• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Only Fields Contract that makes sense to me

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
23m or whatever his option is guarenteed for 2025 with a 4 year contract with big Roster bonuses and starters pay for 2026, 27, 28. But easy outs for the team if he cannot become the fulltime starter by 2026. That would be btw. 5 and 6 million dead cap per year 2026, 27, 28. Problem will be deciding what fair market will be beyond 2025.Id assume the roster bonus for '26 would have to astronomical as it wouod become guaranteed portion of contract and guaranteed is what these guys play for.

Last edited:

xjx

Reaction score
I would guarantee nothing. Right now he guarantees unpredictability.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Man it’s 50/50 boom or bust with this guy. I’m just not a fan of run first type QBs.
Ya know I’ve thought some on what makes a really good QB and imo the most critical element, the most important element is processing.
How well does the QB process what he sees and how fast does it take him to process. That to me is 75% of a successful QB.
A big arm is a bonus and being able to scramble is a bonus but if you don’t have the processing ability you won’t be successful imo.
I don’t know if young Justin has that processing ability, but if he doesn’t all I can say is , NEXT.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Man it’s 50/50 boom or bust with this guy. I’m just not a fan of run first type QBs.
Ya know I’ve thought some on what makes a really good QB and imo the most critical element, the most important element is processing.
How well does the QB process what he sees and how fast does it take him to process. That to me is 75% of a successful QB.
A big arm is a bonus and being able to scramble is a bonus but if you don’t have the processing ability you won’t be successful imo.
I don’t know if young Justin has that processing ability, but if he doesn’t all I can say is , NEXT.

He's going into year 4. A lot of turnovers with him. A LOT.

So if the Steelers give a qb his very best friends, a great running game and an exceptional line, you can go far.

Well much farther than having a **** line and no running game.

From what I see so far they're going in to win it all THIS year. That's going to take a lot of work and players going all in with the "Whatever it takes!" attitude.

The coaches must take the same attitude, not this we will install whatever in preseason and refuse to deviate from the game plan stuff. Be creative and unpredictable for a change. Play action isn't illegal.

I'm probably more worried about the defense at this point in time.

The middle of the field and this soft zone crap won't cut it against the top tier teams in the playoffs.

What they've lacked is linebackers and the ability to get some push up through the middle.

I'm somewhat optimistic, but I get this way every year about a month before the draft anyway.

Maybe this year I won't be going same ****,new year, by mid-season.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Bottom line. He gets or doesn't get a fifth year option by May. Are you going into 2025 with no qb under contract. If you don't think he is worth 20 whatever million and you have Wilson for all of one year. What was the point of all of this. To get your 10 ****** wins in 2024. Really.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would NOT exercise his 5th year option, but try and work a “show me” 2-3 year deal with incentives that can pay him the big bucks. Let’s see him bet on himself.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Bottom line. He gets or doesn't get a fifth year option by May. Are you going into 2025 with no qb under contract. If you don't think he is worth 20 whatever million and you have Wilson for all of one year. What was the point of all of this. To get your 10 ****** wins in 2024. Really.
If Wilson does well they'll extend him for 2-3 years. I have no idea about Fields. And I don't know how you evaluate a guy who isn't starting.

I guess that's what camp and preseason is for. Though that doesn't say **** either since they're bullshit games that don't count.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Could easily be, should Coach Tomlin decide to retire…….. he wants to go out as a non-losing extended record-holder winning coach.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the FO has tabbed Fields to be THE guy going forward. If not, then they wouldn't have gone through so many hoops to obtain him. I mean, trading Pickett to Philly so as to remove them as a potential trade partner and cornering the market on Fields was devious and genius at the same time. No way do you invest that much time in making a trade just to let a guy come in and hold a clipboard for a year.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the FO has tabbed Fields to be THE guy going forward. If not, then they wouldn't have gone through so many hoops to obtain him. I mean, trading Pickett to Philly so as to remove them as a potential trade partner and cornering the market on Fields was devious and genius at the same time. No way do you invest that much time in making a trade just to let a guy come in and hold a clipboard for a year.

Adding to this, like it or not, Russell Wilson is more likely the "bridge" QB. I highly doubt trhe STEELERS plan on spending the money it might take to retain the OLD QB.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If Wilson does well they'll extend him for 2-3 years. I have no idea about Fields. And I don't know how you evaluate a guy who isn't starting.

I guess that's what camp and preseason is for. Though that doesn't say **** either since they're bullshit games that don't count.
That's why I think if they don't make a move here this whole thing is pointless. You have no idea what he is. Now you can retain him as I said and you can spread that out over 4 years. But that's really it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Someone at Behind the Steel Curtain wrote an article on this topic 🤔 wonder where they got that idea. But their plan was a big incentive laden deal that I don't think Fields would ever agree too. If I'm representing him my offer is pay him the equivalent of the fifth year option or we test FA after the season.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I don't think the Steelers planned on getting fields. Pickett was not supposed to basically quit. I would not offer fields any sort of large contract we have no idea how he will perform If Wilson plays well I have no idea what they will do. I think some team will offer russ big money that we can't match

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Wilson is playing for a contract. That contract may not be with the Steelers. If your hope is that Fields is the long term solution you can't leave him as a FA. Again what was the long term point if all this bullshit. To win 10 next year?
You'd have been better off starting Pickett and bringing in Huntley or Tanehill. Then you don't alienate Pickett.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Wilson is playing for a contract. That contract may not be with the Steelers. If your hope is that Fields is the long term solution you can't leave him as a FA. Again what was the long term point if all this bullshit. To win 10 next year?
You'd have been better off starting Pickett and bringing in Huntley or Tanehill. Then you don't alienate Pickett.
Their idea was to bring in Russ and have Pickett learn for a year but Pickett bailed on them. Fields just happened to be available so they grabbed him. I'm sure they are hoping fields will work out now, but why offer him a starters contract now. I would rather have no QBs with $0 invested then be forced to pay / play a crappy one. They blew up the whole QB room this offseason no reason they won't do it again

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Their idea was to bring in Russ and have Pickett learn for a year but Pickett bailed on them. Fields just happened to be available so they grabbed him. I'm sure they are hoping fields will work out now, but why offer him a starters contract now. I would rather have no QBs with $0 invested then be forced to pay / play a crappy one. They blew up the whole QB room this offseason no reason they won't do it again
First of all can they blow up the coaching room too? If they were going to tutor Kenny they are two years and another attempt at saving a ****** year onto a mediocre one late. They said they were bringing in competition not a mentor. That was a lie they replaced him. He said **** you liars I want out. They would have been better off in long term with Pickett and a Veteran backup unless you are replacing Pickett with Fields. I'd say they are similar talents. Fields has better tangible but is loose with the football.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They arent using the 5th year option
The steelers traded Pickett because pickett demanded a trade. If he hadnt, Fields wouldnt have been on this team.

Pickett forced their hand and it was too late to get another backup at a reasonable cost in here.

We offered virtually nothing for fields

Had we "tabbed him as the future" we would have dealt for him at the second or third round price Chicago was asking for him at first..

Basically he is a lottery ticket. He has as much chance to develop into a starter as he does to be replaced by a high round draft pick next season...

What they most likely do os offer him a conditional contract... he gets starter money if he starts and if he doesnt cut the mustard he doesnt

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Figure he is just a one year rental on a fairly cheap rookie deal to replace the malcontent KP as the backup. I doubt he gets more years offered on a new contract after they witness firsthand his inaccuracy, poor reads and fumble propensity.

Just a case of appeasing Mike and bringing in his “pedigree” guy on the cheap cuz ya gotta have a backup…nothing more

Highly doubt he is seen as “the future” or worthy of another contract.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t have faith in a QB guru being on the payroll. Tomlin has proven he is not. Should Fields over-come that fact and suddenly prove compatible with the new OC’s scheme (if allowed to implement), Tomlin will be hailed a genius QB guru.

We have variables employed in both player & coach(s), so it’s a wait and see.

Know, I am always in the Optimist’s chair and hoping for success, that in itself shows how patient and crazy I am. Being alcohol, smoke, and psychotic drugs free (except occasional peyote), I enter my spirit world with clear vision.

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
We need Stetson Bennett to send Fields packing for some Ohio team bwahahaha

Heck Kyle Allen May pull a “Mason” and look the best of the 3 come preseason and be stuck in QB3 land

That **** will really make me laugh

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't the situation, on -- not off -- the field, very similar for Fields and the Steelers' short experience with Haskins?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We need Stetson Bennett to send Fields packing for some Ohio team bwahahaha

Heck Kyle Allen May pull a “Mason” and look the best of the 3 come preseason and be stuck in QB3 land

That **** will really make me laugh

In my Spirit World, I have seen that vision....... and yes, YOU were laughing............

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Take a look at what the Packers did with Love the year before last contract wise... that is what Id expect if the Steelers do a Fields contract... they wont pick up the fifth year and instead put an incentive laden deal together...if Fields isnt ready, then it wont kneecap the cap