• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

LOL, anyone listening to the fan, Kordell apologists will like this.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Stewart was great at first and then I learned that he was not a very accurate passer, ever. What was so frustrating is that took the Steelers so damn long to accept it.

Reactions: wig

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Kordell had benefits, namely teams had to spy him hard, so if they rolled him one way and ran bettis opposite to that direction it kept defenses off balanced and Bettis was too much of a load for them to deal with him like that... once Kordell made up his mind that he was going to be a pure pocket passer it was over... he tried to force passes by gunning them at 100 miles an hour to cut down on picks and they would get tipped up for picks anyhow. he was a fantastic practice player... when the pressure was off he could make all the throws and reads... gametime he just withered though

Troglodyte

Reaction score
All I know is that if Bryant smokes his way out of the league, they better retire that #10 jersey asap. Future players careers depends on it

I wonder if Roy Gerilla was a stoner?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Since Gerela in 78 here are the #10's for the steelers...

Scott Campbell, who makes the list of "QBs that were far worse than Kordell"
John Bruno, A scab player who died of cancer at the age of 27
Kordell Stewart, Polorizing, errattic, headcase of a QB
Santonio Holmes, who won a superbowl MVP then assholed his way out of town
Dennis Dixon, a backup who never reached his potential,
Martavis Bryant- Already Pot Busted multiple times in his second season....

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I also find it hilarious that the steelers have been around since the 30's and its hard to make a top ten QB list for them without Kordell on it... heck its hard to make a top 5 without him or Odonnel on it... top 10 lists tend to bring out names like Brister and Tomczak... ugh

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
WOW!!! I've been a longtime reader of this board to include the old one and this is the biggest " Kordell lovefest" I've seen in a while. Too funny!!!!!

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I also find it hilarious that the steelers have been around since the 30's and its hard to make a top ten QB list for them without Kordell on it... heck its hard to make a top 5 without him or Odonnel on it... top 10 lists tend to bring out names like Brister and Tomczak... ugh

I don't think it's all that out of the ordinary.

Packers have been around longer... and really, beyond Favre and Starr -- who stands out over the history of the team? Aaron Rodgers fits the list, but is still building his legacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Bay_Packers_starting_quarterbacks

From that list, I can actually say I've heard the names Tobin Rote and Lynn Dickey -- but couldn't tell you a damn thing about them.

It really does prove the point that franchise QBs are really hard to come by.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
1997 He had a qb rating of 75 and completed 53% of his passes
2001 he had a qb rating of 81 and completed 61% of his passes.

so even his best two seasons he wasnt upper echelon, let alone four or five like Andrew Fillaponi suggested.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
1997 He had a qb rating of 75 and completed 53% of his passes
2001 he had a qb rating of 81 and completed 61% of his passes.

so even his best two seasons he wasnt upper echelon, let alone four or five like Andrew Fillaponi suggested.

Clearly Fillaponi was talking out of his ***, but 1997 was his first year as a starter (and the game was different then) so I'd still say he had a strong season for a guy seeing his first real action at QB. He made a ton of plays with his feet as well.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I don't think it's all that out of the ordinary.

Packers have been around longer... and really, beyond Favre and Starr -- who stands out over the history of the team? Aaron Rodgers fits the list, but is still building his legacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Bay_Packers_starting_quarterbacks

From that list, I can actually say I've heard the names Tobin Rote and Lynn Dickey -- but couldn't tell you a damn thing about them.

It really does prove the point that franchise QBs are really hard to come by.

Name a good/great Bears QB over the past 50 years??? Even their Super Bowl-winning QB was more of a flash in the pan.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
I never want a quarterback whose highlight reel has 80% of its plays that were improvised. Those guys don't win titles. They will win games, but not titles.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score

well we could replace them with names like Dawson and Unitas...but they I guess weren't good enough to make it in Pittsburgh

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I never want a quarterback whose highlight reel has 80% of its plays that were improvised. Those guys don't win titles. They will win games, but not titles.

What about Rothlesburgher? He had a lot of improvisation happening.....................................

Salute the nation

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Clearly Fillaponi was talking out of his ***, but 1997 was his first year as a starter (and the game was different then) so I'd still say he had a strong season for a guy seeing his first real action at QB. He made a ton of plays with his feet as well.

I think he had 11 rushing TD's that season I believe and that's not used for QB rating, so he was dangerous, but it seemed like after that season everyone had tape on him and he never got better as a passer.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I think he had 11 rushing TD's that season I believe and that's not used for QB rating, so he was dangerous, but it seemed like after that season everyone had tape on him and he never got better as a passer.

He went from Chan Gailey to Ray Sherman (and then Gilbride) as his offensive coordinator. Whatever chance he had to get better (maybe that chance was zero but who knows) went right out the window. But it doesn't seem all that much different than RGIII or Kaepernick --- although both of those guys are probably better pure throwers than Kordell --- success in the short-term can come based on athleticism, improvised plays and a dumbed-down playbook but it's probably a mirage because being a pocket QB who can succeed in the long run requires a skill-set that is incredibly hard to develop and can actually be stunted by that short-term success.

cpollock

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would really like to say what I think of Fillaponi but I am sure he reads this or someone he knows does .. .

he irritates me when I am listening to the Fan

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I would really like to say what I think of Fillaponi but I am sure he reads this or someone he knows does .. .

he irritates me when I am listening to the Fan

The entire Fan lineup is rough as far as I'm concerned. The morning show is pretty darn un-listenable. David Todd on ESPN Pittsburgh is great. I also listen to a lot of Steelers Nation Radio (which I can stream on my phone and plug into my car's audio).

madinsomniac

Reaction score
well we could replace them with names like Dawson and Unitas...but they I guess weren't good enough to make it in Pittsburgh

Its not hard to imagine a scenerio where the steelers go from unitis or dawson to bradshaw to marino, to a little gap with Maddox or kordell, to Ben....Its also easy to see with a coin flip going the wrong way and a coach getting a tackle instead of a QB, Neil Odonnal being the best QB the Steelers fielded since Bobby Layne

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Kordell issues were upstairs. He was not mentaly tough. One mistake and he went into the tank.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would really like to say what I think of Fillaponi but I am sure he reads this or someone he knows does .

Cheryl's got a crush!

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Stewart was an amazing football player, but a mediocre QB. He pretty much had two seasons in 1997 and 2001 where he played well as a QB, but totally imploded in conference title games.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Wig nails it, although I would add that having ****** OC's and a new one every year too, didn't help.
My uncle, now retired, worked for one of the major TV stations in Pittsburgh (partly why I picked Ron Burgundy for my screen name) covering sports and general news for 30 years, and will tell you that Kordell was one of the nicest people to ever play for the Stillers.