• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New OC, Who Are the Candidates?

mdk2

Reaction score
He's "optimistic about Canada and what he can do." Un-*******-real.
I can only think that Tomlin is now starting to dip his toes into the offensive side now and he knows Canada won't go against what he suggests.

I can't think of anything else.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
How in the hell could anyone think Canada is the right man for the job?

Well, seriously............................. it would take two weeks of pure drunkenness and a hard ride home in the S10

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin basically just said that Matt Canada is coming back as OC next year. Totally ******* clueless.
WTH??? I didn’t hear anything but the typical coach speak that 90% of HC‘s say at their last official press conference of the season. The only item Tomlin said about a change was Butler. He acknowledged he and Buts discussed it possibly being his last year, but he hadn’t had his exit interview with the coaches yet. Has anyone watched a Belicheat press conference? Cripes, PIT writers have it good.

I guess every thread is going to be a fire Tomlin, or bash every decision the HC made…..Hell, I'm surprised there is no criticism of the Harvin decision. He punted well enough. Those who watched the game saw, Tomlin give Ben the reins in the middle of the 3rd qtr to go no huddle. That was Ben calling all the plays, except after timeouts.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
WTH??? I didn’t hear anything but the typical coach speak that 90% of HC‘s say at their last official press conference of the season. The only item Tomlin said about a change was Butler. He acknowledged he and Buts discussed it possibly being his last year, but he hadn’t had his exit interview with the coaches yet. Has anyone watched a Belicheat press conference? Cripes, PIT writers have it good.

I guess every thread is going to be a fire Tomlin, or bash every decision the HC made…..Hell, I'm surprised there is no criticism of the Harvin decision. He punted well enough. Those who watched the game saw, Tomlin give Ben the reins in the middle of the 3rd qtr to go no huddle. That was Ben calling all the plays, except after timeouts.
He's "optimistic about Canada and what he can do." Exactly what part of that confuses you? He's going to look like a bigger dumb **** if he fires him after making a comment like that.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
Tomlin must really want the No. 1 pick in the 2023 draft. That will be the new standard that we will have to watch eyelid-less for the next few years.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
His type of offense is what you want in today's NFL...it doesn't work worth beans with 40 year old QBs who are statues.

Did you watch Mason in his last two times coming in? He ran multiple times to show that he's willing to do it and that he's mobile...of course he's not...not in the true sense. I think he had a 25+ yard run in one game...he wants the job, but I think it's a serious mistake not bringing in a mobile vet like Wilson and instead relying on Rudolph.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
His type of offense is what you want in today's NFL...it doesn't work worth beans with 40 year old QBs who are statues.

Did you watch Mason in his last two times coming in? He ran multiple times to show that he's willing to do it and that he's mobile...of course he's not...not in the true sense. I think he had a 25+ yard run in one game...he wants the job, but I think it's a serious mistake not bringing in a mobile vet like Wilson and instead relying on Rudolph.
1. If your OC can not modify his playbook and game plan based on the personnel, he is a ******* IDIOT
2. If your playbook and/or scheme requires your QB to be mobile, you are a ******* IDIOT
3. 3 of the top QB's in the NFL this year, Brady, Rodgers, and Burrow...which of those 3 guys would you consider to be mobile?
4. Mobile QB's are great until they tear and ACL or Achilles. Give me a pocket passer any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I can only think that Tomlin is now starting to dip his toes into the offensive side now and he knows Canada won't go against what he suggests.

I can't think of anything else.
he's already been doing this, he's said as much himself, he said, "I have more than just a say on what happens on offense", did this offense look any different than Fichtner's? Hell no, it looks exactly the same.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
He's "optimistic about Canada and what he can do." Exactly what part of that confuses you? He's going to look like a bigger dumb **** if he fires him after making a comment like that.
No….what confuses you to interpret that comment doesn’t applies to every coach or player? During that press conference Tomlin prefaced every question (from Lolley, Pruista, DK, Pryor and I suspect Kaboly) about coaching staff and players, FA or otherwise as undecided until the personal exit interview is completed, of which none of the coaches have. Only the rooks, and 1st year players. What is the HC to say? “I thought he sucked so when I talk to him, he’s going to be fired”. Dear Lord have you never heard a year end HC final press conference? It’s practically Corporate HR 101. Do you feel you excelled? Give examples. What did you like? What would you change and why?

Its fine to gripe, but making stuff up a’la Coach doesn’t help the site.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
he's already been doing this, he's said as much himself, he said, "I have more than just a say on what happens on offense", did this offense look any different than Fichtner's? Hell no, it looks exactly the same.
Hmmm....I wonder what the common denominator is all these years....hmmm. just can't figure it out...I think it has something to do with Bruce Arians.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, there were less bubble screens and more 2nd down runs up the gut.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
This was, and has always been Ben's offense. That's why everything has always looked the same, regardless of OC. Sure, there was word about changing verbiage this summer, how Ben had to learn some new stuff, but by the time Sundays rolled around and the ball was kicked off, same offense we've always seen. Couple of long throws down the right sideline a few times a game, other than that, dink and dunk near the LOS and an uninspiring run game with terrible blocking. Don't know whose fault it was we got to be this tepid and predictable. Saw it under Fichtner, and obviously now in Canada's first year. With Ben gone, perhaps they'll try a truly different approach.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This was, and has always been Ben's offense. That's why everything has always looked the same, regardless of OC. Sure, there was word about changing verbiage this summer, how Ben had to learn some new stuff, but by the time Sundays rolled around and the ball was kicked off, same offense we've always seen. Couple of long throws down the right sideline a few times a game, other than that, dink and dunk near the LOS and an uninspiring run game with terrible blocking. Don't know who's fault it was we got to be this tepid and predictable. Saw it under Fichtner, and obviously now in Canada's first year. With Ben gone, perhaps they'll try a truly different approach.
Canada has one good year as OC and it was when he was with a loaded Pitt team. He's just not a great coordinator.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
37 total points in 18 first quarters this season, baby...now that's production. That's sticking to the script.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Whats Wilson cost? I want a BMW but that doesn't mean I can get one

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Whats Wilson cost? I want a BMW but that doesn't mean I can get one
Not everyone can get a luxury vehicle.😁I would imagine any of the top tier QBs would be pricey. Steelers are in a rare position to be able to shell out some bucks. I prefer them to make sure those lines are stocked. But **** how often can you obtain a franchise without drafting one or afford one?

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I will take the job. Play action passes will be implemented. No bubble screens. I.
Am on my 4th drink.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
37 total points in 18 first quarters this season, baby...now that's production. That's sticking to the script.
Not everyone can get a luxury vehicle.😁I would imagine any of the top tier QBs would be pricey. Steelers are in a rare position to be able to shell out some bucks. I prefer them to make sure those lines are stocked. But **** how often can you obtain a franchise without drafting one or afford one?
Problem is that Wilson is not a FA, so is not only the cap jut the draft picks to surrender. It's just not gonna happen. It's like ne saying "well, I'd like to bring Stafford " guess what, it ain't happening

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Problem is that Wilson is not a FA, so is not only the cap jut the draft picks to surrender. It's just not gonna happen. It's like ne saying "well, I'd like to bring Stafford " guess what, it ain't happening
Probably right I would think they would want significant picks. Not the QB I prefer anyways. That guy is in Green bay and it is a pipedream for us to get him too. I never expected the Steelers would get Mink. He sort of fell in their lap as did Haden. Maybe we will get lucky and won't have to throw a **** load of picks to get one. Thing that sort of sucks is the draft looks weak and free agent crop available looks even weaker.