• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Martavis update

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He broke the law and it's against the rules. If I smoke pot and get caught, I get fired, PERIOD. If I catch or suspect anyone smoking pot, I send them to be drug tested immediately and if positive, they're gone. Why should the rules be different for some hotshot football player?

It shouldn't, BUT, not everyone has the athletic talent to compete in the "BILLION" $$$$ buisness. He gets an exception due to that ability. That is part of the continual contributing factor of these "athletes" entitlement. I think if they were treated more down to earthly rights, maybe we get higher quality but less ability players. In order to win (equates to $$$), the team's need the best ability players available, thus the double standard.

Salute the nation

Wingman

Reaction score
Those rules regarding controlled substances will cost lots of folks a job if they are tested and fail, not just football, or government. It is illegal don't do it and you will be fine. As to parents only caring about the game of football you must be on something, and think that a village will raise your child for you.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Those rules regarding controlled substances will cost lots of folks a job if they are tested and fail, not just football, or government. It is illegal don't do it and you will be fine. As to parents only caring about the game of football you must be on something, and think that a village will raise your child for you.
No I'm on the field coaching my children. But trust me when I say this. I've seen many coaches who were pieces of ****, who were beloved by the parents of the kids, because they had a football pedigree. They didn't give a **** about play time, quality of technique, so long as their kid was coached by ex pro (fill in the blank). And from what I've heard of Bryant these were much worse human beings than that guy.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
He broke the law and it's against the rules. If I smoke pot and get caught, I get fired, PERIOD. If I catch or suspect anyone smoking pot, I send them to be drug tested immediately and if positive, they're gone. Why should the rules be different for some hotshot football player?

Not saying he should or shouldn't be fired. Some jobs will give chances and some don't. Just cause he's in football shouldn't put him any higher than any other citizen. To me personally pot really isn't a big deal. Theres a point where these guys do need to consider responsibility/maturity. His career, if he wants to smoke it away then so be it. But at least his employer can say they tried to change him for the better

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fire / not fire, it's not up to us as we aren't the one's who are trying to make the $$$$$$ off of a football team. Win vs talent vs ethical vs maturity vs accountability vs all that goes into profit and loss. How far does one go as to the degree of talent beneficerary and the all mighty dollar? Some further than others, obviously. Martavious definately has talent, but also needs work with many of the above. This isn't an arguement of legality as it is against the rules of employment. Lose that train of thought and things become more clear. It doesn't matter what you think if it should be leagal or not. MATURITY is what I think his biggest fault is. Young kid gets lotsA money and fame and everyone knows him and sky is the limit. He feels he can't do no wrong and in reality, he NOW sees he needs help (I hope). STEELERS keep him and try to help his being all the while wanting his talent to equate to $$$$ making for their football team.

Salute the nation

Wingman

Reaction score
No I'm on the field coaching my children. But trust me when I say this. I've seen many coaches who were pieces of ****, who were beloved by the parents of the kids, because they had a football pedigree. They didn't give a **** about play time, quality of technique, so long as their kid was coached by ex pro (fill in the blank). And from what I've heard of Bryant these were much worse human beings than that guy.

I am not judging Bryant, he may be a great guy that has a substance abuse problem. I coached youth football for a time as well. One of the coaches was a former quarterback who did not ultimately make it in the nfl but was a nice guy. Parents did not seem to care one way or the other about him based on his pedigree. The biggest thing he had to share with the kids that wanted to play ball was he was doing what he was doing because he did not listen and wasted his chances. He also had some other knowledge of the game but the biggest thing he stressed was making the most of your chances.

The main issue is not what should or should not be done with grass but is it against the rules. There are many other products that are on the banned list that are perfectly legal for others to use but will result in a suspension and or removal from the game if used.