• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Oregon's Gestapo movement

deljzc

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm in agreement with the governor on this one.

I don't believe in stall tactics or "walking out" as the minority. I don't believe in filibusters.

The truth is Oregonians have legally voted and chosen to be represented by Democrats. They control all legislative and executive branches in the State. Let them govern. Even if I don't agree with it. Even if I think what they are doing is stupid and will hurt their economy. Even if I think it is unconstitutional (there is another course of action in this case). Let them pass their laws. Vote against it knowing you will lose.

This is part of the bullshit of our so-called republic and democratic system. When a side wins, we have too many ways to obstruct their ability to govern (for good or for bad).

In my opinion, the only ways we should be able to obstruct is by voting them out or taking laws to court as unconstitutional (and that system should go much faster and smoother than is does). That's it.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
The truth is Oregonians have legally voted and chosen to be represented by Democrats
The trouble is that they only represent Portland, Salem and Ashland. The rural areas in Oregon are not represented by this administration. Case in point: The legislators tried to sneak in a law a few years back that would allow illegal aliens to obtain drivers licenses. Somebody woke up and a petition was circulated and it went to the voters for their opinions. They overwhelmingly said no to it by a whopping 66%. Now they are doing the same thing again and it has already passed legislature but this time calling it an emergency so I don't think they'll have time to petition and vote on it. I think the republicans in the Senate are fed up with the tricks they are pulling in Salem and this is the only way they can voice their opinions.

This is liable to get ugly. https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/GOP-lawmakers-flee-state-to-avoid-vote-on-cap-and-trade-bill-511572922.html?fbclid=IwAR2beyTk-taAL75uYJhnM-XbHGg_tBnwkcS86n7QUoJ_nU683-KqOp1koeg

Last edited:

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
I don't believe in stall tactics or "walking out" as the minority. I don't believe in filibusters.

I'm for anything that irritates, annoys, angers, torments, stalls, prevents or in any way damages the dims and their designs on this Republic.

deljzc

Reaction score
I'm for anything that irritates, annoys, angers, torments, stalls, prevents or in any way damages the dims and their designs on this Republic.

But you can't have it both ways. This is the same logic that allowed democrats to stall whatever the Republicans wanted when they had Trump and both chambers in Congress.

It's stupid. And unless a state decides to be represented like our country with an electoral college that values and weighs rural areas greater than urban centers, then let the majority rule. What you guys are advocating is exactly what I don't like about our current political environment.

If the voters of Oregon want to **** up their economy and screw rural Oregon, let them. And if those people don't like it, move to Montana or Idaho or mobilize more people to vote your way. That's how is SHOULD work, not this acting like ******* spoiled brats and stalling government. ******* yes, I support MAKING them show up to work and vote on legislation. I wish the same applied in Washington D.C.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
There should be a process to have representatives removed from office if they don't do their job, but if she thinks she can use the state police to kidnap them, she needs to be removed.

That whole coast is ****** up. Shame.

deljzc

Reaction score
Well, the easiest way is just to ignore their votes if they aren't there. As long as there is reasonable notice on WHEN the vote is happening, if a representative doesn't show up, the vote is voided.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
What they should do is all of them rent Hummers for the ride to work that day.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the easiest way is just to ignore their votes if they aren't there. As long as there is reasonable notice on WHEN the vote is happening, if a representative doesn't show up, the vote is voided.

They won’t have a quorum without the republicans.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Vader

Reaction score
But you can't have it both ways. This is the same logic that allowed democrats to stall whatever the Republicans wanted when they had Trump and both chambers in Congress.

It's stupid. And unless a state decides to be represented like our country with an electoral college that values and weighs rural areas greater than urban centers, then let the majority rule. What you guys are advocating is exactly what I don't like about our current political environment.

If the voters of Oregon want to **** up their economy and screw rural Oregon, let them. And if those people don't like it, move to Montana or Idaho or mobilize more people to vote your way. That's how is SHOULD work, not this acting like ******* spoiled brats and stalling government. ******* yes, I support MAKING them show up to work and vote on legislation. I wish the same applied in Washington D.C.

It really isn't having it both ways. The dems did it to Trump so why is it not fair play? Which is how Bush got into trouble. He was so worried about pissed Dems off that he left Ted Kennedy write the education bill. So in your mind Dems can do it "filibuster" but Reps can't?

Also most of the bills that stalled in congress did so not because of filibusters but because the republicans didn't have enough votes (most of the time 60 is required). In the house you had a moron anti-trumper as the leader. Again not a filibuster.

deljzc

Reaction score
It really isn't having it both ways. The dems did it to Trump so why is it not fair play? Which is how Bush got into trouble. He was so worried about pissed Dems off that he left Ted Kennedy write the education bill. So in your mind Dems can do it "filibuster" but Reps can't?

Also most of the bills that stalled in congress did so not because of filibusters but because the republicans didn't have enough votes (most of the time 60 is required). In the house you had a moron anti-trumper as the leader. Again not a filibuster.

I don't like it when either side does it. And **** "quorum" bullshit. It's ******* 2019. It doesn't take days to ride by horse to get to the ******* capital of your state anymore.

It's all bullshit. You either have the majority of votes to pass a law or you don't. All these process rules are crazy. I can't believe you guys are sticking up for them.

It is very apparent that for THIS LAW and this law only, the democrats have the clear majority and the votes to pass it. The Republicans are doing a tactic I hate when EITHER side does it. Just because I don't agree with the law in the first place does it mean I have to accept (or condone) the way the Republicans are acting in this case. If you don't agree with my, you're all being hypocritical in my opinion. Almost all of you have complained that the Republican majority didn't get enough done. Almost all of you complain about the filibuster rules in the Senate. Yet, you post and backup a bunch of whiny losers in Oregon that don't havve the votes to stop a law they don't like and instead obstruct and use process laws written in the 1800's to prevent a law from passing.

You can't have it both ways and think this is a good thing because your side is doing it and hate it when the democrats do it.

Vader

Reaction score
I don't like it when either side does it. And **** "quorum" bullshit. It's ******* 2019. It doesn't take days to ride by horse to get to the ******* capital of your state anymore.

It's all bullshit. You either have the majority of votes to pass a law or you don't. All these process rules are crazy. I can't believe you guys are sticking up for them.

It is very apparent that for THIS LAW and this law only, the democrats have the clear majority and the votes to pass it. The Republicans are doing a tactic I hate when EITHER side does it. Just because I don't agree with the law in the first place does it mean I have to accept (or condone) the way the Republicans are acting in this case. If you don't agree with my, you're all being hypocritical in my opinion. Almost all of you have complained that the Republican majority didn't get enough done. Almost all of you complain about the filibuster rules in the Senate. Yet, you post and backup a bunch of whiny losers in Oregon that don't havve the votes to stop a law they don't like and instead obstruct and use process laws written in the 1800's to prevent a law from passing.

You can't have it both ways and think this is a good thing because your side is doing it and hate it when the democrats do it.

I don't remember complaining about Dems filibustering in the senate. If you have a post then I'd like to see it. Most here were complaining about the republicans in the house not evening bringing a vote to the floor because of the dumb *** leader Ryan. What filibuster are you talking about?

But again if it's good for the goose..... That isn't having it both ways. That's just doing tit for tat.

ark steel

Reaction score
My only complaint about the filibuster process is that it used to have to be an actual filibuster and now it isn't even close.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm in agreement with the governor on this one.

The governor said -
“I am prepared to use all resources and tools available to me as Governor to ensure that Oregonians are being served by their leaders,” she said in a statement. “I am in close communication with Oregon State Police and my office is making preparations for a special session.”

So you agree with using the state police to somehow compel them to show up or vote?

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Thank God we have a well regulated right-wing militia to help run the affairs of the country. :rolleyes1: What a bunch of yellow-bellied dolts, these Republicans, the whole lot of them. Unhinged, hysterical *******.

Threats from militia provoke shutdown at Oregon capitol, a day after GOP lawmakers fled
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...er-gop-lawmakers-fled/?utm_term=.ce5ba8b3dde3

Oregon’s top lawmakers will shut down the state capitol after receiving threats from militia groups, who authorities say are planning to demonstrate there in support of the 11 Republican senators who fled the state to dodge a vote on climate change.

State Senate President Peter Courtney (D) told his colleagues on Friday that Oregon State Police had informed him there was a credible threat to him, the rest of the remaining senators — all of whom are Democrats — and the building’s staff.

“It was obviously a credible threat because Sen. Courtney wouldn’t close it down for no reason,” Courtney’s spokeswoman Carol Currie told The Washington Post.
State police confirmed the danger in an emailed statement.

“We have been monitoring information throughout the day that indicates the safety of legislators, staff and citizen visitors could be compromised if certain threatened behaviors were realized,” wrote Capt. Timothy Fox.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
The Democrats decide to shut it down and Republicans are the hysterical *******?

Are you kind of, sort of, forgetting what started this whole mess? That the GOP senators ran away like shrieking little schoolgirls?

tenor.gif

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
I think all these senators are asking is that this item be added to the ballot for the people to vote on. If the majority of the qualified voters are for it so be it.

Spike

Reaction score
Sounds familiar?

Wisconsin Democrats Get $100 Daily Fines For Being AWOL

Wisconsin Senate votes to begin fining Democrats $100 for every day they're absent without leave. The Democratic senators, who fled the state to quash a bill that would limit public-employee unions, say the threat of a fine won't sway them.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...consin-democrats-get-100-fines-for-being-awol

------------------

what? no arrest warrants, no hysteria?

Oh it was the Dems?

nevermind

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
So how radical is this bill, and do the voters of Oregon have the right to petition and reverse the law by putting it on the ballot after the fact?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
**** all of those commies. That entire west coast is lost. The decent people should all move away. Let them have their utopia of suffering. Just don't bail them out when it burns to ashes. I wonder if they have a massive **** problem like southern cali?

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Are you kind of, sort of, forgetting what started this whole mess? That the GOP senators ran away like shrieking little schoolgirls?

Your post was set up with how the dems shut it down after militia threats. You guys have real issues with logical flows of dialogue.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Your post was set up with how the dems shut it down after militia threats. You guys have real issues with logical flows of dialogue.

Here, try this nice, neat, logical flow of dialogue. The GOP senators were ******* for running away scared. Then - furthermore - the right-wing militia were also ******* for throwing a hissy fit & threatening the State Capitol, forcing it to shut down.

That's what I meant. ******* on the right, everywhere you look. :)

Vader

Reaction score
Here, try this nice, neat, logical flow of dialogue. The GOP senators were ******* for running away scared. Then - furthermore - the right-wing militia were also ******* for throwing a hissy fit & threatening the State Capitol, forcing it to shut down.

That's what I meant. ******* on the right, everywhere you look. :)

You are aware that the dems have did the exact same thing in Wisconsin a few years ago right? My guess is that you defended them and called them heroes.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
You are aware that the dems have did the exact same thing in Wisconsin a few years ago right? My guess is that you defended them and called them heroes.

Nah, they were ******* too, if they did the same thing.