• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Joey Bosa

Supersteeler

Reaction score
What's with this kid? Still holding out of camp and setting a record as the longest holdout ever under the new CBA agreement. As a Buckeye fan I love the kid as a player but he sure is coming off as a primadonna. Especially after his Mom started bitching about the team not giving them what they want. If I was a Charger fan I would be pissed off.

Just heard on NFLN that Antonio Gates said that Bosa needs to man up and get in camp. I heard on TV somewhere the other day that his family is already rich so he feels no pressure to sign until he gets exactly what he wants. I am starting to question how much the kid loves football. I'd not be shocked to see him flame out after a couple years in the league honestly. If you would have asked me a couple months ago I would have told you he was going to be a stud. Now I wonder. .

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I though it was pretty much set what he would make. I don't get the hold out.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego. His dad Archie knew the team pinches pennies and isn't well run.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I think he wants some guaranteed money in his deal. I don't see nothing wrong with fighting for that.. all contracts should be guaranteed. If baseball and basketball can afford it football can..

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I though it was pretty much set what he would make. I don't get the hold out.

Something about the signing bonus and guaranteed money as andrew said. I'd still be pissed off if I was a Charger fan. The whole purpose of the slotting system for draft picks was to avoid this.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Short answer, he's ******* himself.

Who's going to say, "I want to work with THAT guy!"

Unless he's a total stud he's totally screwing himself over. I'm talking AP, game-changing, all by himself - blowing up the backfield.

There's a point where you sign for 3 or 4 years and then get the hell out if you aren't happy there.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
The Chargers have a history of pick holdouts. At the end of the day Bosa is ******* himself missing camp. If he doesn't sign he goes back into the draft but I believe the Chargers hold his rights until the league year ends. This is a kid who should excel in the league given where he was drafted.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've heard it's not money, it's about the number of years. High picks always sign 5 year deals. Late 1st rounders and on, sign 4 year deals and can be free agents earlier.

Bosa may be standing up on behalf of the union in general on this point. Although if you've ever heard him speak, he's like a retard. He sounds like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or like a slightly dumber version of Gronk.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've heard it's not money, it's about the number of years. High picks always sign 5 year deals. Late 1st rounders and on, sign 4 year deals and can be free agents earlier.

Bosa may be standing up on behalf of the union in general on this point. Although if you've ever heard him speak, he's like a retard. He sounds like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or like a slightly dumber version of Gronk.

You mean it is true, there are dumber versions of gronk????

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I wouldn't cave in. No one else has had a problem signing. Make him sit or sign.

melvinturner

Reaction score
Everything I read said this is on the Chargers. It's about the offset language and when he gets paid - not about the dollar value of the contract.

Bosa wants either guaranteed money after the first year or no offset language that would allow him to still be paid should he get cut within 3 years of his deal.

He said he'd take one or the other. Keep in mind every top 3 pick has had one or the other or in some cases, both. Read the link below, I think you'll find this is more on the chargers than Bosa.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/the-joey-bosa-chargers-contract-dispute-explained

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Somebody has to make a stand and honestly I don't know why the players don't strike. If any sport should have guaranteed contracts it should be football.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego. His dad Archie knew the team pinches pennies and isn't well run.

Yeah I'm betting he is trying to get a trade.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah I'm betting he is trying to get a trade.

I tend to doubt that. Eli Manning told San Diego do not draft me prior to the draft. Bosa never said a thing.

But maybe you're right. This Chargers team is going to be abysmal once Rivers play declines.

Vis

Reaction score
SD wants offset language and deferred payout on the signing bonus. These are two demands that no 3rd overall pick has ever agreed to. Why is SD making those demands? Why would Bosa let himself become the player who sets a precedent?

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You mean it is true, there are dumber versions of gronk????

Salute the nation

Damn it, I was just thinking "Dumber than Gronk? WTF" Then read this. :) Good times.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
SD wants offset language and deferred payout on the signing bonus. These are two demands that no 3rd overall pick has ever agreed to. Why is SD making those demands? Why would Bosa let himself become the player who sets a precedent?

THis is the issue.

Hes not demanding anything that any other high pick doesn't get. Hes asking for the same deal. They don't want to give it.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

if this is the case, he has a point and the NFLPA should be supporting him in a more vocal way

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Yup, this is all on SD. They are trying to land him on the cheap and it is not going to work. If it were me, I would just sit out the entire year.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if SD is hosing him on the deal you can't necessarily blame him. One thing a player needs is his bonus. I mean all the rest of it is bullshit, but the bonus - that' the ONLY thing the guy can count on. They can cut his *** tomorrow, he can get hit by a dumbass 7th rounder trying to make an impression and get his knee blown out. But he's got his bonus.

You don't **** with the bonus. Them's the rules.

At the same time - there comes a point where you sit at the table and say "Don't **** with my bonus and let's sign."

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He is hurting his chances to contribute this year, but as long as he develops as expected, this won't hurt him in the long term. We don't know how long Bosa career is going to last so if he is trying to get the best contract possible, so be it.