• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Lifelong Steeler Fan bringing my son to 1st game this weekend

mikep8423

Reaction score
I am a lifelong Steeler fan and currenlty live in Denver. I have booked my flight and hotel for this weekend's playoff game to provide my 11 year old son his first hometown Steelers experience. I am asking for ideas from Steeler nation on a tailgate or any events to attend prior to the game?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
We will be tailgating. You're welcome to come hang out. We just ask you chip in $5 (per head) to help cover the cost of food.

Where are you staying?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
If you will be in town on Saturday, go to the Strip District. Lots of food and Steelers swag for sale.
That's where the original Primanti Brothers is but it can be lined up out the door on Saturdays. The other one downtown in Market Square isn't as crowded.
Big Jim's in Greenfield, as featured on Guy Fieri's TV show, only about two miles out of downtown. Old-timey Yinzer steel town bar with a dining room, it's fine to take an 11 year old. Warning, the portions are enormous so consider ordering one dinner with an extra plate for junior. Despite appearances, the selection of craft beer is excellent. There is an extra parking lot around back.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Peppi's has the Roethlisberger a must try..........

Steelmann

Reaction score
Hi Mike,having done the same thing years ago with my son,let's hope the weather is half decent for you. As Ron said above ,we went to the strip district for Steelers tidbits. The thing I loved doing with my son,we got in on a Friday,was walking around the city. Feeling the hype. On Saturday we walked over the bridge(we stayed downtown at the William Penn) walking along the river promenade,circling Heinz field taking in the history. As a life long fan ,it was almost surreal. Being a big Pirates fan as well,I could not believe our luck,as the big doors were open to the field. We walked right in and were right on field level looking around at all the seats,the scoreboard. Too cool!

Like I said,hopefully you can get there a day or two early. Take your time walk around. Get out of the hotel for breakfast and lunch.The city was far more beautiful than I had anticipated as well. Have a great time and take lots of pictures! I am jealous.

mikep8423

Reaction score
Wild card weekend trip to Pittsburgh

We will be tailgating. You're welcome to come hang out. We just ask you chip in $5 (per head) to help cover the cost of food.

Where are you staying?

Thank you for the reply and invite! We will be arriving Friday evening and staying at the Omni William Penn downtown. Where is your tailgate located? Haven't been back to a home game since 04 win over Jets, Looking forward to an awesome weekend!
Go Steelers!

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Carnegie Science Center and sportsworks are across the Street from the stadium both are kid friendly and fun. I think you can get a package deal.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and invite! We will be arriving Friday evening and staying at the Omni William Penn downtown. Where is your tailgate located? Haven't been back to a home game since 04 win over Jets, Looking forward to an awesome weekend!
Go Steelers!

Enjoy your stay Mike. I had my son to his first regular season game this year (thanks CPollock!), and he enjoyed the Strip District to grab more Steeler stuff, Primantis (aim well after lunch/dinner, and try to sit near the counter, the one in Market Square has the open concept grill too) the Heinz Sports Museum (you'll walk by it between the Omni WP and the Strip) for a couple hours. We were able to do a stadium tour (I think they are done now), did a boat ride from Station Square, the inclines (one near Station Square, the other easy with a vehicle). Dinner Saturday night on the South Side will be fun, even with a young fellow, as most out and about will be in game gear. Use Uber, not cabs, as cabs dahntahn suck worse than the stains.

Go Steelers!

PS. Go to the tailgate with Steelerfan81.

76steelers

Reaction score
9 years ago I took my 2 sons to our 1st steelers game and we are hooked. Once a year we take a 5 hour bus trip out to the burg and enjoy a good weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Took my family two years ago and my oldest son alone this October. The people on this site are very gracious and inviting to their tailgates. It's basically one giant party around the stadium. I found even the little bars around the stadium great on game day. I stopped at the tilted kilt before the game. Had beers from the cart girl and milled around that little area and interacted with fans. They let my son in after. We sat in the deck and watched games. Like the others said the strip district is great on game day. Market Square in the downtown is good place for food and atmosphere. I thought the Heinz History Centre/ Western PA Sports Museum was far better than the Carniege Science Centre which was pretty much the same as any science centre I've seen. The sports museum is near the strip district as well. Jerome Bettis Restaurant was great for big people atmosphere yet still being with a kid. I can say this. I felt very comfortable were very we went including walking down by the stadiums after dark. It is an amazing city and we had great experiences there. Enjoy!!!!!!!

steelhurt

Reaction score
Mike, you and your son enjoy the game. The experience of being at Heinz is unmatched. I was at the Giants game a few weeks back and took a work colleague who had never been to an NFL game. His remarks were; these Pittsburgh fans are fantastic, they are passionate and really love their team. His eyes were as big as saucers the entire game and the cold didn't even seem to affect this guy who resides in Florida.

Your son will never forget this experience, trust me! I travel from Houston every year to a couple games and always look forward to it. Bring us a win!

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Go Steelers!

We will be tailgating right beside the parking garage in between Heinz and PNC Park. Send me a pm with your number and I'll give you mine.

cpollock

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
General Robinson Parking garage -- there is an outside parking lot .. here is where you will find us .. Tailgate.JPG

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a trick. He'll make you send him dick picks...

JK, It's a nice spot to visit board members!

I may be there Sunday!

OFTT

Reaction score
Cheryl & Justin ... we are rolling in on Sunday ... definitely planning on stumbling into youse two if you'll have us !!!!

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Cheryl & Justin ... we are rolling in on Sunday ... definitely planning on stumbling into youse two if you'll have us !!!!

Yah man, send me your number and I'll send you mine.