• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Official 'benson gets banned thread

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Its not so much that the d is playing soft… most often that isn’t the case… its tgat the O gets more aggressive…

This nfl isn’t like the 1990’s one. Without decapitation hits across the middle and with pass interference and personal fouls for many qb hits, the D is at a severe disadvantage…

For three quarters we play very safe… we get behind and then start challenging coverages and using the whole field… aggressive football wins… we just play it super safe early… that’s why we fail

Coach Tolin plays conservative from the coin flip on. If we are Luckey enough to get a lead he plays so conservative he lets them right back into the game. We don't have strong hearts for nothing.

Ben is handcuffed an awful lot of the game. I think it is opened up a little once behind and keeps opening as we get further in dept until its nearly wide open and BEN is BEN.

Around game 4 it was stated that there was no audibles and Ben politely said the reasoning was it would confuse the rookies to much. Somewhere between game 6-8 I noticed audibles to a small degree and progressed from there. I could NOT believe how under prepared this OL was coming into the season with that being the case. WHO the hell was the coaching staff responsible for that kind of **** happening.......... Top HC then OC then OL coach etc.

To many gaffs to be acceptable but we have no choice as Coach Tomlin is here and his actions are as well. His most recent action says Canada will be returning.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Coach Tolin plays conservative from the coin flip on. If we are Luckey enough to get a lead he plays so conservative he lets them right back into the game. We don't have strong hearts for nothing.

Ben is handcuffed an awful lot of the game. I think it is opened up a little once behind and keeps opening as we get further in dept until its nearly wide open and BEN is BEN.

Around game 4 it was stated that there was no audibles and Ben politely said the reasoning was it would confuse the rookies to much. Somewhere between game 6-8 I noticed audibles to a small degree and progressed from there. I could NOT believe how under prepared this OL was coming into the season with that being the case. WHO the hell was the coaching staff responsible for that kind of **** happening.......... Top HC then OC then OL coach etc.

To many gaffs to be acceptable but we have no choice as Coach Tomlin is here and his actions are as well. His most recent action says Canada will be returning.

Salute the nation
Yep… the oline mess handcuffed everything this year… it killed running up the middle… any pass that took more than two seconds, i mean it was a catastrophe…. And on the road with crowd noise ot was twice as bad…

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sick of all this blaming the offensive line!! The chiefs center, right guard, right tackle was a 2nd rd pick, 6th rd pick, FA! EVery body’s offensive line sucks it’s because they are overpaying qbs and wrs ridiculous money and scrimping on the line. It bugs me that the standard in Pittsburgh has become so low. This offense was beyond horrible. Ben, Harris, claypool, johnson, muth are real talent. subtrack Ben and put Rudy out there… canada‘s offense couldn’t beat detroit. I don’t care who Is in the front line. The only time this offense moved was with Ben calling the shots! That’s fact. Going to start calling the coach Joe Tomlin the BS coming out his mouth is unreal. And just like those javkasses are running the country into the ground same is happening to our beloved Steelers! Woe is us! I wouldn’t blame butler if he retired then came back on another team… hide in watch…

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Meh I knew he’d be back… we mostly ran Fitchners offense this year. As with every oc under tomlin we dont install the new stuff until year two…. A lot of nfl teams run the Canada offense At least in part… a lot of those plays that beat us Sunday night are based on his stuff… kc was one of the teams he consulted for when reid was modifying his offense.

That doesn’t mean the offense will improve though… we still might be handcuffed by the head coach wanting run run pass and only parameter or short passes…. Which is likely unfortunately
They use elements of Canada's offense and are clearly better at implementing it. Canada is still living off his one season of success as an offensive coordinator at Pitt and if he was fired today not a single NFL team would consider hiring him for the same position.

KCSTEELER

Reaction score
Some of yinz need to figure out how to proceed at a 4 way stop sign. And for extra fun…have Tomlin play traffic cop in the intersection. Hope you aren’t late for your funeral.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions. Hopefully you don’t take them as Ben Bashing. To me it’s just reality. Doesn’t matter who the QBs is.
Over and over I read about how Ben took over the 4th quarter.

Yet I also read that he is not allowed to Audible out.
Yet the same coaches are calling the plays. No......they didn’t go home at half time. ( though I wish they would have many times)

So how has he magically taken over the 4th quarter?
And why could Ben and the offense not play anywhere near like this in the first 3/4?

Now could it be because Ben and the offense **** the bed so many times in the first 3/4 that the opponent were playing incredibly soft on Defense?
They did nothing when the game was even up. Nothing.

I mean were you one of the people in last years playoff game after Ben threw 10 int’s in the first half to put us behind by a hundred points,were you one of those people that looked at his stats and thought he had a great game and almost brought them back? Knowing full well they were giving him 30 yard passes non stop for most of the game.

Yes I know the coaching sucked. But out of curiosity do you give them any credit at all for the 4th quarter improvement or just Ben?

And on the flip side are you just criticizing coaching for the first dismal 3/4 of a game play,or Ben too.
We used to laugh at QB’s that got all their yards in garbage time. When they were way behind.

And no....I don’t blame all the offenses woes on Ben. But he was a big part of it.
Go back and watch the KC game. KC had the same D all game. Ben was drawing up plays on the field. He was directing his WR's where to go. We scored because Ben called the plays. Go back and check out the interviews of the players in at least one previous game where he said Ben was drawing plays up on the field. They won that game. Read DJ's interview about the play calls.

Ben was still able to throw downfield. He proved that over and over and over in every comeback whether we won or not. Canada just didn't call any of those plays for 3 quarters of every game. He played ultra-conservative. He played in Tomlin's fears.

Ben didn't get everything in garbage time. Are you forgetting how many comeback wins he led us to this year? Without those comebacks, we have 4 or 5 wins. Was that garbage time?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
It's stuff like this that makes Mike Tomlin a terrible Head Coach. Would you stop Peyton Manning from calling an audible because the OC doesn't want that? Of course not....but they did it to Big Ben in his final season. TERRIBLE!
I can't think of any phase of the game that has improved over the last 15 years. Everything has gotten worse.

One of the hosts on The Fan speculated yesterday that Shades promised Canada two years. Put up with Ben for one year and I'll give you another with a different QB. I can see that happening.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
P.S. To my last post above. This is from the chat on the PG yesterday.

kevin in Punxsy: In the Chiefs game, the Steelers won the coin flip and took "receive". The first three plays after returning the kick off were (1) run for little or no gain. (2) run, see #1. (3) six yard pass behind the line of scrimmage, punt. These were called by OC Canada, the person that Tomlin thinks the world of. What say you?
Ray Fittipaldo: I puked in the press box.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Its not so much that the d is playing soft… most often that isn’t the case… its tgat the O gets more aggressive…

This nfl isn’t like the 1990’s one. Without decapitation hits across the middle and with pass interference and personal fouls for many qb hits, the D is at a severe disadvantage…

For three quarters we play very safe… we get behind and then start challenging coverages and using the whole field… aggressive football wins… we just play it super safe early… that’s why we fail

Coach Tomlin plays conservative from the coin flip on. If we are luckey enough to get a lead he plays so concervative he lets them right back into the game. We don't have strong hearts for nothing.

Ben is handcuffed an aweful lot of the game. I think it is opened up a little once behind and keeps opening as we get further in dept until its nearly wide open and BEN is BEN.

Salute the nation

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
P.S. To my last post above. This is from the chat on the PG yesterday.

kevin in Punxsy: In the Chiefs game, the Steelers won the coin flip and took "receive". The first three plays after returning the kick off were (1) run for little or no gain. (2) run, see #1. (3) six yard pass behind the line of scrimmage, punt. These were called by OC Canada, the person that Tomlin thinks the world of. What say you?
Ray Fittipaldo: I puked in the press box.
No way, everything wrong with this offense is because of Ben, you should know this by now. Joe Starkey was actually bitching about Ben getting sacked on that play where the KC defender ran right by the OG untouched and sacked Ben, saying you need a QB that can avoid that, LOL ok.
There was a game in 2012 or 2013 at Baltimore, both offenses sucking, we were running our typical road conservative Tomlin offense. Baltimore scored a couple times in the second half, and we finally went no huddle in the 4th, Ben threw for nearly 200 yards and a couple TD's, but it was to late. After the game, Tomlin said both offenses were struggling and he was happy to keep the game slow. Ben said he was wanting to open the O up earlier. Tomlin has final say, that's why I have a hard time blaming anyone but Tomlin anymore.

Last edited:

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
Tomlin has a history of filling vacancies on his coaching staff from within. His past two offensive coordinators, Randy Fichtner and Matt Canada, already were on board as the quarterbacks coach. Butler was elevated from linebackers coach to be defensive coordinator after Dick LeBeau left after the 2014 season.

Tomlin’s coaching staff already has one vacancy. Chris Morgan, who was in his first year as assistant offensive line coach, has been working as interim line coach after Adrian Klemm left for Oregon in December. Klemm was promoted to his position from the assistant role, as was his predecessor, Shaun Sarrett.

“I always look at internal candidates versus what I refer to as the field,” Tomlin said. “I owe it to the group to get the very best person for whatever job we’re talking about that we can acquire. That’s my commitment. Those are my intentions. That’s always the case. It’s the case when we hire from the outside. It’s the case when we hire from the inside.”

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
HCMT likes the comfort factor and that his coordinators are YES men. They are likely to not threaten him for his job, which is rather secure anyway. The Steelers have one of the lowest payroll for a coaching staff in the NFL. That needs to improve drastically in all phases of the team.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. I owe it to my groups to get the best coaches, but "I always look at internal candidates versus what I refer to as the field."

IE, "Field? Field? You're talking FIELD? We're just trying to score a touchdown in the 1st half and you're talking about FIELD? FIELD?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess we are just supposed to sit back and believe what he says, or something.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he hires a DC from inside, that means he is just continuing to put a scapegoat there as everyone knows Tomlin has been running the D since LeBeau left. No DC will come here unless they know they are going to have at least the majority control of what they are doing.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
If he hires a DC from inside, that means he is just continuing to put a scapegoat there as everyone knows Tomlin has been running the D since LeBeau left. No DC will come here unless they know they are going to have at least the majority control of what they are doing.
There's already rumblings that Teryl Austin probably will get the job. The Bungals fired him after nine games because their D was so bad. I don't have high hopes if that happens with him and Canada as coordinators.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Don’t know if we can share links of Tribune but everyone should go read Benz article today about this fully being Tomlins team now with Ben and if Colbert leaves. Actually pretty spot on read.

diver

Reaction score
I guess we are just supposed to sit back and believe what he says, or something.
Why would we? Coaches are, among other things, bullshit artists.

Think about this. Some people call certain coaches "good motivators." They can get people to buy into the system. A more negative word for that is another "m" word. Manipulator.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
“The Rooneys do a phenomenal job of picking coaches,” said Chiefs coach Andy Reid, who is in his 23rd season as a head coach in the NFL. “Longevity is their story there. Whatever differences there are with Mike and Bill, the two of those are like Pittsburgh Steelers. They fit the mold of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They’re made for that city. They’re made for that organization and the philosophy of that organization.”

Nothing about the Rooney's picking "good" coaches, just that they are long tenured. Nothing about Tomlin being strategic, intelligent, a mentor, or a successful team builder. He's just made for the Steelers and the philosophy of that organization. Was this intended to be complimentary, or was Andy just being honest without being overly offensive? Thoughts?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you are reaching hard treating the article like a reach around. I might want different coaches but I want less Tomlin threads even moreso. If you want attention go hang out in the blue oyster. Bring your police cap and appetite.