• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Lions vs. Steelers (Preseason Gm 1) - Game Day Thread

scraps

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Speedy mofo that Billingsley.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
sloppy game. Not much to take away except Sammie Coates needs to get his head out of his ***.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Their third stringers are better than our third stringers.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Sloppy game indeed. It's pre season game one though. Coates needs to hold onto the ball. Didn't look too promising. Forget it and get better

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Exactly what did anyone get out of this performance. What the heck this team under Tomlin does at training camp is beyond me. That team should be embarrassed that a 39 year old in Harrison played with more desire than anyone tonight. . All this BS about Coates, he showed a lot, two fumbles. Tackling we have no clue. Richardson was the only bright spot in the game. Please let everyone jump hard. The games I have seen so far the teams look like a football team ready to play. Will be easy for Tomlin to cut many after tonight. I despise Bill-I-Cheat but we all know tomorrow heads would roll and he would have more in camp to find someone wanting to play. Sad Sad Sad.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
tackling sucked....could not get off the field on 3rd down....Coates can not hold onto the ball....

three punts.....one is fair caught inside the 10 (not a big fan of that)...not sure what happened on Norwood's...but in was downed inside the 5...Ayers needs to head up the field quicker....he let them string him out to the sideline,

Ayers 1 rush for 14 yards and 1 reception on his only target.....short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Sloppy game indeed. It's pre season game one though. Coates needs to hold onto the ball. Didn't look too promising. Forget it and get better

My wife's coworker has season tickets, we buy a game or two every year, and she doesn't understand why no one wanted her preseason game tickets for $75 face.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
My wife's coworker has season tickets, we buy a game or two every year, and she doesn't understand why no one wanted her preseason game tickets for $75 face.

If I had the down time to travel I would go. Maybe not $75 but I think me and the wife would enjoy a pre season game. It's been awhile since we went out to a sporting event. Work and our son make life hectic lol.

I didn't expect the Steelers to light up the scoreboard tonight and was expecting sloppy play. A lot of new faces, especially third stringers. Hoping some of our favorites improve. Wanna see Matakevich and Ayers make this team

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Man 1st offense was horrid.
High spots are Harrison, grant, and Rogers. Other than that was not too pretty

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Man 1st offense was horrid.
High spots are Harrison, grant, and Rogers. Other than that was not too pretty

Ayers was the 2nd leading rusher on the team tonight.....

Rogers 1 rush for 5 yards and a reception for 8 yards plus a fair catch at the 9....yep real bright.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Ayers was the 2nd leading rusher on the team tonight.....

Rogers 1 rush for 5 yards and a reception for 8 yards plus a fair catch at the 9....yep real bright.

Considering the offense had like 10 plays into the 2nd quarter he looked ok with his opportunities. Looked like he had some shiftiness. Also a fair catch at the 9 is not terrible. I know your not supposed to catch anything inside the 10, but if the punting team is close that ball could get downed at the 1. (I did not see that play though)

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Grant, LJ Fort, Berry and the RB Richardson(?) stood out to me. AV looked rusty, Coats looked pathetic. 1st "real" action of the year, lets hope the arrow points up the rest of the way!

diver

Reaction score
We need to get beyond this idea of wanting to "feel" good after watching a preseason game. I want to feel good, too, but the Steelers under Tomlin just aren't going to provide that. The place that gets me annoyed is it looked like the Lions had a little plan, work on getting the ball out, screens, etc. The Steelers in these games seem like a team that just pulls plays out of a hat. Oh, well. It is going to be that way.

I just think at some point, even if it is preseason and just game 1, you have to put your young guys in a position to succeed.

I thought Hargrave flashed a few times. Matthews. I was watching the O-Line and Hawkins looked OK.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates looked great in practice and not in the game. He needs to fix that and quick.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Just a few observations from the game....James Harrison thank you for coming back this season. Doran Grant had a nice game including a pick six. Jessie James did some nice work with his run blocking and was alert on a fumble recovery too.....he's definitely headed in the right direction. Sammie Coates couldn't have had a worse game dropped balls and 2 fumbles....UGH...hang in there Sammie. Eli Rogers appears as advertised.....is he going to move up to the #3 WR? Seems pretty elusive after the catch. Demarcus Ayres has a nice reverse for good yardage but it's gonna be hard to find a roster spot for him because I think Eli Rogers has won a roster spot. Was hoping to see more from Javon Hargrave but he had some good pressure a few times.....lacks a good bull rush. Daryl Richardson...wow can he fly when they take it outside but he's awful between the tackles.....going to a battle for Touissant to keep his roster spot. Gradkowski would seem to me like the odd man out.....I think his arm is done!

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
First pre-season game for sure and all the question marks are seemingly obvious...except Landry Jones. I see quite a few people don't think he's worth keeping while I see much improvement. He is no Big Ben but I don't think he's the camp nut sack anymore either. I saw a couple nice touch passes and a couple complete duds, just like a lot of inexperienced Qb's throw. Time will tell but I'm not ready to chuck his *** to the curb yet, especially since he's all we got right now.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Their third stringers are better than our third stringers.

That does seem consistent year to year, doesn't it?
Not ready to act like Chicken Little after the first preseason game. Just the way Tomlin operates.

If I'm not mistaken, I didn't see any significant injury, so there is that.

diver

Reaction score
Sammie Coates may end up being a very good player. This is not a knock on him. But to expect him to look like Martavis Bryant, I think that guy is special. Sammie Coates isn't Martavis Bryant. Maybe he needs to realize that and just be himself. I wonder if he is putting a lot of pressure on himself, because everyone is saying he will just up and replace Bryant.

diver

Reaction score
That does seem consistent year to year, doesn't it?
Not ready to act like Chicken Little after the first preseason game. Just the way Tomlin operates.

If I'm not mistaken, I didn't see any significant injury, so there is that.

Right. I think Tomlin just wants to see if his guys can beat the other guy one on one. Well, that's fine, I guess. But I'd like to see them put these guys in situations where they can be successful. For example, that Billingsly kid last night, he didn't beat anyone to get open, they schemed that, then let his talents in the open field come through. I just wonder if the Steeler coaching staff does that. Charlie Batch is always saying they don't plan anything in these games. Maybe the ought to, just a little.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Right. I think Tomlin just wants to see if his guys can beat the other guy one on one. Well, that's fine, I guess. But I'd like to see them put these guys in situations where they can be successful. For example, that Billingsly kid last night, he didn't beat anyone to get open, they schemed that, then let his talents in the open field come through. I just wonder if the Steeler coaching staff does that. Charlie Batch is always saying they don't plan anything in these games. Maybe the ought to, just a little.

no... putting in game plans, especially early, can cover forpoorinstincts and hide physical woes... you use preseason to find guys worth developing, and gameplanning can skew that greatly.