• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Labriola on quitting

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Labriola on quitting, fundamentals, CBs

Ready or not, here it comes:

* It last came up back in November 2013 after a game the Steelers lost, 55-31. It came up again this week, somewhat expectedly, because the Steelers were coming off a 34-3 loss.

What It Is: National Coffee Day
Share:
* "It" refers to the opinion that Mike Tomlin should have pulled Ben Roethlisbergerfrom the game in Philadelphia at some point after the Eagles had taken a 34-3 lead with almost exactly two minutes left in the third quarter.

* You know, to protect him. From injury. Maybe Antonio Brown, too, while you're at it. Get him encased in bubble wrap, too.

* If there is an official name for that coaching strategy, I'm not familiar with it, but that's OK because I simply refer to it another way. Quitting. Because that's what such actions by a coach represent. Quitting. Giving up. Or as Roberto Duran once put it so succinctly: No mas.

* Pulling the franchise quarterback and the All-Pro receiver is a message from the coach that he has given up, surrendered. He is telling his team that the game is a lost cause, and that message certainly is contradictory to all of the other teaching/preaching done by the coach to his players. You know, all that stuff about playing through pain, and dealing with adversity, and being resilient. That stuff.

* I can hear the NFL Films music in the background as the coach addresses the team: "Forget all of that stuff now, fellas, that stuff about giving all you've got and fighting to the last, because we're getting our butts kicked and I'm worried about the quarterback getting hurt. So we're going to quit right now, but then next week …"

Thursday practice update
Share:
* How do you imagine that would play in a locker room filled with professionals? To me, if I were one of those professionals, it would raise a bunch more questions.

* Such as: What's the deficit have to be before we quit? Does it have to be 34-3, or could it be 31-3? How about 34-6? At 31-10, are we still trying to win? If we're protecting players from injury, who all gets protected? Ben Roethlisberger, OK. And Antonio Brown? What about Maurkice Pouncey? DeAngelo Williams? Le'Veon Bell? Or is it DeAngelo Williams and Le'Veon Bell? Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt? Ryan Shazier? There's not a lot of depth at cornerback, so what about some of those guys? Our punter and placekicker are having nice seasons so far, and you know how hard it is to replace those guys midseason, so what about Jordan Berry and Chris Boswell?

* Then imagine being one of the guys left off the protected list. How do they feel about being classified as cannon fodder? Think that creates locker room harmony? What kind of team-building does that represent?

* Oh, and since we're quitting on games, coach, when is it OK to quit on the season? Would it come down to having a certain record at a certain milestone of the season, or is it more dependent upon how many games behind the division leader we are at a certain milestone of the season?

* Can I borrow a pen? I want to get all this down so I know when I quit vs. when I'm supposed to fight through adversity and be resilient. Thanks, coach.

Butler: 'The NFL is always a challenge'
Share:
* It goes down in the record books as a 301-yard passing day for rookie Carson Wentz, but that actually is rather deceiving. Wentz finished with 301 yards passing, but only 227 of those actually deserved to be credited with the throwing of the football. The rest of it came from run-after-the-catch, and most of that was because of missed tackles.

* Football often is described, ad nauseum, as a game of fundamentals, and that sure came true in Philadelphia, because the Steelers were terrible in two fundamental areas - tackling and catching the ball - and were crushed as a result.

* Marcus Peters has four interceptions through the first three games of this season. A Steelers cornerback hasn't finished a season with as many as four interceptions since Deshea Townsend had four in 2004.

* Peters was picked No. 18 overall by the Chiefs in 2015. In that same draft, the Steelers had tried to make a trade to get into position to pick cornerback Trae Waynes, but no team was interested in moving down, and the Vikings grabbed Waynes with the No. 11 overall pick. After a rough rookie season in which he made only one start and got called for a bunch of penalties, Waynes has rebounded nicely as a full-time starter who has two interceptions over the first three games for the 3-0 Vikings.

* After missing out on Waynes, the Steelers would have selected Peters when their turn came at No. 22 overall, but the Chiefs thwarted that by pulling the trigger at No. 18.

* With regard to Sunday night's game against the Chiefs, I'm putting the number of touches for Le'Veon Bell at 30, with more being an indication of the game going well for the Steelers. And even though the expectation is for a bunch of those touches to come on receptions, the current state of the Kansas City run defense hints that Bell could end up with A LOT of carries. Maybe he gets to 30 touches just on running plays.

* Bell with 30 carries on Sunday night will mean the Steelers won.

* This Sunday night against the Chiefs could end up being a defining game for these Steelers. Come out and play well, set the tone and execute the fundamentals, and the Steelers should win by a couple of scores. And if that happens, everything is back on track in terms of the expectations for this season.

* Struggle for the victory, or lose, and 2016 will veer off in a completely different direction: A week-to-week struggle whose most likely end would be on the road in the playoffs.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I wouldn't have pulled Ben with 2 minutes remaining in the 3rd Quarter down by 31 points, but I would have mid-way through the 4th.

Call it quitting. So is when a defensive player stops chasing the ball carrier when a TD is obvious. So what?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pull the Goalie... Don't pull Ben.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Proud of the way our boys battled proudly for the last 17 minutes of the game with our starters to keep it at 34-3 against the juggernaut that is Carson Wentz and these Eagles. They showed us what it means not to quit..

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Eagles are 3-0 Charles. They may not be a juggernaut, but they are... well. 3-0.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
In the middle of a fourth-quarter blowout loss when your entire team has been playing like hung over bums, you pull your All Pros.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
In the middle of a fourth-quarter blowout loss when your entire team has been playing like hung over bums, you pull your All Pros.

The questions is:

Would Labriola be defending Tomlin's decision if Ben or AB had just had season ending surgery for an injury suffered late in the 4tb Quarter against the Eagles?

I'm guessing he would not.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
* Peters was picked No. 18 overall by the Chiefs in 2015. In that same draft, the Steelers had tried to make a trade to get into position to pick cornerback Trae Waynes, but no team was interested in moving down, and the Vikings grabbed Waynes with the No. 11 overall pick. After a rough rookie season in which he made only one start and got called for a bunch of penalties, Waynes has rebounded nicely as a full-time starter who has two interceptions over the first three games for the 3-0 Vikings.

yeah.....Labia must just be pulling stats....I watched some Vikesball.....Waynes sucks....the INTS were luck.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
At the point where the game is un-win-able it is no different then a pre-season game. As far as the comment about the message to the other players who are left in. how is it any different then Ben, AB, and Dwill/ Bell sitting preseason while Shazier played often beyond the regular starters.
PS Jarvis Jones sucks

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Belicheat doesn't pull Br*dy and Gronk when they're up 55-3. In fact he keeps Gronk on the kickoff team...where he breaks his arm and is lost for the season...nevermind....

P

POP

Not even worth discussing. It was stupid to leave them in all game. Smart people know sometimes it makes sense to cut your losses and live for another day.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
A steeler comeback would have been ironic since Frank Reich is the Eagles OC

The risk outweighs the potential reward in the case of the Eagles game though. It wasn't a win or go home situation and it was a stupid move on Mr Tomlins part.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Obviously Coach is not executing properly above the neck and his play time should reflect this, guess he was just ready to unleash hell.

It is not quitting but simple math, how long a score will take multiplied by how many scores you need. In a game when players were going down left and right pulling key players with 8-10 minutes left isn't quitting, it's self preservation. Maybe Cool Shades was not getting the idea that if Ben or AB goes down in garbage time we seriously put the coming weeks (where we have potential for wins) at risk.

I'm sure Labia would've unleashed hell had we lost Ben or AB in garbage time. Give the backups some reps and start preparing for winnable games...not the same as quitting.

Cool Shades was just worried Landry would come in and ignite a comeback and start a QB controversy.

Steel G

Reaction score
Even the greatest warriors knew when to fall back. Labs is off his rocker with this one .

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not even worth discussing. It was stupid to leave them in all game. Smart people know sometimes it makes sense to cut your losses and live for another day.

Even the greatest warriors knew when to fall back. Labs is off his rocker with this one .

This. I don't care what a beat writer says - leaving critical players on the field in a blowout was very risky. But, we'll see them (the Eagles) again in the LwoB repuS...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This. I don't care what a beat writer says - leaving critical players on the field in a blowout was very risky. But, we'll see them (the Eagles) again in the LwoB repuS...

So you think the Eagles will be going to the SB? Or is it wishful thinking?

Spike

Reaction score
What is Bob hiding?

Trying to get people to think the bunch of stiffs on defense just had a bad day?

They stink, the secondary can't tackle or defend the pass, the stiffs on the DL are weak up the middle and none of the high draft pick LB's can pass rush to save their ***.

If Ben isn't putting 30+ points a game this team is in trouble every game. End of story.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm normally not a one bad game doom and gloom kind of guy....

but that performance last Sunday was very concerning...what made it most concerning was the play of both lines and how they were physically whooped and consistently overmatched.

This is something that cant be "coached out" of a team...

The confusing part of all this is that I have not seen this so prevalent in this current group of men before...and I don't know about you, but it came as a huge surprise to me...the physical domination by the Eagles at the LOS was totally unexpected by me!

Before last Sunday..I was feeling better than in past seasons about all the upgrades and depth acquisitions, we have made on both sides of the LOS..

As the Moody Blues once sang....

Is this real....or is it an illusion?