• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike and Mike breaking up?

Spike

Reaction score
Greenberg leaving Mike & Mike for new ESPN TV program

The end of one of the longest-running partnerships in sports radio is coming soon.

SI.com has learned via multiple sources that ESPN executives are moving forward with the plan to shift Mike Greenberg—one half of the long-running Mike & Mike radio show on ESPN Radio—into a new role as the lead host of a television show that would air in the mornings on ESPN. The new show will have elements of SportsCenter—which currently airs at that time—as well as a traditional morning show. It is expected to be based in New York City. The new program would put an end to end to Greenberg’s on-air partnership with Mike Golic, which began in October 1998.

The leading in-house candidate to emerge as a replacement is Trey Wingo, who has experience on ESPN Radio and is one of the network’s signature NFL hosts. Wingo is the expected replacement for Chris Berman on ESPN's coverage of the opening night of the NFL draft. [Update: It is unclear whether Mike Golic would stay as part of a new show. Mike Golic Jr., who already works for ESPN Radio, could be part of a new show in some role if his father stayed on with a new partner.] There is no timeframe yet for the end of Mike & Mike or the beginning of the new program, but sources said to expect the transition to take place sooner than later.

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/01/12/mike-and-mike-greenberg-espn-radio-sportscenter-am

-----------------

Who the hell would want to hear Golic & Golic?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Mike Greenberg. Golic I like. I went to see them one morning about 5 or 6 years ago, do their show at Chickies and Peetes in South Philly. My wife loved Greeney at the time. We were 2 of 8 people there to see them. Their schtick of, the dumb jock, and the smart nerd was forced and trite. Greenberg did not speak to anyone in the crowd (crowd of 8) during breaks. He didn't even talk to Golic. Only the producer. Golic is more personable. He's a people person, and genuinely appreciative of any people who came to see them do their show.

They gave us Tshirts and tickets to that night's Philadelphia Soul game. One endzone had Gold shirts (for Golic) the other side had Green Shirts (For Greenberg). They also announced that game for ESPN 3. I didn't hear the broadcast, since I was at the game, but I always felt Greenberg's calling is a play by play guy, since he lacks personality.

I've always felt Greenberg was not genuine. His takes are weak, and non confrontational. It's led to a very generic morning show, that is only on, because there is nothing else to compete with it nation wide. Coward was far more entertaining, this show just seemed to go through the motions. I'm happy to have a better option come on in the mornings than to listen to Mike and Mike again...

mdk2

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Mike Greenberg. Golic I like. I went to see them one morning about 5 or 6 years ago, do their show at Chickies and Peetes in South Philly. My wife loved Greeney at the time. We were 2 of 8 people there to see them. Their schtick of, the dumb jock, and the smart nerd was forced and trite. Greenberg did not speak to anyone in the crowd (crowd of 8) during breaks. He didn't even talk to Golic. Only the producer. Golic is more personable. He's a people person, and genuinely appreciative of any people who came to see them do their show.

They gave us Tshirts and tickets to that night's Philadelphia Soul game. One endzone had Gold shirts (for Golic) the other side had Green Shirts (For Greenberg). They also announced that game for ESPN 3. I didn't hear the broadcast, since I was at the game, but I always felt Greenberg's calling is a play by play guy, since he lacks personality.

I've always felt Greenberg was not genuine. His takes are weak, and non confrontational. It's led to a very generic morning show, that is only on, because there is nothing else to compete with it nation wide. Coward was far more entertaining, this show just seemed to go through the motions. I'm happy to have a better option come on in the mornings than to listen to Mike and Mike again...

Mad dog sports radio on Serius XM is the best IMO. I've tried to listen to Mike and Mike a couple times and like you said, it was boring and bland.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Hallelujah, it's about time. Hopefully they fill it with a morning show actually worth listening to.

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My local ESPN affiliate replaces them at 7:00 with local hosts. So I would not notice much of a difference of they broke up.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I like Mike and Mike, and it's refreshing to hear a guy that wasn't a professional athlete, so I don't have to hear "when I played" constantly, and Greenberg is a blow hard over opinionated douche.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Too much shtick for my taste. And way too much NBA talk. I used to have a long commute and it got much worse when my preferred morning show (Steve Czaban) was cancelled and I was stuck listening to Mike & Mike.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually only hear a few minutes of it but it seems like this has been coming for a long time. They have had tons of guest hosts, almost like they were auditioning replacements or maybe a 3rd host.

ESPN has been pushing this ESPN-W thing on non football weekends. It's a show hosted by 3 women. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a woman as co-host because they want to. The fact that they still employ an idiot like Jemelle Hill shows how committed ESPN is to on air diversity quotas.

i will not miss Greenburg and his predictable takes. What is the weakest, most politically correct take? That's greenie's take.

The problem with ESPN is the have few people with real opinions. It's either the politically correct take, or it's the screaming hot take just to try to be controversial.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They overexposed these two and the quality of their program suffered. Just clean house and bring in some quality voices.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
That sucks. I like the show. I watch it every morning or listen if I'm traveling. While I agree with most on M green, they flow well. You see this when they are on breaks.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Mike and Mike may have been the greatest sports radio show ever, but it has run its course.

I still like it, but Greenberg has become too much of a pompous douche in recent years.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Never really paid attention to Mike & Mike. Not up in arms over it. Cope! Damn. Really thought out post. Golic sounds like a douche

xjx

Reaction score
They both suck.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
At ESPN and in TV circles the show is referred to as Mickey and Mickey because of its tepid takes. (That's a reference to Mickey Mouse, since ESPN is owned by Disney.)

Spike

Reaction score
i like Greenie....a Jets fan that is continually disappointed

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Never really watched Mike and Mike but their producer comes to see my band whenever he comes down here. Cool guy too. Wanted us to do some music for the show but we never did. I asked him who the coolest guy at espntmz is and he said Greenie, lol.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Never really watched Mike and Mike but their producer comes to see my band whenever he comes down here. Cool guy too. Wanted us to do some music for the show but we never did. I asked him who the coolest guy at espntmz is and he said Greenie, lol.

Greenie is a sports nerd, well and a regular nerd too. But that why I like him. He truely seems down to earth and not full of himself. He is a ***** abit in not taking a stance on in side or the other too often BC he doesn't want to accent anyone.

And like spike said, I enjoy his Jets misery. Lol.

If he is going, Big Mike is soon gone imo.

Reactions: MTC

Supersteeler

Reaction score
They need to start carrying the Dan Patrick show on my radio. That is entertainment. Mike and Mike are ok. I flip back and forth between them and DVE on my way to work.

Last edited:

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Their act has grown old. I stopped watching/listening to them a few years ago.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
Too much shtick for my taste...I used to have a long commute and it got much worse when my preferred morning show (Steve Czaban) was cancelled....

I miss the Czabe, too.

The company that owns SB Nation radio is based in Houston and has had financial problems since its local station signed on several years ago. It was strictly a money thing. What's strange is that his three sidekicks - Linn, Murray and Solly - are still doing the show. But it's not the same without the Czabe.

However, you can still hear him on ESPN 980 in DC weekdays from 3 to 6:

http://www.espn980.com/the-sports-reporters/

Whitesandwich

Reaction score
Clay Travis on Fox Sports radio came in a couple months ago and destroyed Mike and Mike's ratings. Fox Sports radio is dominating ESPN radio right now, Clay Travis 6-9 and then Dan Patrick 9-12. No yuck yucking with former back in my day athletes, just solid, intelligent and funny sports talk radio.

Last edited:

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Clay Travis on Fox Sports radio came in a couple months ago and destroyed Mike and Mike's ratings. Fox Sports radio is dominating ESPN radio right now, Clay Travis 6-9 and then Dan Patrick 9-12. No yuck yucking with former back in my day athletes, just solid, intelligent and funny sports talk radio.

I've never heard of Clay Travis. I always liked with Mike and Mike would have Cris Carter on. He had a lot of great insight and he didn't sugarcoat it.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
I used to love them. Im over it. I listen to the local ESPN guys more than any national broadcasts. Lately Ive been getting a kick out of the Dan LeBetard show. IDK Never liked it before.

But for morning commute, I usually have Mad Dog channel on.