• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kick / Punt Returner Battle

C

Clete

I loved the Ayers pick, he is very elusive and very polished as a WR and that is a bonus if he can take the PR job.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I loved the Ayers pick, he is very elusive and very polished as a WR and that is a bonus if he can take the PR job.

Especially the fact that he was picked in the 7th round. And we seem to have some late round gems in the WR area. Let's hope this one works out like some of the others.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
includes Peach Bowl highlights

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
or watch UH vs Memphis...Ward Jr goes down in the 1st half and the coogs still ralley from 20 down in the 4th quarter to stay undefeated....

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut.

:chuncky:

Then I have a huge pile. TMC wasn't always right. More often than not, I was when we disagreed in a gentleman's type of way. I liked the guy a lot. He's a good writer and researcher.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Then I have a huge pile. TMC wasn't always right. More often than not, I was when we disagreed in a gentleman's type of way. I liked the guy a lot. He's a good writer and researcher.

I am positive the majority of people here would disagree with that statement.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I am positive the majority of people here would disagree with that statement.

Tell him I'm back then. He might come out of retirement. Thomas ( TMC ) was a good poster.

The majority of posters here will take a rosy story as TMC often wrote, rather than an objective minded opinion that might not be ideal for the Steelers.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
wig the writer is not referring to "running sideways", he is talking about his elusiveness. He makes guys miss.......follow the link in my first post and watch the Gif the writer posts of Ayers on a punt return....

Looks like you got a player to root for Coolie, here's hopin' he pans out, we damn sure need a good return man after Tomlin misused Dri so badly.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Some Ayers news.
It's day five of camp and Demarcus Ayers has still yet to catch a pass in team drills. He’s the only receiver who hasn’t. - Alex Korza

Sorry Coolie. He's too small and too slow. Our QB's are completing something like 70% of their passes as a group and it's not like our DB's are very good.

Eli Rogers looks to have the edge for the 5th WR spot.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Some Ayers news.

Sorry Coolie. He's too small and too slow. Our QB's are completing something like 70% of their passes as a group and it's not like our DB's are very good.

They have thrown his way twice in team drills. Rogers always had the edge since he has a year under his belt.

He is showing his quickness in individual drills and when the preseason games start hopefully he can make some plays.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Some Ayers news.

I know we are supposed to refrain from name calling but you are such a DICK.

Rogers is running with Ben or Landry and has been getting first team reps since last year. Ayers is playing with Vaughn and Gradowski maybe that plays a role too. NOBODY has said the young man is too slow or small. When does your NEED to be right ever stop???

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Punt Return Battle To Be Determined In Stadiums, Not On Fields

SteelersTrainingCampDay3-3028

BY ALEX KOZORA AUGUST 4, 2016 AT 08:30 AM
You know exactly how I feel about Antonio Brown and punt returns. He should be the starter, no questions asked. It’s what AB wants, it’s what Danny Smith wants. But if we don’t get what we want, there’s a true battle on hand. Eli Rogers squaring off with Demarcus Ayers.

We’ve talked a good bit about them throughout the first five days in camp. Both have flashed though it’s obvious Rogers is ahead of him. But like almost any other situation, these stories will really unfold in stadiums. Not Chuck Noll Field.

For the offense and defense, you can glean something in team drills. They may all be teammates, but once the ball is snapped, all that is forgotten. This camp has been aggressive, spirited, with big hits shared around.

Special teams? You’re just not going to come close to the level of intensity you’ll experience in a game. On returns in camp, there’s no tackling. The coverage unit wears red and green caps. Danny Smith is there to coach them up as soon as the play ends.

So even when a guy like Rogers looks “good” and earned praise from Mike Tomlin in camp, it means very little. Judging these players will require watching them throughout the four preseason games. To be put on an island, on the field all by themselves, with 50,000 opposing fans breathing down their neck. Not 4,000 Steelers’ fans at St. Vincent College. It’s just impossible to come close to recreating that environment anywhere else.

All that said, the story we wrote can change in an instant. Sure, maybe Rogers proves he is the guy, at least, over Ayers. But all it takes is one muffed return from Rogers – who still hasn’t played in an NFL game – and one solid return from Ayers, and we’re all talking about a drastically different battle. Or at least, storyline.

Who knows how it’ll play out. It’ll be fun to watch, both are talented guys and have shown glimpses of it, but it’s important to remember the context, especially in a battle like this.

Also, Antonio Brown should really be the team’s starting punt returner. Sorry, I had to.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I know we are supposed to refrain from name calling but you are such a DICK.

Rogers is running with Ben or Landry and has been getting first team reps since last year. Ayers is playing with Vaughn and Gradowski maybe that plays a role too. NOBODY has said the young man is too slow or small. When does your NEED to be right ever stop???

Then don't name call or at least be more creative when you do it. Got it Richard?

I said Ayers is too small and too slow. He is. By chance are you a math guy? Let's put it this way, how many starting return men in the NFLare 5'9" tall and run a 4.60 forty ( His pro day time )? I don't profess to know, but I would guess maybe 1 or zero. There you have the odds. Well see if Ayers can buck them, but it's clear Rodgers has an edge for the 5th WR spot, and if Rodgers return ability is near even with Ayers, it's an easy call who makes the roster

With kickoffs these days often resulting in touch backs it, a spot for a return man only is a luxury, and that luxury would have to be nearly as good or better than Wheaton or Brown.

As I said before, I'd like to see what Coates can do as a kickoff man. Maybe DHB as well.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's pretty safe to say that Ayers' 4.7 40 is not indicative of his actual time. Conservatively, I think he runs a 4.5.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Rodgers play has nothing to do with Ayers athletic abilities.

Where has anyone who has watched practice said Ayers is too slow? Can you find one report one tweet stating that Ayers is not going to make the team because of his athletic ability.

I can find some saying the opposite

DDemarcus Ayers shows some really impressive explosion to jet away from Sean Davis downfield, making a catch down the sideline.

Demarcus Ayers breaks down in a hurry, shaking loss Shabazz, and makes the grab. Shabazz took a long time to gather himself.

Senquez Golson has tight coverage on Ayers all the way but Ayers makes a diving grab on an out route. Ayers has solid hands and makes tough catches.

Sean Davis mirrors Ayers well off the line of scrimmage but Ayers gets away on an out.

Demarcus Ayers broke Jordan Dangerfield’s ankles badly on a PCP (Post-Corner-Post) route from the slot during one 11v11 period, but quarterback Dustin Vaughan missed the wide-open rookie

Now find me one that supports your statement that Ayers will not make the team because he is too slow. If he doesn't it will be because Rodgers is better..

And I don't have to be more creative that name perfectly describes you and your habit to change any and everything to be right

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
so Rogers at 5'10" 182# with a 4.57 40 time is that much bigger and faster than Ayers (who ran a 4.58 at his Pro day)

They are basically the same player. They use their quickness to get open and match catches. Ayers has shown in individual drills that he can beat these guys and make tough catches. Give him some time on the field with Ben and he will make receptions in team drills...hell have any of the QBs target him more...2 targets so far......It is early in camp and yes Rogers seems to be ahead, but he started out ahead of Ayers since he has been around a year. I have said several times it will be a longshot for him to make the team and to do so he will have to do in by being the best in the return game or at least very close to AB....

and the return battle will be decided on the field as the preseason games get going.

if you want to stick to your "small and slow" argument you better hope someone bigger and faster than Rogers wins the 5th WR spot over Ayers....

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
so Rogers at 5'10" 182# with a 4.57 40 time is that much bigger and faster than Ayers (who ran a 4.58 at his Pro day)

They are basically the same player. They use their quickness to get open and match catches. Ayers has shown in individual drills that he can beat these guys and make tough catches. Give him some time on the field with Ben and he will make receptions in team drills...hell have any of the QBs target him more...2 targets so far......It is early in camp and yes Rogers seems to be ahead, but he started out ahead of Ayers since he has been around a year. I have said several times it will be a longshot for him to make the team and to do so he will have to do in by being the best in the return game or at least very close to AB....

and the return battle will be decided on the field as the preseason games get going.

if you want to stick to your "small and slow" argument you better hope someone bigger and faster than Rogers wins the 5th WR spot over Ayers....

Coolie,

Remember I wanted to sign Devin Hester as the return man.

I never said Rodgers will be a good return man, but he's making plays in camp at WR so there's his value. Ayers has yet to catch a pass.

Rodgers pro day #'s are below. It reads 187, not 182, but he's small too.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119984&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

If Bryant wasn't suspended, both these guys would be gunning for the practice squad.

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Coolie,

Remember I wanted to sign Devin Hester as the return man.

I never said Rodgers will be a good return man, but he's making plays in camp at WR so there's his value. Ayers has yet to catch a pass.

Rodgers pro day #'s are below. It reads 187, not 182, but he's small too.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119984&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

If Bryant was suspended, both these guys would be gunning for the practice squad.

Ayers has been targeted twice in team drills by QBs who threw bad passes..he has caught plenty of passes in individual drills...he has made plenty of tough catches also....

Hester would be no where close to the return man that AB so his shot at making the team would be about the same as Rogers and Ayers.....you may have wanted Hester but now you are trumpeting Rogers as if he is "bigger and faster" than my boy Ayers....and trying to give him the job before any game action for either of them.....

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ayers has been targeted twice in team drills by QBs who threw bad passes..he has caught plenty of passes in individual drills...he has made plenty of tough catches also....

Hester would be no where close to the return man that AB so his shot at making the team would be about the same as Rogers and Ayers.....you may have wanted Hester but now you are trumpeting Rogers as if he is "bigger and faster" than my boy Ayers....and trying to give him the job before any game action for either of them.....

Were you there to see this in team drills? What's the source for this information? If Ayers can make big returns in the pre-season, he'll be embraced.

Hester averaged 26.1 per kickoff last year.

The year before he had 13.3 per punt return, which is excellent and 25.1 per kickoff.

Brown might be near uncoverable as a WR, but as a punt return man, he averaged 9.6 yards per return.

Clearly, Hester if healthy is the better option as a pure return man.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Were you there to see this in team drills? What's the source for this information? If Ayers can make big returns in the pre-season, he'll be embraced.

Hester averaged 26.1 per kickoff last year.

The year before he had 13.3 per punt return, which is excellent and 25.1 per kickoff.

Brown might be near uncoverable as a WR, but as a punt return man, he averaged 9.6 yards per return.

Clearly, Hester if healthy is the better option as a pure return man.

Were you there too determine that the reason he won't make the team is that he is too small or too slow.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
in the camp news thread the "stats" were posted....if I remember correctly it was from steelers depot. it shows Ayers has no catches on two attempts with no drops...

IF hester is healthy...then why was he cut?