• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our receivers need to use their HANDS!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This was an ugly game for the receivers. While the TEs had little trouble pulling in the wet pill, the wide receivers had a terrible day. Case in point, Antonio Brown, wide open for an easy first down, decides to body catch a pass. I've never seen him body catch in this instance, but for some reason, AB's brain fart caused the wide open receiver to drop a great gain and missed on a chance for us to extend a drive. No contact, just lazy receiving, by not putting his hands on the ball FIRST. On a wet day, bad hand positioning is compounded. If you lack the hand placement basics needed to consistently catch a football, it is much harder to control it when it is wet. I'm not worried about AB, since he rarely does this, but the rest of the receivers need to fix this and quick.

DHB's drop was another instance why hand placement is key to bringing a ball in. He didn't make an attempt to hands catch, and it bounced off of him as well.

The worst of the day is Coates. I wanted his hand placement to improve from last season, but it hasn't. He still has the same lazy fundamentals that he had as a rookie. His first basket catch was luck. On basket catches over your head, you must keep your elbows in, so the ball doesn't slide through your arms. The first deep ball to him nearly slid through. Want to see perfect arm placement for an over the head catch? Look at Kirkpatrick's deep interception. He had perfect hand and elbow placement. Possession was never in doubt on that throw. Coates is also not using his size to his advantage, nor is he attacking the ball or high pointing it down field. Sure he can make plays, but it's a coin flip on whether he's going to fight for the ball or watch the D make a play. At his size, he should be winning those downfield battles with body positioning and aggressiveness alone. Right now, Coates infuriates me to watch him squander his talents to play lackluster football. He has the ability to be dominating, he just has to put it all together to want to be great.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Cope I see what you're saying but I'll write it off to a bad day for AB which happens once every few years, Coates needing just more game experience and probably a kick in the *** by Tomlin wouldn't hurt either, DHB never really known for the greatest hands which doesn't bode well for a guy who is suppose to make his living catching ball, and a crappy field with bad weather conditions. Even Ben had the ball slip out of his hands so it was just not a stellar day for the receivers. Although as you say it didn't seem to bother the big boys in TE's James and Grimble. I think this football team does miss Wheaton and I'll be glad to see him back. Although he did it to himself, the loss of the beast, Martavus Bryan looms large for this football team. His absence from this offense is a huge loss and is noticeable. He's a nightmare for defensive coordinators especially when you have AB and Wheaton to contend with. I'm still sick over this one.
I think the kids, Coates, Rogers, James and Grimble will be fine this year as they progress through the season. I have confidence that Ben will bring them around.

Spike

Reaction score
The ball was wet, both sides had drops. Running out of things to ***** about?

I bet you were never allowed to play outside in the rain.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The ball was wet, both sides had drops. Running out of things to ***** about?

I bet you were never allowed to play outside in the rain.

I played many games in the rain, and my hand placement made sure I never cost my teams chances to advance the ball. Of course both teams dropped the ball on a wet day, a lot of young receivers with poor hand placement were playing in this game.

AB, Eli, and Wheaton have great hand placement. AB might be the best I've ever seen, he just had a mental lapse.

I don't know if it's a TE thing, or if they're taught early to catch the ball with their hands because they will be receiving while being hit and need to fight to the ball, but Grimble, and JJ were using catching with their hands first, attacking the football, and high pointing it.

Honestly, that TD was all JJ. 2 of the 3 players had to be running the wrong pattern, because Coates, AB, and JJ were all in the same spot of the EZ when that ball was thrown. No way that should ever happen on a shortened field, but it is early in the season, and that catch was a beauty!

Spike

Reaction score
It's football, not every catch is perfect, not every route is perfect, not every throw is perfect

Just catch the damn ball and don't fumble. simple, really

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
AB was running before the ball go there. Have to think he was looking for the first down marker when he turned.

Spike

Reaction score
AB was running before the ball go there. Have to think he was looking for the first down marker when he turned.

He was looking to score!

Nobody's perfect - it was a grind it out game in pouring rain - was not going to be the ego swelling 5 TD kind of game they wanted - but I'll take it.

Wingman

Reaction score
Lots of poor execution to go around. Rain seems to do that to some guys more than others. I also saw some go through the hands when guys were going up for the ball. Not sure what the difference was between cinci and the steelers, but cinci looked to be catching the ball better and throwing it better. I suspect it had something to do with stickum, gloves etc. I sure hope the staff looks into this for the steelers, not that the bungles were cheating but their choice in aids might be one for the steelers to look into overall they looked better.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It's football, not every catch is perfect, not every route is perfect, not every throw is perfect

Just catch the damn ball and don't fumble. simple, really

I agree, and I'm always happy for the win.

My point is proper hand placement gives you the best CHANCE to catch the football, especially in poor conditions.

And Agreed AF81, AB was turning before he looked it in. The weather must have thrown off his timing.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
the balls James caught were thrown high..he had no choice but to use his hands.....