• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Plan to improve draft picks for teams that hire minority candidates

Stewey

Reaction score
Most player rosters are >80% black. Let's give preferential draft treatment to teams that have more white players. Extra picks for teams that have pakistani players. Extra first round picks for teams with Asian players.

It's a glaring failure of the system and highly discriminatory that there are no white defensive backs. How does this happen in 2020?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into politics of race here. But I think some of you need to read the article a little more carefully. They are talking about moving up 10 spots in the third round for a GM and 6 for a head coach. It doesn't mention coordinators and if a head coach is moving you up 6 spots in the third what is a coordinator doing for you? No one is hiring coaches or GM's to move up 10 spots in the third round. That is a three to four year investment in a person. The NFL looks at the landscape of their on field employees and the landscape of their off field employees and says we have a disconnect here. Lets give a sweetener to a team that is in a 50/50 decision about a coach or GM. I think this is ten times better than the Rooney rule which has proven to be farcical and ridiculous. In the end it is their business and why would anyone give a fu*k.

Last edited by a moderator:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The fact there are so many black players is why there are fewer coaches. Think about it. If you are able to play, then you just keep playing. But when you reach the point that you can't play, you go into coaching. So a white guy who isn't good enough for the NFL will start his coaching career earlier.

Also consider that coaching is a **** job at low levels. Many entry jobs are basically unpaid internships. Then you have to take a job anywhere you can get one. Pick up and move every couple years always for **** pay until you establish yourself.

This means that many guys who made a bit of money playing are not willing to start from scratch as a coach.

I heard Deon Sanders running his mouth about coaching. He was asked if he'd ever coach. He said he'd only consider a head coaching position. No way would he even be a position coach. That would be beneath him.

So you have far more white candidates and they end up being better qualified because they started in coaching at an earlier age than many of the black candidates.

The ranks of black coaches have been building up over the years, but the focus is always on the top level jobs. There is too much at stake to not hire the best candidate. The Owner will lose money if he hires a bad GM and the team suffers. The GM gets fired if he hires a bad coach. The coach gets fired if he has bad assistants.

This isn't the 50s. There's too much to lose on a bad hire. I can't imagine that there are people hiring people based on race today.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Does the NFL want more black kickers? How about more white cornerbacks What about an Asian player, he's worth at least an extra 5th rounder. And a native American, well might as well give that team and extra 4th. Where does this end, with trannies and women?

Teams pick who they think can play, leave race out of it. This can't happen

Vader

Reaction score
Does the NFL want more black kickers? How about more white cornerbacks What about an Asian player, he's worth at least an extra 5th rounder. And a native American, well might as well give that team and extra 4th. Where does this end, with trannies and women?

Teams pick who they think can play, leave race out of it. This can't happen

It never ends. Years ago it was "Where are all the black QBs?". Now that there are black QBs the cry is "Where are all the back up black QBs?". It is never going to stop because people make money doing it.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It never ends. Years ago it was "Where are all the black QBs?". Now that there are black QBs the cry is "Where are all the back up black QBs?". It is never going to stop because people make money doing it.

The league needs more black cheerleaders. The Steelers definitely do.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Not the political forum, but if the NFL wants to step in this pile of dogshit ...

Vader is right. I can prove that the "equality" screechers don't give a flying **** about equality with one question and one answer: When is the last time one of the skin color bean counters protested that an unqualified minority was hired over a more qualified white?

So "equality" means more for me than you no matter what? Uhh, pretty sure that is actually the OPPOSITE of equality.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
So "equality" means more for me than you no matter what? Uhh, pretty sure that is actually the OPPOSITE of equality.

Don't be so racist. Equality means white guys get the short end of the deal, and it's good for us all.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t fault the social justice crowd for asking. So long as Goodell is willing give away the store, you may as well keep demanding **** until he says no.