• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kinda hard to picture much better linebackers

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Watt, Queen, Roberts, Highsmith, Herbig, Wilson, Holcomb, Robinson. Back in the day it would be blitzburgh. It will be cover and hunt. And to be fair to shades the secondary probably can't play much zero or cover 1.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Watt, Queen, Roberts, Highsmith, Herbig, Wilson, Holcomb, Robinson. Back in the day it would be blitzburgh. It will be cover and hunt. And to be fair to shades the secondary probably can't play much zero or cover 1.
I have to agree ......... I like the return to prominence of a past tradition .....

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand. But to me Watt is maybe the best defender I've ever seen. And I thought the world of Polamalu. And outside of Watt you have a boat load of starting and backup talent.
It is nice to have a stable of guys through the years that allow us such discussions of greatness.
I am hoping Wilson is a Luke Keuchly 2.0 type of guy ............ excited to see some Olineman opening holes for our backs on OFF and a DEF that hunts in packs

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It is nice to have a stable of guys through the years that allow us such discussions of greatness.
I am hoping Wilson is a Luke Keuchly 2.0 type of guy ............ excited to see some Olineman opening holes for our backs on OFF and a DEF that hunts in packs

I agree about the players, but our defensive scheme needs tweaked.

Our BLITZBURGH packages have been gone since the days of Dick L. left.

The 2DL seems to be the more popular set when in short yardage situations or goal line.

Play not to lose, instead ofr forcing them to adjust to us.

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

The 2DL seems to be the more popular set when in short yardage situations or goal line.

Salute the nation
Agree 100%. we cannot rely on having a crazy amount of 1t round picks od D. Other teams know what they are trying to do

Stewey

Reaction score
If any one city should have a sports bar named The Linebacker it should be absolutely, positively be Pittsburgh dammit!!!
Some aspiring businessmen should take note, because others have missed the boat!

Linebacker.jpg

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
If any one city should have a sports bar named The Linebacker it should be absolutely, positively be Pittsburgh dammit!!!
Some aspiring businessmen should take note, because others have missed the boat!

Linebacker.jpg
I don't think you could find a team who's had more badass linebackers than the Steelers.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I understand. But to me Watt is maybe the best defender I've ever seen. And I thought the world of Polamalu. And outside of Watt you have a boat load of starting and backup talent.
Watt is great, but has one major flaw. He over runs the play alot He runs wide or gets pushed wide and then loses the edge. I think the Steelers record w/o Watt speaks for itself i just wish he wouldnt run out wide so much

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Watt is great, but has one major flaw. He over runs the play alot He runs wide or gets pushed wide and then loses the edge. I think the Steelers record w/o Watt speaks for itself i just wish he wouldnt run out wide so much
It feels like the entire Steelers defense does this to generate pressure and as a result the run defense suffers. To me it feels more of a scheme/philosophy as the defense will risk making a mistake on a run play for the reward of getting a sack or a TFL.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
But it's all a piece of the puzzle. He takes that wide speed rush to force the over set and then comes inside and either scores or is held.

Stewey

Reaction score
So is that why he didn't win DPOY?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my favorites.

Harrison wasn't playing dirty, he was pissed at the Cardinal because he went straight for Harrisons knees.

james-harrison.gif
Guy wanted no part of Deebo.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I really hope Holcomb is able to return to form. I was pleasantly surprised at how good he was.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

I'd like to see some defensive adjustments too, but Payton Wilson is the kind of player who can help any defensive coordinator look smart. That guy is going to be all over the field -- can't wait to watch him play for the Steelers.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Very good group of LBers that’s for sure. Solid players at every level on defense. Highest paid defense too.
Now to the reality! Look who is leading that defense, Tomlin and the infamous Terrell Austin.
Play not to lose mentality!
Now you want a great defensive mind, look no further than KC’s Steve Spagnuolo whose defense played lights out last year. They were the main reason KC won another SB when Mahomes had not one of his banner super seasons. He played well but that defense was the catalyst for that team.
Young, fast, aggressive with what, one or two big name players. And one of the least expensive defenses in the league.
Yeah, coaching does matter. The best coordinators do matter.