• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ohio to Vote on Legalizing Marijuana

Spike

Reaction score
CINCINNATI — Ohio voters will decide Nov. 3 whether to legalize marijuana with a constitutional amendment to institute a revolutionary proposal that backers say will create a billion-dollar industry in the next four years.

Secretary of State Jon Husted said Wednesday the private investor group ResponsibleOhio had collected 320,267 signatures of registered voters, 14,676 more than necessary to qualify for the general-election ballot. ResponsibleOhio has spent more than $2 million since March on the petition drive to put its proposed amendment before voters.

The ambitious campaign by ResponsibleOhio is the best-financed effort in the nation’s history to push back against the 1937 federal ban on marijuana. If voters say yes, the Buckeye State will be the sixth and, with nearly 11.6 million residents, the most populous jurisdiction to legalize marijuana, joining Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/12/ohio-vote-legalizing-marijuana/31558749/

potgirl1-300x212.jpg

----------------------

The question is, who will show up in an off year election.. the 'yes' or 'no' people?

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
They voted for it here in Oregon last year. They still haven't authorized the selling of recreational pot yet. And you can't go to another state and bring it back to Oregon. So in a nutshell you can have up to 8 oz. but there is no place to buy it. The state won't start looking at issuing permits to sell it until Jan. 2016..

Troglodyte

Reaction score
And I never thought I'd be compelled to travel to Ohio.

Spike

Reaction score
almost forgot

Go Buckeyes!

ohio-state-helmet-800x533.jpg

PS_0521_OHIO_BUCKEYE.jpg

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
not sure what the big deal is about it being legalized.

Can get it from a doctor, if needed bad enough.

can always get it from anywhere if you want it for fun.

Guess I just think back to how much fun it was to go drinking with buddies when we were underage...to me, the same applies here.

Also, there are lots of more important issues that should be discussed, besides allowing a weed to be legal...JMO

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
The important thing here SDS is the politicians will have more tax money to waste.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
True...but like I said, there are more important things going on. But they can use **** like this to hide the other...oh well.

Spike

Reaction score
not sure what the big deal is about it being legalized.

It's a billion dollar industry - that's why

if you read the fine print

It would create a "monopoly" of 10 licensed commercial growers. They have already bought in, and the campaign will use that money to try to sell the initiative to voters.

It would also create marijuana processing facilities and retail outlets, which are open to all.

It would also allow Ohioans to possess and grow small amounts of marijuana on their own.

Support for generic marijuana legalization was at 53% in the most recent Ohio poll.

diver

Reaction score
It is stupid.

You have to understand you do one thing, it will impact something else.

I was in Wyoming last year. A number of years ago they undertook a program to get rid of the wolves. I guess tourists didn't want to drive down a road and see a bunch of wolves chewing on an elk. Anyway, now they are reintroducing the wolves, because it didn't dawn on anyone the elk would take over. The are going through the vegetation along streams out there like crazy. It is having an impact on stream ecology.

What does this have to do with weed? Just to show cause and affect. Again, earlier this summer, there was a report on how weed growers in California are using up incredible amounts of water to water their weed crops. At this point they are not regulated like regular farmers are. It is so bad they are drying up streams. If I can find and link the article I will. Another thing I read is how some weed farmers are cutting down redwoods for more area to grow. There are going to be impacts of this that we never even considered.

http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/editorials/article26291950.html

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in Ohio twice a month. I could grab some dubbage. Late at night on the back deck after the kids are asleep, oh yeah. It would give my liver something new to fight instead of booze. Don't **** this up Ohio.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Again, earlier this summer, there was a report on how weed growers in California are using up incredible amounts of water to water their weed crops. At this point they are not regulated like regular farmers are. It is so bad they are drying up streams. If I can find and link the article I will. Another thing I read is how some weed farmers are cutting down redwoods for more area to grow. There are going to be impacts of this that we never even considered.

Suddenly conservatives turn into wacko liberal environmentalist.

Spike

Reaction score
MBA In Marijuana? Six Colleges Now Offer Courses

Are you trying to make a decision about which major to choose and wish you could get an MBA in marijuana management? If so, your day has arrived.

As the marijuana business becomes legal, colleges offering courses in the industry are following

Are you looking for a university near you that offers marijuana college courses? You may not need to change schools or move far from home. The Denver Post goes on to state that four other universities have offered a marijuana class in the recent past, including Oaksterdam University in the Bay Area, Ohio State University’s Moritz College of Law, Harvard University of Law School, and Vanderbilt University School of Law in Nashville, Tennessee.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1842805/mb...lleges-now-offer-courses/#U8hvLRmGE2gWcav0.99

diver

Reaction score
Suddenly conservatives turn into wacko liberal environmentalist.[/QUOTE

Or suddenly wacko liberal environmentalists selectively care about the environment.

We are talking about water, here. Water. You know, a substance you need to live. It ain't some microscopic bug or something.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Suddenly conservatives turn into wacko liberal environmentalist.[/QUOTE

Or suddenly wacko liberal environmentalists selectively care about the environment.

We are talking about water, here. Water. You know, a substance you need to live. It ain't some microscopic bug or something.

Get some perspective.

Swimming pools, car washes, keeping your lawn green, flushing the toilet, showering - All good, it will be marijuana that uses up all the water.

diver

Reaction score
Get some perspective.

Swimming pools, car washes, keeping your lawn green, flushing the toilet, showering - All good, it will be marijuana that uses up all the water.

Read the article. It isn't me that manufactured this out of my *** or something. This is an example of a number of articles that have stated the same concern, that marijuana growers are burning through water at an incredible rate. I would have never thought about that, either, until I read it. But it is typical of the legalize weed crowd. You all do not want to hear any potential negatives. You only want the supposed "positives," like the tax money that will be made (which may be bullshit, at least according to officials in Colorado, who claim they have not seen the tax money they were expecting), or it is really a harmless vice (another crock of ****, taking any smoke into your lungs, which don't want it there, will be harmful, it's common ******' sense) or whatever.

Believe it or not, I really am not that passionate against legalizing it. I won't smoke it anyway, it just isn't my thing. I just hate the bullshit justifications. I'm just curious, though. All the burners in high school, that did more burning than they did anything else. They are 20 years old, living in Mom and Dad's basement. If they legalize weed, what are those stupid ***** going to do for money? It's legal now. No reason to buy from the guy living in the basement. And yes, I am exaggerating to clarify.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Read the article. It isn't me that manufactured this out of my *** or something.

Um, did you read the article?

The one that begins with a reference to illegal growers and ends with a solution of regulating the industry?

deljzc

Reaction score
The one thing I'm having trouble with right now after watching Colorado and Washington go through their growing (pun) pains....

I am not of the opinion THC should be considered "legal" once marijuana is legal. THC is a chemical drug and can be synthesized and strengthened. And it can be added to an infinite number of things. While I want the plant legal, I am not sure I want free reign on the ability to just make and sell THC either.

I feel the same way strongly about nicotine and caffeine too. It's one thing to say tobacco is legal or coffee or tea. It's another when you are creating vapor cigarettes which have no tobacco and are just nicotine patches. Same thing with just creating caffeine and making caffeine shots.

THC, Nicotine and Caffeine are very powerful chemical drugs in their base forms and should be regulated like drugs by the FDA. Just because the drugs exist in nature in small amounts in legal plants does not mean the chemical inside them is just as legal.

Spike

Reaction score
The one thing I'm having trouble with right now after watching Colorado and Washington go through their growing (pun) pains....

I am not of the opinion THC should be considered "legal" once marijuana is legal. THC is a chemical drug and can be synthesized and strengthened. And it can be added to an infinite number of things. While I want the plant legal, I am not sure I want free reign on the ability to just make and sell THC either.

I feel the same way strongly about nicotine and caffeine too. It's one thing to say tobacco is legal or coffee or tea. It's another when you are creating vapor cigarettes which have no tobacco and are just nicotine patches. Same thing with just creating caffeine and making caffeine shots.

THC, Nicotine and Caffeine are very powerful chemical drugs in their base forms and should be regulated like drugs by the FDA. Just because the drugs exist in nature in small amounts in legal plants does not mean the chemical inside them is just as legal.

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you...you can't separate the plant and it's active ingredient. That's why they sell it as medical marijuana.

The-Medical-Marijuana-Strain-Guide.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef017ee677c31f970d-640wi

You want to have to get a prescription for Caffeine too? Might as well make alcohol illegal.

deljzc

Reaction score
Liquid THC:

http://liquidweed.org/thc-e-liquid/

Pure caffeine powder:

https://www.yahoo.com/health/pure-caffeine-powder-what-you-need-to-know-92454856242.html

Buying nicotine liquids:

http://www.hiliq.com/diy-e-liquids/diy-e-liquid-nicotine

I think these are full-blown drugs that are as powerful as most of what we normally would consider "needing a prescription" and regulated to some degree or another.

I just question the logic behind jumping to the conclusion just because marijuana is legal (like tobacco or like coffee/tea/cocoa) that the active drug ingredient also becomes legal in it's pure 100% concentration form.

Last edited:

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
It is stupid.

You have to understand you do one thing, it will impact something else.

s. At this point they are not regulated like regular farmers are. It is so bad they are drying up streams. If I can find and link the article I will. Another thing I read is how some weed farmers are cutting down redwoods for more area to grow. There are going to be impacts of this that we never even considered.

Suddenly conservatives turn into wacko liberal environmentalist.

Not to worry..there's.not a lot of redwoods in Ohio and they have some water to spare.

Spike

Reaction score
Liquid THC:pure caffeine powder, nicotine liquid

I think these are full-blown drugs that are as powerful as most of what we normally would consider "needing a prescription" and regulated to some degree or another

None of which has anything to do with selling weed in Ohio

As to my original question....'who does the offseason election favor' - I'd say the "yes" people

They have more a reason to show up to vote

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Might as well make alcohol illegal.

You know for as much as guns are demonized and people call for bans and further regulation, alcohol seems to get a pass.

The only time you really hear about problems associated with alcohol is drunk driving, (or as the Brits call it drink driving). But it's also a very common factor in violent crimes.

Not that I'm calling for the return of prohibition...

Troglodyte

Reaction score
None of which has anything to do with selling weed in Ohio

As to my original question....'who does the offseason election favor' - I'd say the "yes" people

They have more a reason to show up to vote

FWIW, my buddy who is a Republican Ohio native but also smoked a lot of pot in his day doesn't think it will pass.

Rod Farva

Reaction score

The one that begins with a reference to illegal growers and ends with a solution of regulating the industry?

Co. isn't seeing the tax revenues they envisioned because there is still a big illegal market......tax free pot is cheaper.

diver

Reaction score

I certainly did. And that's fine. We'll see how it plays out. But right now, they are burning through water in the middle of a big drought. Illegal growers. I am sure confident the government will control that, just like illegal immigration.

Regulating the industry? how far? I thought one of the ideas was to make weed not a crime. You start regulating, there will be illegal activity. Already this utopia is falling apart.