• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Please, let me remind you...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone sounds like Golden Gods in training camp.

All the players are extraordinary. The receivers are nearly unbeatable. Ben makes reads at an incomprehensible level. The running backs make their cuts, both backfield and in traffic with a sense of ease and fluidity that numbs the mind.

The defense, admittedly behind the curve with the overwhelmingly talented offense, still has some flashes of brilliance. The heretofore young and nearly unknown linebackers begin to show signs of dominance. The secondary even occasionally shows flashes of competency.

Then, preseason games commence. The team may or may not demonstrate some degree of ability. Generally they are able to compete, more often than not they end up barely holding their own. We ignore this as the preseason games are merely there to allow the coaches to evaluate talent and exercise training opportunities.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is... Preseason doesn't mean **** aside from separating the wheat from the chaff. I never get excited about the "camp reports" and just how far Coates got behind Cornerback A or B because it just doesn't matter.

All that matters is week 1. Particularly who's on the roster and playing healthy in week 1.

I do appreciate the zeal and zest of the reports though. I just urge us all not to get too tied up in them. I doubt we're going to find the next Gronk sleeping on the roster down there, carrying trays to the Sr. players in the cafeteria.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
obviously you can't garner enough information from the reports like someone here does to already know who is going to make it and who will never be a good player....

your inadequacies are your problem....

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I agree. However, with my massive summer holiday run, one thing I look forward to every morning is reading practice reports from the previous day. Grab my coffee, head to my deck and read as much useless **** as I possibly can. And while I agree with you about the teams health, I would like to see at least see the first units look good and get out. Don't care about final scores. Just a good first or second drive, scoring a TD. Done. Maybe a couple three and outs or a turnover by the D. The team has gotten off to brutal starts in the last several years. If they could come out 3-1 or 4-0 in the first quarter of the season it would go a hell of a long way. And I don't think you can just turn it on at will.

Reactions: wig

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I agree with Coolie. Wig just cause you can't get off on the reports don't mess it up for the rest of us lol. One guy is even Nostradamus based off the reports. Seriously I get your point. I also believe these reports mean nothing. I just post them to past the times. You are correct games is where it's at

Reactions: MTC

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Why dont you post some of this on twitter....

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Wig,

No not everyone will turn out to be great, but the magic of training camp for those of us who can't attend makes the reading and media updates that much special. Even going back to players who have been on this team previous seasons(Vince Williams, Ross Ventrone, Chickillo). Hearing about positive plays in training camp seems to be a move in the right direction. Do I get excited? Yeah. I want the Steelers to assemble the best 53 men on that team. But as you said, sometimes you won't find the next Gronk etc

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Everyone sounds like Golden Gods in training camp reports though.

Time out here. Everyone except our high draft picks. They sound like bums, obviously.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why dont you post some of this on twitter....
Sorry man. Just got back from a reunion in Canada. I know. I've been seriously remiss. I'll do better. I promise.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Speaking of schlock in the print. Anyone read those "Getting to know......." articles. They came up with a template questionnaire and asked every guy the same ****** questions. What do you like about Pittsburgh. What do you know about Steelers football. What do you think you bring to the table. blah blah blah. And it sounded like every player sat down together and one guy answered them all. ****** brutal.

Reactions: MTC

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
The only reports from training camp that gets me hyped up are the "goal line stance" plays. Love hearing who stepped up or got jacked up, RBs or the LBs!!!!!

P

POP

Everyone sounds like Golden Gods in training camp.

All the players are extraordinary. The receivers are nearly unbeatable. Ben makes reads at an incomprehensible level. The running backs make their cuts, both backfield and in traffic with a sense of ease and fluidity that numbs the mind.

The defense, admittedly behind the curve with the overwhelmingly talented offense, still has some flashes of brilliance. The heretofore young and nearly unknown linebackers begin to show signs of dominance. The secondary even occasionally shows flashes of competency.

Then, preseason games commence. The team may or may not demonstrate some degree of ability. Generally they are able to compete, more often than not they end up barely holding their own. We ignore this as the preseason games are merely there to allow the coaches to evaluate talent and exercise training opportunities.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is... Preseason doesn't mean **** aside from separating the wheat from the chaff. I never get excited about the "camp reports" and just how far Coates got behind Cornerback A or B because it just doesn't matter.

All that matters is week 1. Particularly who's on the roster and playing healthy in week 1.

I do appreciate the zeal and zest of the reports though. I just urge us all not to get too tied up in them. I doubt we're going to find the next Gronk sleeping on the roster down there, carrying trays to the Sr. players in the cafeteria.

Wig, I think most of us realize the above. But I think some just enjoy getting enthused about "so in so" being reported to be "looking good." We are in football/Steeler withdrawal so any positive news titillates. Like you, I pay little heed to word coming out of camp, other than injuries, which can be depressing.

Even in preseason GAMES, I have learned to temper my enthusiasm much when a player seems to be productive, but often against guys who won't even end up in the NFL. I used to be way too much stock in players looking good in those games, so much so, that I drafted Eric Zeier in fantasy football over how he looked in preseason....a rookie....in preseason. Granted, we had like 20 draft picks and I took him with my last pick, but still.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
obviously you can't garner enough information from the reports like someone here does to already know who is going to make it and who will never be a good player....

your inadequacies are your problem....

Yeah you probably don't even have one of these fancy measuring things
s-l1000.jpg

Attachments

• 797px-HeadAnthropometry.JPG
    797px-HeadAnthropometry.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: