• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Overhaul Starts Tomorrow

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
This 3/4 defense needs a stud ILB. We dont have one. IDK why nobody talks about this. Cowher would have benched bush and wouldnt have been scared to even cut him. Tomlin keeps all his collection of poor performers till their rookie contracts run out.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It all depends on Tuitt and Alualu, if they are back and healthy the need drops a round or two and is supplanted by ILB or OL.
It drops slightly. Aluala may or may not be ready to play the beginning of the year and has maybe another year or two left in him like Cam. Tuitt is good but not great and I believe has one year left on his contract. He should not get another one, at least not from us. He is no Cam by any stretch.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We also have $20 million of dead money due to the voidable years they did this year with Ben, JuJu, etc.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This 3/4 defense needs a stud ILB. We dont have one. IDK why nobody talks about this. Cowher would have benched bush and wouldnt have been scared to even cut him. Tomlin keeps all his collection of poor performers till their rookie contracts run out.
Actually, the 3/4 Defense needs a large and athletic NT in order for it to be effective. Those type of players are very very few and far between now days.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya, tomorrow....you're only a day away.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Actually, the 3/4 Defense needs a large and athletic NT in order for it to be effective. Those type of players are very very few and far between now days.
actually we basically run a tampa 2 under Tomlin ;)

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
would be a waste to shave Bush draft or add via some massive DL to play next to Cam, and then Bush will show his rookie season stuff, with a healthy Tyson and the Dl of saying Tuitt, Tyson Heyward that's about 1000 LBS for an OL to Handle with Tyson and Adams in the middle and say Tuitt.
Or a big DL like Walker of UGA guy next to Davis can play him at DT and De. Mathis is another similar built like Cam and Tuitt thick and has versatility both as a run stuffer and some pass-rushing skills others Ridgeway and Jones. I would restructure Schobert it was retarded having Spilliane out vs Kelse a guy that runs 4.6 vs the best TE
Whoever is the new DC should consider a base 4-3 we by resigning Adams would just need an OLB for coverage.
DE watt DT Heyward DT Adams DE Highsmith OLB Schobert MLB Bush OLB could put Johnson/Gilbert but I add a splash player via Fa or draft Tindall

Banner I restructure and see if he can play RG and dual him for both the RT and RG job
Tuitt dont talk to him till Feb and ask for a clear answer will you be ready for mini-camp? , do you still want to play football? judge his tone and based on the conversation ask for a pay cut as he sat on IR all year and to help the team needs him at a lower cap number as the team is seeking to fill many holes in FA. Have separate calls by MT and by Cam to him.

Last edited:

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I believe in Devin but also some think the solution is drafting Dean or Lloyd from Utah St and then it like we already have a 5"11 ILB if we are adding another LB it should be a 6"2 fast say 4.4, then there is an argument those scouting draftees suggesting playmakers like Dean Lloyd that we have a midget hell Devin White or Kwon Alexander are not much taller than Devin and they are similar players. Just draft Tindell from UGA if they cut Schobert to play next to Bush

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
and watt can cover to could try him to be ROLB and just play OLB like how Lawrence, Porter with Phins (19 sacks) just go out like there like a bunch of crazy dogs as a 43 OLB watt could still get 15+ sacks and would easily put up 10+ TFL and the same awesome stats, you just need thicker bodies on the DL. I like Wormley as a rotational guy only, after a few games, I could see why the Ravens trading him 1-1 he as a DT can only pass rush pretty week vs the Run gets washed easily, better suited as a RE in the nickel or dime just rush off the edge, loop or twist. ESP vs the OF the Bengals and Ravens

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure of our total cap space but just saw we are rolling over $7.8 million from this year.

At one point it seems I remember 40+ mil. I'm no craptologist but slept at a Holiday inn last night.!

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming a cap of $206M, we have we have almost $41.9M in space. Although there have been rumblings of a higher cap.
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers
Over half of that is probably already gone for Minkah, DJ and any of our own FA's they want to sign. That is why signing one of these big-name QB's just makes no sense. Sign a starting DL and OL and we won't have a whole lot remaining.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
You might want to edit the title of this thread: Tomlin acknowledging that Canada will be return means there likely won't be an overhaul of anything....It's hard to "seek comfort" in knowing that.

Reactions: MTC

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys have forgotten a basic Tomlinism: if you have red paint you paint your barn red.
Yet we had red paint and Canada was trying to paint the barn blue. Maybe Steelers fans need to sew their eyelids shut so they don't have to watch the **** show instead of worrying about blinking.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to edit the title of this thread: Tomlin acknowledging that Canada will be return means there likely won't be an overhaul of anything....It's hard to "seek comfort" in knowing that.
There is no overhaul lol

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no overhaul lol
Sure there is.. over the long haul there will be mediocrity. There was just a few words left out.😁

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Cool! Ben could help clear up $7.75M by letting the Steelers remove the void language from his reworked contract and waiting until June 1st to officially announce his retirement.
That would help bring in another FA piece of the puzzle.

Edit: Forgot the links:

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...t-to-free-up-7-755m-in-2022-salary-cap-space/

Last edited:

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Alualu has announced he will be back and is eager to play. It is really up to Tuitt, if he comes back, they might not even need DL. Heyward, Tuitt, Aluala, Adams,
Loudermilk, Wormley, Davis isn't a bad group.

Concentrate free agency and draft on ILB, OL and DBs. If they resign Witherspoon and Edmunds and can add a starting ILB and OL in free agency and have a decent draft, they can be competitive in 2022.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
actually we basically run a tampa 2 under Tomlin ;)
We run this modified version of it… its basically a 3/4 front with a tampa 2 defensive backfield a lot of times… thats why out ilbs are basically strong safeties in build… tgey are almost always covering… when was the last time an ilb had a sack? In the Tampa cover 2 there are always two lbs in coverage… if tgey are rushing an ilb then an olb covers, which is how we get olbs on wrs so often

mdk2

Reaction score
We run this modified version of it… its basically a 3/4 front with a tampa 2 defensive backfield a lot of times… thats why out ilbs are basically strong safeties in build… tgey are almost always covering… when was the last time an ilb had a sack? In the Tampa cover 2 there are always two lbs in coverage… if tgey are rushing an ilb then an olb covers, which is how we get olbs on wrs so often
Tampa 2 is the most vanilla of defenses. That’s why we get shredded by any top tier QBs. Tomlin relies on the players to make plays, he doesn’t put them in position to do so.

diver

Reaction score
He may have benched him, but he wouldn't have cut him...not yet anyway. He cut Huey Richardson but remember, that wasn't his pick. He cut Jamain Stephenson but gave him 3 years and he wasn't coming off a major injury.

I think Bush deserves another year. You may be right, but I would like to see him next year after an offseason of not having to focus mostly on rehabbing.

diver

Reaction score
Tampa 2 is the most vanilla of defenses. That’s why we get shredded by any top tier QBs. Tomlin relies on the players to make plays, he doesn’t put them in position to do so.
Every coach relies on players to make plays. For the love. Look, it isn't me saying that. Chuck Noll always said it was about the players. Again, this is not a defense of Tomlin. But even if they fire him, the new guy they get better have players he can rely on to make plays.