• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Long-Term Deal Advantageous For Both Villanueva, Steelers

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Follow the entire story here --->
http://www.steelernation.com/long-term-deal-advantageous-villanueva-steelers/

The time is now for the Pittsburgh Steelers and left tackle Alejandro Villanueva to agree to terms to a long-term contract, ensuring the blindside protection of the franchise’s most valuable asset — quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Villanueva has traveled an interesting and inspiring road to the starting lineup of a solid Steelers’ offensive line.

The son of a Lieutenant Commander in the Spanish Navy, Villanueva started 24 of the 28 games he played in at Army (2006-09). He saw action at left tackle, the defensive line and even wide receiver. After serving three tours in Afghanistan as an active member of the U.S. Army from 2010-13, Villanueva returned to the gridiron in 2014. He joined Pittsburgh’s practice squad after he was signed and released as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Almost like the Steelers are dragging their feet with these last three contracts, either that or I am just inpatient.

C'mon Steelers let's get to it !

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I want this guy to get a new contract over just about anyone. A ton of respect for Big Al.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
AND......... He has shown improvement as his playing time lengthens... SIGN him and Ben plays another couple years.

Salute the nation

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
They need to get something done soon. I don't know if they're waiting for Bell to sign or what.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
They need to get something done soon. I don't know if they're waiting for Bell to sign or what.

I think they will, they just need to figure out the salary cap issues. It's not like they're the Pats**** where it doesn't matter.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I think they will, they just need to figure out the salary cap issues. It's not like they're the Pats**** where it doesn't matter.

Well the pats have heavy inside intelligence on teams. That's been pretty clear for a long time. They keep beating people with scrubs. Those amazing halftime adjustments my ***.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Restructure somebody and use the money to sign this guy. Come on FO do your job.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Restructure somebody and use the money to sign this guy. Come on FO do your job.

Restructure? Aren't we $16 mill plus under the cap now....with the cap rising drastically every year?

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
They still have over a month to get something done and if they don't and he plays out his measly little 600K option, it will cost them big time next year fur shur when he hits FA.

My money is on a deal right before camp.

They got the money but Bell is gunna be expensive, it only makes sense to get him settled first.

Last edited:

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
They still have over a month to get something done and if they don't and he plays out his measly little 600K option, it will cost them big time next year fur shur when he hits FA.

My money is on a deal right before camp.

They got the money but Bell is gunna be expensive, it only makes sense to get him settled first.

You're right. They're probably waiting until they have committed to Bell. But they'd better git er done soon. I want them to get the big guy wrapped up.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Where did you find this Ashcraft writer guy Justin?

Good first article. Get him crankin' out a couple per week!!

And just sign Big Al!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Or pay kick-backs to their QB's buisness.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Bell's tag is already counting, a new contract won't go over what he is already accounted for.
Villanueva on a 4 years 6,5M per year contract would be great for both sides, that's very similar to what Gilbert got three years ago. The difference is that Gilbert was two years younger but the cap has gone up, so one thing balances the other.

such salary would put him as the 17th best salary for left tackles, that's fair given his age and contract situation

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Where did you find this Ashcraft writer guy Justin?

Good first article. Get him crankin' out a couple per week!!

And just sign Big Al!

One of my best friends. He's a professional in the PR business for Ohio U. From Latrobe. He posts on here as IronMike52

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Almost like the Steelers are dragging their feet with these last three contracts, either that or I am just inpatient.

C'mon Steelers let's get to it !

When you have players with top ability that get suspended or hurt often ( Bell, Bryant ) it makes this complicated.

Villanueva is good, not great. The players around the OL, and our coach Munchak are fantastic. But when they leave ( Beachum , Colon ) they don't seem to play as well.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
When you have players with top ability that get suspended or hurt often ( Bell, Bryant ) it makes this complicated.

Villanueva is good, not great. The players around the OL, and our coach Munchak are fantastic. But when they leave ( Beachum , Colon ) they don't seem to play as well.

Colon never was more than an average Joe even as a steeler

deljzc

Reaction score
He's a tough contract to "slot" in the offense. Since he bounced around the league for so long before developing into a starter, they are very tough to judge the correct value (and try to estimate what he would get in free agency for instance). In a lot of ways his story is very similar to James Harrison, who was another player that was very difficult to guess his correct contract because his career was so unprecedented.

If I was to guess, I would say going to slot below DeCastro and Pouncey and will probably be close to what we gave his fellow tackle, Marcus Gilbert.

As far as Bell, there is no rush on the Steelers with that one. I think they are probably pretty far apart and it's going to be a tough negotiation. Both sides feel somewhat emboldened in their positions I bet. The Steelers could even franchise tag him again if they had too. It wouldn't break the bank to keep doing that considering how the cap keeps going up but the franchise tag on running backs has kind of flat lined.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
He's a tough contract to "slot" in the offense. Since he bounced around the league for so long before developing into a starter, they are very tough to judge the correct value (and try to estimate what he would get in free agency for instance). In a lot of ways his story is very similar to James Harrison, who was another player that was very difficult to guess his correct contract because his career was so unprecedented.

If I was to guess, I would say going to slot below DeCastro and Pouncey and will probably be close to what we gave his fellow tackle, Marcus Gilbert.

As far as Bell, there is no rush on the Steelers with that one. I think they are probably pretty far apart and it's going to be a tough negotiation. Both sides feel somewhat emboldened in their positions I bet. The Steelers could even franchise tag him again if they had too. It wouldn't break the bank to keep doing that considering how the cap keeps going up but the franchise tag on running backs has kind of flat lined.

If they tag Bell again next year they have to pay him 20% more then they would this year. I don't see them doing that. When Mr. Rooney says he wants to do something then it usually gets done. He said he wanted to sign Bell to a long term contract. It'll get done. Its beneficial to both sides to get the deal done.

bmoritz

Reaction score

Seriously, I'd REALLY like to know where the Pats are getting all this cap space to sign everybody and their brother. Something is simply not adding up here.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, I'd REALLY like to know where the Pats are getting all this cap space to sign everybody and their brother. Something is simply not adding up here.

They don't pay anyone big money. Brady has a low cap hit cause they funnel him money thru his business.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Del,

I'd think Villa's contract will be slotted similar to Beechum's from JAX. He was a 7th rounder, and worked his way up the ranks to be a solid, above the line, starter. His health is probably the only reason why he wasn't given the big payday this year by JAX and is now a JET.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
They don't pay anyone big money. Brady has a low cap hit cause they funnel him money thru his business.

I still think that Kraft has briefcases full of cash delivered to players' houses.