• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let's Go PENS!

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what any other GM would have done better. This team was packed with so much offensive talent. Half the centers and wingers on the roster could go to any other team in the NHL and be their top offensive guy. I mean, we had the luxury of putting TWO legitimate NHL superstars and probably future hall-of-famers on the same line and STILL have at least two other 30-goal-scorers on other lines. The defense we have aren't the best in the world, but should have been enough to win a Cup this year. What is Sid missing? Would we have been that much better off trading away James Neal and/or Jussi Jokkinen to get a couple of goons to beat up anyone that looks sideways at Sid? If that's what his late-season/post-season collapse was all about, I'd tell him to grow a set of balls if he wants to play hockey in a man's league.

All good points. It is puzzling.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Unless Crosby was ******* injured he has no excuse to not go all out. That's what he gets paid a **** ******* ton of money to do. Score ******* goals and be the captain. If you don't want to lead then get the **** out of the way. Stop being a ****.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
pick up Miller after you trade MAF for Kesler. Done! Neal and Letang could bring some value back, as well. If they they can lose with those guys, they can lose w/o them. Time to get better and bigger.

Spike

Reaction score
all we have is rumors, Letang up for trade?

Letang broke foot, hand late in second round

Letang broke his foot in Game 6 of Pittsburgh’s second round series against the New York Rangers and suffered a broken hand in Game 7, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie.

Kris Letang would have had a hard time getting much done had the Pittsburgh Penguins advanced to the Eastern Conference Final and that’s assuming he would have played at all.

The Penguins have indicated that they’re ready to make meaningful changes by firing former GM Ray Shero. Perhaps they’ll follow it up by moving Letang, who is about to start his eight-year, $58 million contract.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/19/letang-broke-foot-hand-late-in-second-round/

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Letang contract was a ******* stupid move to begin with. I don't see them getting a decent ROI whether keeping him or trading.

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Letang contract was a ******* stupid move to begin with. I don't see them getting a decent ROI whether keeping him or trading.

This has yet to be seen. I can see Letang, when healthy, being a formidable multi-talented defenseman.I believe that we will not regret that contract.

Only time will tell.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
This has yet to be seen. I can see Letang, when healthy, being a formidable multi-talented defenseman.I believe that we will not regret that contract.

Only time will tell.
Me too. In a salary cap sport when you have a couple guys taking up most of the money (Sid and Geno) then your talent and depth is going suffer in other areas. The Ravens are learning this as well. /Captain Obvious

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Me too. In a salary cap sport when you have a couple guys taking up most of the money (Sid and Geno) then your talent and depth is going suffer in other areas. The Ravens are learning this as well. /Captain Obvious

On the other hand, I'd let FA guys like Orpik and Nisky walk, and maybe even trade off Martin to get some cap space. Bring up these young highly drafted defensemen, and put Scuds to good use, working with these kids. I'd then use the cap space to bring in some decent, physical wingers. I also hear that RJ Umburger may have become available. Bring him home!

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
I'd then use the cap space to bring in some decent, physical wingers. I also hear that RJ Umburger may have become available. Bring him home!

Hell, move Letang to wing. He's a better scorer than most wingers we have now and he plays offense better than defense. Also, I'd have no problems bringing Umburger into the fold.

Vader

Reaction score

It doesn't have to suffer as much if you draft better and don't give huge contracts to players like Letang.

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score

Vader

Reaction score
I've been pulling for MAF for years. I thought he'd be a dominant goalie. But he gets flustered and lets in some very soft goals. Plus his board play is horrible... just stay in the net.

Spike

Reaction score
Hell, move Letang to wing. .

He can't hold up physically on D let alone when other teams go after him with physical forwards and pound him as an offensive target

meanwhile, https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...50318342299649

PIT prospect Derrick Pouliot had shoulder surgery today, out 4 to 6 months. Tomorrow, PIT's Olli Maatta to undergo shoulder surgery in PIT.

more great news.

Spike

Reaction score
Agreed .....

and don't forget Scuderi's contract from Shero - he had a horrible season. He’ll be 36 in December and still has three years left on his contract and the Penguins can’t use an amnesty buyout on him because his most recent contract was signed following the latest CBA. Ouch.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
On the other hand, I'd let FA guys like Orpik and Nisky walk, and maybe even trade off Martin to get some cap space. Bring up these young highly drafted defensemen, and put Scuds to good use, working with these kids. I'd then use the cap space to bring in some decent, physical wingers. I also hear that RJ Umburger may have become available. Bring him home!

Orpik can go....great guy but past his prime. Niskanen has to stay though, imo......same with Martin.....young guys need a mentor.

Would LOVE to see RJ come home.

Trade Letang and get rid of MAF. Sign Miller and go get this local boy as his protege:

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476434

Goaltending issues go away for a decade. You're welcome.

Good calls....our homeboy Gibson has a bright future...

and don't forget Scuderi's contract from Shero - he had a horrible season. He’ll be 36 in December and still has three years left on his contract and the Penguins can’t use an amnesty buyout on him because his most recent contract was signed following the latest CBA. Ouch.

So what can they do with him? Trade? Release?

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Orpik can go....great guy but past his prime. Niskanen has to stay though, imo......same with Martin.....young guys need a mentor.
Scuds will be the mentor. His name is twice on the Cup. We might not be able to afford Nisky in free agency. Time to bring up the young guns. That's why we drafted them so high, right?

Next year is a transition year. Embrace it.

Spike

Reaction score
Dave Molinari @MolinariPG.Beau Bennett undergoes wrist surgery today. Recovery time projected to be four months.

drink more milk

Spike

Reaction score
Penguins interested in bringing in Pierre McGuire as general manager

The enigmatic NBC personality Pierre McGuire may be heading to Pittsburgh where he served as an assistant coach through the early nineties.

Reports continue to swirl that McGuire will head to Pittsburgh based on his ties with the organization formed in his early career. The option is open, according to Jimmy Murphy.

http://www.thescore.com/news/506368

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Please tell me that the Pierre McGuire report is a joke.