• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penguins Offseason, free agency, moves around the league, all in one thread!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Shultz is the priority.

Vegas will take MAF and build around him this season imo. There are some pretty decent names on that list.
TJ Oshie left unprotected? If Vegas passes that up --- wow!

My boy Dumba is unprotected too!

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
So if vegas takes maf does that mean kunitz is safe

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'm more worried about losing Rust than MAF. Vegas could do a 180 and take Rust and leave the Pens with that $5.75M still on the books or they could trade MAF to the Flyers. I hope the deal is in place for them to take MAF and be done with it. Hearing too many rumors of what Vegas "could be thinking".

Spike

Reaction score
I'm more worried about losing Rust than MAF. Vegas could do a 180 and take Rust and leave the Pens with that $5.75M still on the books or they could trade MAF to the Flyers. Hearing too many rumors of what Vegas "could be thinking".

relax

Vegas is still widely expected to select Fleury, making him their first starting goalie and potential face of the franchise. It’s possible, even, that the Penguins have a side deal in place sending some sort of asset to the Golden Knights to ensure they take Fleury, rather than one of the other available players.

Rutherford declined to comment on any potential deals like that when reached Sunday.

“I think it’s important for us and the league to allow Vegas to make their announcement at the appropriate time,” he said. “I’ll just let that run its course here the next few days.”

But when asked whether he was concerned about losing a player like Rust — who, as a young, cheap NHL-ready winger may be the most desirable asset on the Penguins’ exposed list — Rutherford replied, “Not based on what I know today.”

If the Golden Knights do indeed select Fleury, the rest of the Penguins’ list is moot, since Vegas can only select one player from each of the other 30 NHL teams.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Las-Vegas-Golden-Knights/stories/201706180168

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I am relaxed as I think the reason why MAF waived his No-movement is so Vegas could take him. That's why Rutherford is not concerned or so it seems. That makes me feel better.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of what I think of Fleury as a good guy in the room, if I am drafting for expansion, I want youth that can be stars in 2020. Not sure why I'd want to tie up a big salary with a older goalie.
Phoenix may be a better landing spot for Fleury for one or two seasons. I think I'd rather have Rust or Bonino from the Pens and use a rent-a-goalie for a couple years....

Spike

Reaction score
Regardless of what I think of Fleury as a good guy in the room, if I am drafting for expansion, I want youth that can be stars in 2020. Not sure why I'd want to tie up a big salary with a older goalie.

Phoenix may be a better landing spot for Fleury for one or two seasons. I think I'd rather have Rust or Bonino from the Pens and use a rent-a-goalie for a couple years....

That's old thinking - they will come into the league flying

They want a competitive team right out of the box - puts people in the seats, and they can get a good one with all the people they have available.

Building low and slow is for Canadian teams

Spike

Reaction score
Pittsburgh GM Jim Rutherford has told all his pending UFA's to test free agency.

The list includes Nick Bonino and Chris Kunitz and while Rutherford wants them to check out their value on the open market, he said that everyone is welcome back. "If you want to come back to Pittsburgh, we’re going to keep the door open for everybody," Rutherford said. "At that point in time, I’ll have a better understanding as to how we can fit certain guys in. We won’t be able to fit everybody in, but how can we fit certain guys in? Can we get to the market value of what these players can get to go somewhere else, or get close enough to it that they’re going to still come back to Pittsburgh?"

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...utherford-2017-18-season/stories/201706180182

Reactions: MTC

Spike

Reaction score
Vegas holds all the cards with NHL expansion draft list out

Vegas Golden Knights general manager George McPhee had difficulty containing his excitement in anticipation of the NHL's expansion draft list being released.

"The most fun I've ever had in hockey," McPhee said in a video posted of him driving to the team's headquarters on Sunday.

And that was before McPhee learned of the high-profile group of players he'll have to choose from — limited to one from each of the 30 teams — in stocking the Golden Knights roster before submitting his list on Wednesday.

There's a three-time Stanley Cup champion goalie in Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury available and several 20-plus-goal-scorers in Nashville's James Neal and Minnesota's Eric Staal. As there's a number of top defensemen exposed such as Anaheim's Sami Vatanen and Ottawa's Marc Methot.

"The issue for us isn't going to be, 'Can we fill out the roster?'" McPhee told reporters after the list was released. "It would be, 'Do we have too many players?' There are a lot of good players there."

Vegas is holding all the cards while the rest of the NHL comes to a full stop in awaiting McPhee to determine his selections over a three-day stretch during which the Golden Knights are the only team allowed to make trades and sign pending free agents.

McPhee wasn't prepared to discuss individual players when specifically asked about Fleury, but noted there were no surprises based on the numerous mock drafts the Golden Knights conducted over the past few months. The one thing that didn't materialize was a large number of trades happening involving players teams didn't want to expose.

That benefits the Golden Knights because it maintained a deeper pool of talent available.

"We really like what we're looking at right now," McPhee said. "We expect to put a good, entertaining club on the ice."

Fleury was left unprotected by Pittsburgh after he agreed to waive the no-movement clause in his contract. The Penguins instead protected Matt Murray a week after the second-year goalie led them to win their second consecutive championship.

Vatanen, who will miss the start of the season after having shoulder surgery, and Josh Manson were the odd men out in Anaheim, because the Ducks couldn't protect their all their talented core of defensemen.

The Predators were put in a bind in being forced to expose Neal, a 10-time 20-goal-scorer, because they elected to protect a fourth defenseman.

Other notable forwards left unprotected were Los Angeles's Dustin Brown, Montreal's Tomas Plekanec and Pittsburgh's Chris Kunitz. As for defensemen, Minnesota exposed both Matt Dumba and Marco Scandella, while Buffalo's Zach Bogosian and Dallas' Dan Hamhuis are also available.

There's also a wealth of proven goaltenders available given that teams were required to expose at least one. Aside from Fleury, other goalies available are Florida's Roberto Luongo, Detroit's Petr Mrazek and Philadelphia's Michal Neuvirth.

The unprotected list includes players eligible to become restricted or unrestricted free agents. Any pending free agent signed would count as Vegas' expansion-draft selection from that player's team.

San Jose has two notable veteran free agents in Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. But it's unlikely the two would consider joining an expansion team at this point in their respective careers.

What's uncertain is how many trades the Golden Knights will reach with teams to influence which player Vegas selects or avoids in exchange for draft picks, something McPhee hopes to stockpile.

"We've got lots of things lined up, but until we see everything, we don't have anything," McPhee said. He intends to inform teams who Vegas is selecting in the event they want to strike a deal to have the Golden Knights choose another player.

There's also nothing barring Vegas from making deals to select a player and trade him to another team.

The Islanders were the only team that protected five defensemen: Johnny Boychuk, Nick Leddy, Travis Hamonic Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech, leaving forwards Josh Bailey, Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome and defensemen Calvin de Haan and Thomas Hickey available.

Some players left unprotected, such as Ottawa forward Bobby Ryan, carry hefty contracts, which Vegas might shy away from so not to restrict the team's payroll structure under the salary cap. Ryan has five years left on a seven-year $50.8 million contract and represents a $7-plus-million cap hit.

Based on previous mock drafts, McPhee doesn't expect the Golden Knights to have any difficulty getting to the NHL's minimum payroll of 60 percent of the $75 million salary cap.

The release of the teams' protected lists kicks off a busy two-week stretch for the NHL. The league's annual awards ceremonies will be held in Las Vegas on Wednesday and then teams will gather in Chicago for the two-day entry draft, which opens on Friday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/fleury-players-exposed-vegas-nhl-expansion-draft-48115978

-----------------

pucker time for a lot of teams

Plenty of talent available for Vegas ahead of NHL Expansion Draft

The available pieces are all there for the Vegas Golden Knights to be a competitive team right away.

Marc-Andre Fleury, Petr Mrazek, Philipp Grubauer and Antti Raanta in net. Sami Vatanen, Josh Manson, Matt Dumba, Marc Methot, Jack Johnson, Toby Enstrom, Niklas Kronwall and Calvin de Haan on the blue line.

A list of forwards that includes James Neal, Bobby Ryan, Eric Staal, Brock Nelson, Jonathan Marchessault, Cody Eakin, Troy Brouwer, Michael Grabner, Mike Cammalleri, Jori Lehtera and others.

There’ll likely be other trades, as well, with the Golden Knights sending out a press release on Saturday night indicating that they’re wide open for business. Indeed, it’s no secret that McPhee will pass on a player you’ve been forced to expose if you’re willing to part with draft picks to make it happen.

“Every team in this league has a chance to protect their roster,” said McPhee. “We will not make a claim with any club before we talk to the club.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/plenty-talent-available-vegas-ahead-nhl-expansion-draft/

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Vegas is an interesting market. As the first major professional sports team in the city, I don't think they want to put a poor product on the ice and lose their fanbase before it even starts. Fleury gives them an instant star who is great in the locker room and is coming from a team that has won 3 Stanley Cups in the past decade. That gives the team instant credibility. His salary also helps them reach the salary floor OR gives them a nice trade chip for a team in need of a goalie.

Conversely, I get your line of thinking. Fleury is older, even if goalies can play a long time, and makes a ton of money (doubt that is even an issue at this point). There are several other options that may make more sense in the long term for Vegas, I just don't think they go in that direction. Rutherford seems to have zero concerns that he will be losing any player other than Fleury--that of course the GM for Vegas changes his mind.

Spike

Reaction score
I am relaxed as I think the reason why MAF waived his No-movement is so Vegas could take him. That's why Rutherford is not concerned or so it seems. That makes me feel better.

Who cares where he goes? If he's gone, he's gone.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Vegas would be fools not to grab Fleury. He will easily still be around and at the highest level in 2020. I'd give him at least another 5 solid seasons and maybe more.

Spike

Reaction score
Mock draft fun time

Vegas Golden Knights projected rosters

The Golden Knights now have until Wednesday at 10 a.m. ET to select their team from the lists of available players. Vegas will reveal its roster during the NHL awards ceremony on Wednesday night in Las Vegas.

The team has already signed 30-year-old Russian center Vadim Shipachyov

Forwards: Jason Zucker, James Neal, Vladislav Namestnikov, David Perron, Tomas Plekanec, Michael Grabner, Mikkel Boedker, Cody Eakin, Josh Anderson, Marko Dano, Ryan Dzingel, Ryan Strome, Curtis Lazar, Lee Stempniak, Michael Raffl, Kerby Rychel, Stefan Noesen, Mikhail Grigorenko

Defense: Sami Vatanen, Nate Schmidt, Jason Demers, Luca Sbisa, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Griffin Reinhart, Luke Schenn, Brayden McNabb, Xavier Ouellet

Goaltenders: Marc-Andre Fleury, Malcom Subban, Linus Ullmark

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rs-and-four-nhl-teams/?utm_term=.167387f08189

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Who cares where he goes? If he's gone, he's gone.

Well, yea, I understand that. The reason why he removed his tag is to play in Vegas. His wife is looking at houses in Vegas. If that has been in play since Feb, then the Pens are not concerned losing Rust.

Spike

Reaction score
We are lucky, lotsa teams fans are completely in the dark of what will happen

Scott Cullen ✔ @tsnscottcullen
Sounds like Vegas is dealing ahead of the expansion draft. Have heard there are at least seven teams with side deals.

Nick Cotsonika ✔ @cotsonika
McPhee said he has told teams today is last day to negotiate. Will pick his team tomorrow.

NHL Network to exclusively reveal 2017-18 schedule on Thursday

Hour-long show will air at 3 p.m. ET

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-18-schedule-reveal-thursday-on-nhl-network/c-289987174

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC

Spike

Reaction score
The next Cullen? Sounds like they pissed him off

Coyotes part ways with Shane Doan

It does not sound like Shane Doan‘s departure from the Arizona Coyotes was an amicable one.

His agent, Terry Bross, then called the team’s decision a “very sad day for Arizona hockey.”

Previous management had said that Doan would remain with the Coyotes “as long as he wants to stay with us.”

Sarah McLellan ✔ @azc_mclellan
Doan's agent, Terry Bross, said Doan is excited to enter free-agent market. Doan's agent thinks Doan "more so than ever" now wants to play.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/19...s-decision-a-very-sad-day-for-arizona-hockey/

Spike

Reaction score
If I was them I'd corner the market in goalies for the next 5 years - here's the deal, they HAVE to take a minimum of 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies

14 + 9 + 3 = 26

to fill out to 30 players they need 4 more.... anyone they want at any position.....they could take 7 goalies!

send 3 down to the minors, keep 3 and deal the rest whenever....they be rich

Spike

Reaction score
Just losing Fleury while other teams lose young talent would be our best scenario

Chris Johnston ✔ @reporterchris
George McPhee: "We're going to have to move some defencemen because we're going to claim a bunch."

maybe we pick up a D man from them?

Chris Johnston ✔ @reporterchris
George McPhee says he has "at least" six trades completed.

Bob McKenzie ✔ @TSNBobMcKenzie
We in media have all been speculating those teams likely to incl ANA, CBJ, CHI, NYI, PIT, TB but now belief is MIN and FLA may be added.

Vegas might just start out with a better team than 1/2 the league at least on D and G. Good knowing that $500M still means something.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna be a crazy week in the nhl starting tomorrow

Spike

Reaction score
Adidas reveals new team jerseys - weak

DCz1hVjV0AI6GtK.jpg

Confluence

Contributor