• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kahn/Weidel Drafts

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy yinz. Happy draft week. Observing this years draft and noting on last years with this duo, they have done a very good job so far. They have made solid draft choices so far with minimal reaching as we have experienced for years. I appreciate the attention to the trenches, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Jones, Frazier and Troy could all be part of a solid line for the next 5-10 years. Although I would’ve loved to have seen Rattler in the 3rd-but maybe I’ll see it in the 4th. I don’t think Kahn/Weidel are done yet after this draft. I think it is safe to say we will see an impressive signing or trade before camp. As far as drafting, These 2 have done a very good job.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy yinz. Happy draft week. Observing this years draft and noting on last years with this duo, they have done a very good job so far. They have made solid draft choices so far with minimal reaching as we have experienced for years. I appreciate the attention to the trenches, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Jones, Frazier and Troy could all be part of a solid line for the next 5-10 years. Although I would’ve loved to have seen Rattler in the 3rd-but maybe I’ll see it in the 4th. I don’t think Kahn/Weidel are done yet after this draft. I think it is safe to say we will see an impressive signing or trade before camp. As far as drafting, These 2 have done a very good job.
From what I see so far we need a number 2 WR and a pass rushing OLBer. Plus I am not sure they want to depend on two rookies at WR even if they double up today.

I think we will see at least these two positions addressed in free agency. Possible an inside corner as well.

bigben

Reaction score
This draft feels like we are getting unbelievable value with every pick so far. Almost feels like stealing. But
They should call him "Riverboat Kahn" between last years draft, free agency, and this years draft the number of old players and young players with significant injury history, is alarming. Not one guy stands out but the collective risk of them all combined is not ideal.
That said I'm very optimistic on the run game with the first two picks, and Roman Wilson could be the speed and hands we've been missing for so long.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed---they are doing a great job imo..

Now ---I am just hoping for a trade before camp starts for a legit number 2 veteran receiver....

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
You would have rather seen Rattler than either Wilson in the third? No thanks. If they want to take a QB, then Jordan Travis is the choice if he's still available in the 6th round.

SteveA

Reaction score
ALL our draft picks and FA signings & trade acquisitions are either PHYSICAL And/or FAST

We’re not just getting PHYSICAL we are getting FAST

Last edited:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You know me. I usually complain. I can't complain. Sat where they were got what they needed. If a Bona fide one receiver was in reach I think that is a bigger need. Other then that they got a guy who I think is as good as most said they should take in the 1st round at Center. It Will take sone time to gell but I believe this team will take back the LOS. They have a veteran Q that should make up for some talent issues at wr with a good run game. Coverage is gonna still be an issue but if you can control the ball you can sit back in zone and wait for mistakes. Pretty much the way they play anyhow.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They aren't messing around with the offensive line anymore. The Steelers are going to be physical up front and it'll pay off for the running backs and whoever plays QB. Last year had a little more sizzle with the picks and this year is a team building draft. Get a couple of studs for the offensive line and just find top talent available with the rest of the picks. The Steelers didn't force for need after the first three picks and that's smart. The later in the draft, the more you should look to find contributors anywhere on the field.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
They aren't messing around with the offensive line anymore. The Steelers are going to be physical up front and it'll pay off for the running backs and whoever plays QB. Last year had a little more sizzle with the picks and this year is a team building draft. Get a couple of studs for the offensive line and just find top talent available with the rest of the picks. The Steelers didn't force for need after the first three picks and that's smart. The later in the draft, the more you should look to find contributors anywhere on the field.
I still hear that assistant GM comment in my head you draft with the mindset you are looking for starters. That includes as you go through the rounds not altering course.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
There will always be the Tomlin in the way issue and it literally makes me shake my head that guys this smart can't see that problem. However, they are building a contender in my opinion.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
why are all the supposed issues in the draft Tomlin's fault?

none of us are in the room and have no real idea what the dynamics are. The draft is supposed to be the GMs job with input from Tomlin, scouting and the Rooneys

all this other **** is pure speculation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I still hear that assistant GM comment in my head you draft with the mindset you are looking for starters. That includes as you go through the rounds not altering course.
That's exactly what they did with their last two picks and I love it. Maybe these guys amount to nothing, I just like they're both athletic for their positions and have the upside to start.

Steelmann

Reaction score

none of us are in the room and have no real idea what the dynamics are. The draft is supposed to be the GMs job with input from Tomlin, scouting and the Rooneys

Yes….i kind of chuckle when I hear everything is all CMT’s fault. Like all picks are made by him and him alone. Of course when a guy like TJ gets picked,you never hear great pick by Mike. Years ago I was questioning The whole Teams philosophy from Kevin to ownership,to coaching.

It’s not just a one man show. Obviously with Kahn and Wiedel as the newer hires the philosophy has changed. The GM can and should be the architect of the team. With the power to change and have last say Over any coach. Including,I might add,the termination or hire of any coach. When many were blaming Tomlin for not firing Canada,I was blaming the GM. And yes….i blame Tomlin for hiring him in the first place,but the final say should come from the GM.

I have no idea if Tomlin had a bit too much power in the years before Kahn. I do think KC was a very good GM in his first 3/4 of his tenure. Then really fell off. To blame Tomlin for absolutely everything is ridiculous.

And for all the posters that will say you’re a Tomlin apologist (actually one guy in particular) I firmly believed In a new coach after the Tebow disaster. Many years ago. And have said it many times. I never thought he would get the team over the hump with his on the field Philosophy. And he has not done anything to change my mind. Playing safe,turtle ball in the last playoff game was just another prime example.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

You know how it goes. Tomlin picks the busts. someone else picks guys like TJ. not sure who but someone.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
From what I see so far we need a number 2 WR and a pass rushing OLBer. Plus I am not sure they want to depend on two rookies at WR even if they double up today.

I think we will see at least these two positions addressed in free agency. Possible an inside corner as well.
I don't know why everyone is just ignoring our need at CB, like it just magically doesn't exist. And yes I believe they will address a vet WR need in a trade of FA. Happy OL is taken care of. Now we need help at WR, CB and some more DL.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is just ignoring our need at CB, like it just magically doesn't exist. And yes I believe they will address a vet WR need in a trade of FA. Happy OL is taken care of. Now we need help at WR, CB and some more DL.
Who is “everyone “ ? I’d say a very high majority here have went into this draft knowing and hoping we would pick a CB.
As much as I wanted to build the trenches,I sure would have thought very seriously about Mitchell in the first. I am happy with Troy,I think we got a great player. You say you believe they will address a vet WR in a trade or FA. But not CB?

Yes. “Everyone is just ignoring our need at CB,like it magically doesn’t exist”
Yes. Only you have noticed this. Thanks for pointing it out to the rest of us. 🙄🙄🙄

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Who is “everyone “ ? I’d say a very high majority here have went into this draft knowing and hoping we would pick a CB.
As much as I wanted to build the trenches,I sure would have thought very seriously about Mitchell in the first. I am happy with Troy,I think we got a great player. You say you believe they will address a vet WR in a trade or FA. But not CB?

Yes. “Everyone is just ignoring our need at CB,like it magically doesn’t exist”
Yes. Only you have noticed this. Thanks for pointing it out to the rest of us. 🙄🙄🙄
Almost no one has commented on the uninhabited condition of the CB unit, rock the kashmire, rock the kashmire. Whoop, and the noodle goes squish.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
almost everyone listed CB as a need pre-draft

stop flattering your clueless self
But where is your "witty" "eat a dick" comment? I mean nothing self-derogatory about that!

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
To the Gregeraters point, they do need to do something at CB. Sutton? a trade? I do not know what.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
To the Gregeraters point, they do need to do something at CB. Sutton? a trade? I do not know what.
Some interesting free agency’s still left. I think we will see a CB, WR and a pass rusher before the first game of the season.

steelhurt

Reaction score
They are not done, trust me. I really like the Omar/Andy combo. Build them trenches boys! That’s where it all starts and ends.
They have some money under the cap so expects a couple more moves here.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
They are not done, trust me. I really like the Omar/Andy combo. Build them trenches boys! That’s where it all starts and ends.
They have some money under the cap so expects a couple more moves here.
Three spots are open post adding their UDFAs per reports.

WR CB OLBer

Get to cooking Omar!