• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2019

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Trout will make close to 50% of the entire Pirate payroll.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Trout will make close to 50% of the entire Pirate payroll.

The crazy thing is that Trout would have gotten even more on the open market.

He's a much more complete player than Harper and Machado and is the same age

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Regarding the Pirates, opening day is about a week away.

It looks like Kang will be the everyday 3B, as he showed both power and a good glove in camp.

It would be huge for them if he can hit like he did before the suspension, as what really killed them last year was the lack of offense from the infield.

I think Frazier is going to be a big upgrade from Harrison offensively, though there will be some dropoff defensively.

If Bell can regain the power he had a couple years ago, they could have something.

There are a lot of question marks, however.

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Is Kang such a liability that we can’t use him at SS? We have **** for offense at SS.

He was adequate at SS when they played him there for an extended period in 2015.

Being a few years older, I don't know if he could still handle it or not.

Teams can generally carry a weak-hitting SS as long as the other positions are producing.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I see them winning 80-85 games, about the same as last year.

The outfield and catchers will be good, but the infield has a lot to prove.

Taillon is the only starting pitcher that I trust. Archer has a great arm, but hasn't really been a strong performer for a few years now and I'm skeptical that Williams can come anywhere close to repeating what he did last year. Musgrove is a wildcard.

If Bell, Kang, Archer and Williams all have strong years, they could be really good, but that's a lot of questionable things that need to go right.

Reactions: JMM

Buster

Reaction score
Looks like Pablo Reyes has played himself onto the roster unless someone else who is out of options pushes him down.

Buster

Reaction score
Bump back to the top. New partner going a bit overboard.

Let’s Go Bucs!

Lmob0621

Reaction score
I think a DK post with a link to multiple articles would be better and less congestive but I will be getting a membership there very soon... $10 is 4 $1 tacos and 3 $2 margaritas on taco Tuesday at a local Mexican joint.... I figure I could drop a taco for a couple months.

Pirates beating up on the Reds has been nice to see... I was tagged in a few messages from Reds fans after opening day... not one since.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
The Pirates are a middle of the road team but, if they can steal a handful a games here and there, that is what it takes to make the playoffs...

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Austin Meadows 5 HR. Glasnow 3-0. Just sayin’.

Meadows now has 6 HRs.

It's early and Meadows and Glasnow are not going to sustain the ridiculous paces they're currently on, but they're both emerging as the elite-level players we thought they were going to be for the Pirates.

It's frustrating, especially watching Archer's pitch count elevated by the fourth inning in about every start as a Pirate.

Archer needs to be the kind of pitcher who consistently pitches into the seventh inning to validate the trade, and even that may not be enough.

In addition to Meadows and Glasnow, the 2017 first round pick the Pirates sent to the Rays to complete the deal has just as much raw talent as Glasnow.

steelermania

Reaction score
Meadows now has 6 HRs.

It's early and Meadows and Glasnow are not going to sustain the ridiculous paces they're currently on, but they're both emerging as the elite-level players we thought they were going to be for the Pirates.

It's frustrating, especially watching Archer's pitch count elevated by the fourth inning in about every start as a Pirate.

Archer needs to be the kind of pitcher who consistently pitches into the seventh inning to validate the trade, and even that may not be enough.

In addition to Meadows and Glasnow, the 2017 first round pick the Pirates sent to the Rays to complete the deal has just as much raw talent as Glasnow.

Well, everybody was always screaming for the Pirates to trade some future assets to win now. There's always a risk that it'll blow up in your face, like the Tigers trading John Smoltz to Atlanta, for Doyle Alexander. Alexander pitched great for them as they won the division, but they didn't even reach the Series, and Smoltz gave the Braves 2 decades of Hall Of Fame work, so it's seen as one of the worst trades ever.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Well, everybody was always screaming for the Pirates to trade some future assets to win now. There's always a risk that it'll blow up in your face, like the Tigers trading John Smoltz to Atlanta, for Doyle Alexander. Alexander pitched great for them as they won the division, but they didn't even reach the Series, and Smoltz gave the Braves 2 decades of Hall Of Fame work, so it's seen as one of the worst trades ever.

I can live with Meadows and Glasnow excelling with the Rays if Archer pitches like a topline starter for the next few seasons, but he has been pitching like a decent #3, which is what he was when they got him.

They probably could have found someone to give them what Archer is giving them without giving up three of their most talented young players, including Shane Baz .

That's the issue, as Lyle has been just as good if not better than Archer thus far.

I'm not trying to **** on Archer, as he is not a bad player, but the Pirates paid for the type of pitcher he really hasn't been in a few years.

I think I understand what they tried to do. They considered the success Hurdle and Searage have had taking underachieving, talented pitchers from the American League like Burnett, Liriano and Happ and rectifying their careers, and thought they could do the same with Archer.

They still might, but so far, he looks like the same pitcher he was the Rays: generating a lot of strikeouts and weak contact, while using too many pitches to do it.

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Now, if today's outing becomes typical for Archer, that changes the optics of the trade entirely.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
They could have signed Morton in the offseason and had similar production to Archer and kept their own players.
If Glasnow continues to pitch as he has so far, a staff of Taillon, Williams, Glasnow, Musgrove, Morton might have been
the best in baseball.

steelermania

Reaction score
First place Pirates!!! Hey, gotta take it while it lasts.

Reactions: JMM

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
First place Pirates!!! Hey, gotta take it while it lasts.

The crazy thing is that the bullpen has blown several games they probably should have won.

If the starting pitching remains strong, they can remain in contention, but they need to get more out of the offense, especially from Marte, Kang and Cervelli.

Marte is starting to come around and will produce, but Kang and Cervelli have younger players behind them in Moran and Diaz (when he comes back) who will start really pushing them for playing time if they do not start hitting consistently.

steelermania

Reaction score
The Pirates goal for the last 15 or so years, has been to try to win by developing an elite pitching staff. It seems they've finally been able to put one together. It'll be interesting to see if that strategy works.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
The collision in the outfield was brutal... I'm hoping they can hang on without the two of them for the periods of time they are out.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Tucker looks like he could become a fan favorite to replace what they lost in McCutchen.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
The collision in the outfield was brutal... I'm hoping they can hang on without the two of them for the periods of time they are out.

Losing Marte hurts, but they're probably better off with Tucker at SS. He's just as good as Gonzalez defensively, and offers much more upside with the bat

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Tucker looks like he could become a fan favorite to replace what they lost in McCutchen.

It's so early and he has a lot to prove, but Tucker could become one of the most popular players in the city. Pittsburgh has some great young stars with JuJu, Conner, Watt, Guentzel, and Tucker could certainly join that mix.