• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Playoffs against a backup

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Tannehill is ruled out. Moore is a very competent backup and the Steelers have experienced difficulties in this situation in the past. They have to be able to win this game, Simple as that. At home against a good defense with a very good back and a backup QB with limited weapons at receiver. You have to be able to win this game.

mdk2

Reaction score
Tannehill is ruled out. Moore is a very competent backup and the Steelers have experienced difficulties in this situation in the past. They have to be able to win this game, Simple as that. At home against a good defense with a very good back and a backup QB with limited weapons at receiver. You have to be able to win this game.

I hope we have learned from the past. When our defense has given mediocre QBs time in the pocket, they have been able to move the ball on us and win games. I think we have to bring pressure, and a lot of it. Make Moore make quick decisions and try to decipher where and when the blitz is coming from. On 3rd and mediums or long, DO NOT drop 8 in coverage and rush 3, I can't stand when I see that and then the QB has 10 minutes to find an open WR/TE.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Really, a new thread to say what's already been said 100 times in others?

By the way, Miami does not have a good defense. Not as currently constructed. That's why the Steelers are favored by 10 points.

paperclip

Reaction score
How much film is there on Matt Moore?

Is he a "really competent" backup?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Several points... the steelers have several games of film with moore running this team... highly systematic defenses that rely on deciphering trends in playing style and tendencies often struggle with unknowns... im not sure this will be the case this week

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
These are the types of games that scare me - still remember the San Diego fiasco in 1994. Just once I would like to see the Steelers take control early and coast to victory in a playoff game.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I hope we have learned from the past. When our defense has given mediocre QBs time in the pocket, they have been able to move the ball on us and win games. I think we have to bring pressure, and a lot of it. Make Moore make quick decisions and try to decipher where and when the blitz is coming from. On 3rd and mediums or long, DO NOT drop 8 in coverage and rush 3, I can't stand when I see that and then the QB has 10 minutes to find an open WR/TE.

The Patriots had success against Moore by doing the opposite of what you are advocating. Moore has actually been good against the blitz and struggled when the Patriots dropped 8.

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Miami has limited weapons at WR. Landry is a very good WR that can beat you multiple ways. Stills and Parker have big play ability plus Ajayi out of the backfield. Inconsistent yes, but limited? not so much.

And they have a good OL to go along with it.

I know we may underestimate them because of their record when we played them but they won 9 out of 10 games at one point and some with a backup QB.

It's games like these when we're 10 point favorites and everyone seems to be underestimating the opponent when we tend to come out and disappoint. Hope I'm wrong but that seems to be the trend.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Our offense needs to be allowed to open up early and make Miami catch up and become one dimensional that way, we can't run our offense based on how well Miami's is doing

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Miami has limited weapons at WR. Landry is a very good WR that can beat you multiple ways. Stills and Parker have big play ability plus Ajayi out of the backfield. Inconsistent yes, but limited? not so much.

And they have a good OL to go along with it.

I know we may underestimate them because of their record when we played them but they won 9 out of 10 games at one point and some with a backup QB.

It's games like these when we're 10 point favorites and everyone seems to be underestimating the opponent when we tend to come out and disappoint. Hope I'm wrong but that seems to be the trend.

Ajayi is not really a receiving threat, but you are right about their WRs. What everyone missing though he how bad Miami's defense is, especially if Maxwell can't go (or isn't close to 100%) at CB. They won't have any answer for our offense / any ability to make us one-dimensional. They will have to pay tons of attention to AB or he'll go off for 200 yards. And if they do put a lot of resources on AB, it should be wide open for our other receivers and Bell. They just won't have an answer.

mdk2

Reaction score
The Patriots had success against Moore by doing the opposite of what you are advocating. Moore has actually been good against the blitz and struggled when the Patriots dropped 8.

Go back and look at the Moore to Stills TD. They brought 3 dropped 8 and gave up a 25 yard TD. I didn't see patriots run that scheme again in the game.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I've seen this **** too many times. I'll be honest...any time we face a nobody backup I'm always afraid we are gonna get Tebowed. I'd rather face a reputable starter at QB.

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
Ajayi is not really a receiving threat, but you are right about their WRs. What everyone missing though he how bad Miami's defense is, especially if Maxwell can't go (or isn't close to 100%) at CB. They won't have any answer for our offense / any ability to make us one-dimensional. They will have to pay tons of attention to AB or he'll go off for 200 yards. And if they do put a lot of resources on AB, it should be wide open for our other receivers and Bell. They just won't have an answer.

I agree with you. Which is why I'm confused as to why the reason we seem to be heavy favorites is because we're playing a backup QB with limited offensive weapons when it has a lot more to do with our offense being much better than their defense.

Then again, put our offense up against any defense and on paper we SHOULD be dominant but that has only happened in spurts this season - the main reason for my hesitancy this game. The potential is clearly there to beat any team in the league by 10+. We beat the #2 seed in the AFC 43-14 for God sakes. Yet there's games like the first Ravens game, Eagles, Dolphins, and last Bengals game that make you scratch your head and wonder where all that potential went.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
How much film is there on Matt Moore?

Is he a "really competent" backup?

Yes he is. I live down here and see him play when the Steelers are not on.

Moore throws a nice deep ball. As a starter for his career ( Mostly on a mediocre Dolphins teams ), he's 15-13. 41 TD's passes. 31 interceptions. 82.0 career passer rating.

In 2016, he is 2-0 as a starter with 8 touchdown passes and 3 interceptions. 105 QBR.

IMO Moore could start for a few teams and should rate as an excellent backup.

He's not a pushover.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score

Moore throws a nice deep ball. As a starter for his career ( Mostly on a mediocre Dolphins teams ), he's 15-13. 41 TD's passes. 31 interceptions. 82.0 career passer rating.

In 2016, he is 2-0 as a starter with 8 touchdown passes and 3 interceptions. 105 QBR.

He's not a pushover.
Well then lets just hope Moore throws his 4th interception for a "pick six" and no more TD's!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Moore is 2-1 I believe. As far as their front 7 the can bring serious pressure with Suh and Wake and drop a lot into coverage. Miami has a pretty damn good defense even if they are thin on the back end.

Steelerfan

Reaction score

He's not a pushover.

Thank you. Your talent evaluation of this guy now assures us a win.:playful:

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Moore is 2-1 I believe. As far as their front 7 the can bring serious pressure with Suh and Wake and drop a lot into coverage. Miami has a pretty damn good defense even if they are thin on the back end.
They have the 18th ranked scoring D and 29th in terms of yards. 30th against the run

madinsomniac

Reaction score

He's not a pushover.

Matt Moore is a journeyman. Plain and simple... and he isnt 2-0 this year. he is 2-1... He isnt a starter... he is a backup who played ok against two teams that mailed it in and then had 200 yards passing to a team that even let Laundry Jones hang 281 yards on them....

He could not be a starter for anyone...

SteelerAl

Reaction score

Their defense is not good, dude. They don't rank very highly (as mentioned by Coryea) but they are also playing their worst right now (i.e. the ranking is misleading in terms of how good they are right now). Wake is a part-time player with little left in the tank. And his run defense is poor.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Their defense is not good, dude. They don't rank very highly (as mentioned by Coryea) but they are also playing their worst right now (i.e. the ranking is misleading in terms of how good they are right now). Wake is a part-time player with little left in the tank. And his run defense is poor.

Half their defense is on injured reserve and Maxwell is probably gonna be gimpy at best if he plays.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Half their defense is on injured reserve and Maxwell is probably gonna be gimpy at best if he plays.

Not only that, but their defensive rankings are crap and we are the only team with a winning record they beat, so their crap defensive ranking were compiled vs alot of crap teams.