• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Malkin gone?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/penguins-and-panthers-closing-in-on-blockbuster-malkin-trade?fbclid=IwAR3k-i-ufqrSKvw7EnHvcfK7LH1_Wk3rNRAK8WPkM5YypOsOQPWEqXQ9LTQ

Since the final buzzer sounded on the Pittsburgh Penguin’s 2018-19 season, there has been non-stop speculation regarding the team’s roster for 2019-20 with talks surrounding star forward Evgeni Malkin.

While chatter has also involved his teammate Phil Kessel, it seems like we are getting closer to a blockbuster trade involving the Russian forward.

According to the Montreal blog Dans Les Coulisses, who has close ties with Florida Panthers’ Jonathan Huberdeau, a major deal is in the works to ship Malkin down south.

Dans Les Coulisses reports (translated from the French tweet below) that a source closed to the situation has revealed that the Penguins and Panthers are discussing the possibility of a trade involving Malkin, Huberdeau and a first-round pick.

It is noted that there will be more to come on that potential move.

DansLesCoulisses

@DLCoulisses
EXCLUSIF :Une (bonne) source me mentionne qu'il y aurait actuellement d'importantes négociations entre les Panthers et les Penguins. Huberdeau, Malkin et un choix de 1ere ronde feraient notamment partie ses discussions. À suivre.

5:30 PM - Jun 4, 2019

It is no secret the Panthers have been looking to become a contender by making bold moves this offseason. They have been reported as a top candidate in signing coveted free agent Artemi Panarin this summer.

Adding Malkin would also be a game-changer for the Panthers, who can attract more star players now that legendary head coach Joel Quenneville is behind their bench.

Malkin, of course, has a full no-trade and no-movement clause in his contract, so any potential deal would be up to him to approve or deny. Howvever, playing for a new contender under the sun in a non-tax state might be something to consider for the veteran forward.

To be continued as they say…

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s the rumor that’s been circulating for awhile.
I won’t hold my breathe on it until it’s official.

If so, he and his wife do love to vacation in Miami, so would be a good fit from an “ethic” stand point.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
So much smoke around Malkin after the JR wouldn't confirm his long term status during locker clean out. I don't think we'll see much more unless Panarin signs in Florida. If that happens all bets are off. Also read Trocheck as part of the deal in place of Huberdeau. Less than 2 weeks until the draft........

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I'll believe it when I see it but he needs a change of scenery. Far too many miscues for someone of his skill level. No doubt that if he is traded, he'll light up the Pens like a pinball machine when he squares off against them, and we'll wonder where that talent has been hiding.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I've said before that Malkin isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Panarin, Florida and Florida taxes could be a motivator. Either get him some solid wingers or encourage him to go.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I would take Trocheck. If Malkin has to go, I would rather have Trocheck than Huberdeau.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I would take Trocheck. If Malkin has to go, I would rather have Trocheck than Huberdeau.

Honestly I would take either one as long as their first round pick was attached. Malkin is still worth a sizeable return. This team needs a breakup of some of the entitled culture.

Reactions: JMM

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
There are a lot of overpaid guys on this team that don't produce and while Malkin had a down season, he is still a guy who can help this team win. I'm with Coryea, you don't trade a legacy player like that. Also considering Rutherford seems to lost any vision on how to build a team, I don't exactly trust him making any big moves right now.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
He had one bad season, and still averaged a point per game, you just don't toss a legacy player like him aside.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

I agree and would like to see him retire a Penguin....but he isn't getting younger. The team has a culture problem. Just like Kessel, I don't think old dogs are going to learn new tricks. The Penguin's need to change, as Malkin said " they are not champions anymore".

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree and would like to see him retire a Penguin....but he isn't getting younger. The team has a culture problem. Just like Kessel, I don't think old dogs are going to learn new tricks. The Penguin's need to change, as Malkin said " they are not champions anymore".

I think that Kessel is probably more of a culture issue than Malkin is.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
There are a lot of overpaid guys on this team that don't produce and while Malkin had a down season, he is still a guy who can help this team win. I'm with Coryea, you don't trade a legacy player like that. Also considering Rutherford seems to lost any vision on how to build a team, I don't exactly trust him making any big moves right now.

That and there seems to be a total disconnect between Rutherford and Sullivan, Rutherford seems to bring in guys that don't fit Sullivan's system.

While everyone is screaming to get rid of Malkin, he did out produce Sid in the playoffs this season. Letang played horrible in the playoffs, he needs to learn to pick his spots more, I mean if he wants to play offense, then make him a winger.

Trade Kessel, find a winger for Malkin that has speed and plays 200 ft. We've been trying to find a winger for Sid since we drafted him, let's not forget Malkin was always given the left overs that Sid didn't like playing with. Neal, Phil, Malone, Satan, Sykora, even Staal as a rookie played wing on Malkin's line. It may be time to find a legit winger that fits with Malkin.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I think that Kessel is probably more of a culture issue than Malkin is.

Kessel has worn out his welcome everywhere he has been. I think his time here has run out. I wanted him moved at the trade deadline last year. The damn problem is his limited move contract.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
That and there seems to be a total disconnect between Rutherford and Sullivan, Rutherford seems to bring in guys that don't fit Sullivan's system.

While everyone is screaming to get rid of Malkin, he did out produce Sid in the playoffs this season. Letang played horrible in the playoffs, he needs to learn to pick his spots more, I mean if he wants to play offense, then make him a winger.

Trade Kessel, find a winger for Malkin that has speed and plays 200 ft. We've been trying to find a winger for Sid since we drafted him, let's not forget Malkin was always given the left overs that Sid didn't like playing with. Neal, Phil, Malone, Satan, Sykora, even Staal as a rookie played wing on Malkin's line. It may be time to find a legit winger that fits with Malkin.

I'm not screaming to dump Malkin. Hell, the guy has a charity suite as part of his contact. The thing is he has value. Far more so than Kessel. The Pens need to get younger and tougher to play against.

I don't have a problem with Letang being moved either. He has always made bad decisions. He also still has value. Out of Malkin, Kessel and Letang, I'd like to see 2 of the 3 moved. It's all about what the return is.

As for the coaching/management pieces. I think there was a reason that Craig Patrick was brought back late last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I'm not screaming to dump Malkin. Hell, the guy has a charity suite as part of his contact. The thing is he has value. Far more so than Kessel. The Pens need to get younger and tougher to play against.

I don't have a problem with Letang being moved either. He has always made bad decisions. He also still has value. Out of Malkin, Kessel and Letang, I'd like to see 2 of the 3 moved. It's all about what the return is.

As for the coaching/management pieces. I think there was a reason that Craig Patrick was brought back late last year.

I have to agree with UB. Need to trade something of value to get something.of value. Malkin and Kessel disapeared in the playoffs the year before as well so their relative down turn started awhile ago. The treads on those tires are starting to get bare and they are not going to get any better.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I have to agree with UB. Need to trade something of value to get something.of value. Malkin and Kessel disapeared in the playoffs the year before as well so their relative down turn started awhile ago. The treads on those tires are starting to get bare and they are not going to get any better.

Malkin has averaged a point per game over the past two playoffs, in 17/18 he had 98 points in 78 games. Malkin has a no trade clause to begin with, the power play sucks when Malkin is out, and Sid rarely plays great without Malkin. Malkin is still extremely skilled, it would be alot easier to try to build a line around him, rather then getting rid of him. You're going to lose any trade with Malkin when it comes to pure player vs player involved in a deal. I build a line around Malkin, rather than trade him, Sid isn't getting any younger either, so having Malkin helps take some pressure off of him as well.
I love Letang, but he was the biggest reason they lost to NY and they won the cup without him, he'd be the one I'd try to move.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I think the biggest reason the Pens got swept was that they didn't score goals. They scored 3 in Game 1 and only one in each of the remaining games. Six goals in 4 games won't win a round one series. Offensive turnovers killed the Pens all year. Our defense has problems but if you reduce the neutral zone brain farts they don't have to be that good. Malkin and Kessel coughed it up all year, Letang had issues as well. Point being, in the team's current configuration, they aren't great anymore.

I hate to see the core broken up but if the Pens keep doing what their doing, I don't really see a different result. The weakness of the Pens (for many years) is the desire to win in the regular season. They don't win Metro all that often. Had they paved an easier playoff road, there might have been a few more cups.

A retool is possible without moving the big names. It won't be a great one because there is little cap space. You can't pull in better players without the $.Keep in mind that Pettersson, ZAR and Blueger are Restricted Free Agents and will be looking for raises this year. Next year Murray and Mcann are RFA, Schults is Unrestricted. Not a great position to be in. All this goes to GMJR to make the right decisions. I don't trust him. He has proven to be a great short term GM. All you have to do is look at his tenure with Carolins and the Pens at this point.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Kessel is the first and only significant piece they should be looking to move at this point. He's the guy who had a shelf limit with the team and it'd be better to trade him a year too early rather than a year too late.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason the Pens got swept was that they didn't score goals. They scored 3 in Game 1 and only one in each of the remaining games. Six goals in 4 games won't win a round one series. Offensive turnovers killed the Pens all year. Our defense has problems but if you reduce the neutral zone brain farts they don't have to be that good. Malkin and Kessel coughed it up all year, Letang had issues as well. Point being, in the team's current configuration, they aren't great anymore.

I hate to see the core broken up but if the Pens keep doing what their doing, I don't really see a different result. The weakness of the Pens (for many years) is the desire to win in the regular season. They don't win Metro all that often. Had they paved an easier playoff road, there might have been a few more cups.

A retool is possible without moving the big names. It won't be a great one because there is little cap space. You can't pull in better players without the $.Keep in mind that Pettersson, ZAR and Blueger are Restricted Free Agents and will be looking for raises this year. Next year Murray and Mcann are RFA, Schults is Unrestricted. Not a great position to be in. All this goes to GMJR to make the right decisions. I don't trust him. He has proven to be a great short term GM. All you have to do is look at his tenure with Carolins and the Pens at this point.

Pay Pettersson, ZAR, Mcann. Schultz I'm ambivelant about. Blueger, too.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Pay Pettersson, ZAR, Mcann. Schultz I'm ambivelant about. Blueger, too.

I'm liking Blueger more. He showed well at Worlds. I'm thinking a bridge deal around $800K. Some predictions have Pettersson getting $2.25M, I'd like to see less. ZAR, I have no idea. I think he is replaceable but his advanced stats are off the chart when playing with Malkin. At $5.5M Schultz is a big question mark. We don't have much from last year to look at.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm liking Blueger more. He showed well at Worlds. I'm thinking a bridge deal around $800K. Some predictions have Pettersson getting $2.25M, I'd like to see less. ZAR, I have no idea. I think he is replaceable but his advanced stats are off the chart when playing with Malkin. At $5.5M Schultz is a big question mark. We don't have much from last year to look at.

The problem with showing well at Worlds is that the scheme here is not the on there. It drives me nuts to see a guy excel somewhere, then come to our team (any team) and have a scheme or pairing that won't highlight his strengths. This is where our GM falls down IMO. It's not just a talent question, but a situational question. This includes pairing, scheme, etc., AND talent.

(For the record, this is Tomlin's failing too, mostly evident at DB. Burns has the talent, IMO, but our scheme and our lack of teaching skills is his problem. I bet he goes somewhere and does alright to pretty darn well.)

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
The problem with showing well at Worlds is that the scheme here is not the on there. It drives me nuts to see a guy excel somewhere, then come to our team (any team) and have a scheme or pairing that won't highlight his strengths. This is where our GM falls down IMO. It's not just a talent question, but a situational question. This includes pairing, scheme, etc., AND talent.

(For the record, this is Tomlin's failing too, mostly evident at DB. Burns has the talent, IMO, but our scheme and our lack of teaching skills is his problem. I bet he goes somewhere and does alright to pretty darn well.)

I see your point here. I guess the same can be said of Hornqvist's performance at World's as well. Tomlin, there is a reason I don't comment much on the Steelers. Tomlin baffles people with bullshit and Sully is headed in the same direction. Hell, I even agree with you on Burns.