• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Now for something completely different....Moats

Spike

Reaction score
Versatile linebacker Moats getting up to speed with Steelers

Dick LeBeau watched with angst last season as age and injuries left the Steelers defense vulnerable to open-field runners and game-breaking receivers.

The venerable defensive coordinator had to come to grips with the reality that the Steelers lacked sufficient speed to slow down the likes of Minnesota's Adrian Peterson and Detroit's Calvin Johnson.

In a league in which speed is a necessity, the Steelers were lagging.

The Steelers discovered speed during the NFL Draft and in the free agent market. They landed Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier in the first round and signed two free agents: free safety Mike Mitchell and linebacker Arthur Moats.

“We had as good of an OTA (organized team activities) session as I've been a part of,” LeBeau said. “I'm excited about where we are.”

Mostly, LeBeau is excited about an infusion of speed. With Shazier, Moats, second-year linebacker Jarvis Jones and a healthy Cortez Allen at one corner, the Steelers are capable of recovering from missed tackles and blown assignments.

Moats, who played with the Buffalo Bills the past four seasons, is among the Steelers' most intriguing offseason acquisitions. He is a fast, versatile linebacker with immeasurable energy and an uncanny ability to adapt, considering he played for three defensive coordinators in Buffalo.

“I feel I bring a lot of versatility being able to play inside and out,” said Moats, who played mostly on the outside during minicamp. “At the same time, I know what it takes to be a part of the defense that has had success.”

The James Madison product, playing alongside linebacker Kiko Alonso, helped the Bills finish fourth in total defense in the AFC last season. But he had only 54 combined tackles — 105 less than Alonso.

The Steelers needed help at linebacker after the departure of LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and Larry Foote the past two years. Moats considered other options, but he said the Steelers were an easy pick.

“I wanted a situation where I could contribute immediately and compete for a starting job,” Moats said. “I understand my role, so when I saw all the losses at linebacker, I was prepared to jump at the opportunity because I think we had a mutual interest.

“I wanted to come here, and they wanted me.

“It's an honor to be a part of a legacy and tradition of great linebackers. You definitely want to advance it further.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6444890-74/steelers-moats-linebacker#axzz37rhB5vTF

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Adds much needed depth. I just feel (although early) that the depth this year on paper at least looks pretty solid. Except perhaps at DE................

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he is truly competing for a starting job, then it is a good signing. I hope he pushes his counterpart / competition. We've needed this infusion for awhile, now, I'm hoping it is here.

Salute the nation

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

“We had as good of an OTA (organized team activities) session as I've been a part of,” LeBeau said. “I'm excited about where we are.”

Mostly, LeBeau is excited about an infusion of speed. With Shazier, Moats, second-year linebacker Jarvis Jones and a healthy Cortez Allen at one corner, the Steelers are capable of recovering from missed tackles and blown assignments.

******* no good Rah Rah ******* Dick LeBeau... I question his abilities.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Adds much needed depth. I just feel (although early) that the depth this year on paper at least looks pretty solid. Except perhaps at DE................

Where are we solid at? We have 2 question marks at OLB, only one solid DE, no NT depth, no CB depth (and Taylor is declining), Troy and Mitchell at S, but after that Sham who is unproven. Only Depth is at MLB and that is counting on Shazier being what we think. In my opinion the D lacks any depth and a couple injuries could make for a looong season. If we stay healthy the D could be good, but we are counting on a lot of young guys.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Odd that he didn't mention Spence.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Where are we solid at? We have 2 question marks at OLB, only one solid DE, no NT depth, no CB depth (and Taylor is declining), Troy and Mitchell at S, but after that Sham who is unproven. Only Depth is at MLB and that is counting on Shazier being what we think. In my opinion the D lacks any depth and a couple injuries could make for a looong season. If we stay healthy the D could be good, but we are counting on a lot of young guys.

We have two starter capable NTs (more than some teams have)
Two solid starter capable RBs (more than some teams have)
Brought in two WRs and drafted another, the bodies are there, and of course they have to prove themselves.
OL has depth, and experience. (more than some teams have)
Moats adds a starter capable to the OLB group. Giving it three starter capable players.(more than some teams have)
Mitchell upgrades a much slower Ryan Clark, upgrading the safety unit, lot of young players but they have some experience not totally raw here.(more than some teams have) Plus Will Allen played well for the Steelers.

At DE and possibly CB it is on the thin side, but the majority of the roster has depth.

Not saying there isn't potential issues, but I can't also see how someone can say the D or the team as a whole lacks depth.

I feel this year that simply isn't the case.

Last edited:

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
We have two starter capable NTs (more than some teams have)
Two solid starter capable RBs (more than some teams have)
Brought in two WRs and drafted another, the bodies are there, and of course they have to prove themselves.
OL has depth, and experience. (more than some teams have)
Moats adds a starter capable to the OLB group. Giving it three starter capable players.(more than some teams have)
Mitchell upgrades a much slower Ryan Clark, upgrading the safety unit, lot of young players but they have some experience not totally raw here.(more than some teams have) Plus Will Allen played well for the Steelers.

At DE and possibly CB it is on the thin side, but the majority of the roster has depth.

Not saying there isn't potential issues, but I can't also see how someone can say the D or the team as a whole lacks depth.

I feel this year that simply isn't the case.

I was talking strictly about the D...I am not worried too much about the offense.

I did not know moats would / could play OLB, but that would be a bonus. Based on last year Worilds had a good second half, but I would not say JJ is starter worthy yet. He would have to improve a ton to be considered starter capable. McClendon is serviceable, but who else would start at NT for another team? We have Tuitt and the big guy, but we have no clue how they will do. Safety will be OK as long as we stay relatively healthy. I am just optimistic about our depth at this point unless the rookies really come to play

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
He hails from my alma mater, James Madison University. Go Dukes. Go Arthur Moats. I'm all in.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
If Dick is excited, I'm excited.

He be da man, man....

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I was talking strictly about the D...I am not worried too much about the offense.

I did not know moats would / could play OLB, but that would be a bonus. Based on last year Worilds had a good second half, but I would not say JJ is starter worthy yet. He would have to improve a ton to be considered starter capable. McClendon is serviceable, but who else would start at NT for another team? We have Tuitt and the big guy, but we have no clue how they will do. Safety will be OK as long as we stay relatively healthy. I am just optimistic about our depth at this point unless the rookies really come to play

You are forgetting about Cam Thomas, who can play both end and NT for us. Came from the Chargers, is starter capable at both positions. He started the OTAs in Hoods old spot. Him and Tuitt will most likely rotate along with him and McClendon.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Would love to see Moats as the next James Farrior. Moats was one of the very few URFA I put on my list to try to sign this offseason in my "what I would try to do in the offseason for the Steelers" thread. I figured he'd come pretty cheap and he has position diversity with upside at his age to potentially become a quality starter. I personally think he would make a better OLB than ILB but I guess we will see when it all is done.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I read an article yesterday that had Kevin Butler raving about Garvin. Saying he is a future starter. I dont know where but it looks like we have some depth especially if Worlids picks up where he left off and Jones emerges and lives up to his draft slot. If Spence makes it all the way back we have some good depth at linebacker and special teams should be pretty damn good.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
definitly CB and DE are the spots where we are thin

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think CB we are real thin at unless some how Ike found the fountain of youth over the winter. But DE I am more optomistic. Heyward should lock down LDE and I think Thomas and Tuitt can rotate back at RDE and be a good dual. OLB could be VERY scary if Worilds last 8 games was just an anomaly and JJ doesn't take the next step it very well could be a long season with no pressure to the QB and CB's who can't stay on their man that long. I personally think our defensive season hinges on these young OLB's combining for 20+ sacks this year. If they have 10 or less I think we are in a bad way and don't sniff the playoffs. Probably 8-8 again!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Also equally important if not more we have to get back to stuffing the run.

Vader

Reaction score
I like the Thomas signing but the Steelers are counting on rookies and 2nd year players. I like Tuitt but is he going to start from day 1? They must have Shazier play well from day 1. I'm sure Moats can play ILB but if Shazier can't start then you lose your backup. That means there is nothing behind Jones, Worilds, Moats or Timmons. Anyone gets hurt (like Worilds has every year he has played) then they are sunk. CB is razor thin as well.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Also will be interesting to see if the big guy McCullers can play DE. And to see how much Arnfelt improved. He was really disruptive last preseason.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I like the Thomas signing but the Steelers are counting on rookies and 2nd year players. I like Tuitt but is he going to start from day 1? They must have Shazier play well from day 1. I'm sure Moats can play ILB but if Shazier can't start then you lose your backup. That means there is nothing behind Jones, Worilds, Moats or Timmons. Anyone gets hurt (like Worilds has every year he has played) then they are sunk. CB is razor thin as well.

I think it's almost impossible to have depth everywhere when you have an elite QB so you must depend on young guys to step up if the starters get injured, that's the way with every team, none of them have depth everywhere, not even the favorites

ark steel

Reaction score

Unless I am confusing it with another signing, but I thought "Meh" about the Thomas signing. Will have to go back and look.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Im hoping Tuitt's learning curve isnt steep. If he can take that spot Thomas can rotate at DE and NT. Without that injury Tuitt is a top 20 pick or higher. He has the size and and 3-4 experience.