• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Odds That Rudolph Gets Traded?

Wolf44

Reaction score
He is a POS QB ,everyone around the league knows it and his teammates have gone on record as previously posted on this thread saying as much. There is no debate that he is not ever going to start a game for the Steelers.

As for his winning games, LMFAO. Matt Cassel won 11 games his first year as a starter and he is hot garbage. We won despite Rudolph's poor play .

Stewey

Reaction score
Some have blamed Rudolph for the tie vs Detroit which is unfair. Exclude the comedy of errors and MR wins that game.

TD called back because of a holding penalty, Johnson and Freiermuth both fumbling after key catches. Green snapping the ball over Rudolph's head, Both Washington and Johnson failing to come down with catchable balls, Bush gets called for a hold after Minka interception...
Ben doesn't win that game either, but we'll go ahead and blame coaching for that.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Point 3- Rudy seems to be winning, but I kinda feel like T-biscuit is stepping outta the way…thus the “would like it to not be a default ruling” line of thinking.
It is early. Lots of preseason football and practice left. And I do feel Rudolph has to step up as the clear winner because if it is even close I assume Trubisky gets the nod.

Point 4-If we’re winning I don’t care a bit. What I don’t want to see is Rudy wins the job, we are mediocre and Canada gets a pass as Rudy becomes the easy scapegoat
I don't want that either. That is why I am glad we have three options. If the offense sucks he shouldn't be able to scapegoat on the QB's. Lets say the free agent Trubisky starts and fails, I don't see more than 3-4 games before Rudolph or Pickett gets a shot. If they suck the next man up. If all three aren't moving the chains I doubt Canada is brought back in 2023.

Stewey

Reaction score
Again, as stated a few times before, I am going to laugh my *** off if Rudolph starts.

There was ZERO chance they were just going to roll with Rudolph, without bringing in competition.

I won't be laughing. Although I support Rudolph...but only because I don't believe he sucks, I'll be highly disappointed if he ends up the starter only because it means we failed to find someone better in Trubisky and Pickett.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I was there, he was ok. Nothing special about that performance that made you think "maybe..."
He threw for over 300 yards playing with a lot of backups vs a Browns starting team playing for a potential home playoff game. He definitely took a step forward from the prior season. Even against Detroit I saw him knowing where to throw the ball but the timing wasn't there. I wouldn't say he was perfect by any means but he showed a little something.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He threw for over 300 yards playing with a lot of backups vs a Browns starting team playing for a potential home playoff game. He definitely took a step forward from the prior season. Even against Detroit I saw him knowing where to throw the ball but the timing wasn't there. I wouldn't say he was perfect by any means but he showed a little something.
I don't know, I just haven't observed the "it" factor with Rudolph and I would say the front office and coaching staff haven't either. If they did, they probably wouldn't have drafted Pickett. They definitely wouldn't have signed Trubisky and basically handed him the job.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Look I like Rudolph but always had reservations of him being more than a low end starter. He had some magnificent metrics to start out but people couldn’t see past his ypa in the Fitchner system … he still is in the to 100 all time in Td%, but he did fall down some due to that Detroit fiasco… yeah he got late notice that he was playing but he looked so hesitant in the red zone…

I maintain that our best path forward is for all three to look good, trabisky wins it, Pickett shows he can be a backup already, mason males himself super valuable to someone, we trad him early in the season to someone desperate for a qb… we keep our seventh rounder on the ps, and next year we trade Mitch and run with Pickett

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Have consistently called him average and a backup
Just as I’ve consistently called out Canada for being the worst OC in the league

Not a defense of him, just not pushing a BS narrative like you, thanks for playing

And there’s only one of me so if you want to quote me, speak directly to things I’ve said, it’s pretty simple.
OK. Let's summarize.

You supposedly think that Rudolph is an average backup. I think and have said on many occasions that he is an above average backup. Therefore, evidently I think the guy is a better player than you think he is. So then, tell me, oh wise one: What "BS narrative" is it that you believe I'm pushing?

You haven't defended him? lol

Pretty simply, you seem very confused about whatever your own BS narrative is. Wait, I got it: Canada ****** your wife?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well lets see they held Cleveland to 13 points the week after they played us, held Chicago to 16 in a two point loss, beat Minnesota 29-27, got rolled by Denver and Arizona, Narrowly lost to Atlanta lost to Seattle and beat Green Bay. Not awsome but a far better than they were to start the season. The played some tougher defense and held Roger's to 138, Ryan to 215, Murray to 257(not terrible), Dalton threw for 37 but only scored 16 points doing it, Mayfield had 175. SO yes the played far better than they had been.

A defense can play better and give up more yards. yards in and of themselves passing mean jack ****. There defense improved immensely. They actually have some hope in Detroit this year, for now. As far as Mason and that game the plan was terrible but in the end fumbles by Muth and Johnson are the reason we lost plain and simple. The game prior to that Mason started he played very well after shaking off the rust, far better in fact than Ben the next week against the same team until the game was all but lost. Mason is not terrible or even bad he isn't below average. He is at worst average, his sin is the recency of Ben and being Ben's fill in potential replacement and that is not a good place to be for anyone not named Steve Young or Aaron Rogers.
So you spend a good chunk of your first paragraph listing low passing yard totals, then you proceed to say that they mean jack ****. lol You weren't on the debate team, I guess?

By the way, Rogers only played one half against that "much-improved" Lions defense, my man. And he was 14-18 for those 138 yards, with 2 touchdowns and 0 picks, compiling a 135 rating.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
OK. Let's summarize.

You supposedly think that Rudolph is an average backup. I think and have said on many occasions that he is an above average backup. Therefore, evidently I think the guy is a better player than you think he is. So then, tell me, oh wise one: What "BS narrative" is it that you believe I'm pushing?

You haven't defended him? lol

Pretty simply, you seem very confused about whatever your own BS narrative is. Wait, I got it: Canada ****** your wife?
You’re the one saying I endless defended him, a lie you couldn’t support.

Not “supposedly”- check the posts my line of thinking has been very consistent that he is an average backup/game manager.
Something teams need-everyone isn’t starter caliber but replacements are necessary.

If you say he is an above average backup I’m not sure where your Rudy disdain stems from with the BS narrative you carry as many more intelligent posters have already clearly laid out that the DET debacle was indeed not all Rudy. Did he **** your wife?

Now this BS? I’m done with you as it is unwise to continue conversation with the endlessly stupid angles and BS narratives you bring to the table.

Why would you be angry if I had defended him if you think he is better than I do-laughable…once again you’re all over the place…very consistent with that…seems like you’re just endlessly angry and trying to argue-pointless. No need to respond as I am truly done with your dumbassery.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
So you spend a good chunk of your first paragraph listing low passing yard totals, then you proceed to say that they mean jack ****. lol You weren't on the debate team, I guess?

By the way, Rogers only played one half against that "much-improved" Lions defense, my man. And he was 14-18 for those 138 yards, with 2 touchdowns and 0 picks, compiling a 135 rating.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.
I said high passing totals can mean jack ****, sometimes. You said they gave up more after that game I showed you that was skewed by a few bad games mixed in with some good games. No on is embarrassing themselves. Detroit is not great by any stretch but they played very hard down the stretch for Campbell. I am sure you didn't pay attention to that but they are not the same losers they have been they at least play hard. As far as our game against them Mason did ok considering. No interceptions 60% completion and twice had us in winning position. Is that much different than any other game that season when Ben was playing? It isn't like there was a huge drop off from what we had been doing with Mason in there. It was pretty much a shitshow without him. I put most of that on Canada not Mason or Ben. Ben at least had the luxury of taking over play calls in certain situations Mason had to play using the **** sandwich dealt him by the call.

Stewey

Reaction score
I said high passing totals can mean jack ****, sometimes. You said they gave up more after that game I showed you that was skewed by a few bad games mixed in with some good games. No on is embarrassing themselves. Detroit is not great by any stretch but they played very hard down the stretch for Campbell. I am sure you didn't pay attention to that but they are not the same losers they have been they at least play hard. As far as our game against them Mason did ok considering. No interceptions 60% completion and twice had us in winning position. Is that much different than any other game that season when Ben was playing? It isn't like there was a huge drop off from what we had been doing with Mason in there. It was pretty much a shitshow without him. I put most of that on Canada not Mason or Ben. Ben at least had the luxury of taking over play calls in certain situations Mason had to play using the **** sandwich dealt him by the call.

Mason had one interception..
At times he looked good, at times he was not so good. Just like Ben.

I bet we'd find plenty of Bens games that duplicated Masons performance.

Both the Ravens and Browns squeaked past the Lions by 2 and 3 points respectively, so it's not surprising we tie them amid the litany of errors we committed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
"Plays hard" is code for they're trying but not good enough. You hear it about 4th liners in hockey all the time. When the argument in favor of Mason is he did "ok" against a three-win team that "plays hard" is not a good one in terms of him being a QB who can lead your team to the playoffs. He's a below average starter and a good backup. Is that enough talent to keep around so your first-round QB doesn't get any reps during the season?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Mason had one interception..
At times he looked good, at times he was not so good. Just like Ben.

I bet we'd find plenty of Bens games that duplicated Masons performance.

Both the Ravens and Browns squeaked past the Lions by 2 and 3 points respectively, so it's not surprising we tie them amid the litany of errors we committed.
Ben playing on his final legs at least one year past when he should've retired was still better than what Rudolph brought to the table as a starter. I'm saying that as a person who argued that Rudolph being in the lineup would open up the offense a lot more last season.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben playing on his final legs at least one year past when he should've retired was still better than what Rudolph brought to the table as a starter. I'm saying that as a person who argued that Rudolph being in the lineup would open up the offense a lot more last season.
How would we really know? He played one game in an emergency start with Ben's Game plan. Canada did not even have his whole offense installed from everything I have read about the plays this year. I hope to god that is actually true or it won't matter who is QB. I wouldn't make a decision about what we could or couldn't have done with Mason last year based on that one game. It wouldn't really be fair either way. Matt Williamson said he has improved a lot this offseason and he isn't his biggest fan as a starter but likes him as a backup and as a good guy to have on the team. I don't think he will or would ever be a flashy QB. He would play relatively safe but make some nice deep throws and simply be efficient if the offense is run right from what I have heard from camp. If we can run the ball and paly good defense I could live with that. It sounds like all three played well today and the Pickens is going to a steal.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
How would we really know? He played one game in an emergency start with Ben's Game plan. Canada did not even have his whole offense installed from everything I have read about the plays this year. I hope to god that is actually true or it won't matter who is QB. I wouldn't make a decision about what we could or couldn't have done with Mason last year based on that one game. It wouldn't really be fair either way. Matt Williamson said he has improved a lot this offseason and he isn't his biggest fan as a starter but likes him as a backup and as a good guy to have on the team. I don't think he will or would ever be a flashy QB. He would play relatively safe but make some nice deep throws and simply be efficient if the offense is run right from what I have heard from camp. If we can run the ball and paly good defense I could live with that. It sounds like all three played well today and the Pickens is going to a steal.
As bad as Ben was through three quarters, he had some vintage moments in the fourth quarter. Rudolph doesn't have that moxie and what we saw of him in his limited action demonstrated his glaring weaknesses under duress or throwing receivers open. I think Williamson nails it calling him a good backup, but not a guy you want as a starter. My question is, do you really want Pickett to get minimal reps all regular season to keep Rudolph as your No. 2?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
You’re the one saying I endless defended him, a lie you couldn’t support.
You've been arguing with me about Rudolph for over five pages and running, but you aren't defending him? OK, guy.

You've blamed everything and anyone BUT Rudolph for his poor performance (including the offensive coordinator, the offensive line, and the defense), but you aren't defending him? OK, guy.

Maybe you don't know what the word "defending" means. There's no other possible explanation.
Not “supposedly”- check the posts my line of thinking has been very consistent that he is an average backup/game manager. Something teams need-everyone isn’t starter caliber but replacements are necessary.
That's what makes no sense about your ongoing defense.
If you say he is an above average backup I’m not sure where your Rudy disdain stems from with the BS narrative you carry as many more intelligent posters have already clearly laid out that the DET debacle was indeed not all Rudy. Did he **** your wife?
There's no "if," clown. I've been saying that for months and years. You said Canada is the worst OC in the NFL. I never said Rudy was the worst QB in the NFL. So that's a another stupid question.
Now this BS? I’m done with you as it is unwise to continue conversation with the endlessly stupid angles and BS narratives you bring to the table.

Why would you be angry if I had defended him if you think he is better than I do-laughable…once again you’re all over the place…very consistent with that…seems like you’re just endlessly angry and trying to argue-pointless. No need to respond as I am truly done with your dumbassery.
Not angry about your defense of the guy. Just amused. Yeaaah, I'm the one who's all over the place.

You keep going on and on over and over about this mythical "BS narrative" of mine. It doesn't exist, man.

Let me slow it down and explain my "narrative" one final time so even a cretin might understand:

1) People who are excited about Rudolph playing well early in training camp are kidding themselves. That's why I started posting in this thread.
2) Rudolph is not starting quarterback material in the NFL.
3) Rudolph has been above average at being an NFL backup quarterback, although he seemed to regress last year against Detroit.
4) I don't have anything personal against Rudolph, I just don't want to see him starting for the Steelers.

Nothing inconsistent about it. Carry on.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, only sometimes. Like when it fits your narrative. OK. lol

Yes, it was different. Ben stank last season, but he still managed to compile an 86.8 passer rating against much better pass defenses (on average) than the Lions. But you're right -- a shitshow it was. Which is why I'm hoping for better starting quarterback play this year with a more mobile passer like Trubisky.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, only sometimes. Like when it fits your narrative. OK. lol

Yes, it was different. Ben stank last season, but he still managed to compile an 86.8 passer rating against much better pass defenses (on average) than the Lions. But you're right -- a shitshow it was. Which is why I'm hoping for better starting quarterback play this year with a more mobile passer like Trubisky.
Hopefully he plays well but I have no issue with it being Mason either. I just don't want it to be Pickett. I want Trubisky or Mason to bear brunt of being Bens first replacement. Just like you just did with the comparison neither will ever live up to the comparisons with Ben. Better to be the guy who follows the guy who replaced Ben. Of course Ben looked somewhat better than Mason in the one game Mason played the whole year. Being his first start in almost, a year rust had to play some part in it as well. Lets face it Ben usually looks bad the first game of the season as he knocks off the rust. You think finding out the night before that you are getting your first regular season start since a good performance the last December is easy? Pickett is hopefully the future let Mason or Trubisky play this year. I want whomever plays best in preseason games between either of them.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Trubisky came in and showed he is the better QB. Rudolph had a fumble and two dropped interceptions and of course again choked in the red zone. Loved the fans booing Rudolph, the POS QB is hated by most Steelers fans because he sucks b

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
Rudolph is on the roster after tonight unless someone offers a 4th round pick or higher, book it. Disappointed in the crowd that booed him.

Wolf44

Reaction score
no youre just myopic
Really so he didn't fumble and have two easy interceptions dropped and failed in the red zone. Mr. Checkdown averaged a cappy 6.2 yards per attempt even with the great 29 yard TD throw. After Pickett's game tonight he is going to be traded or cut.