• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Next years schedule.

awboatguy

Reaction score
My understanding is that its a home/away rotation when playing an intraconference division. So in three years when we play the AFC south again, we will travel to Indy and Houston, while Jax and Ten visit the burgh. Same goes for the "same place as" games.

They did add this caveat in 2010 after the original formula made one complete cycle.

Under the original 2002 formula, half of the teams scheduled to play all the AFC West clubs had to travel to both Oakland and San Diego in the same season, while half of the clubs playing the NFC West had to make their way to both San Francisco and Seattle. In years in which a division was scheduled to play both AFC and NFC West teams, two clubs (such as the New England Patriots and New York Jets in 2008) each had to make cross-country trips to all four of the aforementioned west coast teams.

As a result, after all of the teams had cycled through playing against each other both home and away by the end of the 2009 season, the NFL tweaked the pairings to relieve teams from having to travel to the west coast more than twice in a season. Under the modifications implemented in 2010, clubs now only have to travel to play one team based on the west coast (either Oakland or San Diego) in years they play the teams in the AFC West, and only one such team (either San Francisco or Seattle) in years they play the NFC West.[7]

This ensures that each team in your conference comes to your stadium at least once every six years, and every team in the league every 8.

Now that is a complete response. I just learned something. Thanks Freak!

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
Ya I know that, but how are the home/away set for the NE, IND, Den, KC, Oak, SD games set? It cant just rotate. If it did, we would go to NE, Ind, KC i think.

My understanding is that its a home/away rotation when playing an intraconference division. So in three years when we play the AFC south again, we will travel to Indy and Houston, while Jax and Ten visit the burgh. Same goes for the "same place as" games.

They did add this caveat in 2010 after the original formula made one complete cycle.

Under the original 2002 formula, half of the teams scheduled to play all the AFC West clubs had to travel to both Oakland and San Diego in the same season, while half of the clubs playing the NFC West had to make their way to both San Francisco and Seattle. In years in which a division was scheduled to play both AFC and NFC West teams, two clubs (such as the New England Patriots and New York Jets in 2008) each had to make cross-country trips to all four of the aforementioned west coast teams.

As a result, after all of the teams had cycled through playing against each other both home and away by the end of the 2009 season, the NFL tweaked the pairings to relieve teams from having to travel to the west coast more than twice in a season. Under the modifications implemented in 2010, clubs now only have to travel to play one team based on the west coast (either Oakland or San Diego) in years they play the teams in the AFC West, and only one such team (either San Francisco or Seattle) in years they play the NFC West.[7]

This ensures that each team in your conference comes to your stadium at least once every six years, and every team in the league every 8.

Wingman

Reaction score
I have never really cared how although it is interesting. Just seeing all those cross country trips regardless of who the team plays make the schedule tougher in my mind. That extra distance almost makes for lots of short weeks.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
My understanding is that its a home/away rotation when playing an intraconference division. So in three years when we play the AFC south again, we will travel to Indy and Houston, while Jax and Ten visit the burgh.

As far as "same place" games within your conference this year that was 3rd place KC at home and 3rd place Jets on the road. My understanding is the next year we play the AFC south we will travel to the West team and the team from the east will come to us.

Cool. That explains everything to me except the 2 same place games. How did they determine that we would be at the Pats and home against the Colts and not the opposite?

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Cripes!! Seahawks AND Patriots on the road??

And watch, we'll be that annual ******* that St Louis slaughters by 4 TD's in their backyard, probably the week after beating a top team:cool:

Oh, and hallelujah, we get to finally play Denver at home, finally!

Last edited:

tdub88

Reaction score
Sweet! will be at the Seattle game(maybe in club seating), and possibly the San Diego game.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Im thinking about going to either the KC game or STL game, depending on when they are scheduled.

Gareth

Reaction score
KC and St Louis...assuming I'm still in this state, which is likely....I'll definitely catch KC, and likely catch St. Louis.

steelpastor

Reaction score

I am excited that I will have couple of West Coast options. I will almost certainly be going to the San Diego game... maybe another one as well. Seattle is a possibility... depending on the actual schedule.

All that said... not an easy schedule, for sure. However, if we can get thru it... we will be a hardened bunch. If we can pull it off, it would make us more playoff ready than in any ready than in any year in recent memory.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hardened, like the 05 squad!!!!

Salute the nation

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Next years schedule.

The Steelers 2015 opponents include the usual AFC North teams,

The Steelers 2015 opponents are now finalized with the regular season over.

At home the Steelers will have their normal AFC North matchups against the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns. The Steelers will also host the Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers.

On the road the Steelers will take on AFC North rivals Baltimore, Cincinnati and Cleveland. The team will have some long road trips against the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams.

I post this not because I am advocating worrying about it now but because it looks very tough. Lots of long distance traveling that the team has always seemed to have trouble with. Also this year might be the best chance for a championship in the near future as the short week and the bye schedule could really be huge next season as well. I hope the team sees this and decides to go all in for this year and not to think we can do better next year. The road games are not just long trips but also some difficult places to play.

How many 2014 playoff teams do we play? Nine? Brutal. The road games are also brutal.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Next years schedule.

The Steelers 2015 opponents include the usual AFC North teams,

The Steelers 2015 opponents are now finalized with the regular season over.

At home the Steelers will have their normal AFC North matchups against the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns. The Steelers will also host the Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers.

On the road the Steelers will take on AFC North rivals Baltimore, Cincinnati and Cleveland. The team will have some long road trips against the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams.

I post this not because I am advocating worrying about it now but because it looks very tough. Lots of long distance traveling that the team has always seemed to have trouble with. Also this year might be the best chance for a championship in the near future as the short week and the bye schedule could really be huge next season as well. I hope the team sees this and decides to go all in for this year and not to think we can do better next year. The road games are not just long trips but also some difficult places to play.

That is a brutal road schedule. Chiefs will be improved, Pats will cheat, Bolts are tough, Hawks will be tough, and the Rams have a good young team.

Home is at least Donkeys hopefully - Manning, Raiders actually play us tough because they are stuck in the 70's, Colts are tough, Cards will be tough, and the '9ers will be tough. Lets see what Tomlin can do with a tough schedule.