• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL 2023 draft simulator

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
  • 17 - Brian Branch, S | Alabama, B+: No brainer. We lost our safety but resigned Kazee. BB is, like Minkah, a chess piece - can play both positions and slot.
  • 32 - Anton Harrison, OT | Oklahoma, A: I didn't see what everyone else saw all season. LT is a priority upgrade for me.
  • 49 - Clark Phillips III, CB | Utah, A: I've been pimping CP3 since I went to see him play in SLC. He can play outside and inside.
  • 80 - Daiyan Henley, LB | Washington State, A+: This was a harder pick; because of the 2 FA signings.
  • 120 - Byron Young (TN), EDGE | Tennessee, A+: Is Buddy coming back? If not, this is a needed position.
  • 234 - Tyler Lacy, DL | Oklahoma State, A+: We need a space eater. Welcome to the team.
  • 241 - Tre Tucker, WR | Cincinnati, B+: Don't know much about the kid but we need another WR. Maybe OBJ in FA instead???

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
  • 17 - Brian Branch, S | Alabama, B+: No brainer. We lost our safety but resigned Kazee. BB is, like Minkah, a chess piece - can play both positions and slot.
  • 32 - Anton Harrison, OT | Oklahoma, A: I didn't see what everyone else saw all season. LT is a priority upgrade for me.
  • 49 - Clark Phillips III, CB | Utah, A: I've been pimping CP3 since I went to see him play in SLC. He can play outside and inside.
  • 80 - Daiyan Henley, LB | Washington State, A+: This was a harder pick; because of the 2 FA signings.
  • 120 - Byron Young (TN), EDGE | Tennessee, A+: Is Buddy coming back? If not, this is a needed position.
  • 234 - Tyler Lacy, DL | Oklahoma State, A+: We need a space eater. Welcome to the team.
  • 241 - Tre Tucker, WR | Cincinnati, B+: Don't know much about the kid but we need another WR. Maybe OBJ in FA instead???

I was about to raise a little “Kane” with yaz, but then I saw your #2 pick and ………………………..

Those first three would be more than likely day one starters. Great mock berm !!!

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
    steelers.svg

Jordan Addison
    WR | USC
    B+

steelers.svg

Trenton Simpson
    LB | Clemson
    B+
    steelers.svg

Keeanu Benton
    DL | Wisconsin
    A

steelers.svg

Garrett Williams
    CB | Syracuse
    B+
    steelers.svg

Nathaniel Dell
    WR | Houston
    B
    steelers.svg

Tyler Steen
    OT | Alabama
    A+

steelers.svg

Ivan Pace Jr.
    LB | Cincinnati
    B+
    steelers.svg

Max Duggan
    QB | TCU
    A
    steelers.svg

Jake Bobo
    WR/TE | UCLA

ianv2012

Reaction score
My walk the mock with 24 other human owners (every team had it's own owners except the 8 that no one signed up to draft for)

1:17Broderick Jones

OTGeorgia
2:1Mazi Smith

DLMichigan
2:18Clark Phillips III

CBUtah
3:17Chris Smith II

SSGeorgia
4:30Dorian Williams

LBTulane
5:19Thomas Incoom

EDGECentral Michigan
5:28Ronnie Bell

WRMichigan
6:27Rezjohn Wright

CBOregon State
7:17Brenton Strange

TEPenn St.
7:24Tyson Bagent

QBShepherd

Trades Made:

Steelers Receive
4:25
5:16
Seahawks Receive
4:18
INCOMING
ACCEPTED

Steelers Receive
4:30
6:37
7:14
Panthers Receive
INCOMING
ACCEPTED

Steelers Receive
5:19
6:27
Raiders Receive
INCOMING
ACCEPTED

Steelers Receive
5:28
Bills Receive
2024 Round 4
OUTGOING
ACCEPTED

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Played w/ trades today...oh boy...

• 18 Brian Branch, S | Alabama - B+ my obvious choice and our biggest need, IMO
  • 32 Anton Harrison, OT | Oklahoma - A we need a new LT - please...
  • 49 Clark Phillips III, CB | Utah - A enter the steal of the draft
  • 55 Trenton Simpson, LB | Clemson - A+ we've been looking for Ryan Shazier's replacement ever since he got injured
  • 80 Nathaniel Dell, WR | Houston - A Coolie is one of my brother's from a different mother - I needed to gift him something
  • 120 Olusegun Oluwatimi, IOL | Michigan - A+ not really a need with the FA signings but I think he's better that Dotson
  • 194 Ali Gaye, EDGE | LSU - A+ OLB project with SEC experience - thank me in 2 years
  • 234 Chris Rodriguez Jr., RB | Kentucky - A+ Benny Snell hasn't resigned CR2 is cheaper and can do the very same things from the same school
  • 241 Stetson Bennett IV, QB | Georgia - A+ Hi MTC, why not add QB3 w/ some one of the biggest hearts I've seen in years - buh bye Rudy

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My walk the mock with 24 other human owners (every team had it's own owners except the 8 that no one signed up to draft for)

1:17Broderick Jones

OTGeorgia
2:1Mazi Smith

DLMichigan
2:18Clark Phillips III

CBUtah
3:17Chris Smith II

SSGeorgia
4:30Dorian Williams

LBTulane
5:19Thomas Incoom

EDGECentral Michigan
5:28Ronnie Bell

WRMichigan
6:27Rezjohn Wright

CBOregon State
7:17Brenton Strange

TEPenn St.
7:24Tyson Bagent

QBShepherd

Trades Made:

Steelers Receive
Seahawks Receive
4:18
INCOMING
ACCEPTED

Steelers Receive
4:30
Panthers Receive
INCOMING
ACCEPTED

Steelers Receive
5:19
6:27
Raiders Receive
INCOMING
ACCEPTED

Steelers Receive
5:28
Bills Receive
2024 Round 4
OUTGOING
ACCEPTED

Ianv2012, you and I both know that those trades will never happen come draft day.

It is VERY possible to get the 1st four picks come draft days. If that would happen, it would be a VERY successful draft.

Thank you SIR

Salute the nation

ianv2012

Reaction score
Ianv2012, you and I both know that those trades will never happen come draft day.

It is VERY possible to get the 1st four picks come draft days. If that would happen, it would be a VERY successful draft.

Thank you SIR

Salute the nation
Probably, but they were offered to me by other human owners, I liked the value of what they offered with who was left so I accepted. That's why I like the walk the mock, because it isn't some bot in the trade decisions, it's humans determining what they're willing to trade. The only trade with a bot was the one I sent to Buffalo, the rest were human offers sent to me when I was on the clock

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
    Brian Branch
    S Alabama
    trade icon
    Dawand Jones
    OT Ohio State

Calijah Kancey
    DT Pittsburgh

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
    Eli Ricks
    CB Alabama

Ronnie Hickman
    S Ohio State

Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan
    trade icon
    Byron Young
    DT Alabama
Traded back and still got Branch.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows what will happen, but if the games I play with mocks are any indication, they have to pick a LT in the first or they don't get one any better than what they currently have.
Harrison may fall to 32, but I'd bet he is gone as well.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
With picks 17 and 32 the Steelers have the trade capital to trade into the #7 or #8 slot ahead of Chicago and pick Skoronski. Can you imagine using Chicago's very own pick against them to secure the OL they are slated to pick? Epic!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is why I try not to trade in the mocks. Nobody I really wanted (P. Johnson, B. Jones, C. Gonzalez, JPJ, Witherspoon) available at 17 so I traded down several times.

• PIT

Trenton Simpson
    LB Clemson
    trade icon
  • PIT

Josh Downs
    WR North Carolina

• PIT

Darnell Washington
    TE Georgia

• PIT

Blake Freeland
    OT BYU
    trade icon
  • PIT

Keeanu Benton
    DT Wisconsin

• PIT

Daiyan Henley
    LB Washington State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Ji'Ayir Brown
    S Penn State

• PIT

Jakorian Bennett
    CB Maryland
    trade icon
  • PIT

Viliami Fehoko
    EDGE San Jose State

• PIT

Byron Young
    DT Alabama
So lots of top-tier talent. Simpson is interesting. His tools and decent production made him look like a top-20 pick but he keeps falling. Not really a Downs fan but I guess. Washington makes the running game better, the passing game better, the red zone better. Freeland needs to add 15 good pounds but his footwork makes him a legit LT prospect and Benton is going to be a good player. Maybe not suited for 0, but 3i and 5-tech very real. Henley is a bit duplicative but he is kind of a SS/LB hybrid. Very good pass defender and dime Mack early on. Bennett has all the physical tools, could be good in Steelers system where he is not asked to "take away" half the field. Fehoko a talented pass rusher and Byron Young because he's a large man and it's late in the draft.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Quality, not quantity!

• PIT

Brian Branch
    S Alabama

• PIT

Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee

• PIT

Drew Sanders
    LB Arkansas

• PIT

Keeanu Benton
    DT Wisconsin

• PIT

Zack Kuntz
    TE Old Dominion

• PIT

YaYa Diaby
    EDGE Louisville
    trade icon

Branch and Sanderson end the torture of completed passes over the middle of the field. Wright is a legit RT. Benton a valuable defensive lineman. I was getting Kuntz in the 7th round of mocks before the combine, now I guess others noticed he is pretty good. Traded up for Diaby. Gave up 2 7th round picks and 2024 6th rounder. Ouch. But Diaby is a specimen for OLB. Big (6'3", 263 lbs.), long arms (almost 34"), fast (1.56 10-yard split), powerful leg drive.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Played w/ trades today...oh boy...

• 18 Brian Branch, S | Alabama - B+ my obvious choice and our biggest need, IMO
  • 32 Anton Harrison, OT | Oklahoma - A we need a new LT - please...
  • 49 Clark Phillips III, CB | Utah - A enter the steal of the draft
  • 55 Trenton Simpson, LB | Clemson - A+ we've been looking for Ryan Shazier's replacement ever since he got injured
  • 80 Nathaniel Dell, WR | Houston - A Coolie is one of my brother's from a different mother - I needed to gift him something
  • 120 Olusegun Oluwatimi, IOL | Michigan - A+ not really a need with the FA signings but I think he's better that Dotson
  • 194 Ali Gaye, EDGE | LSU - A+ OLB project with SEC experience - thank me in 2 years
  • 234 Chris Rodriguez Jr., RB | Kentucky - A+ Benny Snell hasn't resigned CR2 is cheaper and can do the very same things from the same school
  • 241 Stetson Bennett IV, QB | Georgia - A+ Hi MTC, why not add QB3 w/ some one of the biggest hearts I've seen in years - buh bye Rudy
I would take Olu Olu all day at pick 120. Any game I watched Michigan play he dominated,especially the run game. As a center. Which is where he started and excelled. And a dominating centre is certainly a need.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Quality, not quantity!

• PIT

Brian Branch
    S Alabama

• PIT

Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee

• PIT

Drew Sanders
    LB Arkansas

• PIT

Keeanu Benton
    DT Wisconsin

• PIT

Zack Kuntz
    TE Old Dominion

• PIT

YaYa Diaby
    EDGE Louisville
    trade icon

Branch and Sanderson end the torture of completed passes over the middle of the field. Wright is a legit RT. Benton a valuable defensive lineman. I was getting Kuntz in the 7th round of mocks before the combine, now I guess others noticed he is pretty good. Traded up for Diaby. Gave up 2 7th round picks and 2024 6th rounder. Ouch. But Diaby is a specimen for OLB. Big (6'3", 263 lbs.), long arms (almost 34"), fast (1.56 10-yard split), powerful leg drive.
The thing I love about Branch is his tackling. His tape is incredible. Football instinct. Shall be interesting.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The thing with Skoronski is everyone is saying he will be converted to guard. So, the question is, do they want to do that, especially with the free agents they just snagged? They need a tackle that is going to play tackle. It has me shying away from taking him in the 1st round. This draft will be very interesting.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
    Darnell Washington
    TE Georgia
    trade icon
  • PIT

Trenton Simpson
    LB Clemson

• PIT

Gervon Dexter
    DT Florida

• PIT

Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Cody Mauch
    OT North Dakota State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jonathan Mingo
    WR Ole Miss

• PIT

Jammie Robinson
    S Florida State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Moro Ojomo
    DT Texas

• PIT

Tyjae Spears
    RB Tulane
    trade icon
  • PIT

Sean Clifford
    QB Penn State

• PIT

Anthony Johnson
    CB Virginia

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
    Darnell Washington
    TE Georgia
    trade icon
  • PIT

Trenton Simpson
    LB Clemson

• PIT

Gervon Dexter
    DT Florida

• PIT

Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Cody Mauch
    OT North Dakota State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jonathan Mingo
    WR Ole Miss

• PIT

Jammie Robinson
    S Florida State
    trade icon
  • PIT

Moro Ojomo
    DT Texas

• PIT

Tyjae Spears
    RB Tulane
    trade icon
  • PIT

Sean Clifford
    QB Penn State

• PIT

Anthony Johnson
    CB Virginia

I'm liking the draft - lots of trades but what the hey - liking it, then I see you selected Sean Clifford QB Penn St ...

whomp-whomp.gif

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
I'm liking the draft - lots of trades but what the hey - liking it, then I see you selected Sean Clifford QB Penn St ...

whomp-whomp.gif
The Steelers brass punch drunk with their apparent success hand the drafting duties over to Matt Canada to go and get his guy...which he does at pick 231. After the pick is made, Weidl relieves Canada of drafting duties and completes the draft.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PFF... i got a little happy with the trades.

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma
    trade icon
    Will McDonald IV
    EDGE Iowa State
    trade icon
    DJ Turner
    CB Michigan

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor
    trade icon
    Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
    Hendon Hooker
    QB Tennessee
    trade icon
    A.T. Perry
    WR Wake Forest

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
how about we get violent on defense?

Two edges, two fire hydrants in the middle of the defense, a CB, a LT to protect Kenny, a new Center, a WR and an ILB

Isaiah Foskey
    EDGE Notre Dame
    trade icon
    Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

Will McDonald IV
    EDGE Iowa State
    trade icon
    Jaylon Jones
    CB Texas A&M

Ricky Stromberg
    OC Arkansas
    trade icon
    Bryce Ford-Wheaton
    WR West Virginia

Karl Brooks
    DT Bowling Green

Anfernee Orji
    LB Vanderbilt

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
How about a classic? Mock the mock: https://www.draftcountdown.com/nfl-mock-draft/2023-7-round-mock-draft-rounds-1-3-shane-11-0/

1.17 Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State
Not a great draft board for the Steelers. I'm sticking with their history of Tomlin/GM attending the pro day of the first-round pick. Jones falls in line with the massive linemen they've been trying to add this offseason.

2.32 Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
Best player available at this point of the draft. I considered Emmanuel Forbes here given his ball skills, but the slight frame has me concerned when the Steelers expect physical play from their defensive backs.

2.49 Mazi Smith, IDL, Michigan
I don't like passing on Jack Campbell here, but it feels like the Steelers are serious about upgrading the trenches. I could also see going Bresee at 32 and Campbell at 49.

3.80 Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
An ascending player in terms of development. Taking advantage of the deep TE class and grabbing a legit TE2 in the third round. I see the value in 12 personnel, but more importantly, I think he's the best player available at this slot.

4.120 Jonathan Mingo, WR, Mississippi
Big bodied slot receiver. Contrasts nicely with what the Steelers already have at the position.

7.234 Karl Brooks, IDL, Bowling Green
If I'm going to draft a prospect from a smaller school, I'm going to get one who made a living in the backfield.

7.241 Brandon Hill, DB, Pitt
Looking for athletic players this late in the draft.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
How about a classic? Mock the mock: https://www.draftcountdown.com/nfl-mock-draft/2023-7-round-mock-draft-rounds-1-3-shane-11-0/

1.17 Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State
Not a great draft board for the Steelers. I'm sticking with their history of Tomlin/GM attending the pro day of the first-round pick. Jones falls in line with the massive linemen they've been trying to add this offseason.

2.32 Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
Best player available at this point of the draft. I considered Emmanuel Forbes here given his ball skills, but the slight frame has me concerned when the Steelers expect physical play from their defensive backs.

2.49 Mazi Smith, IDL, Michigan
I don't like passing on Jack Campbell here, but it feels like the Steelers are serious about upgrading the trenches. I could also see going Bresee at 32 and Campbell at 49.

3.80 Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
An ascending player in terms of development. Taking advantage of the deep TE class and grabbing a legit TE2 in the third round. I see the value in 12 personnel, but more importantly, I think he's the best player available at this slot.

4.120 Jonathan Mingo, WR, Mississippi
Big bodied slot receiver. Contrasts nicely with what the Steelers already have at the position.

7.234 Karl Brooks, IDL, Bowling Green
If I'm going to draft a prospect from a smaller school, I'm going to get one who made a living in the backfield.

7.241 Brandon Hill, DB, Pitt
Looking for athletic players this late in the draft.

That's a tiny bit high for Dawned Jones who I like a lot as player. He is a big bully type in the run that I would like to have! He allowed 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and not a single sack while playing at right tackle for 11 games last year. Statistically this is a check plus in pass protection! But he has a lot of flags. Why? Asking the OSU fans why. Was he beaten and had to hold in pass protection of just too handsy as a run blocker? There is a difference. What type of flags did he have? False starts or holding.

Depending on who is left on the board I am okay with this pick in round one. If B. Jones is on the board I'd take him over D. Jones simply because he is a left tackle and and D Jones is a right tackle only. I also think that B. Robinson is a top 12 talent at RB and one who can transform our offense which is currently hurting in outside running ability big plays ( 15 yard or more as a runner or receiver ) but that is another story as Harris can not deliver the these type of plays enough.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's a tiny bit high for Dawned Jones who I like a lot as player. He is a big bully type in the run that I would like to have! He allowed 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and not a single sack while playing at right tackle for 11 games last year. Statistically this is a check plus in pass protection! But he has a lot of flags. Why? Asking the OSU fans why. Was he beaten and had to hold in pass protection of just too handsy as a run blocker? There is a difference. What type of flags did he have? False starts or holding.

Depending on who is left on the board I am okay with this pick in round one. If B. Jones is on the board I'd take him over D. Jones simply because he is a left tackle and and D Jones is a right tackle only. I also think that B. Robinson is a top 12 talent at RB and one who can transform our offense which is currently hurting in outside running ability big plays ( 15 yard or more as a runner or receiver ) but that is another story as Harris can not deliver the these type of plays enough.
No they won't be taking a RB early in the draft. Repeat this sentence between the foaming of your mouth.

So "Dawned" Jones is high but you admit to knowing nothing about how his penalties came about.

More indepth research by the resident noob.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
No they won't be taking a RB early in the draft. Repeat this sentence between the foaming of you mouth.

So "Dawned" Jones is high but you admit to knowing nothing about how his penalties came about.

More indepth research by the resident noob.

No, can you break down down his flags for me? I seldom watch OSU football. More of an SEC fan. Thanks.

RB Harris sucks as a feature back, he can not run outside well, and does to hit big plays either running or pass catching. I guess you happy with his 3.8 yard per rush and his 5.6 yards per catch. I am not. His lack of big plays 15+ is a reason why we struggle to score. You need 15+ plays to score enough points. Wake up.

If you watch Robinson play and understand the modern game of football it features Running back who can run outside, and win passing match up's, you know things Harris is poor at you would like Robinson a lot. But you don't understand this obviously. Robinson has very good speed, vision, acceleration, agility ,and power too. No worries I suspect he will be off the board when we select. He's is that good. The best back to come out in a while I think. If it makes you understand better Robinson is a triple that RB as he can run inside out outside well and is dangerous in the pass catching dependent. You need to game plan for him. Najee Harris as a feature back is easy to prepare for. He seldom runs outside for a reason and can be confined as pass cacher. Defense can ignore him running outside or being a threat and jam the inside. He is not a big play threat at all, and can be prepared for very easily as an inside the tackles type of runner which does not stretch the field horizontally or vertically. You want that?

Deepening on who is on the board I would take Robinson in the first round, and take a tackle with our first pick ( pick #32 ) in the second round.