• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pacman-Mayweather Getting Closer

steelermania

Reaction score
Boxing has changed. The USA used to own the upper weight divisions.

We've still got welterweight, but Mayweather is such a Di@K. Rooting for Manny.

Other sports have drained the big guys away from boxing in the US. Football was a minor factor until the 60's. Then it started taking all the big guys away. Not saying that potential champs are in the NFL, but there are guys who would have made good boxers that never took it up because they were busy playing high school football. If Mike Tyson were from Aliquippa, or Clairton, he probably never puts on a pair of boxing gloves. He'd have been a hard hitting linebacker at the high school level. Boxing was where the money was back in the 40's. Would you want your 6'2", 210 pound son to be a boxer, or would you steer him towards something else? It's bad enough with the concussions in football, and hockey. Boxing is literally the concussion business. Smaller guys still take up boxing, because they're too small to really do anything in the other sports. People are crying about Golson's size as a corner, and he'd be a light heavyweight in boxing. What else could Mayweather do besides box?

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Other sports have drained the big guys away from boxing in the US. Football was a minor factor until the 60's. Then it started taking all the big guys away. Not saying that potential champs are in the NFL, but there are guys who would have made good boxers that never took it up because they were busy playing high school football. If Mike Tyson were from Aliquippa, or Clairton, he probably never puts on a pair of boxing gloves. He'd have been a hard hitting linebacker at the high school level. Boxing was where the money was back in the 40's. Would you want your 6'2", 210 pound son to be a boxer, or would you steer him towards something else? It's bad enough with the concussions in football, and hockey. Boxing is literally the concussion business. Smaller guys still take up boxing, because they're too small to really do anything in the other sports. People are crying about Golson's size as a corner, and he'd be a light heavyweight in boxing. What else could Mayweather do besides box?

Tennis, baseball, bowling, golf, mma, skiing, racing, etc etc. There are other things he could do, but not make as much. There is only one mayweather and pacquiao in the world. When they retire boxing will not be in great shape. Other boxers will be lucky to bring in 1/10th what those two make. Im not saying that there are not good boxers out there, but it's going to take someone a long long time to build a reputation in the same stratosphere as mayweather or pacquiao.

Spike

Reaction score
you can't hit him if you can't catch him

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty upset with Manny's performance. I thought he would really push the pace, but he did not throw near enough punches. Surprisingly I think Mayweather could have done whatever he wanted in the fight. He had offense defense and seemed he was toying with Manny. Pretty shocking to me..

I don't know why Manny's supporters thought he'd win or even challenge the fact that he lost.

Floyd is not my role model by any means; but, the man is a BOXER. Manny, on the other hand, is a BRAWLER. As you stated - it was not even a match once Floyd started his defensive strategies - add in his sniper shooting punches...Game, set, match...

Mayweather is a business man and he deserves recognition for that - he earned his money; my question is this, though, why did it take 6 years to get this accomplished???

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
it was a boring ******* fight. neither guy did **** to win. Floyd stayed away from Manny and Manny had a hard time cornering him.
When Manny did corner him, he threw a wild assortment, but none phased Floyd.
I noticed when Floyd had his back on the ropes, he'd duck out to his left more often than not. I'm surprised Manny's corner didnt notice it. The final two rounds were when Manny really brought the fight. By then it was far too little, far too late.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
it was a boring ******* fight. neither guy did **** to win. Floyd stayed away from Manny and Manny had a hard time cornering him.
When Manny did corner him, he threw a wild assortment, but none phased Floyd.
I noticed when Floyd had his back on the ropes, he'd duck out to his left more often than not. I'm surprised Manny's corner didnt notice it. The final two rounds were when Manny really brought the fight. By then it was far too little, far too late.

He (Manny) only landed 81 punches...that's like giving Floyd a massage...

Not a scratch or bruise on him at the end of the fight.:boxing:

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
By my scoring I had Manny winning by one round, but several rounds were close. Normally my scoring is close to the judges, but I think I was off this time after seeing the "official" stats. I think Manny phased floyd a couple times, but floyd did not hurt manny. However floyd controlled the spacing and kept landing jabs. I am not surprised by what Floyd did, but I thought Manny would have walked through the jabs and really took the fight to floyd. Now they are saying manny had a torn rotator cuff and will be out 9-12 months. Postponing this fight would have been a nightmare and a huge PR problem and if true really put manny in a bind. I am undecided on a rematch, but I know a lot of people who are upset about paying $100 for a boring fight so I think the next one would be a much harder sell.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
By my scoring I had Manny winning by one round, but several rounds were close. Normally my scoring is close to the judges, but I think I was off this time after seeing the "official" stats. I think Manny phased floyd a couple times, but floyd did not hurt manny. However floyd controlled the spacing and kept landing jabs. I am not surprised by what Floyd did, but I thought Manny would have walked through the jabs and really took the fight to floyd. Now they are saying manny had a torn rotator cuff and will be out 9-12 months. Postponing this fight would have been a nightmare and a huge PR problem and if true really put manny in a bind. I am undecided on a rematch, but I know a lot of people who are upset about paying $100 for a boring fight so I think the next one would be a much harder sell.

manny-pacquiao-shoulder.jpg

bum shoulder or not, I'm not buying a rematch.
it was a bullshit fight. Floyd did little more than dance around the ring.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
For that much money they had better fight until someone gets knocked out. I thought it was bullshit. What a joke. This is why boxing sucks to me. I will take MMA any day over this bullshit. From what i hear Manny is having rotator cuff surgery and will be out 5-6 months. I would have fought too for over 100 million bucks. Mayweather is still a douchebag who beats up girls who would last about 15 seconds in real hand to hand combat.The whole thing was utterly disappointing.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
Boxing has always been a shady sport, but at least during the 80's (Hagler/Hearns, Duran/Leonard), the fights were entertaining and dudes beat each other up. Ever since Don King et. al. boxing's resembled the WWE. Then you have "trilogies" where the fighters split the first 2 matches then there's a rubber match.... all on PPV for big $$$. No thanks.

I didn't watch the fight (I won't give these multi-millionaires.. especially Mayweather... a penny of my hard-earned $). But I heard about the clutch/dance/run fest that it was and saw this and it cracked me up..

mayweatherpacquiaoprom.jpg

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed the fight was ******* terrible and rematch or not they won't see another cent of my money.

Did go to a good party though so at least the night wasn't a complete waste.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
the only way I'd watch a rematch is if it was at a house party.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
That's hilarious.

It's unfortunate how accurate it is.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I did not see the fight as a grab fest. I dont think there was more clinching than a regular fight. Also the cartoon is more what I expected to happen, but did not happen. Floyd threw more punches than manny and landed at a much higher percentage. I can not stand mayweather, but if you look at the stats the fight was not close. Manny was as much to blame as anyone this time...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I did not see the fight as a grab fest. I dont think there was more clinching than a regular fight. Also the cartoon is more what I expected to happen, but did not happen. Floyd threw more punches than manny and landed at a much higher percentage. I can not stand mayweather, but if you look at the stats the fight was not close. Manny was as much to blame as anyone this time...

it's an old game called Punch Out, not a cartoon. Didn't you ever play it or at least see it?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

In reality a torn right rotator cuff in Manny should have postponed this match for 6 months while he healed and rehabbed. I would not be shocked if he lost this lawsuit against him