• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maurkice Pouncey Speaks Out On Helmet Saga

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
By Matt Papiernik*@Matt_Papiernik*on Twitter SteelerNation.com Today*Maurkice Pouncey*posted a screenshot on his Instagram account (@MaurkicePouncey) to clear the air on him and the rest of the*Pittsburgh Steelers*wearing*Antwon Rose’s*name on the back of their helmet. View this post on Instagram @pghpolicechief @pghpolice @northmiamipd @lakelandpd A post shared by Maurkice Pouncey (@maurkicepouncey) on Sep 17, 2020 at 6:30am […]
The post Maurkice Pouncey Speaks Out On Helmet Saga appeared first on SteelerNation.com.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Maurkice Pouncey is going to say what he has to say no matter what, but I think he and everyone in sports 'jounalism' should just let this click-bait story die and move on to the business of football.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Good for Maurkise, it's easy to fall in line on controversial issues no matter which way they lean.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone thought things through, had rational discussions, then made decisions that will have lasting effects?

One more example of why politics should be left out of sports.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't buy for one second that Pouncey or anyone else didn't know the backstory on their martyr. What they didn't account for was the fallout and repercussions for their choice. All of the players that have endorsement deals, foundations, and sponsorship agreements in place don't seem to understand why many businesses want to distance themselves from the "social justice" as to not alienate customers. Now that they didn't get the response they wanted, now they want to back track. This whole debacle should be left up to each and every player to support who they choose to support, not a one size fits all approach.

mdk2

Reaction score
I don't buy for one second that Pouncey or anyone else didn't know the backstory on their martyr. What they didn't account for was the fallout and repercussions for their choice. All of the players that have endorsement deals, foundations, and sponsorship agreements in place don't seem to understand why many businesses want to distance themselves from the "social justice" as to not alienate customers. Now that they didn't get the response they wanted, now they want to back track. This whole debacle should be left up to each and every player to support who they choose to support, not a one size fits all approach.

I agree with some of what you say but the majority of sponsorships and endorsements are going to side with the anti-police sentiment. I respect him for atleast having the balls to admit he was wrong for just going along with the popular thing to do rather than make his own decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
Here’s a novel idea. Just go play football. Why does everyone need to make a statement. Wasn’t it Martin Luther King that said to not judge the color of your skin but content of your character. Live upright and play the game you are paid handsomely to play.

mdk2

Reaction score
Here’s a novel idea. Just go play football. Why does everyone need to make a statement. Wasn’t it Martin Luther King that said to not judge the color of your skin but content of your character. Live upright and play the game you are paid handsomely to play.

Well yeah, I think we all want that but that doesn’t seem to be an option anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenleader

Reaction score
I forgot who Antwon Rose was with all the other stuff that's been going on lately. Some of these players don't live in Pittsburgh year round. If I was a pro football player I'd probably be too busy working out, spending money and smashing broads to be watching the news. The league probably forced the team to do something woke, they said let's put a name on the helmet, someone said "how about antwan rose?" they said OK and went on with business. Military psy ops probably told AV recruitment is down, put a fallen soldier's name on your helmet instead. He said "cool" and went on with business.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'd be interested in who actually voted to have Rose's name on their helmets because there's now two players not on board with it. I'm kinda suprised Ben would be for it for all the work he does with the police all over the country.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be interested in who actually voted to have Rose's name on their helmets because there's now two players not on board with it. I'm kinda suprised Ben would be for it for all the work he does with the police all over the country.

According to Aditi Kinkbwala, over half the players didn't know about the name on the helmets, there was no vote, no majority, none of the team unity BS that was being spoon fed by the team.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
According to Aditi Kinkbwala, over half the players didn't know about the name on the helmets, there was no vote, no majority, none of the team unity BS that was being spoon fed by the team.

So we are fed lies, whoever is responsible should own their bullshit.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score

wow, that's interesting. Looks like the FO made the decision for the players. Disappointing.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
AND so the spiral continues

I'll bet the players are sick of all this bullshit going on. The MEDIA cannot be trusted, the talking heads cannot be trusted, sooner or later it's going to be hard to find anyone you can trust.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
AND so the spiral continues

I'll bet the players are sick of all this bullshit going on. The MEDIA cannot be trusted, the talking heads cannot be trusted, sooner or later it's going to be hard to find anyone you can trust.

Salute the nation

you can always trust me DIC.....

I know many are going to say Pouncey is just saying this to counter the negative feedback...but I have few doubts that most players didn't have a clue about the real story behind the name they put on the helmets and if more would actually research the cases they would come to the same decision Pouncey did....

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
you can always trust me DIC.....

I know many are going to say Pouncey is just saying this to counter the negative feedback...but I have few doubts that most players didn't have a clue about the real story behind the name they put on the helmets and if more would actually research the cases they would come to the same decision Pouncey did....

AGREED Coolie, on both counts. I think part of no one wants to be accountable thus they don't really want to know. I think people are going way overboard and NOT actually holding themselves accountable. (the lady condemning Alondra Villanova)

Salute the nation

Frosty

Reaction score
Maurkice Pouncey is going to say what he has to say no matter what, but I think he and everyone in sports 'jounalism' should just let this click-bait story die and move on to the business of football.

Writers like Madden won't let it die.

greenleader

Reaction score
pouncey sounds upset that he was essentially forced to support somebody he didn't know. I hope a lot of players wake up and start examining the motives of SJW people using them for publicity.

I'd kind of prefer they just focus on playing football. The media fuckboys are always going to try and stir up ****. I'd tell them no comment.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd kind of prefer they just focus on playing football. The media fuckboys are always going to try and stir up ****. I'd tell them no comment.

100% this. There are going to be enough obstacles for this team, they don't need another one. While I understand people want to be heard etc., they have a job to do, and the media asking them nothing but questions about personal politics are going to distract them from that job. I blame the ringleaders for another unnecessary mess/distraction ie. Chicago.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
So we are fed lies, whoever is responsible should own their bullshit.

The Captain is responsible for the ship.

Even with Social Justice, nobody knows exactly what Tomlin does.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
The Captain is responsible for the ship.

Even with Social Justice, nobody knows exactly what Tomlin does.

Is anyone sure that Tomlin made the call? Maybe it was Colbert. Maybe Rooney. Maybe some low level flunky in PR was given the task of finding a name to put on the back of the helmets to meet the NFL's mandate of a token show of support for racial equality, etc. Personally, it's not as big a story as 1-0, but it would be nice to know for a certainty who was responsible. Lacking any evidence, I'll attribute it to Tomlin, Colbert AND Rooney because nothing would have been put on the helmets without all of them being aware and OK'ing it.