• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jason Worilds

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Good ******* gracious, people, how many times does it need to said that this is not even an option for us. It's not an option for us to pay Houston $1 million per year, $15 million per year or $25 million per year. He is going to get the ******* franchise tag. He should never be mentioned on this board.

Fine JPP for 14 million a year. What my point was I don't want to give Worilds that kind of money when we can put a few older vets together and get the same pass rush if we play them in the right situations. There's a little gas left in the Harrison tank. Maybe a little in the Woodley tank. Lets patch a defensive pass rush together and not screw our future over by over paying Worilds.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Fine JPP for 14 million a year. What my point was I don't want to give Worilds that kind of money when we can put a few older vets together and get the same pass rush if we play them in the right situations. There's a little gas left in the Harrison tank. Maybe a little in the Woodley tank. Lets patch a defensive pass rush together and not screw our future over by over paying Worilds.

yeap, we are on the same boat

jdell

Reaction score
How well do you guys see Lemon doing in the league? Do you think that the front office thinks he can perform well at this level? Im pretty sure that he played DE in the CFL and could have trouble transitioning to OLB.

keslerclan

Reaction score
I for one am getting more excited in what we might have in Moats. I never really delved into what he had done prior to arriving here as a FA last season and what i found was interesting:

He was only on the field for us for 337 snaps (exactly the same as O'Brien Schoefield) but outperformed him in tackles, sacks, FF, FR etc.

This was his FIRST year at playing outside as a 'rush' LB. He played SLB and ILB in Buffalo with a bit of time at DE in their 4-3. He never played as an OLB in their 3-4 (which surprised me).

Comparing his snap counts to other guys we like in FA:
He had 337
Graham had 499
McPhee had 516 (although only about half at outside rush LB)
Morgan had more snaps than Worilds @ 1,004
Worilds had 978

The fact that Moats managed 4 sacks, 23 stops and 2 FF bodes well for his future on the outside considering he is new to the position, he topped his career in sacks and played roughly 1/3 of the snaps that Worilds did from a position that Worilds saw the least of his own production.

I'm starting to think we might be onto something here IF we can resign him. (word is he wants to resign too)

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Like almost every thread in here it went on a tangent. I have no problem stopping now. I've made my point. However, I'm sure you don't want me going around to every thread showing you where people took the original subject off topic. Not sure why you just picked us when it happens to almost every thread.

Threads go off in tangents I get it...so no you dont need to be the little thread police and show me where /when they go off in tangents..it was almost a page of you 2 saying no I didn't say that I said this ..it gets boring as hell..We all enjoy reading (well maybe I should say I enjoy) reading what the 2 of you have to say most of the time ...but to me this degenerated into something that really wasn't readable ,so maybe I should have said something along the lines of take this I said, no you said debate to PM instead of asking what it had to do with Worilds...I have said my peace , so if you feel you need to respond go right ahead...just don't be shocked if I don't reply.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
How well do you guys see Lemon doing in the league? Do you think that the front office thinks he can perform well at this level? Im pretty sure that he played DE in the CFL and could have trouble transitioning to OLB.

I think having Lemon helps us with depth. He's going to make the roster IMO. It allows us to let Worilds walk, spend some money on a starting CB in UFA and go committee at LOLB.

I think we draft a 1st round pass rusher, have Moats, Lemon and Harrison +1st round pick at depth for OLB to go with Jarvis.

Then we turn our attention to CB, S & TE depth in the draft.

Assumption is we bring Moats and Deebo back.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I think having Lemon helps us with depth. He's going to make the roster IMO. It allows us to let Worilds walk, spend some money on a starting CB in UFA and go committee at LOLB.

I think we draft a 1st round pass rusher, have Moats, Lemon and Harrison +1st round pick at depth for OLB to go with Jarvis.

Then we turn our attention to CB, S & TE depth in the draft.

Assumption is we bring Moats and Deebo back.

I think Lemon is far from a lock to make the roster. Dude took a while to even have success in the CFL. How can he be a lock or near lock?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Lemon is far from a lock to make the roster. Dude took a while to even have success in the CFL. How can he be a lock or near lock?

I agree. For those that watched the youtube video on Lemon, you saw a guy who almost exclusively used a speed rush to record his sacks. The only time I saw him walk someone back in the pocket, it was a small RB. He never used a power rush on the T, and that dancing around at the line and speed rush only stuff ain't gonna work in the NFL.

His highlights didn't show whether he's proficient against the run or not, but he's not going to be asked to solely rush the passer in the Steelers defense. I also only saw him drop back into coverage maybe once or twice on the video. Can he do it and if so, how well.

I hope the kid has got "it". That would take care of a glaring need on the defense, but I also trust that the FO won't be going into this draft thinking that Lemon is a roster lock and/or the answer to our prayers.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Signing Moats back would be a great move. He is great for depth and can start when needed. And, as keslerclan was eluding to, his arrow is pointing up for continued improvement in our D.

papillon

Reaction score
Good ******* gracious, people, how many times does it need to said that this is not even an option for us. It's not an option for us to pay Houston $1 million per year, $15 million per year or $25 million per year. He is going to get the ******* franchise tag. He should never be mentioned on this board.

So, are you saying that "the player who shall not be named" has no chance of hitting free agency? :D But, what if he does? :cool:

Papillon

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He won't. There's nothing else to say on the matter.

The "unnamed" player, definately will be tagged. Kansas City isn't dumb and they have cap space. That would actually be a good deal for them. "unnamed" may not like it, but thats the CBA and he voted it into existance.

Salute the nation

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
The "unnamed" player, definately will be tagged. Kansas City isn't dumb and they have cap space. That would actually be a good deal for them. "unnamed" may not like it, but thats the CBA and he voted it into existance.

Salute the nation

Justin Houston situation is about to get very interesting

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2015, 11:24 AM EST

The Chiefs finally did what has been expected for months — they’ve applied the franchise tag to linebacker Justin Houston. And as explained over the weekend (when most of you weren’t devoting non-work time to non-work reading of the Internet), it’s much closer to the start of the process than the end of it.

The Chiefs opted for the non-exclusive version of the tag. On one hand, it’s cheaper than the exclusive level of the tag. On the other hand, it allows another team to sign Houston to an offer sheet that, if not matched by the Chiefs, would result in Houston changing hands for a pair of first-round picks.

Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.

Houston, we’re told, is seriously considering staying away from the Chiefs until the Week 10 deadline for signing the franchise tender. If nothing materializes by then, Houston would sign the tender, finish the season, and hit the market in 2016 — unless the Chiefs plan to tender him again, at a 20-percent raise over the 2015 franchise tender.

That’s a stark change from Houston’s in-season plan to sign the tender right away, gladly accepting the life-transforming $13 million or so for one year of play. That 22-sack season may have been a factor in Houston’s change of plans.

Finally, Houston will consult with the NFLPA to explore the possibility of filing a grievance seeking the defensive end franchise tender, which will be higher than the linebacker tender. Seven years ago, Ravens and Terrell Suggs engaged in a similar fight, with the two sides agreeing to essentially split the difference. For Houston, it could be a bit more challenging because he actually does play a considerable amount of linebacker, dropping into coverage in some passing situations.

Which makes him more versatile, makes his 22 sacks more impressive, and potentially makes him a lot more attractive to a team with a desperate coach and/or G.M. who may not be around to use the future draft picks that would be sacrificed to get Houston now.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So he's out. Did the Giants tag JPP?

SteelerAl

Reaction score
So he's out. Did the Giants tag JPP?

Twitter told me that the Giants will tag JPP before the 4pm deadline. I hope everyone realizes that neither of those two was ever a possibility...

BTSC Steelers retweeted
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 4h4 hours ago
NFL teams have until 4 p.m. today to use the "franchise tag." The Giants are still expected to use it on DE Jason Pierre-Paul.

Steelz

Reaction score
Release Cam Thomas and Keisel, sign Suh. Bring back Harrison and Moats. Draft some cornerbacks. Then we're good to go.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Worilds is as good as gone
Probably. Unless he doesn't get as much offered as he thinks he's going to get. Personally I think another team will overpay him, which is fine.
I see what you did there. Used Worilds, good, and gone in the same sentence.

Last edited:

ark steel

Reaction score
Worilds is as good as gone

I think so, too. He will get offers outside what we seem to be willing to do. As Vader has said, the Steelers and JW have had 2 years to come together on a number and have not.

Unless he gets lowballed by everyone else and he will not be, IMO.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
would be great to know what was the contract the Steelers offered him last season that he rejected

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think so, too. He will get offers outside what we seem to be willing to do. As Vader has said, the Steelers and JW have had 2 years to come together on a number and have not.

Unless he gets lowballed by everyone else and he will not be, IMO.

If they re-sign him to a fair number based on his (lack of) production, that's fine, but I can't see beating up our salary cap based on a good one half of one season. Tombert did that this year and what did it get them? 39 tackles and 7.5 sacks. Somebody else wants to pay $8 to $10 million a year for that then fine.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Can we create a thread for the kids to play in? A nice place where all those who suggest things like signing Suh or Justin Houston can splash around without disturbing the adults.
As I have said in the past, no discussion of what FA's we should sign is complete without looking at how much they will cost and how we can fit them under the salary cap.
Could we use Suh? I'd say no based on the penalties, fines, and suspensions he generates, but let's say yes. Can we afford what he'd cost under the cap with what we're already paying some people? Hell no. Therefore there is no point in discussing it.

ark steel

Reaction score
As I have said in the past, no discussion of what FA's we should sign is complete without looking at how much they will cost and how we can fit them under the salary cap.
Could we use Suh? I'd say no based on the penalties, fines, and suspensions he generates, but let's say yes. Can we afford what he'd cost under the cap with what we're already paying some people? Hell no. Therefore there is no point in discussing it.

You could just overlook those making what you consider ridiculous suggestions.