• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kevin Greene will receive his Hall of Fame ring in Pittsburgh

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Posted by Zac Jackson on July 14, 2016, 4:50 PM EDT

Outside linebacker Kevin Greene goes into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio next month.

On a conference call Thursday, Greene told reporters that he’ll receive his Hall of Fame ring later this year in Pittsburgh and that he considers himself “always a Steeler.”

Greene played for the Rams, Steelers, Panthers and 49ers over the course of his 15-year career.

Baseball Hall of Famers choose a team upon induction because their busts wear caps, and one logo must be chosen. Pro Football Hall of Famers aren’t inducted as members of a team, no matter how many different teams for which they played.

Greene is simply choosing the Steelers over the Rams, for whom he played his first eight seasons, for his official ring ceremony. The Rams drafted Greene in the fifth round in 1985.

“Yes, I’ve been approached by the Ram organization to do something similar, but I think at this point it is expressly understood that I’m really gonna receive my ring there at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh,” Greene said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

“Really that was the pinnacle of my career there in Pittsburgh. We had the right attitude on defense. We had great weapons all-around. I played with Hall of Famers…just really the time of my life. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler.”

Greene had 160 career sacks. He had consecutive 16.5 sack seasons with the Rams in 1988-89. He had 35.5 total sacks in his three years (1993-95) with the Steelers and had two of his five Pro Bowl seasons in Pittsburgh.

My comments

Once a Steeler always a Steeler yeah boy !

368674c393ab575f6a5ec9e50ca23505.jpg

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
It didn’t take Kevin Greene long to determine that he was going to sign with the Steelers as a free agent in 1993.
Only about 15 minutes after getting in a room with Bill Cowher and Dom Capers, as a matter of fact, Greene said on a conference call with reporters Thursday afternoon in advance of his Aug. 6 enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Greene, ever the orator, told a magnificent story of Cowher picking him up from the airport and the two driving through the Fort Pitt Tunnel, which led to the conversation at Three Rivers Stadium.

“We come out on the other side, and boom, there is the City of Pittsburgh, in all of its majesty and glory,” Greene recalled. “I knew within 15 minutes, talking to coach Cowher and Dom there as he drew some things up on the board, that I found my home. This is where I want to be.

“It wasn’t money to me. It was me finding a place that played this defense (a 3-4), and I knew the history of Pittsburgh, the fact that it had a rich history of kicking people’s (butts) and winning championships.”

Greene never won a Super Bowl as a Steeler — something else he talked about — but he did rack up a lot of sacks. The outside linebacker accumulated 35.5 over three seasons, the second-most for a three-year stretch in Steelers’ history.

In total, Greene recorded double-digit sacks 10 times, led the league twice (1994 and 1996) and finished with 160.0, the third-most all-time.

Despite also playing for the Los Angeles Rams (1985-92), the Carolina Panthers (1996, 1998-99) and the San Francisco 49ers (1997), Greene will be honored by the Steelers with a special ring ceremony during their Sunday Night Football game against Kansas City on Oct. 2.

“Once a Steeler, always a Steeler,” Greene said.

To make the ceremony happen, Greene said approached Steelers chairman Dan Rooney.

“I told Mr. Rooney that I played eight seasons for the Rams, three for the Steelers, three for the Panthers and one for the 49ers, but the time of my life were those three years I spent as a Steeler,” Greene said.

Greene added that “I bleed black and gold” and that, although he’s been approached by the Los Angeles Rams to hold a similar event, “it’s expressly understood that I’m really going to receive my ring at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.”

The Steelers lost to the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX to cap Greene’s final season in Pittsburgh.

Coming up short in that game, and never winning a championship here, produced one of Greene’s more colorful answers.

“We had the right brotherhood to do something special,” Greene said of that team. “For us not to bring the Lombardi Trophy to Pittsburgh and Steelers Nation, it’s a sad deal. That will haunt me. Because that was everything we were playing for.

“I know this. My three years there, me and my brothers, we kicked a lot of (butt). We didn’t win the big one. I got that. We kicked a lot of (butt). It was fun with my teammates. That’s as good as it gets. … the zenith of my career.”

It’s crazy to think that Greene signed in Pittsburgh for $5.35 million over three years. What a difference from modern-day free agent contracts for edge rushers. That was also the first year of free agency.

After a coaching change in Los Angeles, the Rams were using a 4-3 system that didn’t fit Greene’s skill set.

He shopped around during free agency, the Steelers being one of the most obvious choices, and Greene even had a meeting scheduled with the Redskins the next day. Greene canceled later it.

“I know I pissed off a lot of people in Washington,” Greene said. “But I just knew. I trusted my gut that Pittsburgh was the place that I needed to be.”

Some other highlights:

• Capers will present Greene in Canton.

“Dom has had a tremendous impact on my football career and my family, providing for my family very well over the years,” Greene said. “I’ve known him and his wife, Karen, since 1993. Just love them both.”

• Clay Matthews III, whom Greene coached in Green Bay, and Houston’s J.J. Watt are two of Greene’s favorite active players.

“I look at J.J. and see his heart, passion and love for the game,” Greene said. “That’s how I was able to play and be productive. I wasn’t the most athletic or gifted out there.”

• Greene’s older brother, Keith, died at age 51 of colon cancer back in 2012. The younger Greene got choked up when asked about what Keith would say and the impact he had on Kevin.

“Just the best older brother a younger brother could have,” Kevin said.

• Not having a single knee surgery was one reason Greene gave for his longevity. A few others included his ability to study and diagnose a defense and how seriously he took football.

“I didn’t burn the candle at both ends,” Greene said. “All my habits, I think, were spot-on. That coupled with the blessing from the Lord, keeping me healthy, I was able to play my passion out.”

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Those 4 made up one hell of a LB core. Rock solid from top to bottom. If freakin Brown hadn't jumped ship for Seattle and Lloyd wouldn't have broken down physically who knows what could of happened.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Those 4 made up one hell of a LB core. Rock solid from top to bottom. If freakin Brown hadn't jumped ship for Seattle and Lloyd wouldn't have broken down physically who knows what could of happened.

Was't it the dreaded staph infection for Lloyd?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Was't it the dreaded staph infection for Lloyd?

I think it was. He had a pretty serious leg injury and then had to battle the infection during his recovery. I just remember the reports of him losing tons of weight and not being able to put it back on. That's when I knew it wasn't good. I don't think his leg ever healed completely either.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting.. from

Can Steelers Recover From Lloyd's Injury?
By TIMOTHY W. SMITH
Published: September 3, 1996
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
GOOGLE+
EMAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS
The Steelers, the defending American Football Conference champions, are reeling one game into the season. Linebacker Greg Lloyd is gone for the year with a torn patella tendon in his left knee and Jim Miller, who won the quarterback derby in the preseason, was benched in Pittsburgh's 24-9 loss to Jacksonville in Sunday's opener.

Last season the Steelers were able to recover from the seasonlong loss of the All-Pro cornerback Rod Woodson and a four-game injury-related absence of quarterback Neil O'Donnell. But the team's current state of affairs may be too much to overcome. Lloyd gives the Steelers' defensive front its bite and Miller, who was starting his first game of his three-year career, is no O'Donnell.

''We're on a very fine line,'' Coach Bill Cowher said. ''We're going to be walking it week in and week out. We recognize that.''

Lloyd, a 10-year veteran (five Pro Bowls), led the team in tackles last season with 117. He injured his knee when he became engaged with Jacksonville tackle Brian DeMarco and twisted it in an awkward position. A magnetic resonance imaging scan yesterday showed what the Steelers' team doctors had feared: a torn patella tendon. No date for surgery has been set.

Compounding the Steelers' problems, two other linebackers, Jason Gildon and Steven Conley, went down with sprained right knees and could miss the next two games. And remember, Pittsburgh began the season without defensive end Ray Seals, who is out for the year with a torn rotator cuff.

When Woodson went down last year in the season opener, the Steelers had adequate depth in the secondary to cover for his loss. Safety Carnell Lake was shifted to cornerback and Willie Williams emerged as a good cover man. With Gildon and Conley both down, the Steelers don't have the same depth at linebacker as they had in the secondary.

The Steelers also have salary-cap considerations in the event they wanted to make a trade for a linebacker. Last June, Lloyd signed a three-year, $11.2 million contract extension that included a $3.2 million signing bonus. It made him one of the league's highest-paid linebackers.

Miller will be replaced by Mike Tomczak for Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens. Cowher was dismayed at some poor passes by Miller, particularly one he overthrew to tight end Mark Bruener, who was open in the end zone. He also bounced a potential touchdown pass to Andre Hastings off the ground. After the Hastings pass, Cowher benched Miller and went with Tomczak, whose first play from scrimmage was an interception.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think it was. He had a pretty serious leg injury and then had to battle the infection during his recovery. I just remember the reports of him losing tons of weight and not being able to put it back on. That's when I knew it wasn't good. I don't think his leg ever healed completely either.

I had the same thing with my shoulder. I can see how it could knock Lloyd out of football.

Supersteeler

Reaction score

By TIMOTHY W. SMITH
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
GOOGLE+
EMAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS
The Steelers, the defending American Football Conference champions, are reeling one game into the season. Linebacker Greg Lloyd is gone for the year with a torn patella tendon in his left knee and Jim Miller, who won the quarterback derby in the preseason, was benched in Pittsburgh's 24-9 loss to Jacksonville in Sunday's opener.

Last season the Steelers were able to recover from the seasonlong loss of the All-Pro cornerback Rod Woodson and a four-game injury-related absence of quarterback Neil O'Donnell. But the team's current state of affairs may be too much to overcome. Lloyd gives the Steelers' defensive front its bite and Miller, who was starting his first game of his three-year career, is no O'Donnell.

''We're on a very fine line,'' Coach Bill Cowher said. ''We're going to be walking it week in and week out. We recognize that.''

Lloyd, a 10-year veteran (five Pro Bowls), led the team in tackles last season with 117. He injured his knee when he became engaged with Jacksonville tackle Brian DeMarco and twisted it in an awkward position. A magnetic resonance imaging scan yesterday showed what the Steelers' team doctors had feared: a torn patella tendon. No date for surgery has been set.

Compounding the Steelers' problems, two other linebackers, Jason Gildon and Steven Conley, went down with sprained right knees and could miss the next two games. And remember, Pittsburgh began the season without defensive end Ray Seals, who is out for the year with a torn rotator cuff.

When Woodson went down last year in the season opener, the Steelers had adequate depth in the secondary to cover for his loss. Safety Carnell Lake was shifted to cornerback and Willie Williams emerged as a good cover man. With Gildon and Conley both down, the Steelers don't have the same depth at linebacker as they had in the secondary.

The Steelers also have salary-cap considerations in the event they wanted to make a trade for a linebacker. Last June, Lloyd signed a three-year, $11.2 million contract extension that included a $3.2 million signing bonus. It made him one of the league's highest-paid linebackers.

Miller will be replaced by Mike Tomczak for Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens. Cowher was dismayed at some poor passes by Miller, particularly one he overthrew to tight end Mark Bruener, who was open in the end zone. He also bounced a potential touchdown pass to Andre Hastings off the ground. After the Hastings pass, Cowher benched Miller and went with Tomczak, whose first play from scrimmage was an interception.

Wow...Jimmy Miller. Talk about a blast from the past.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I had the same thing with my shoulder. I can see how it could knock Lloyd out of football.

I think he tried to come back with the Panthers (?) briefly but it was no good. I think I remember them saying that his strength and size still hadn't returned and that leg was still not healed properly. Shame, he put the fear into opposing players that was Lambert-esque in his prime.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Wow...Jimmy Miller. Talk about a blast from the past.

I think Cowher made a big mistake not letting him continue to play. After all, it was his first start. Gotta work out the jitters. I also think he realized it, and that's why he had so much patience with Kordell.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Thanks, Kevin. Most fans were sorry to see you go in free agency. The lack of stadium revenue at the time was given as the excuse.

P

POP

Posted by Zac Jackson on July 14, 2016, 4:50 PM EDT

Outside linebacker Kevin Greene goes into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio next month.

On a conference call Thursday, Greene told reporters that he’ll receive his Hall of Fame ring later this year in Pittsburgh and that he considers himself “always a Steeler.”

Greene played for the Rams, Steelers, Panthers and 49ers over the course of his 15-year career.

Baseball Hall of Famers choose a team upon induction because their busts wear caps, and one logo must be chosen. Pro Football Hall of Famers aren’t inducted as members of a team, no matter how many different teams for which they played.

Greene is simply choosing the Steelers over the Rams, for whom he played his first eight seasons, for his official ring ceremony. The Rams drafted Greene in the fifth round in 1985.

“Yes, I’ve been approached by the Ram organization to do something similar, but I think at this point it is expressly understood that I’m really gonna receive my ring there at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh,” Greene said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

“Really that was the pinnacle of my career there in Pittsburgh. We had the right attitude on defense. We had great weapons all-around. I played with Hall of Famers…just really the time of my life. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler.”

Greene had 160 career sacks. He had consecutive 16.5 sack seasons with the Rams in 1988-89. He had 35.5 total sacks in his three years (1993-95) with the Steelers and had two of his five Pro Bowl seasons in Pittsburgh.

My comments

Once a Steeler always a Steeler yeah boy !

368674c393ab575f6a5ec9e50ca23505.jpg

One of the best group of 4 LBs to ever play together. They approach the greatness of that Saint LB group with Mills and Jackson., Swilling, Johnson.

P

POP

Thanks, Kevin. Most fans were sorry to see you go in free agency. The lack of stadium revenue at the time was given as the excuse.

No, actually the reason was we had a 3rd-round draft pick (Gildon) waiting in the wings who would do the job much cheaper. I remember Greene saying it was time for Jason to fill the role when he left.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He (Kevin) was awesome and I loved him I as a STEELERS player. TOTAL respected player. Part of what made us click.

Salute the nation

chipped ham

Reaction score

By TIMOTHY W. SMITH
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
GOOGLE+
EMAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

Out of all this, I only took away this: Last June, Lloyf signed a three-year $11.2 million contract extension with a $3.2 million signing bonus making him one of the leagues highest-paid players. One day after Von Miller inked a $115 million extension. My oh my how times have changed.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What does a hall of fame ring look like?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they care more about jackets than rings...

jacket_pg_600.jpg