• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Les Miles out at LSU

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
okay, those who say Houston will ALWAYS just be a stepping stone, please explain why a school located in Houston with an administration that now supports athletics and has rallied rich alumni support can not become a major player if added to a Power 5 conference.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
If Houston is added to the Big12, then NO it is not a stepping stone job. Herman has said he likes the idea of building something at Houston....

Kinda like Pitt joining the ACC makes it not a stepping stone.

Building his resume'

P

POP

go suck your own **** you pos like you told me to in the reputation section. Houston is a shithole, the stadium is a glorified high school stadium, joining the big 12 does nothing for that. Every coach on the way up talks about staying at his current job and then jumps when the big boys come calling, this tol will do the same.

rotmfflmmfao!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been to the sweltering shot hole many times, urban sprawl, mediocre nightlife and restaurants, not a city of any note except for its size.

Great mexican food and sea food boils. Hilary Duff(soon to be ex Mrs. MTC) is from there. C'mon every city has its ups and downs. I'm not a big fan of ABQ but the mild weather, local food and easy navigation make this place great

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Teams have got to start somewhere. Baylor was an afterthought for ever...until they swiped Art Briles from Houston....and why did he and Sumlin leave? more money from a power five school. IF Houston is raised tot that level, they have already promised to raise Herman's pay and will be able to increase the number of 5 star kids that decide to stay and play at home in front of their friends and family....

Pitt and Penn St were power house schools would you call them that now? or USC or UCLA? all they have now are well known names....The landscape changes......

^^^
This

USC comes to mind as a program on the decline. The administrstion/alumni are proud. Fan support isn't too great, unless by alumni or current students. What come to mind in Houston is they are in a big area of Texas. Texas loves their football. Houston can recruit D1 talent in that city alone. Winning creates a positive culture that trickles into the school. So I can see Houston improving into the P5 ranks

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
okay, those who say Houston will ALWAYS just be a stepping stone, please explain why a school located in Houston with an administration that now supports athletics and has rallied rich alumni support can not become a major player if added to a Power 5 conference.

Anyone????

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't think Penn State is a destination job then that means you must think there are about 10 or so destination jobs in the whole country.

A destination job has nothing to do with recent success. If there was recent success then a school wouldn't need a new coach would they?

What was Alabama's success prior to Saban? How about USC before Pete Carroll?

A destination job is a place where
1 You can get top pay
2 You have top notch facilities
3 You have a fertile recruiting territory
4 You have fan support
5 The school does not have a history of changing coaches every couple years AKA job security

Basically, can you get paid, and does the job have everything you need to win. That is a destination job.

Penn State is clearly a destination job. They check every box.

Even through sanction, Franklin has recruited well. The problem is that O'Brien did not so right now the juniors and seniors are mostly walkons and 3 star type guys. In particular, O'Brien recruited almost nothing on OL or DL and those are the main weaknesses now.

I don't believe Franklin is going anywhere until at least 2018. It would be premature to fire him when the team is not even at full strength yet.

I would not want Les Miles at all. He's a terrible coach. He was a good recruiter down south but i doubt he'd be as successful recruiting up north. I was really hoping he got the Michigan job last year.

Say what you want about Franklin, but he was smart enough to fire the OC and his friend John Donovan, when the offense was putrid. The new OC Joe Moorhead is a huge upgrade and the offense has been much better. The OL still stinks so they are outmatched against a team like Michigan but they will move the ball plenty against non-elite teams. Les Miles has had a crap offense for years.

Is LSU a desirable job? You will be fired if you don't win or come close to a national championship within about 3 years. Look at Auburn. Chizik actually won a NC and he was fired just a few seasons later. Malzahn may have a foot out the door soon too.

I think right now that Houston is a better job than LSU. That is provided Herman can convince Houston to invest in the program, build better facilities.

There is another definition of a destination job. Any place you and your family are happy.

Fans and media forget that coaches are people with the same family issues as everybody else. Every day, regular working folks turn down promotions that would mean more money but moving to a different city. Why? Because they are happy where they are.

Lovie Smith took the University of Illinois job. Is that a destination job? It could be for him. He's getting older. It's a relatively low pressure job. If he wins 7 games most years and 9 or 10 every about once every 4 years and maybe make the Big 10 Championship game, he can probably keep that job for life. And maybe he will if he's happy there.

David Shaw at Stanford will be offered every job. But from what he's said Stanford is his destination job. He loves it there. He may never be able to win a championship there but he has job security and lives in a beautiful area

With the new college playoff which is likely to expand soon, there are far more "destination jobs" because there are far more schools where you can win big. Prior to the playoffs, a job like Houston would not even be considered as anything but a stepping stone. But now if they get in the Big 12, you can win there and get to a playoff.

I don't know if Herman likes the Houston area or if he has aspirations to go to the NFL or any of that. If he likes being a college coach and his family likes Houston then it's a destination job. If he wants to go to the NFL then he may have to prove himself at a school in a bigger conference so maybe he jumps ship to LSU and tries to make his name taking down Bama.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I think right now that Houston is a better job than LSU. That is provided Herman can convince Houston to invest in the program, build better facilities.

They had started that before Herman was hired. They built a new stadium that was designed to be expanded if they made it into a Power 5 conference. They just finished new locker and training facilities and are currently working on raising the money for an indoor practice facility. The support is there (finally) from the school administration and Alumni are coming around since the success began with Briles, then Sumlin, then missed a beat and is surging under Herman.

LSU was nothing 20 years ago....two good coaches, the support of a major conference and now they are a top destination position

I don't know if Herman likes the Houston area or if he has aspirations to go to the NFL or any of that. If he likes being a college coach and his family likes Houston then it's a destination job. If he wants to go to the NFL then he may have to prove himself at a school in a bigger conference so maybe he jumps ship to LSU and tries to make his name taking down Bama.

I have not heard anything about Herman wanting to make the NFL...He has stated that he wants to be where he can win a National Championship....if Houston makes the Big 12, he would have that chance...if they don't he will be gone this offseason.

1 You can get top pay - UH has stated if they get in the Big 12 Herman gets $5 million
2 You have top notch facilities - Brand new stadium (can be expanded to 60,000) not the biggest but better than average - new locker room and training rooms - Raising funding for new indoor practice facility
3 You have a fertile recruiting territory - Southeast Texas.... very fertile area
4 You have fan support - Houston is a front runner city..when they win the fans are there.new stadium is pretty much sold out for the season...sold most season tickets ever this year...Rich alumni are stepping up...Packed NRG for the OU game and were very loud
5 The school does not have a history of changing coaches every couple years AKA job security - has been a stepping stone school, have had long tenured coaches when they were in the SWC and would love Herman to coach for decades

Last edited:

GRBman

Reaction score
What makes you think he would be interested in going there. It's not a destination job.

The fact that he's unemployed...

Look, Miles is an average coach (at best)...but he's an ELITE recruiter. If nothing else, the dude can get loads of talent into the program to overcome his serious lack of coaching ability.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
In my opinion there are only a few Destination jobs that just about any head coach would jump for:

In no particular order

Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Alabama
USC
FSU
Michigan
Notre Dame - even though they are vastly over hyped

Next Level Schools

Penn State - a few years farther away from pedophilegate and they are likely back in the above list
LSU
Auburn
A&M
UCLA
Stanford
Florida
Michigan St
Tennessee

Others that slipped out of this list
Arkansas
Nebraska
Pitt
Miami

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If you don't think Penn State is a destination job then that means you must think there are about 10 or so destination jobs in the whole country.

A destination job has nothing to do with recent success. If there was recent success then a school wouldn't need a new coach would they?

What was Alabama's success prior to Saban? How about USC before Pete Carroll?

1 You can get top pay
2 You have top notch facilities
3 You have a fertile recruiting territory
4 You have fan support
5 The school does not have a history of changing coaches every couple years AKA job security

Basically, can you get paid, and does the job have everything you need to win. That is a destination job.

Penn State is clearly a destination job. They check every box.

Even through sanction, Franklin has recruited well. The problem is that O'Brien did not so right now the juniors and seniors are mostly walkons and 3 star type guys. In particular, O'Brien recruited almost nothing on OL or DL and those are the main weaknesses now.

I don't believe Franklin is going anywhere until at least 2018. It would be premature to fire him when the team is not even at full strength yet.

I would not want Les Miles at all. He's a terrible coach. He was a good recruiter down south but i doubt he'd be as successful recruiting up north. I was really hoping he got the Michigan job last year.

Say what you want about Franklin, but he was smart enough to fire the OC and his friend John Donovan, when the offense was putrid. The new OC Joe Moorhead is a huge upgrade and the offense has been much better. The OL still stinks so they are outmatched against a team like Michigan but they will move the ball plenty against non-elite teams. Les Miles has had a crap offense for years.

Is LSU a desirable job? You will be fired if you don't win or come close to a national championship within about 3 years. Look at Auburn. Chizik actually won a NC and he was fired just a few seasons later. Malzahn may have a foot out the door soon too.

There is another definition of a destination job. Any place you and your family are happy.

Fans and media forget that coaches are people with the same family issues as everybody else. Every day, regular working folks turn down promotions that would mean more money but moving to a different city. Why? Because they are happy where they are.

Lovie Smith took the University of Illinois job. Is that a destination job? It could be for him. He's getting older. It's a relatively low pressure job. If he wins 7 games most years and 9 or 10 every about once every 4 years and maybe make the Big 10 Championship game, he can probably keep that job for life. And maybe he will if he's happy there.

David Shaw at Stanford will be offered every job. But from what he's said Stanford is his destination job. He loves it there. He may never be able to win a championship there but he has job security and lives in a beautiful area

With the new college playoff which is likely to expand soon, there are far more "destination jobs" because there are far more schools where you can win big. Prior to the playoffs, a job like Houston would not even be considered as anything but a stepping stone. But now if they get in the Big 12, you can win there and get to a playoff.

If I were PSU, I'd take Miles.

Is PSU a destination job? Hard to say. Joe Pa was there forever. Not sure if PSU qualifes. They are no better than 4th in the BIG TEN, with Giants like Meyer and Harbaugh getting the top talent. I'd argue Wisconsin has passed Penn State.

A " destination coahcing Job " to me is a school that rates in the top 15 more often than not.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
If I were PSU, I'd take Miles.

Is PSU a destination job? Hard to say. Joe Pa was there forever. Not sure if PSU qualifes. They are no better than 4th in the BIG TEN, with Giants like Meyer and Harbaugh getting the top talent. I'd argue Wisconsin has passed Penn State.

A " destination coahcing Job " to me is a school that rates in the top 15 more often than not.

So you think there are like 10 jobs basically. By your definition, Texas is not a destination job. That's absurd. How often do jobs at schools that are constantly in the top 15 open up? It's a myth that teams are CONSTANTLY in the top 15. Very few are. Teams go up and down as evidenced by LSU firing their coach.

In the last 10 years, Penn State has the 17th best win % of any program. That's 10 years of a declining Paterno and sanctions.

2005 - 2015 wins
PSU 96
Michigan State 96
Auburn 94
Nebraska 94
Notre Dame 90
Stanford 89
Michigan 83
Texas A&M 83
Miami 80
UCLA 81
Pitt 76

You want to look at just the last 5 years where PSU has been under sanctions?
PSU 45
Florida 47
UCLA 47
Michigan 48
Miami 43
Texas 41
Pitt 41
Tennessee 37

Michigan has been down and now they are back up because Harbaugh inherited a stocked roster and he's coaching them up. Penn State is right where Michigan was 2 years ago, lots of young talent that is inexperienced. All these juniors and seniors playing great for Michigan now were on team the 2014 team that went 5-7

That's why current or recent success means nothing about what is a "destination job". That's cyclical.

BTW no college job is truly a destination job compared to the NFL. Saban failed in the NFL and is too old to try again, so he'll stay until he's ready to retire. But most other coaches will be tempted to bolt to the NFL if they win enough. I can see Harbaugh going back.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

its in Houston.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So you think there are like 10 jobs basically. By your definition, Texas is not a destination job. That's absurd. How often do jobs at schools that are constantly in the top 15 open up? It's a myth that teams are CONSTANTLY in the top 15. Very few are. Teams go up and down as evidenced by LSU firing their coach.

In the last 10 years, Penn State has the 17th best win % of any program. That's 10 years of a declining Paterno and sanctions.

2005 - 2015 wins
PSU 96
Michigan State 96
Auburn 94
Nebraska 94
Notre Dame 90
Stanford 89
Michigan 83
Texas A&M 83
Miami 80
UCLA 81
Pitt 76

You want to look at just the last 5 years where PSU has been under sanctions?
PSU 45
Florida 47
UCLA 47
Michigan 48
Miami 43
Texas 41
Pitt 41
Tennessee 37

Michigan has been down and now they are back up because Harbaugh inherited a stocked roster and he's coaching them up. Penn State is right where Michigan was 2 years ago, lots of young talent that is inexperienced. All these juniors and seniors playing great for Michigan now were on team the 2014 team that went 5-7

That's why current or recent success means nothing about what is a "destination job". That's cyclical.

BTW no college job is truly a destination job compared to the NFL. Saban failed in the NFL and is too old to try again, so he'll stay until he's ready to retire. But most other coaches will be tempted to bolt to the NFL if they win enough. I can see Harbaugh going back.

I said, A " destination coaching Job " to me is a school that rates in the top 15 more often than not. So there are more than 10. Also, 2005-2010 is too far back. Destination jobs are current winners where the program is in good shape when the head coach leaves.

I like PSU, but they have a bad habit of getting blown out, do not develop their talent like other coaching staffs do and have the specter of Sandusky, a guy they should have fired long ago above their heads.

I do not think the program will come back with the current coach. Not a chance. You're going to need a real heavyweight and accomplished coach who can recruit better, call a better game, and motivate better.

Destination jobs do not have coaches fleeing the program when they get the chance, which recently happened at PSU.

PS: Michigan is better because of Harbaugh period. He made them winners, coached them up and has everyone believing. Like I said PSU will need a coach on Harbaugh's or Myers level, or they won't win the big ten while these two are in it.

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

Reaction score
In my opinion there are only a few Destination jobs that just about any head coach would jump for:

In no particular order

Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Alabama
USC
FSU
Michigan
Notre Dame - even though they are vastly over hyped

Next Level Schools

Penn State - a few years farther away from pedophilegate and they are likely back in the above list
LSU
Auburn
A&M
UCLA
Stanford
Florida
Michigan St
Tennessee

Others that slipped out of this list
Arkansas
Nebraska
Pitt
Miami

I mostly agree with your list. I would put Florida in the 1st tier and maybe Notre Dame in the 2nd tier. Penn State is in the 2nd tier for two main reasons - the declining/stagnant population of many Pennsylvania cities and the fact that it is located in a cold weather remote city. Western Pennsylvania used to be a hot bed of football talent and now a lot of the cities have a 1/3 or 1/2 of its population compared to their peak. Penn State does not have the close access to the amount talent Pennsylvania was producing in the 1960's through 1980's. When I first started following recruiting on the internet about 16 or 17 years ago there were a few articles on the declining talent level in Pennsylvania high school football compared to the 1970's and 1980's. Pennsylvania only has 8 four star recruits in the 2017 recruiting class based on 247sports and scout.com. Penn State only has one of those commits out of the top 8 and may get a second later this year.

You also have to consider Penn State cherry picked the best players from New Jersey and Maryland 30 years ago. Ohio State/Michigan and other schools now have a larger presence in NJ/Maryland area partly because of Rutgers/Maryland joining the Big Ten. IMO, Penn State will never reach the 1st tier again because of the reasons I stated above. College football has changed in the last 30 years. Everybody is on television and the southeast talent level keeps on growing. I would take the LSU job over Penn State because of the talent level in its region and state. Louisiana I believe has the most talent per capita of any state. LSU also has neighboring Texas to recruit form.