• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Keion Adams and Javon Hargrave already have chemistry together.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1787982-crazy-bend-steelers-rookie-pass-rusher

Keion Adams fitting in with Steelers
Jim Wexell
JIM WEXELL
Yesterday at 9:20 AM
Keion Adams has a close friend with the Steelers who respectfully describes the rookie's attributes as 'crazy' and 'stupid.'

Desmond Adams rushed for over 1,300 yards back in 1995 and won the North Carolina 100-meter sprint championship the following spring, and he passed some of that speed along to his son, Keion Adams, who's now with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Keion, though, isn't built like a halfback/sprinter. He weighed 210 pounds as a sophomore at Salisbury (N.C.) High and played linebacker and fullback. That extra bulk helped him in the intense 2010 rivalry game against nearby North Rowan High School and its 270-pound defensive tackle, Javon Hargrave.
"I got him good," Adams said of his current teammate with the Steelers. "I was at fullback and I had a play-action fake on the back side. It was either me block him or let him sack the quarterback on a play-action play. So I caught him one time. I definitely wouldn't say I put him on his back. It was a stalemate. I did my job. We completed the pass for a first down."
And it helped lead Salisbury to a 33-15 win on its way to the Class 2-A North Carolina state championship.
Hargrave's remembrance of that play?
"He says he blocked me once," Hargrave said. "I guess he did."
It was a much bigger moment for Adams because Hargrave was something of an idol. Or, as Adams put it, "I always watched him from afar, really didn't let him know that he was an inspiration in my life. But I think he kind of knew based on how much we followed him around."
"We" was comprised of Adams and Adams' best friend, T.J. Bates, who is Hargrave's younger brother. They were two years younger than Hargrave, who preferred they just left him alone.
"Especially when we annoyed him to be mean," Adams said. "But there were a lot of things I imitated of him, in regard to how he practiced and how he went about life. I definitely call him my brother and I would think he would say the same thing."
Hargrave went on to lead North Rowan High to the Class 1-A North Carolina state basketball championship that school year, so they both have state gold in common. Now they have their pro careers in common with the Steelers. Hargrave was a third-round draft pick out of South Carolina State last year and became the starting nose tackle. Adams was this year's seventh-round draft pick as an outside linebacker out of Western Michigan. The two shared an incoherent phone call following the Steelers' selection of Adams.
"He was too excited so we didn't really talk much," said Hargrave. "We were just yelling and stuff. It was a good moment."
"Yeah, we were," said Adams. "My mom was sitting beside me, and right after I got off the phone with Coach Tomlin, Javon was the first person I called. From him being there as an older brother, I had to call him. So when I called him, the first thing I did was start yelling and then we were yelling back and forth. We didn't really say much. It was crazy. It was exciting.
"There were definitely a lot of emotions on that day. Just to see two guys make it from similar situations, from an environment that, really, a lot of people don't make it out of, and to end up being on the same team, and to be best friends coming in, it's something you really can't plan. I'm just thankful to be here and hopefully I'll be here for a long time."
The Bloods and Crips are the prominent gangs of the many in Salisbury, a city of about 34,000.
"There are a lot of things in the city that people get involved with, as far as negative activity," Adams said. "They don't really have anything to do as far as having a job or after-school programs, so they get lost up into the street world and this nonsense, and the violence, and once you get lost into that there's really no way out of it. I'm just glad that I had guys like Javon to set an example. He showed me there's more to life than what's going on here in Salisbury, North Carolina."
Adams made the decision to get away from it all by attending Western Michigan, where he started one game as a freshman in 2013, three as a sophomore, seven as a junior, and then last year, as a full-time starter, led the MAC in tackles-for-loss with 18, led his team in sacks with 7.5, had 12 quarterback hurries and forced three fumbles. He was named to the 2016 All-MAC Second Team as a down lineman and drew the Steelers' interest with what Hargrave calls "crazy bend" for an outside linebacker prospect.
The Steelers were one of five teams Adams visited, following a pro day at which Adams measured 6-2, 247 and ran a 4.7 40 (with 27 reps, 36 vj, 10-4 bj).
Of the five he had visited, Adams hoped to land with the Steelers.
"Yeah, I did, ever since I knew (Hargrave) was here," Adams said. "And just being around and watching football all my life, you see the way the Pittsburgh organization has taken the NFL by storm as really one of the top programs with a legacy in the NFL. Just to be a part of the rich tradition and the rich culture was everything to me. I knew coming into the situation they were the best fit for the way I play as an outside linebacker, so naturally once I saw him on the team, along with the other stuff, I just felt like it was the place I wanted to be and that it would be exactly where I needed to be if I wanted to really thrive and not just be one of those guys who bounce from team to team. I know I really want to be in here and be a part of this team."
Hargrave believes Adams has a chance because of what Hargrave described as Adams' "crazy bend."
"He'll get around the edge." Hargrave said. "And he has a stupid get-off. We used to train with each other in the summertime sometimes, so I've seen that about him. Real good quick-twitch type of guy."
Adams' position coach, Joey Porter, said that Adams "has shown us good things. He's picking up the defense fairly well. I'm excited about his growth so far."
As for Adams, he's feeling comfortable enough to call Hargrave "Wobble," a nickname bequeathed upon Hargrave last year by veterans, and one he doesn't particularly like.
"He didn't like me saying it at first," said Adams. "But I used it so much he was just like, 'Oh, you know, you got it.'"
Does Adams feel after the spring that he's "got it"?
"I definitely think my athleticism shows," he said during the final week of practice. "Coming into it I just wanted to show that I'm not just a one-down player, as far as a pass-rusher. I definitely want to show I'm a two-way player, as far as a run-stopper, and I can be out there playing every down. I definitely think my athleticism shows. I just have to hone it in and make sure I do everything the Steelers are asking me to do."

MY TWO AND A HALF CENTS:

Obviously it is no forgone conclusion that Adams will make the final 53. But I wouldn't necessarily bet against it.

the why's

*Obviously there is chemistry there with Hargrave, and I am sure he will help Adams out as much as he can.

* Although he came from a small school, his doesn't look short on athleticism.

* Last year the Steelers put what looked like a LB with potential on the PS. And another team signed him. If this years version shows similar promise or hell even has a better showing in preseason? I am not so sure they will be willing to take that risk. I guess we'll see.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
this dude needs to be working with Deebo and DuPree while letting Hargraves keep him out of trouble off the field.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
this dude needs to be working with Deebo and DuPree while letting Hargraves keep him out of trouble off the field.

You're right, thin Man can't be doing fat man drills

Salute the nation