• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post draft Roster thoughts

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So at QB its pretty evident we are going to go with Wilson as the starter and Fields as tge backup... the only qiestion is do we keep our draft pick as a gadget guy or go more traditional

The offensive line is stacked... at this point, barring injury, there are probably 10 guys going to push for 9 spots... it would not surprise me if a guy like Herbig or Moore gets traded at camp end... depending on how the rookies look. I dont think they keep 10 since Mount Washington is basically a olineman anyways...

Assuming we call Patterson a Rb and we keep Colletto as a true FB, the only two true RBs going to be on the roster will be Harris and Warren.
At TE its very possible we keep 4, though Heyward and pruitt are basically hbacks... We know Arthurs O is TE heavy.. and Wr light...

At WR i am sure Pickens and Wilson are absolutely making the roster barring injury or trade... after that, id assume there will be two or likely three more spots for some of the following mess of guys:
Jefferson, Austin3, Mims,Fitzpatrick or Watkins... with Fitzpatricks ST play id give him a leg up on Boykins old spot...,

On D I have no idea who the 4th OLB is gonna be...
i also dont have any idea who the slot cb will be ... there absolutely is an open spot to fill there
I think we are set at outside CB.. it is inside we are missing someone.

DL is the only real area of concern... right now the backups would be Adams, who is average.. loudermilk, and maybe leal if those two have gotten any better... but that potential last spot is a real question... maybe lee the rookie? Fehoko?

Safety is ok if Thompson is a viable backup, and Ilb could be stacked if Holcomb is healthy...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
One otger thing, one of our current rostered guys has an international player exemption, meaning we can have 91 in camp... i think we currently have 87... now some of those open spots could be for fodder spots , like a second punter, but i think you see one or two big adds ... ill guess a slot CB/S and a vet OLB...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
One otger thing, one of our current rostered guys has an international player exemption, meaning we can have 91 in camp... i think we currently have 87... now some of those open spots could be for fodder spots , like a second punter, but i think you see one or two big adds ... ill guess a slot CB/S and a vet OLB...
You have that free agent DE they brought in as well. I take it he replaced Watts. I thought Adams played ok for a backup. Lee for me looks like a long shot. My biggest area of concern is outside CB depth, and slot corner. A WR opposite Pickens. Then I am right there with you in regards to DE. I presume they feel that free agent DE is their safeguard.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
You have that free agent DE they brought in as well. I take it he replaced Watts. I thought Adams played ok for a backup. Lee for me looks like a long shot. My biggest area of concern is outside CB depth, and slot corner. A WR opposite Pickens. Then I am right there with you in regards to DE. I presume they feel that free agent DE is their safeguard.
Outside CB may be a strength..the key guys are just all too young to really know about yet. . we will likely switch to a more man press style that austin favors... we have a glut of young guys in that mold now... JPjr, Rush, Trice... i dont think the guy from the sixth round makes the roster , but he would fit this too...

Trice has all the tools if he stays healthy.
Rush has a better set of tools , he was just really raw... had these two been drafted where they were projected to go, people wouldnt be as down on the position... its kind of a perspective thing...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
QB - Wilson, Fields, Allen
It will be nearly impossible for this group not to be more productive than last season. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll finish with a better record. Pickett did find ways to lead game-winning drives/4QCBs. Overall, I think the offense will be more fun to watch and believe they're building an offense around Fields, even if he doesn't start until 2025. Still, this is a below average group until proven otherwise. GRADE: C-

RB - Harris, Warren, Patterson
Harris and Warren were one of the best duos last season and added Patterson to the mix. It's a deeper group this season and combined with an upgraded offensive line, they should be very productive. GRADE: A

WRs - Pickens, Wilson, Van Jefferson, Austin, Watkins, Mims
Pickens has proven to be a solid WR2. Can he be a legit WR1? Wilson has potential but will need to prove himself early on. A bunch of 4s and 5s after this. Without going around the NFL, this has to be a bottom 5 group right now. GRADE: D+

TEs - Freiermuth, Washington, Heyward, Pruitt
At his best, Freiermuth is between a tier 2-3 tight, which is still good. He was a big disappointment last year, though a lot was out of his control. Washington could've brought more, IMO. Heyward is a gadget piece who really isn't a TE, but can contribute in spots. Pruitt is a good depth piece. Considering when they're healthy and playing to their potential, this is a good group. GRADE: B+

OL - Troy Fautanu, Isaac Seumalo, Zach Frazier, James Daniels, Broderick Jones, Dan Moore, Nate Herbig, Mason McCormick, Dylan Cook, Spencer Anderson
Young and inexperienced, but all of a sudden talented. A lot to prove for this group and they'll have to learn to play together. I don't expect immediate results and while it'll take time, this unit should be pretty good by the end of the season. GRADE: B- assuming growing pains

DL - Larry Ogunjobi, Keeanu Benton, Cam Heyward, Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams, DeMarvin Leal, Logan Lee, Isaiahh Loudermilk, Breiden Fehoko
Heyward won't be much of a pass rusher, though will be a good run defender. Ogunjobi runs hot and cold and I expect a big step forward from Benton. I don't think the defensive line is in as dire straights as others...assuming they stay healthy. GRADE: B

EDGE - TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith, Nick Herbig
I'd really like to see them bring in a veteran pass rusher like we had last year. Either way, the starting duo makes this group one of the best in the league. GRADE: A+

ILBs - Patrick Queen, Cole Holcomb (?), Elandon Roberts, Payton Wilson, Mark Robinson
Huge upgrade to this unit during the offseason with Queen and Wilson. If Holcomb can get healthy and play at the level we saw last year, this will be a very good group with the top 5 getting a lot of snaps. GRADE: B+

CBs - Joey Porter Jr., Donte Jackson, Cory Trice, Darius Rush, Ryan Watts
If Fautanu didn't fall, I think a DB would've been a strong bet. I was hoping they'd get one in the second or third but it didn't work out. JPJ needs to continue his growth and maybe they can get the most out of Jackson. There are a couple of young, unproven pieces who will have a chance. There is still work to be done. GRADE: C-

Ss - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DeShon Elliott, Damontae Kazee, Miles Killebrew
Please play Minkah in his position. I think Elliott will be an upgrade. Decent group overall. GRADE: B

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Outside CB may be a strength..the key guys are just all too young to really know about yet. . we will likely switch to a more man press style that austin favors... we have a glut of young guys in that mold now... JPjr, Rush, Trice... i dont think the guy from the sixth round makes the roster , but he would fit this too...

Trice has all the tools if he stays healthy.
Rush has a better set of tools , he was just really raw... had these two been drafted where they were projected to go, people wouldnt be as down on the position... its kind of a perspective thing...
Oh I agree on their potential just want to see that potential show something more than that. But yeah if Trice can stay healthy I think they will be in good shape outside he definitely is a wild card . Not as high on Rush but he will get his chances.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
QB - Wilson, Fields, Allen
It will be nearly impossible for this group not to be more productive than last season. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll finish with a better record. Pickett did find ways to lead game-winning drives/4QCBs. Overall, I think the offense will be more fun to watch and believe they're building an offense around Fields, even if he doesn't start until 2025. Still, this is a below average group until proven otherwise. GRADE: C-

RB - Harris, Warren, Patterson
Harris and Warren were one of the best duos last season and added Patterson to the mix. It's a deeper group this season and combined with an upgraded offensive line, they should be very productive. GRADE: A

WRs - Pickens, Wilson, Van Jefferson, Austin, Watkins, Mims
Pickens has proven to be a solid WR2. Can he be a legit WR1? Wilson has potential but will need to prove himself early on. A bunch of 4s and 5s after this. Without going around the NFL, this has to be a bottom 5 group right now. GRADE: D+

TEs - Freiermuth, Washington, Heyward, Pruitt
At his best, Freiermuth is between a tier 2-3 tight, which is still good. He was a big disappointment last year, though a lot was out of his control. Washington could've brought more, IMO. Heyward is a gadget piece who really isn't a TE, but can contribute in spots. Pruitt is a good depth piece. Considering when they're healthy and playing to their potential, this is a good group. GRADE: B+

OL - Troy Fautanu, Isaac Seumalo, Zach Frazier, James Daniels, Broderick Jones, Dan Moore, Nate Herbig, Mason McCormick, Dylan Cook, Spencer Anderson
Young and inexperienced, but all of a sudden talented. A lot to prove for this group and they'll have to learn to play together. I don't expect immediate results and while it'll take time, this unit should be pretty good by the end of the season. GRADE: B- assuming growing pains

DL - Larry Ogunjobi, Keeanu Benton, Cam Heyward, Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams, DeMarvin Leal, Logan Lee, Isaiahh Loudermilk, Breiden Fehoko
Heyward won't be much of a pass rusher, though will be a good run defender. Ogunjobi runs hot and cold and I expect a big step forward from Benton. I don't think the defensive line is in as dire straights as others...assuming they stay healthy. GRADE: B

EDGE - TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith, Nick Herbig
I'd really like to see them bring in a veteran pass rusher like we had last year. Either way, the starting duo makes this group one of the best in the league. GRADE: A+

ILBs - Patrick Queen, Cole Holcomb (?), Elandon Roberts, Payton Wilson, Mark Robinson
Huge upgrade to this unit during the offseason with Queen and Wilson. If Holcomb can get healthy and play at the level we saw last year, this will be a very good group with the top 5 getting a lot of snaps. GRADE: B+

CBs - Joey Porter Jr., Donte Jackson, Cory Trice, Darius Rush, Ryan Watts
If Fautanu didn't fall, I think a DB would've been a strong bet. I was hoping they'd get one in the second or third but it didn't work out. JPJ needs to continue his growth and maybe they can get the most out of Jackson. There are a couple of young, unproven pieces who will have a chance. There is still work to be done. GRADE: C-

Ss - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DeShon Elliott, Damontae Kazee, Miles Killebrew
Please play Minkah in his position. I think Elliott will be an upgrade. Decent group overall. GRADE: B
I think you are pretty spot on. I also think the Oline has potential growing pains. But more so because of the C position. You have a rookie and Herbig which I am not really high on as a C. Hopefully Frazier can curve those growing pains but for me still a concern until I see it isn’t.

Stewey

Reaction score
My post draft thought in general is not to be suckered in by all the preseason hype that occurred last year.
I've never seen anything like that before. The Steelers were gonna wreck the league, instead themselves became a wreck.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
My post draft thought in general is not to be suckered in by all the preseason hype that occurred last year.
I've never seen anything like that before. The Steelers were gonna wreck the league, instead themselves became a wreck.
The Khan Man made more moves than James Brown, plus a new OC, and it’ll be fun to see the Tomlin Fan Club lose their **** when he goes 10-7 and another first round playoff loss again. :D

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
We are lacking a starting Nickel CB, a vet WR and a 4th OLB.

Suddenly ILB became the deepest position after OL, I'm betting Wilson will steal snaps from Roberts in passing situations.

Safety I think we are fine with the SS brought plus the existing depth and the probowl FS

TE I guess we gotta trust Muth stays healthy and see if Washington gets some safety valve kind os passes to make him part of the passing game.

QB is just average, but could be enough with the system that's been implemented and there's some hope for development with Fields

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Damn I forgot all about Elandon Roberts. He's a badass who brings the wood. I hope he stays healthy and takes a step higher this year.

Stewey

Reaction score
The Khan Man made more moves than James Brown, plus a new OC, and it’ll be fun to see the Tomlin Fan Club lose their **** when he goes 10-7 and another first round playoff loss again. :D

I'd rather you said "if" rather than "when". lol.

But if the Steelers do go deep in the playoffs, I bet many anti-Tomlin fans will say it wasn't because of Tomlin, it was for the reasons you stated.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I think if the Steelers produce a top running game, Wilson might be enough of an upgrade at the QB position for the Steelers to win 12+ games, but he needs someone to throw to.

Pickens has WR1 ability, but needs to show it throughout the season. As of right now, they're counting a lot on Roman Wilson to have an impact right away. WR still needs to be addressed before the season, however, I get the sense whatever they end up doing there will be underwhelming. Ayuk, Metcalf or even Courtland Sutton feel more far fetched as time passes

Defensively, the line concerns me. The rotational guys at NT are average at best and they may be overly confident about Heyward having one more decent season in him. They're depending on Benton being ready to anchor things up front, it seems.

Assuming health, I think the secondary has a chance to be pretty good, despite the questionable CB depth. Porter and Fitzpatrick could emerge as one of the better DB tandems in the league, and Donta Jackson almost literally cannot be any worse than what they've had at CB in recent years. Hopefully, a competent nickel back emerges over the summer.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
Big Ben has to be saying, what the ****!!! I get Dan Moore and Kendrick Green and Russ gets to cook with T Fautanu, Z. Frazier, and B. Jones.

That's some ole bullshit! Why couldn't they ever do that for me? I would have done something with that line, like win a few more Super Bowls.

Last edited:

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I think Lee may have a better shot than you think; they seem to be going back to the "old" way of stocking up on DEs - ala Aaron Smith, Keisel. Those guys took a few seasons to develop and they are gonna give Lee the benefit of the doubt for a few. It's just a guess but it's what I'm going with.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score

But if the Steelers do go deep in the playoffs, I bet many anti-Tomlin fans will say it wasn't because of Tomlin, it was for the reasons you stated.
Shades hasn't won a playoff game in 7 years now. I'd say that is partly his fault. More like mostly. I'd say counting on Shades to all of a sudden get his s--t together isn't a wise bet. Week 1 in the postseason, he's gonna put on his "pee his pants" mode of coaching and we get blown out like usual.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't seen Jerimiah Moon mentioned as that 4th edge. I'm not saying he's a lock for that final 53 but he should be in the conversation. He's a big athletic guy so I'm guessing he would also provide much needed special teams value especially on the kickoff. They'll probably watch him in July and bring in a vet if he looks lost.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score

Well, after just the second year of Khan, and the first year of Smith running the O, what other conclusion could you come up with?

Stewey

Reaction score
Well, after just the second year of Khan, and the first year of Smith running the O, what other conclusion could you come up with?
I would right away want to give credit to the OC and Khan if they make the playoffs and win.

But if they go 10-7 and lose in the first round like Burgundy said, or just get by with "another winning season" you have to blame OC and Kahn as well.
But they'll instead they'll right away want to blame Tomlin.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I would right away want to give credit to the OC and Khan if they make the playoffs and win.

But if they go 10-7 and lose in the first round like Burgundy said, or just get by with "another winning season" you have to blame OC and Kahn as well.
So you support that the HC has nothing to do with the team performance and end results? OOOOO, KKKKKKKKKK, there.

Stewey

Reaction score
So you support that the HC has nothing to do with the team performance and end results? OOOOO, KKKKKKKKKK, there.
What? No.
Maybe you should go back and start over. Start with Burgundy's post and read more slowly.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
What? No.
Maybe you should go back and start over. Start with Burgundy's post and read more slowly.
Hmmm, naaaaa, I'm gonna just address what you asserted.
That sure reads like you don't think Tomlin should be blamed for a "barely winning season and 1st round loss" to me. You state such. You state that "they'll want to blame Tomlin" as if he should not be given any blame for such. He's the gad dang HC for cripes sakes. But you think he shouldn't be blamed for team's results. He's been HC for 17 years, but lets not hold him accountable for the team's results, including the 7 years sans a playoff win. No, no, Tomlin isn't to blame with that little detail, he was only the HC! Not his fault!

Stewey

Reaction score
Hmmm, naaaaa, I'm gonna just address what you asserted.

That sure reads like you don't think Tomlin should be blamed for a "barely winning season and 1st round loss" to me. You state such. You state that "they'll want to blame Tomlin" as if he should not be given any blame for such. He's the gad dang HC for cripes sakes. But you think he shouldn't be blamed for team's results. He's been HC for 17 years, but lets not hold him accountable for the team's results, including the 7 years sans a playoff win. No, no, Tomlin isn't to blame with that little detail, he was only the HC! Not his fault!

And I bet you're the only one.

Stewey

Reaction score

Zona, I'm sitting here driving myself crazy thinking about this. LOL

So, the consensus most likely would be that if they do well and win in the playoffs, its because of Khans player acquisition and the new OC. Not Tomlins coaching.

But if they still blow with a new OC and Kahns players, it pretty confirms what most believe....that Tomlin is not a very good coach.

But wait, if they win in the playoffs, couldn't that mean that Tomlin was a good coach after all...because there was never a great coach that won with bad players. Noll had a mediocre record during the 80"s! Every great coach had great players.

But wait, most say we had enough talent to win playoff games prior to the new OC and Khan.

But wait, but maybe we had enough talent just to never have a losing season, and that's a lot of winning seasons thanks to Tomlin!

IM SO CONFUSED! lol

Last edited:

steelhurt

Reaction score
Boys, sorry but imo this is not a playoff team. You have a team caught in the crosshairs at QB with a 35 year old that’s been sacked 100 times the past two years and another who has potential but has lots of turnovers in his short career. He needs a lot of work.
Now you put them behind two rookies however talented but still rookies, and a second year LT and you have to go through growing pains.
Now no clear cut #2 WR and a rookie slot guy.
One TE who is a good receiver but can’t block well and another who can block but not a threat in the passing game.
Match all that with a HC who constantly plays not to lose and thinks he can still win with defense in this league and a power running game.
Sorry, that dog don’t hunt! This is an 8 maybe 9 win team and sticks us right where we always are. In the middle.