• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Peppers remains unsigned in Cleveland

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see both sides to this but a simple compromise could be had. ROOKIE contract guaranteed unless said rookie gets a job for another team. If he is cut on year two but fails to latch onto another club, then tough ****....... he gets paid. Has to be that way or teams wouldn't be serious as to could cut immediately with out even a chance. But guaranteeing the salary grants a more solid chance at team participation. If you cut him anyways....... you pay but he does get a job elsewhere, then he / team assume salary from there. I think even pro-rated bonus signing should be on the line too. Would hold rookie accountable to play vs money.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS.................................. I'm hearing what Steelerfan is sayin......................... Just wish his pronunciation was better than a drunken slurrrrrrrrrrR.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
PS.................................. I'm hearing what Steelerfan is sayin......................... Just wish his pronunciation was better than a drunken slurrrrrrrrrrR.

Salute the nation

not that there is anything wrong with drunken slurrrrrrrrrrs

:topsy_turvy:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of the last time a first rounder got cut during his rookie contract. Gilbert perhaps? Hell we let Jarvis play out his contract.

First Rounders get a lot of leeway, so they are allowed to fail for a year or 2 before being ejected. Unless Peppers is afraid of losing a year to the Mary Jane, I don't understand the worry of a hard working first rounder. Unless he's trying to protect himself from Staph Infections...

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of the last time a first rounder got cut during his rookie contract. Gilbert perhaps? Hell we let Jarvis play out his contract.

First Rounders get a lot of leeway, so they are allowed to fail for a year or 2 before being ejected. Unless Peppers is afraid of losing a year to the Mary Jane, I don't understand the worry of a hard working first rounder. Unless he's trying to protect himself from Staph Infections...

They also get the "option year" put in their contracts, which has been a bone of contention to some. This all will have to wait 'till what...2020 ? when the contract is up.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems that this offset language needs to be reviewed in the next round of CBA negotiations. I side with the teams here, players shouldn't be allowed to double dip.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
They also get the "option year" put in their contracts, which has been a bone of contention to some. This all will have to wait 'till what...2020 ? when the contract is up.

I'm usually surprised how high the Option year is. It's like 8Mil for a LB. That is not playing for scale.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm usually surprised how high the Option year is. It's like 8Mil for a LB. That is not playing for scale.

I think that is incentive based as the player see's this towards the end of his contract and says "hey" I best perform or I will get cut and not signed anywhere at that price. PLUS the player has 3yrs in that system so no learning curve. Vs. bringing in newbie.

Salute the nation

Stoney

Reaction score
If it were on the table, would you trade next year's 1st rounder to Clev for Peppers?

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This is all on Peppers agent. The same agent who handled Joey Bosa's holdout. Sometimes the players need to just say....Man I am sure glad I am one of the 3% in the sport nationally. Cripes...

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Would look good in black & gold, wasn't used properly at Michigan, would probably sign for rookie minimum

giphy.gif

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
Kind of hard to trade someone if he's not signed. Doesn't he go back into the draft pool?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if he goes back into draft pool but I do know that I would not trade our 32nd 1st round pick this up coming draft. He is starting his career as a cancer and may spread. I'd consider a 3rd but his attitude would have to be "let's play" (football). What is it with the clowns and their ****** draft problems???

Salute the nation

Stoney

Reaction score
Maybe he just doesn't want to play in Cleveland, does that really make him a bad guy?

And obviously you'll have to agree to terms with the player before finalizing the trade with the team.

Why in the world would Clev trade a 1st this year for a 3rd next year? Are we going to sweeten the pot with Fu?

If he's unsigned, wouldn't he go into next year's draft? Isn't that what happened with Bo Jackson?

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
If he doesn't sign he would go back into the draft next season.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification on the signed / not signed relations of the draft. We aren't going to get the option of trading for him so we have no worries in that matter. Cleveland on the other hand may be wasting a 1st round draft pick by not getting the deal done.

Salute the nation