• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Meaningless Win

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
But Ben and Brown looked to be in tune with each other and the starting D played well

and I still don't like the ****** on my team, but L. Jones didn't totally suck

play of the game though has to be the 15 yard end around by Ayers....

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Jones actually made some nice throws. Secondary still scares me, to soft and piss poor tackling. Some nice plays on offense.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Gonna be tough for Ayers to make this team. I don't seem him making the final cuts. Hopefully he lands on the practice squad because I like what I see from him in limited action.

Eli Rogers is going to move up the depth chart this season and to watch him and Coates develop with Ben it could make our offense unstoppable. I think both of those guys will move ahead of Wheaton on the depth chart this season. Also Grimble looks pretty good.

The Defense looks good, Javon Hargrave is going to be a star. He has some great moves for a rookie. DVE is really talking up Uncle Jarvis saying he put his game in a higher gear tonight....sorry I didn't see it. I just saw him run up the field and as usual the tackle use his leverage against him to push him out of the play. I think Sean Davis is going to be a special player for us. He's just gotta get experience and know where he in on the field. Our Defense is very fast side to side....and I still think James Harrison is our best OLB despite being 38 years old. GO DEEBO!

Shamarko has a groin injury, severity is not known at this time
Cam Heyward has an ankle injury they will know more tomorrow according to Tomlin. No mention of an MRI so hopefully it's not serious
Marcus Gilbert hurt his elbow to Tomlin's knowledge it's not serious

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Wondering about Cam too, websites saying he was carted off the field with his ankle in ice.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Reports were Heyward was in a walking boot on the sidelines. All I know is that Deangelo Williams was in a walking boot and greeting teammates after beating the brownies in the finale last year, and wasn't cleared for physical activity until months later. Ricardo Matthews has shown us a little bit and doesn't look to be a total turd like Cam Thomas. I'm feeling like This is one of those hoping for the best, fearing the worst kind of things.

Black&GoldenShowers

Reaction score
I hope this is true....

Ed Bouchette – Verified account ‏@EdBouchette

Steelers DE Cam Heyward has a high ankle sprain but told me, "I'll be there Week One."
9:01 PM - 26 Aug 2016

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I hope this is true....

Ed Bouchette – Verified account ‏@EdBouchette

Steelers DE Cam Heyward has a high ankle sprain but told me, "I'll be there Week One."
9:01 PM - 26 Aug 2016
HAS particularly on a big guy like that is 3 to 4 weeks. But on the good side it isnt a season ender. Wish Tomlin took the same tact with his centre piece defenders as the offensive ones. Shazier played crazy amounts this pre season.

Spike

Reaction score
4 WIDE & 5 WIDE!

Just like I like to see!!!

WE don't need no stinking defense!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
HAS particularly on a big guy like that is 3 to 4 weeks. But on the good side it isnt a season ender. Wish Tomlin took the same tact with his centre piece defenders as the offensive ones. Shazier played crazy amounts this pre season.

I think they were playing Shazier a lot because he has still missed a lot of snaps..

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I'm going to give Jarvis credit for pressuring and hurrying the QB while he was in but I do understand the need for others to see him actually finish and get the sack..I will acknowledge that

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think they were playing Shazier a lot because he has still missed a lot of snaps..
Heyward and Shazier are Ben and AB of the defense. Shazier has played a ton of ball this pre season. And there is a ton of depth at ILB behind him that needs to be sorted out.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Saw the Heyward injury on the replay. He was against a double team and foot caught in turf.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Heyward and Shazier are Ben and AB of the defense. Shazier has played a ton of ball this pre season. And there is a ton of depth at ILB behind him that needs to be sorted out.

I hear ya but I can understand their reasoning..He needs reps. He has missed a lot of action..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A boot isn't good. A high ankle sprain pretty much means he won't be there week 1. He probably won't see action until week 3 or so. If you bring back a high ankle sprain too soon, nothing good comes from it so they will keep him out. Hopefully, it's not a high ankle sprain.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...essure-season-underway-pass-rushing-pressure/

Nice start for Uncle Jarvis

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...essure-season-underway-pass-rushing-pressure/

Nice start for Uncle Jarvis

Doesn't look good for Jones.......Chicky had a tackle.

Get ready for Coach's weekly Chick vs. Jones thread. Looks like Coach has some ammo this week. LOL

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Menu
Sections
Search
Subscriber Tools & Rewards
Washington County
Greene County
Mon Valley
News
Business
Mental Health Matters
Sports
Opinion
Lifestyles
O-R Blogs
Obituaries
Multimedia
Publications
Maps
Advertise With Us
Connect With Us
About Us
Classifieds & Shopping
Events Calendar
OPC Regional Events
e-Edition
NFL from the Sidelines
Blogs NFL from the Sidelines
O-R Sports reporter Dale Lolley gets you the insider scoop on the NFL.
Thoughts on an explosive effort in New Orleans
August 27, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) works against the New Orleans Saints during the first half of an NFL preseason football game, Friday, Aug. 26, 2016, in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)
The Steelers offense hit the ground running against the Saints Friday night in the team’s 27-14 win in New Orleans.

Ben Roethlisberger was on point with most of his throws and the receiving corps, offensive line and running backs all looked ready to go.

Landry Jones also bounced back from his four-interception performance last week to go 19 of 22 for 206 yards and a touchdown.

But remember, this New Orleans defense allowed 42 touchdown passes last season. This was not a good defense, but you only play who you have to play.

Still, that was an NFL defense out there and the Steelers made it look like they were playing against air.

Sammie Coates looked as good as he has in this preseason, which was a plus. But the Steelers seem to have settled on a “starting” formation that includes Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton on the outside and Eli Rogers in the slot.

That doesn’t mean Coates won’t get on the field. But he’s going to have to keep making plays after slogging his way through the first two preseason games.

@ Le’Veon Bell fumbled, which he’s done just once in a regular season game in the previous three seasons. But other than that, he looked outstanding.

Once his three-game suspension is completed, Bell will be back to have a huge season.

@ Drew Rosenhous, the agent for Antonio Brown, was at the game to meet with general manager Kevin Colbert to talk about getting more money for the star wide receiver.

The Steelers freed up some cash this week by renegotiating the contracts of Marcus Gilbert and Mike Mitchell, turning base salary into signing bonus and clearing $5-7 million in cap space.

The team isn’t going to sign Brown to an extension, but it can move some of his 2017 salary into this season as it did a year ago. And to do that, it needed cap space.

@ It wasn’t all good news as Cameron Heyward (ankle), Gilbert (elbow), Shamarko Thomas (groin) all left the contest.

Heyward was in a walking boot, which is actually a good thing. It would have been worse had he been on crutches. The Steelers have just over two weeks before they play and will have plenty of time for Heyward to heal up.

@ Nose tackle Daniel McCullers just might have Wally Pipped in this one.

McCullers sat out with a sore knee and rookie Javon Hargrave was active, recording a sack, hustling to the ball and generally being disruptive.

@ Jarvis Jones looked good in his first action of this preseason. I know a lot of fans are always going to want more from the former first-round draft pick, but he’s probably never going to be a star.

What he is, however, is a solid starter. He should get more playing time this season and he knows he has to take advantage of that. Friday night, he looked like he deserved it.

He looked awfully fast getting around the end several times in this one and forcing bad throws. It also was interesting that the Steelers flip-flopped Jones and Arthur Moats at times, allowing Jones to rush from the strong side.

@ I don’t care who’s on the offensive line when Roethlisberger is getting rid of the ball like he did in this one. Many people are wondering how this offense will be better in 2016 without Martavis Bryant and Heath Miller and with Bell suspended for the first three games of the season.

But the Smurf receivers group of Brown, Wheaton and Rogers looks like an old run-and-shoot group that is lightning quick. And Todd Haley is creative enough to find ways to keep opponents guessing.

This offense will be fine until Bell returns. And remember this, the Steelers have averaged more than 30 points per game in Roethlisberger’s last 21 regular season starts.

If the Steelers play at the offensive pace they did Friday, opponents are in deep trouble.

@ Xavier Grimble had a nice showing in this game. He needed one.

I still think the Steelers need another blocker at the tight end position, but Grimble put his best claim on the No. 3 tight end spot.

He looks like a big wide receiver out there, kind of what the Steelers hoped they were getting with Lardarius Green.

That could still happen with Green. And if it does, this offense could be ridiculous.

@ This defense looks faster than any the Steelers have put on the field in some time.

Robert Golden makes them quicker at strong safety and this defensive line can get after it. At some point, we might even get to see another fast guy, Bud Dupree, out there running around

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Doesn't look good for Jones.......Chicky had a tackle.

Get ready for Coach's weekly Chick vs. Jones thread. Looks like Coach has some ammo this week. LOL

Especially if you didn't see the game. That tackle is going to make for a long week lol.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
So is Landry now as good as Dak and headed for the HOF too?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So is Landry now as good as Dak and headed for the HOF too?

he is day and night

sometimes he plays lights out

sometimes you wanna knock his lights out

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
A couple things. L. Jones did look much better this week and to be fair the receivers were much better. He was working with threes and worse in his 4 int game.
Jarvis did look better, he had some good pressures. But at the same time Harrison totally abused the LT when he got in there. I don't think their LT was playing well and he left as I think he was injured before warm up. Right after JJ drew the hold when Fleener caught a deep seem the LT left. The announcers said he hasn't looked good at all.
Chickillo forced a intentiona grounding before half I believe.