• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Les Miles out at LSU

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...iles-12-seasons-name-ed-orgeron-interim-coach

LSU has fired head football coach Les Miles and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and promoted defensive line coach Ed Orgeron to interim head coach.

Miles' firing, reported first by the Baton Rouge Advocate and confirmed by ESPN, comes one day after LSU lost 18-13 at Auburn when referees overruled what had appeared to be a game-winning touchdown. Replay showed that LSU did not start the final play before the game clock hit zero.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
******* better not try to come to Houston and steal Herman away.....

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
You think Houston is not a stepping stone job, LMFAO.

If Houston is added to the Big12, then NO it is not a stepping stone job. Herman has said he likes the idea of building something at Houston....He could be the one who turns Houston into a major force or he could be just the next guy somewhere else....

C

Clete

If Houston is added to the Big12, then NO it is not a stepping stone job. Herman has said he likes the idea of building something at Houston....He could be the one who turns Houston into a major force or he could be just the next guy somewhere else....

Go suck your own **** you POS like you told me to in the reputation section. Houston is a shithole, the stadium is a glorified high school stadium, joining the Big 12 does nothing for that. EVERY coach on the way up talks about staying at his current job and then jumps when the big boys come calling, this tol will do the same.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Go suck your own **** you POS like you told me to in the reputation section. Houston is a shithole, the stadium is a glorified high school stadium, joining the Big 12 does nothing for that. EVERY coach on the way up talks about staying at his current job and then jumps when the big boys come calling, this tol will do the same.

**** off douchebag. Houston is far from a shithole and is a prime spot for recruiting high school talent. Herman had the chance to jump ship last year after going 13-1...but got a raise and staid. If UH gets in the Big 12 his salary goes to $5 million.....

The stadium was built so it could be easily expanded...it will not be among the biggest after expansion, but it will be large enough....

C

Clete

Houston is a **** hole just like you are a ******* retard.

He will bolt, better jobs in better colleges will be available. No one stays at Houston unless there are no better options.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

He will bolt, better jobs in better colleges will be available. No one stays at Houston unless there are no better options.

he might bolt...but it will not be because of the city...you obviously don't know **** about Houston....

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
I'd take him at Penn State....can't be worse than Franklin

What makes you think he would be interested in going there. It's not a destination job.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

Are you going to put up with this **** Coolie? Break out the Stick!

C

Clete

he might bolt...but it will not be because of the city...you obviously don't know **** about Houston....

I have been to the sweltering shot hole many times, urban sprawl, mediocre nightlife and restaurants, not a city of any note except for its size.

C

Clete

Will continue discussion tomorrow, had enough of Tomlin's ****** work for the night.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
I have been to the sweltering shot hole many times, urban sprawl, mediocre nightlife and restaurants, not a city of any note except for its size.

Every city has things that are great. Natives are proud of their respective cities. I don't see how any major city can not be great in its own way.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

it has some of the Best restaurants in the country....pretty much any type of food you want. Don't like the town...stay the **** out....

your opinion on this, like almost every other issue just doesn't ******* matter

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
maybe they will just make the interim coach permanent

Editor's note: This story was originally published last April after Louisiana native Ed Orgeron joined LSU's staff. Now that he's taking over as interim coach for Miles, here's a look back at why this is a special job for Orgeron.

BATON ROUGE, La. -- This one's personal for Ed Orgeron, so forget the Coach O caricature for a minute or two.

He's at the program he always admired, often from a short but safe distance. He's a son of Louisiana, born in Larose, where Bayou Lafourche meets the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. He won a state championship with South Lafourche High School, playing alongside Bobby Hebert. He signed to play with LSU and spent a year with the Tigers before a position change prompted him to leave for Northwestern State. His coaching career started at two in-state colleges -- Northwestern State and McNeese State -- and later featured a stint at another, Nicholls State, as well as one with the NFL's New Orleans Saints.

But his zig-zag through coaching never brought him to Louisiana's flagship college program.

"I watched them all my life," he said. "Everybody cheers for LSU."

Everybody cheered LSU's hiring of Orgeron as defensive line coach in January. It was labeled one of the best -- and most obvious -- moves of the offseason. Seeing Orgeron in purple and gold makes you wonder what took so long. He isn't literally at home in Mandeville, Louisiana, where he spent last season after not being retained as USC's head coach, but his current setup isn't much different -- plus, he's back in the football grind.

"My kids are here, my wife is here, I'm in the best living [situation] I've lived in my coaching career right now," Orgeron said. "I loved LA, but I’m living in a hotel, and my wife and my kids are in Louisiana.

"After a while, you can only go to P.F. Chang’s so many times."

Now picture Coach O perusing the P.F. Chang's menu with those eyes, and then, in that voice, ordering chicken lettuce wraps with a side of shrimp fried rice.

It's a little more natural picturing him at Mike Anderson's Seafood, one of his favorite spots here in town. Orgeron jokes that his ordering choice there is simple: the left side of the menu or the right.

"The year off taught me this," he said. "Before, when I was coaching, I was always interested in the result. Taking the year off, the thing I missed the most was the process, the daily grind of being around, going recruiting, doing this, doing that [snapping fingers].

"I always have respected the process, but I was going to enjoy it."

He enjoys the LSU players, whom he respected from afar but impress him with their drive and toughness. He enjoys working for Les Miles, whose "communication is wonderful," and on a staff that includes new defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, a longtime friend, and wide receivers coach Frank Wilson, who played at Nicholls State while Orgeron coached there.

"Frank is like a son to me," Orgeron said.

Orgeron missed "the destruction" of practices and enjoys the build to a season. He inherits a defensive line with typical LSU talent, especially inside with tackles Davon Godchaux and Christian LaCouture.

Orgeron wants the line to apply sufficient pocket pressure without assistance from the linebackers or secondary. Although LSU's defense excelled in several areas, sacking the quarterback was not one of them, as it finished 99th nationally in sacks percentage (4.7 percent of attempts). Coaching the defensive line is second nature for Orgeron, who has done it for five major college teams and the Saints, but he admits the offenses in the SEC West are more dangerous than the last time he worked in the division as Ole Miss' coach from 2005-07.

"He has a great passion for the game," LSU defensive end Tashawn Bower said. "It’s special. There’s a bunch of people who don’t have the passion for the game that you should at the college level. He definitely has it, and a lot of guys on this team have it, so it’s a good bond and a good connection.

"We absolutely relate and connect well with him."

The fire still burns, but LSU is getting a slightly more mellower Coach O. He coaches more like a professional coach, with less bombast and more selective word choices and delivery.

"You can get your point across a different way," he said. "When you're a head coach, your words are very powerful. When you’re an assistant, only your position group listens to you. You've got to be really careful what you say."

A careful Coach O? Let's see how long that lasts.

His shirts are staying on for now.

"Not yet, not yet," safety Jalen Mills said. "I'm waiting on it. I told him when he takes his off, I'm going to try and take mine off."

Orgeron's second head-coaching stint, while brief, ended much better than his first, as he helped prevent a total derailment at USC in 2013. Other opportunities to lead a program could come, especially with Orgeron's well-known recruiting clout.

But Orgeron is all in at LSU.

"[Pittsburgh Steelers coach] Mike Tomlin spoke to us and he said, 'Be where you are,'" Bower said. "That kind of translates to Coach Orgeron and what he has going on now."

LSU was always the school Orgeron could see but couldn't quite reach. Now, he's home.

"I'm happy being here," he said. "It means a lot to be an LSU Tiger."

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
haters with hater glasses on are gonna hate.....happy hatin'.

Im not hating. What makes Penn State a destination job? 3 straight 7 win seasons. 3 11 win seasons since 2000, also 3, 4, and 5 win seasons since 2000. They are a middle of the pack P5 school.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score

Lmao yeah, turn the houston cougars into a perennial powerhouse. I can totally see him coaching at HOUSTON *chuckles* for the next decade or two*chuckles harder*

Houston is, and always will be, a stepping stone

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Penn St used to be...but right now they are not...unless you have some ties there already....but if they could land someone like MIles, it would likely turn them around again....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'd take him at Penn State....can't be worse than Franklin

Underachieves with 4- and 5-star talent. Terrible play from the quarterback position and passing game in general. You know what, seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

Herman definitely the top target for LSU, but Kiffin may have a good shot as well if Herman doesn't want the job.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Lmao yeah, turn the houston cougars into a perennial powerhouse. I can totally see him coaching at HOUSTON *chuckles* for the next decade or two*chuckles harder*

Houston is, and always will be, a stepping stone

Houston was not an afterthought as a part of the SWC. If they land in a major conference and get the pay day that come with that then why could they not become a power school? They are in a recruiting hot spot and have a lot to offer coaches. Houston's main issue since the SWC fell apart and Texas Governor Ann Richards forced Baylor into the Big 12 has been a lack of dedication from school administration. Since Renu Khator took over in 2007 that has changed. She has worked hard to get support from Alumni and has turned the athletics around.

Herman has landed the first 5-star recruit, freshman Ed Oliver who is a beast inside on defense and have gotten transfers from UT RB Duke Catalon and A&M QB Kyle Allen

Get him in a Power 5 conference and he will bring in even better recruiting classes

Last edited:

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Houston was not an afterthought as a part of the SWC. If they land in a major conference and get the pay day that come with that then why could they not become a power school? They are in a recruiting hot spot and have a lot to offer coaches. Houston's main issue since the SWC fell apart and Texas Governor Ann Richards forced Baylor into the Big 12 has been a lack of dedication from school administration. Since Renu Khator took over in 2007 that has changed. She has worked hard to get support from Alumni and has turned the athletics around.

Sorry, not good enough.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
Underachieves with 4- and 5-star talent. Terrible play from the quarterback position and passing game in general. You know what, seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

Herman definitely the top target for LSU, but Kiffin may have a good shot as well if Herman doesn't want the job.
didn't say he was Amos Alonzo Stagg, said he would be better than Franklin.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Sorry, not good enough.

Teams have got to start somewhere. Baylor was an afterthought for ever...until they swiped Art Briles from Houston....and why did he and Sumlin leave? more money from a power five school. IF Houston is raised tot that level, they have already promised to raise Herman's pay and will be able to increase the number of 5 star kids that decide to stay and play at home in front of their friends and family....

Pitt and Penn St were power house schools would you call them that now? or USC or UCLA? all they have now are well known names....The landscape changes......