• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL ratings continue to fall

P

POP

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/2/13361126/why-are-nfl-tv-ratings-down

OK, so facts show less people are watching NFL games. And look at the younger age groups: They are really down, down, down.

So, Roger dodger claims it's because it's an election year and bigger things were on hand to pay attention to.

That would only explain Monday night games being down during the same nights as debates, and that is it. But ratings are down across the board.

Here are, what I believe, are the real reasons ratings are dropping.

Since the biggest drop off is with younger viewers, let's start there.

1.) All things millennial. Here is an article of the traits of this generation. http://luckyattitude.co.uk/millennial-characteristics/ but I will exstrapolate how those traits apply to not watching the NFL.

A.) They are progressive. M seems to go out of their way to NOT do what is traditional. The NFL definitely represents tradition. M turn theirs noses up at tradition. They recall uncle Bill coming over to watch games with dad and the boys. M shudder at doing what past generations did.

B.) M are elitists, self-centered and narcissistic. Watch football? That is something old, simple-minded goons do. It's not refined and for us smarter people. M are also the most-educated generation in history. The NFL? How coarse and imbecilic. Do nothing but sit and watch football and drink beer for 3 or 6 or 9 hours? That is for troglodytes, not us sophisticated, educated M.

C.) M are impatient. The current NFL is unwatchable even to most of us NFL lovers. Flags, false starts, ref huddles, plays under review, commercials, more commercials and did I mention commercials? This is the first thing listed that is absolutely the NFL's fault and something they could fix. Trying to watch a game now borders on madness. As a matter of fact, if I didn't have a remote, and a slew of games to watch (or other programs, movies, etc. on prime time games) I may have stopped watching it myself. Let's say, on average, there are about 6-8 games to watch at the 1:00 games. Oftentimes, I have to switch to 3-4 games before I can find one with live action, not refs huddled around or not on commercial break. It is telling how many games I have to switch to in order to find live play, and by that I don't necessarily mean "live" as in a play is actually going on; I am just talking about "live" in that the refs are not huddling for a penalty or it's not a commercial break. It is unbearable, and it is mostly caused directly by the greed of the owners: more breaks in action equals more opportunity for commercials.

D.) M are multi-taskers. I can relate to this, as during the day, I am constantly multi-tasking, and if I am not, I am not happy. I am constantly writing emails, texts, on social media, on the phone, surfing the net, with TV and/or radio on, often simultaneously (I only have the volume on either the TV or radio, not both.) But during Steeler games, I do not. I don't want distracted, but wholly
watching just one thing - an NFL game - is not in the nature of M.

Now for other, non-millenium reason for rating decline.

2.) The product is getting horrible. Games are the opposite of crisp. As previously mentioned, the amount of flags flying is nauseating, as are the inordinate amount of commercials, but it doesn't end there. Teams - including ours - seem unfocused and unprepared too often. Delay of game, false starts, having to burn time outs from not having their **** together and on and on. And even during plays themselves, there are just signs of ill-prepared play, such as the QB and WR not being on the same page.

3.) The pussification of the sport. We all get why they have to be more strict of hard hits - i.e. future lawsuits. I am fine with them trying to reduce blatant, targeted head shots. But it's tackle football. And until it stops being tackle football, it is going to contain hard hits. I remember when Lambert complained how they tried to protect QBs back in his day, saying they should wear skirts. And they could practically murder QBs back then compared to now. This is also another area where college ball has its **** together better than the NFL. At NCAA ball, they review unnecessary roughness calls (calling it "targeting") to make sure they get it right, and they don't take all day to do so.

4.) There are just too many games on. I love football, not just Steeler football. (I know many of you don't share this proclivity.) But even I get somewhat burn't out with games on Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night and now every Thursday night. I still watch most every game, at least partially, but I can see where many feel like it's NFL overdose.

5.) The "clowning up" of the league. It started with the throwback unis, with some (Steelers most guilty of all) teams choosing hideous past unis to wear. Then it was further "clowned up" by the Thurs. night "Color Rush" bull ****. It's to the point now that the NFL is akin to OR University and how it handles its unis.

6.) Glamorizing and glorifying blatant war. Trust me, I am not alone feeling they are shoving the industrialised military complex down our throats. The NFL does the work for the federal govt. The ******* DOD was PAYING the NFL to have a presence, but teed it up like it was all just about loving the country and our troops. It is blatant propaganda that Hitler would be proud of. If you want to beat off over killing other human beings, all based on profit and power and NOT on making the world more safe, than have at it. But don't force me to watch your propaganda, and worse yet, don't use my ******* tax $ to do it.

There, NFL. I outlined why your ratings are crashing. You are welcome.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score

6.) Glamorizing and glorifying blatant war. Trust me, I am not alone feeling they are shoving the industrialised military complex down our throats. The NFL does the work for the federal govt. The ******* DOD was PAYING the NFL to have a presence, but teed it up like it was all just about loving the country and our troops. It is blatant propaganda that Hitler would be proud of. If you want to beat off over killing other human beings, all based on profit and power and NOT on making the world more safe, than have at it. But don't force me to watch your propaganda, and worse yet, don't use my ******* tax $ to do it.

#6 proves that you're a pie-in-the-sky nimrod that doesnt understand human nature. War will exist, as long as humanity exists

Last edited by a moderator:

nitsuj1225

Reaction score

5.) The "clowning up" of the league. It started with the throwback unis, with some (Steelers most guilty of all) teams choosing hideous past unis to wear. Then it was further "clowned up" by the Thurs. night "Color Rush" bull ****. It's to the point now that the NFL is akin to OR University and how it handles its unis.

I'm willing to bet the color of uniforms are at the way bottom of the list of reasons why the NFL is losing viewers.

As far as millennials, could it just be the interests are changing for the younger generation? Yes some millennial's are as you describe, just as there are extremes for every group of people you can name, but to say millennials don't watch football JUST because it's been an American tradition for decades and they desire to be different is ridiculous. It has absolutely nothing to do with tradition and sticking it to the older generation, they just have different priorities and watching hours upon hours of football 3 days a week is not at the top of the list anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
You had me until 6. I do agree that the NFL and the team should be paying for these soldiers to watch the game and be on the field BUT I also think being patriotic is important. Also, nice job not mentioning Belichick, Brady, or in general lapping up their manhood in your mouth.

1-5 I agree with to different extents but agree.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
3. Is my biggest issue. I hate it. If not for the Steelers I'd have zero interest in the NFL. It's boring .

P

POP

#6 proves that you're a pie-in-the-sky nimrod that doesnt understand human nature. War will exist, as long as humanity exists

The above proves you are a brainwashed pawn who is easily manipulated because you lack the IQ to see through what your masters are lying to you about. Kissinger said โ€œMilitary men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.โ€ He ought to know. War is only inevitable when the establishment gets its way. Try telling the Swiss that war has to be endless. The old men getting rich on convincing war is inevitable laugh at duped patsies like you. They laugh at old fools like you, who actually believe we need to take half of our entire spending on nothing but men and machines to kill others. Instead of the govt. spending MUCH LESS or on things that actually BENEFIT the people, they convince buffoons like you that war is 100% inevitable and laugh all the way to their pile of gold. It is the brainwashed simpletons that allow this to keep happening. Tell why invading Iraq was such a necessity. Tell me why the killing of 1,000s of innocent civilians by drone attacks is needed. Let you cradle a dead little girl from those massacres and tell me why the drone murders are so necessary. Let me see you tell a father or mother of a dead infant from US drones and tell them, face-to-face, why we just had to bomb them. You wouldn't have the balls to do that, I guarantee it. So go hide behind your "there has to always be war" mantra and stay the ignorant patsy you are.

P

POP

I'm willing to bet the color of uniforms are at the way bottom of the list of reasons why the NFL is losing viewers.

Which is why it was only one of a myriad of reasons listed.

As far as millennials, could it just be the interests are changing for the younger generation? Yes some millennial's are as you describe, just as there are extremes for every group of people you can name, but to say millennials don't watch football JUST because it's been an American tradition for decades and they desire to be different is ridiculous.

Which is why it was only one of four points mentioned on why millennials do not watch the NFL.
It has absolutely nothing to do with tradition and sticking it to the older generation, they just have different priorities and watching hours upon hours of football 3 days a week is not at the top of the list anymore.

No assertion was made that they avoid football to "stick it to the older generation." You are dealing in straw men arguments at this point. They tend to not care about tradition, and the NFL is a tradition that generally don't care about, as the ratings for that age group clearly indicate.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Penalties ruin it for me. Someone on the NFL Network pointed out that anytime there is a big play, you have to wait and make sure there are no flags before celebrating. Didn't used to be like that.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
pussification has done it for me...the owners not caring at ALL, is another. Winning takes a backseat to the dollar.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
IMO, millennials are the biggest reason, but for me it's the ridiculous amount of commercials.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Every year they implement new, stupid rules which have degraded the game, commercials and more commercials, penalties left and right and of course the idiotic commentators. There isn't much left to watch and I haven't even mentioned the social justice warriors. Poke it with a stick. It's done.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Try this: watch a game until something stupid is called or not called..you won't last 5 minutes. A lot of the people who do watch games are watching for fantasy or betting...and a lot of them know football. When an educated crowd sees bullshit time and time again...they get pissed and stop watching.

skialta

Reaction score
The above proves you are a brainwashed pawn who is easily manipulated because you lack the IQ to see through what your masters are lying to you about. Kissinger said โ€œMilitary men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.โ€ He ought to know. War is only inevitable when the establishment gets its way. Try telling the Swiss that war has to be endless. The old men getting rich on convincing war is inevitable laugh at duped patsies like you. They laugh at old fools like you, who actually believe we need to take half of our entire spending on nothing but men and machines to kill others. Instead of the govt. spending MUCH LESS or on things that actually BENEFIT the people, they convince buffoons like you that war is 100% inevitable and laugh all the way to their pile of gold. It is the brainwashed simpletons that allow this to keep happening. Tell why invading Iraq was such a necessity. Tell me why the killing of 1,000s of innocent civilians by drone attacks is needed. Let you cradle a dead little girl from those massacres and tell me why the drone murders are so necessary. Let me see you tell a father or mother of a dead infant from US drones and tell them, face-to-face, why we just had to bomb them. You wouldn't have the balls to do that, I guarantee it. So go hide behind your "there has to always be war" mantra and stay the ignorant patsy you are.

So. Many. Words.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Blame the media. Social media I don't want to read about mike Tomlin hosting a Hillary Clinton fund raiser in his house on players protesting the national anthem.

Blame the rules. Move kickoffs back. Let the players celebrate a bit more after scores.

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
It's just not the same game.

The amount of penalties and reviews have made the game nearly intolerable.

If it's not a Steeler game I'm not watching.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
The problems as I see it, in no particular order:

They took the most exciting play (kickoff returns) out of the game.

You're never sure when a catch is a catch.

You're never sure when a big hit is legal.

The game is overly offensive. It's too easy for team to move the chains by completing 6 and 8 yard pass plays and that's not fun to watch.

Replay challenges take too long and too often leave you thinking they got the call wrong. The standard for overturning the call needs to change.

Over-saturation. As much as it enables people to see games they would otherwise miss, Thursday and Sunday night diminishes Sunday afternoon hype.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I added another client during the writing of that piece. I am the fastest writer known to mankind. This took me 20 seconds to write.

you wouldn't happen to have a super-sonic dvr as well would you?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The problems as I see it, in no particular order:

They took the most exciting play (kickoff returns) out of the game.

You're never sure when a catch is a catch.

You're never sure when a big hit is legal.

The game is overly offensive. It's too easy for team to move the chains by completing 6 and 8 yard pass plays and that's not fun to watch.

Replay challenges take too long and too often leave you thinking they got the call wrong. The standard for overturning the call needs to change.

Over-saturation. As much as it enables people to see games they would otherwise miss, Thursday and Sunday night diminishes Sunday afternoon hype.

One factor missed by the OP is the cheating. It's the perceived effect of the league having a determined out come. This can't be dismissed as sore loser or imagination. It only takes a small hand full of plays to change a game. MAYBE not win or loss but yes points and point spread. It all started way back on the "SPYGATE" era. Initially we as fans were told to accept that tapes were destroyed and all is well. WELL we all know that waqsn't the case. Then same mentioned team continues to throw mud in the face of the NFL / fans and get away with th it. Finally we have today and this hot **** mess isn't honest. The poor officiating is also a cover to predetermination of out come. WHO can watch this low entertainment drivel???? If it wern't for the steelers and my devoted history I'd be gone. **** The NFL.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS. OH and I think the mellinials are wise to this fact and find it worthless to watch as they don't have the investment into it such as we do. No history or comrodary as to the past. The general public is getting there and it isn't just the M. That are droping the ratings. LOOK at how many here say if it wasn't for the STEELERS and only watch STEELERS games whom otherwise would watch several games. Again, **** the NFL !!

Salute the nation

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Also. Fantasy Football.

The league decided to cater itself toward the casual football fan -fantasy football player. I think it worked initially, but has since back-fired.

Die-hard traditionalist were put off by the fantasy angle and annoyed with, for example, having to wait to see score updates due to individual player stat updates scroll at the bottom of the screen. Oh, Wes Welker has 4 catches for 35 yards! Who gives a ****? This didn't matter because it was more than offset by fantasy fans who were watching for no other reason. Well, now every fantasy player has an app that gives them that information and they aren't watching on TV. Fantasy football is a game they play on their phone.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I have finally made up my mind that this is the last year for NFL ticket with Direct TV. It truly is killing me to make this decision, the game has lost its appeal. I have been an ad vat Steeler fan since 1964, just made up my mind it is not fun watching anymore. I'll find a place to see the boys play buy other wise I could care less. The NFL should be happy so many fans are involved with fantasy and stats football. Sad to say I even gave my Dallas tickets to Ronald McDonald house in Pittsburgh I'm so fed up with the game.

ark steel

Reaction score
Today's remarks by Goodell tell you all you need to know about the NFL''s issues.

The election of Trump will make his job harder, presumably , to fight Domestic Violence. think ray rice is a trump voter?

**** you, goodell . look in the mirror .