• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Making the Leap: Steelers fielding title-caliber defense

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817780/article/making-the-leap-pittsburgh-steelers-defense

Heading toward training camp, football fiends thirst for breakout potential. Who or what is the next big thing in football? In Around The NFL's "Making the Leap" series, we spotlight emerging players and units to keep an eye on in 2017.

Mike Tomlin has been waiting for this defense, his defense, for a decade.

Two years removed from legendary Steelers coordinator Dick LeBeau's exit, Tomlin is running a scheme in Pittsburgh closer to the one that helped build his reputation as a coaching prodigy. Unsung Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has constructed a foundation of defensive players entering their primes who combine explosiveness and continuity, led by front-seven disrupters Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Ryan Shazier and Bud Dupree. Three promising defenders from last year's rookie crop look ready to take the next step. Pittsburgh's offense possesses an unfair amount of talent, taking pressure off the defense.

If Tomlin doesn't deliver a return to Steelers defensive dominance now, it's never going to happen.

A strong core
Tomlin has identified his guys. The same 11 Steelers defenders barely left the field during two playoff victories last season, largely because they stopped drives by the Dolphins and Chiefs so quickly. Ten of those 11 players are back this season, with the exception being linebacker Lawrence Timmons, a veteran whose departure was telling.

Colbert previously made mistakes by holding on to Steelers stalwarts too long. Timmons was a great contributor for a decade, but keeping him would have slowed down an otherwise-speedy linebacker group. Not to mention, Timmons' old position as an every-down inside linebacker might no longer exist in Tomlin's vision.

This is not your drunk uncle's Steelers 3-4 defense. Tomlin and defensive coordinator Keith Butler mix up their alignments like most of the rest of the NFL, playing with four down linemen often (depending on the opponent's strength). The secondary incorporates more of the Cover 3 and Cover 2 zone-defense looks Tomlin grew up with. He's able to get more creative up front because his foundation players are so versatile.

The Steelers were a different defense after outside linebacker Bud Dupree returned from a sports hernia surgery in Week 12. Dupree picked up sacks lining up from three different positions and had a surprisingly big role in coverage.

Tomlin asks Steelers inside linebacker Ryan Shazier to similarly wear a number of hats. "Shoot the Gap: The Ryan Shazier Story" is a tale of a young man finding himself by attacking running plays with blinding confidence. It is breathtaking when Shazier takes over a game, like when he knocked Buffalo's No. 1 rushing attack backwards almost on his own. There aren't many humans who cross the line of scrimmage, then drop back into coverage on the same play before stealing a pass from a bewildered quarterback, like Shazier did against Matt Moore in the playoffs:

Shazier is an All-Pro waiting to happen, a player on the cusp who has yet to put it all together in one season. The same is true of so many Steelers defenders. Nose tackle Javon Hargrave was a beast down the stretch as a rookie, beating double-teams and showing surprising pass-rush savvy. Stephon Tuitt, only 24 years old like Shazier, can play inside or out depending on the formation. Tuitt was Pittsburgh's best overall defender last season, a title that 28-year-old Cameron Heyward held in 2015. (A torn pectoral muscle ended Heyward's season in Week 10 of last year.)

This trend of losing crucial players like Heyward is just one of the things Tomlin has to worry about ...

Pittsburgh's biggest obstacles
The Steelers have struggled to get all their best defenders on the field at once. Whether the group is injury-prone or unlucky, the key pieces have all missed significant time over the last two seasons. It is beyond preposterous that the most durable, most reliable Steeler on this side of the ball is James Harrison -- the last defensive remnant of the Bill Cowher era in Pittsburgh.

Harrison is a walking folk tale, a man worthy of the legacy of his larger-than-life Steelers forefathers. Now 39 years old, Harrison was the single biggest reason Pittsburgh was so tough to run against down the stretch last season. (Not counting Week 17, when Pittsburgh rested its starters, the defense held opponents under 80 yards rushing in six of its final seven games -- that included three playoff games where the Steelers gave up just 170 ground yards combined.) Harrison's performance in Pittsburgh's AFC wild-card win over Miami ranked among the best single-game efforts by any NFL defender a season ago.

Counting on Harrison to play at that level again is asking too much, so the Steelers drafted Wisconsin outside linebacker T.J. Watt in the first round. For all this unit's talent, there is some risk Pittsburgh doesn't have enough edge rushers.

The pass rush needs to excel to take pressure off an untested secondary. The team found instant, valuable snaps for 2016 rookies Artie Burns and Sean Davis a year ago. These two picks, along with 2017 third-rounder Cameron Sutton, show Tomlin putting a greater stamp on his defense. Tomlin spent his first five NFL seasons as a defensive backs coach and is looking to recapture his old magic with this group.

Davis showed toughness playing through a torn labrum and intelligence handling a variety of roles as a rookie safety. He made his biggest impact crashing down near the line of scrimmage, showing a heady feel for the game. Burns was not as raw as his reputation suggested. He competed well and has the size and athleticism to hold up if the Steelers mix in more man coverage this season. Tomlin's reliance on his zone defense came back to haunt him in Foxborough last January.

This is generally a young Steelers secondary -- with elder statesmen, like Mike Mitchell and William Gay, who make their share of mistakes. Will Pittsburgh be ready to handle the deepest Patriots receiver group yet when the teams face off on Dec. 17 or in the seemingly-inevitable AFC playoff game to follow?

The looming Patriots problem is why this Pittsburgh team may be strangely under-hyped. This 53-man roster rivals any that Tomlin has coached, yet the typically chatty Steelers fans appear to have a defeatist attitude when it comes to Belichick and Brady.

Those fans should take solace in the reality that it only takes one game to flip a one-sided rivalry; just ask Peyton Manning and the 2006 Indianapolis Colts. Dismissing this Steelers team's chance is disrespectful to Ben Roethlisberger's ability and to what Tomlin is building with this defense.

Tomlin's time

Back in 2007, Tomlin was mature and confident enough to retain Dick LeBeau to run the defense. The team responded by ranking in the top two in points allowed in four of the next five seasons, but the decision delayed Tomlin's development of his own set of Steelers defensive stars. After half a decade of regrouping on defense, Tomlin and Colbert have the recipe to make this team balanced again.

Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, Shazier and Dupree form the rarest of NFL assets in this free agency era: A talented, versatile group of guys who can come of age together. A third Super Bowl appearance for Tomlin is within reach, this time with a defense he molded from Day 1

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
We will need rookie contributions like last year.

If they can get Sutton, TJ, and Juju being productive in whatever roles they are given.

And injuries aren't significant late.

And the coaches learn from their mistakes. Good things.

I don;t want to say mission impossible. But mission difficult could be labeled, Ethan.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
There is a chance the defense could be good, but for that to happen we need the following.

1 ) The coaches playing more aggressively vs the better QB's
2 ) The quick development of Watt and Sutton.
3 ) Heyward, Dupree and Shazier need stay healthy. I think Hayward is durable. The other two, not so much.
4 ) The conuntied development of Davis ( who I did not know played hurt last year ) and Burns.

It can happen.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the lack of a replacement for Timmons is going to hurt us. Granted, we may play in a sub package more than a 3-4 base. Williams will be a liability in pass coverage plays. He's a solid run defender.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the lack of a replacement for Timmons is going to hurt us. Granted, we may play in a sub package more than a 3-4 base. Williams will be a liability in pass coverage plays. He's a solid run defender.

My probable is is Williams gets stuck on the field during a no-huddle situation.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
from reading this board the past couple years, it's a ******* blessing that we do not have Timmons any more.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a chance the defense could be good, but for that to happen we need the following.

1 ) The coaches playing more aggressively vs the better QB's
2 ) The quick development of Watt and Sutton.
3 ) Heyward, Dupree and Shazier need stay healthy. I think Hayward is durable. The other two, not so much.
4 ) The conuntied development of Davis ( who I did not know played hurt last year ) and Burns.

It can happen.

I personally think this is our biggest obstacle on your list.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Ok, so this year it will officially be Tomlin's defense. No remnants from the past. Fair enough. Lets see what he's got.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so this year it will officially be Tomlin's defense. No remnants from the past. Fair enough. Lets see what he's got.

I hear what your saying..........what about DEBO.....??? J/K

Super Bowl bound

Salute the nation

Stoney

Reaction score
I just don't see where this defense improved over last year's team....

In the meantime, their nemesis' offense has greatly improved. If we couldn't cover a lacrosse player last season, how're we going to cover him AND Cooks this season? This article is nonsense.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I just don't see where this defense improved over last year's team....

In the meantime, their nemesis' offense has greatly improved. If we couldn't cover a lacrosse player last season, how're we going to cover him AND Cooks this season? This article is nonsense.

Thing is Steelers are a improve through the draft team, the cheats are a improve through free agency and being sneakier stealing signals.

We can argue the pass rush and second WR was the Steelers biggest downfall last year outside of coverage units on D.

The Steelers took steps to improve those weaknesses.

You might not see that improvement so much early out of the gates.

But I think once the rookies get their feet wet, and Bryant's return if he stays Mary Jane-less.... you will see improvement in the pass rush and at WR with Juju and Bryant producing.

I think out of the three areas I mentioned that two will look better. and if you improve your pass rush (Dupree's continued improvement plus add in TJ Watt) That will help the secondary. And they brought in a S and a CB and drafted two CBs. If one can help improve the coverage units perhaps then good things.

Yeah you might not "see" it right away. But if all goes right and not too many injuries you might see it later on as they push towards a playoff run.

Like every other team

it is a wait and

see.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is Steelers are a improve through the draft team, the cheats are a improve through free agency and being sneakier stealing signals.

We can argue the pass rush and second WR was the Steelers biggest downfall last year outside of coverage units on D.

The Steelers took steps to improve those weaknesses.

You might not see that improvement so much early out of the gates.

But I think once the rookies get their feet wet, and Bryant's return if he stays Mary Jane-less.... you will see improvement in the pass rush and at WR with Juju and Bryant producing.

I think out of the three areas I mentioned that two will look better. and if you improve your pass rush (Dupree's continued improvement plus add in TJ Watt) That will help the secondary. And they brought in a S and a CB and drafted two CBs. If one can help improve the coverage units perhaps then good things.

Yeah you might not "see" it right away. But if all goes right and not too many injuries you might see it later on as they push towards a playoff run.

Like every other team

it is a wait and

see.

Well maybe we will TRY some man coverage early on in the season. Get our guys doing it. Weird thing is Burns stated he feels most comfortable playing man....our coaches stated we didn't have the personnel to play it. Something doesn't add up. The Pats game was one of the worse coached games I have EVER seen. Our players were not prepared at all. To be fair the Pats did have a day and a half head start on us.

ark steel

Reaction score
I just don't see where this defense improved over last year's team.....

Really? You think Burns and Davis wont be better with another offseason? YOu think TJWatt <= Jarvis? Hayward was missing part of the season. The only piece that got worse was 1 ILB spot. That may very well prove telling on passing downs. Overall, I don't see how anyone could consider that the D is not better than last year. That ****** D which was in the top 10 in many defensive categories...

ark steel

Reaction score
Well maybe we will TRY some man coverage early on in the season. Get our guys doing it. Weird thing is Burns stated he feels most comfortable playing man....our coaches stated we didn't have the personnel to play it. Something doesn't add up. The Pats game was one of the worse coached games I have EVER seen. Our players were not prepared at all. To be fair the Pats did have a day and a half head start on us.

Well, that and cheating...

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Really? You think Burns and Davis wont be better with another offseason? YOu think TJWatt <= Jarvis? Hayward was missing part of the season. The only piece that got worse was 1 ILB spot. That may very well prove telling on passing downs. Overall, I don't see how anyone could consider that the D is not better than last year. That ****** D which was in the top 10 in many defensive categories...

I don't think Williams will be in on passing downs. just my opinion.

ark steel

Reaction score
I don't think Williams will be in on passing downs. just my opinion.

Well, theoretically, but see post #6. You are the opposing QB/Coach. Do you give the Steelers enough time to get Williams off of the field and replaced on a passing down or do you go no huddle and audible the play?

While, sometimes, the O will substitute, they have to give the D the same opportunity. Therefore, whether Vince is in on passing downs may not be a choice that gets made by us.

GarrettG

Reaction score

Not to mention, I don't think it is out of line to expect a real leap from Dupree this season -- no position coaching in college so came in very raw. Pretty freaky athlete. Missed much of last season, but came back playing much faster and impacting more than expected (hell, hitting with a nastiness reminiscent of Greg Lloyd at times). Now, entering his third year with presumably a full offseason of activity - the game should really start to slow down for him. Yeah, I like the odds here in terms of an explosion waiting to happen.

ark steel

Reaction score
Not to mention, I don't think it is out of line to expect a real leap from Dupree this season -- no position coaching in college so came in very raw. Pretty freaky athlete. Missed much of last season, but came back playing much faster and impacting more than expected (hell, hitting with a nastiness reminiscent of Greg Lloyd at times). Now, entering his third year with presumably a full offseason of activity - the game should really start to slow down for him. Yeah, I like the odds here in terms of an explosion waiting to happen.

That is a good point. Dupree played in 6 games last year and had 4.5 sacks. Not unrealistic to expect him to approach or pass 10 sacks in a full season. Everyone who got 1 or more sacks is still on the team except for Timmons, Jarvis and, maybe, Matthews?

So, do you expect TJ to exceed Jarvis' 1 sack from last year? I would.

We were 9th in sacks last year with 38, which was 4 behind Den and Seattle at 42. Can Bud and TJ get those 4 extra sacks and make up for the 4.5 missing from Timmons/Jarvis/Matthews? Barring injury, seems very realistic to be in the top 5 for sacks for next season.

GarrettG

Reaction score
It seems really early to try to assess what kind of impact Watt will have as a rookie but I can't help but think his rookie floor is higher than Jarvis' veteran ceiling. I would expect the combination of (1) Watt's own contributions in terms of sacks and pressures and (2) keeping Harrison fresher on limited snaps (if the coaching staff has full confidence in giving Watt a high number on snaps) will help give the Steelers a more consistent pass rush from that side. That, combined with the expected leap from Dupree could lead to great things, top-5 in sacks among them.

Maybe I'm just wearing rose colored glasses today, but am I the only one that also expects an improvement in our interior pass rush from Hargrave now with a year experience under his belt? Improvement from both the edges and the interior...not out of the question.

Understanding that there are still deficiencies in the secondary, there seems to be a lot of upside potential with this defense overall, and I think it could be realized sooner rather than later.