• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Luke Kuechly retires

steelhurt

Reaction score
Luke said the only way to play is fast,physical and strong and didn’t feel he could do that any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
His wife is very smart. Studied Biology, Chemistry. Very interested in the medical profession and field. She could be having a big part of this decision. Both devout Catholics, probably planning a big family (she's one of six, he's one of three). They've been together for a while so it's not like he spent his money being single and dumb or on posses of friends.

He's made something like $60-$70 million in career earnings. Plenty enough to retire forever.

As always, it will be interesting to see how he replaces that competitiveness and rush you get being a pro athlete.

I think he still gets into the Hall of Fame. He was that good. Top-3 in linebackers almost from the moment he came into the league and never let up. Every year was consistent.
The gubmint takes half of that, FYI. Also have to point out around 10% of it went to an agent and I'm sure he had union dues come out of there as well.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Some say it’s about quality of life in a players later years. While this can be true I think the huge contracts make it easier for an early retirement these days. 30 years ago this was not the case.

Luke probably would have made the pro football hall of fame if he played 2 more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelmann

Reaction score
He should be ok financially. The "80% of football players are broke" thing is overstated because they're counting "cup of coffee" guys among the numbers. Of course low round/free agent guys who only stick for a year or two aren't going to have much of the money in 5 years. These guys skew the numbers. I'd like to see how many guys that earn a second contract end up broke. That would be a true reflection of what percentage of players squander their money, as any player who lasts long enough to get a second contract will have made enough money to last a lifetime if they have common sense.

Not mentioned in the “broke” stats is the big D. I would love to see the statistics of well paid athletes who get Divorced within a few years after retirement of their pro career. I bet it is staggering. She walks away with half while you were at your top earning years. Not to mention the kids,child support,alimony. You would have to be a fool to be married as a top athlete under 35. Or at the very least an iron clad prenuptial. Life’s a *****.........bet that expression was coined by a pro athlete.