• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

James Washington

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
no-huddle and some play action.
like highschool.
Ben is old, but I think he can still step backwards a couple times.
He's been going under center quite a bit but I think prior to this last game they were still only running play-action about 15% of the time which is about worst in the league. In years past we were well below 10% play action.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Tomlin dog house. We all saw Claypool lay an egg Sunday. Washington could not have done any worse. Comments of separation for Washington what about the other receivers. You watch other games or even teams we are playing how many times receivers are wide open, yet ours very seldom.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ya. That doesn't explain why Hilliard didn't pull Chase and put Washington in there when Claypool made mistake after mistake after mistake.

He can put lipstick on the pig all he wants. For some reasons the coaches flat out sat Washington. It wasn't because James wasn't familiar enough with the F position.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Realistically, he is getting minimal playtime, whether before the Juju injury or now. When he is in he doesn't look to be the first or second option and, if you watch Ben (not trying to ***** about Ben), he is rarely getting further than his second read (in fact, a lot of plays looks like it is the first guy or either 1) bust or 2) go to the full dump off skipping anything in the middle). This is a tough offense to live in the middle (whether the middle of the field or the middle of the read rotation).

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Ya. That doesn't explain why Hilliard didn't pull Chase and put Washington in there when Claypool made mistake after mistake after mistake.

He can put lipstick on the pig all he wants. For some reasons the coaches flat out sat Washington. It wasn't because James wasn't familiar enough with the F position.
Mind boggling that they kept trotting Claypool out there while making mistake after mistake and Washington sits.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope after the bye, we see Diontae, Claypool, and Washington as our top 3 WR and I hope they perform. Diontae has been very good this season. Claypool has been hit and miss. He needs to be more consistent and focused. This play has apparently carried over from the preseason when they said he was dropping balls. I hope he corrects. And, Washington just needs to get some snaps so he can get in sync with Ben and I think he will be a huge asset.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For at least 2 years now, Washington has been right up there with JuJu (and far ahead of Johnson and Claypool) in terms of catching "catchable" balls. JuJu had a bit better numbers, but not much.

I understand James essentially is in a position that puts him back in the rotation, but jeez man. You'd think a coach could see that the guy makes plays and figure out how to get him on the field now and then.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington played an entire season as a starter and no one noticed, because he had the worst yardage per play output in history.

He's a serviceable guy, he will never be a superstar.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Washington played an entire season as a starter and no one noticed, because he had the worst yardage per play output in history.

What year was that?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
What year was that?

He's referring to 2019, when he started 10 games, had 80 targets but only 44 receptions. But everyone's offensive numbers in 2019 were absolutely garbage.

What he also failed to mention was that following off season, Washington went back to the farm (literally), got back to his roots and came back in the best shape as a pro.

What seems to be misconstrued with this thread is that people calling for Washington to get more playing time, are somehow saying he's going to blow up and put up HUGE numbers. When in fact, what we are saying is that Washington >Ray Ray /White and it's not even close.

It also seems that Washington is willing to do ANYTHING asked of him (https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...s-accepted-challenge-of-playing-more-in-slot/)

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
He's referring to 2019, when he started 10 games, had 80 targets but only 44 receptions. But everyone's offensive numbers in 2019 were absolutely garbage.

What he also failed to mention was that following off season, Washington went back to the farm (literally), got back to his roots and came back in the best shape as a pro.

What seems to be misconstrued with this thread is that people calling for Washington to get more playing time, are somehow saying he's going to blow up and put up HUGE numbers. When in fact, what we are saying is that Washington >Ray Ray /White and it's not even close.

It also seems that Washington is willing to do ANYTHING asked of him (https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...s-accepted-challenge-of-playing-more-in-slot/)
I will add......where is the harm giving Washington some of Claypool reps when and if Claypool is missing his assignments and or simply not catching the ball. Sit Claypool for a few series. Give the reps to Washington.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I will add......where is the harm giving Washington some of Claypool reps when and if Claypool is missing his assignments and or simply not catching the ball. Sit Claypool for a few series. Give the reps to Washington.
Or even simply because Claypool isn't 100% 🤷‍♂️

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Are you sure you're not thinking of Ryan Switzer ? Not only was he short but he also had the lowest YPC ever if I remeber right ?

Salute the nation

Marshall Karp

Reaction score
Every team in the NFL knows about James Washington, except the Steelers.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington by season:
18 526 217 14 6 .412
19 634 735 15 10 1.16
20 486 392 16 7 .807

First number is the year, then offensive snap counts, then yardage, games played and games started. Finally yards per snap output. This year he's 108 yds on 150 snaps.

Is he serviceable? yes. Is he better than Ray ray and Cody White? yes.

His offensive output doesn't translate though. He's essentially giving us as much per snap as we'd expect out of a mediocre TE. He is a good blocker, but that's what you have to think of him as. He's essentially our blocking TE who plays WR. That's why he eats up so many snaps.

I would be open to giving him some of Claypools snaps if it makes both of them better and helps the team.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Washington by season:
18 526 217 14 6 .412
19 634 735 15 10 1.16
20 486 392 16 7 .807

First number is the year, then offensive snap counts, then yardage, games played and games started. Finally yards per snap output. This year he's 108 yds on 150 snaps.

His offensive output doesn't translate though. He's essentially giving us as much per snap as we'd expect out of a mediocre TE. He is a good blocker, but that's what you have to think of him as. He's essentially our blocking TE who plays WR. That's why he eats up so many snaps.

I would be open to giving him some of Claypools snaps if it makes both of them better and helps the team.

I'm not sure what yards per snap really tell you when the likes of Johnson and Claypool seem to be the first and second read most plays, which gets back to whether the Steelers are placing enough of an emphasis on getting Washington involved.

If the majority of the plays are not intended to get him the ball, the stat seems kind of pointless.

He played the majority of the offensive snaps in only two games this year.

I thought he played well against the Packers, while not doing much against the Bengals, but the whole offense stunk in that game.

There's just something about him they just don't like despite the talent he flashes.

They spent a second round pick on him in 2018, only to spend second round picks on receivers the next three years.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington by season:
18 526 217 14 6 .412
19 634 735 15 10 1.16
20 486 392 16 7 .807

Excellent research Cope, I miss understood yaz as I thought you were talking yards per catch.

When you go by snap I can see exactly what is going on. He is the most underutalized talent on the team. Near best hands although DJ would really be near that as well (JuJu isn't playing).

If Claypool doesn't step up and continues to get out muscled & mentaled then I definately give James the look.

With JuJU's injury we should have DJ / JW / Chase (slot) and if Ike Hillard can't have these guys ready then I say start hunting for a new WR coach. This 1/2 asZed coaching **** needs to change if it can't step up.

SPECIAL NOTE: Friermuth would be best hands until proven otherwise. Maybe I'm "whacked" but thats how I see it.

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what yards per snap really tell you when the likes of Johnson and Claypool seem to be the first and second read most plays, which gets back to whether the Steelers are placing enough of an emphasis on getting Washington involved.

If the majority of the plays are not intended to get him the ball, the stat seems kind of pointless.

He played the majority of the offensive snaps in only two games this year.

I thought he played well against the Packers, while not doing much against the Bengals, but the whole offense stunk in that game.

There's just something about him they just don't like despite the talent he flashes.

They spent a second round pick on him in 2018, only to spend second round picks on receivers the next three years.
And you're right. Washington was good playing his natural Z position when Claypool was out vs GB. When DJ was out vs Cincy and Wash got the majority of the targets, he couldn't separate or get open. It was maddening to watch. He's a Z only receiver. Claypool is also that, but Claypool could play big slot.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
And you're right. Washington was good playing his natural Z position when Claypool was out vs GB. When DJ was out vs Cincy and Wash got the majority of the targets, he couldn't separate or get open. It was maddening to watch. He's a Z only receiver. Claypool is also that, but Claypool could play big slot.
he's such a big slot..