little next year in the standings if they are actively putting together a core that can gel and improve in the next year or two and give the team an actual shot at winning say... a playoff game.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For the record, I watched some of the 2008 season games on replay. Dick Lebeau > Mike Tomlin as a DC.

And it isn't close. Dick was like 800 years old and STILL more creative and innovative than Mike Tomlin. And don't even get me started on fundamental schematic football.

interesting sidenote. In the divisional playoffs, they played the Chargers who happened to employ a unique defensive formation strategy a handful of times in the game, namely 2 down linemen, 4 linebackers and 5 defensive backs. (Sound familiar?)

Willie Parker and Mwelde Moore DESTROYED them with the run game.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Going for a top-end aging QB that will cost us multiple top picks and a huge cap hit will only set the team further back in the long run. They need to rebuild the deficiencies and get a QB a year or two down the road and preferably in the draft. If they swing and miss at a 1st round QB this year, that will set us back several years as well but won't come with the cap hit or stop us from being able to rebuild the rest of the team. They can recover from missing on a draft pick quicker than using all of their cap space and giving up picks for an aging QB with no team around him to truly be a competitor. Bringing in a Rodgers type this year (even if he was dumb enough to do it with no betterment to the OL and WR's since we'll have no cap left or top draft picks) just makes no sense at all.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
anyone I want we can't afford, anyone we can afford I don't want.
Oh if there was any year they can afford it is this one. That won't be a viable excuse for them.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Van Der Esche and Highsmith at ILB

Winston at QB

Conner is available, but I think he probably priced himself out of being a backup

I'm also a huge Tyron Matthews guy, and he'd be perfect at SS with Minkah! Kearse is intriguing as well.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like my Rodgers pipe dream just got even slimmer. Denver is hiring Hackett as their HC.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
From my perspective, it's not that I think Mitch is all of a sudden going to turn into a stud, I just think he was in a really bad situation in Chicago. That team has been a wasteland for QBs throughout their entire existence as a franchise. In a better situation, he could be a respectable player. For as much as he struggled in Chicago, he was 29-21 as a starter and had a 1.7:1 TD:INT ratio. He also mobile and just gives the team a better chance to win over Rudolph. At this point, I don't think anyone inside the franchise believes Rudolph is the next in line. The cheap contract speaks to it. The fact they kept Ben an extra year supports it. Most importantly, they haven't anointed him the starter yet. If Rudolph was "the guy" heading into next season there wouldn't be any question at this point. Other than maybe Jameis, I don't see any better options unless they decide to break the bank with a blockbuster trade. If they were close, I would go for it. I'm not sure they are.
I agree, but is it truly a better situation in Pittsburgh right now? If it is, it is marginal at best. If the Steelers fill some of those holes with quality athletes, it can improve rapidly. Still, I wouldn't even be surprised if the Steelers drafted a WR in the first round. Would you? Knowing they desperately need OL, DL, ILB and CB, it would be so Mike Tomlin to grab some no name WR from Bemidji State Community College because he has pedigree. I just have little faith they'll rebuild this the right way.