• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

J-E-T-S suck suck suck

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It’s just data mining for Ernie....

I want to know why the Steelers don't have 20 people in the analytics department or a top football analytics guy in their coaches' box. Maybe I'm off base when it comes to what the rest of the NFL employs, but it's clear why the Patriots lap the field.

mdk2

Reaction score
I want to know why the Steelers don't have 20 people in the analytics department or a top football analytics guy in their coaches' box. Maybe I'm off base when it comes to what the rest of the NFL employs, but it's clear why the Patriots lap the field.

We have one or two guys. I just picture them working in a closet space, using a 1996 Gateway computer. Tomlin stops in every so often to see if they have any info and shuts the door on them as they begin to tell him. Tomlin walks away laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

They actually have an analytics group. The Football Admin Coord has a team of statistical analysts, probably interns, and works with the Team Ops Coord and their football analysts, again interns. Probably less than a dozen individuals as a whole, working with college and pro scouts obtaining data. The Steelers always have had smaller staffs than other teams (DAL, NE, LA, NY, etc) because of their involvement with BLESTO.

What analytics provide is collation of data purposeful for whatever primary usage the organization is looking for. Player scouting, individual metrics, and even gameplay trends. Belichick takes it to a fanatical level, illegal even. Their staff uses predictive analytics which is typically only useful when you have obtained a large volume of data (such as decades of film, with down/distance/personnel measured with scrutiny that goes beyond the spirit of competition). Throw in the fact Ernie complies all that data for specific usage on game days....well they’ve been caught at least three times that we know of.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
There is still some cheating going on. They've perfected it over the years. A defense that doesn't give up anything on the ground or through the air during an era where almost every QB throws for 3000 yards and all the rules favor the offense? Bologna. I just hope one day all this comes out.

Not only that but name me the stud players they have. None. You have other teams secondaries getting torched and they have 1st rounders. Pats have a collection of late rounders and are somehow unbeatable.

They say it's the system, then it would follow that coaches that leave would also have success. We've seen so many of the west coast coaches have success. Holmgren, Gruden, Reid, and others had success. Andy Reid trained up Doug Pederson and Frank Reich who are each successful.

What has Belichick's tree done? I mean he's so brilliant. His system is so flawless, he should be producing great coaches left and right.

Charlie Weis - famously declared Nortre Dame would have a "schematic edge" in every game. Yeah, he sucked without Ernie Adams telling hime what plays to call.

Romeo Crennell - decent DC but his defenses are rarely great.

Josh McDaniel - failed horribly at Denver. Goes back to NE and gets offered other jobs but decides to stay. Why? He knows he isn;t **** without that cheating edge

Bill O'Brien - he has had some success but he was already a very experienced coach before NE and wasn't there that long.

If this was all just smart coaching then it would have been replicated. This is a copycat league. We see teams copying the Rams. We see teams copying some aspects of college systems. Why does nobody cop the Pats?

Why doesn't everybody just draft some crafty late round slot WR and have him run crossers that are always open?

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Tomlin's analytics group. Cutting edge.
2f83a9e5a559d39e286e5aa0ae4e3eeb.jpg

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Not only that but name me the stud players they have. None. You have other teams secondaries getting torched and they have 1st rounders. Pats have a collection of late rounders and are somehow unbeatable.

They say it's the system, then it would follow that coaches that leave would also have success. We've seen so many of the west coast coaches have success. Holmgren, Gruden, Reid, and others had success. Andy Reid trained up Doug Pederson and Frank Reich who are each successful.

What has Belichick's tree done? I mean he's so brilliant. His system is so flawless, he should be producing great coaches left and right.

Charlie Weis - famously declared Nortre Dame would have a "schematic edge" in every game. Yeah, he sucked without Ernie Adams telling hime what plays to call.

Josh McDaniel - failed horribly at Denver. Goes back to NE and gets offered other jobs but decides to stay. Why? He knows he isn;t **** without that cheating edge

Bill O'Brien - he has had some success but he was already a very experienced coach before NE and wasn't there that long.

If this was all just smart coaching then it would have been replicated. This is a copycat league. We see teams copying the Rams. We see teams copying some aspects of college systems. Why does nobody cop the Pats?

Why doesn't everybody just draft some crafty late round slot WR and have him run crossers that are always open?
Also, cheatriots free agents turn to pumpkins after they leave

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

bigtwnvin

Reaction score

And after 2 seasons with the Motor City Lions Matt Patricia (former Cheats DC) has done what again?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
After we lost to NE in the AFCCG in 2016, it came out that Belichick and coaches watched film from all out games going back to seasons, meanwhile, we had defensive guys come out and say they've never seen the flea flicker NE ran before, when NE ran the same ******* play 8 weeks earlier vs Baltimore, and defensive players saying NE's up tempo offense caught them off guard, how the ****? They always do that.
I still think they're cheating *****, but it sounds like Belichick puts alot of emphasis into prep, while Tomlin doesn't even bother to look back to a game they played vs a common opponent, or the players don't pay attention.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

All I got out of this is - Coach Tomlin ain't as bad as some paint him to be. He may try to trip a mofo; but at least he's honest!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
After we lost to NE in the AFCCG in 2016, it came out that Belichick and coaches watched film from all out games going back to seasons, meanwhile, we had defensive guys come out and say they've never seen the flea flicker NE ran before, when NE ran the same ******* play 8 weeks earlier vs Baltimore, and defensive players saying NE's up tempo offense caught them off guard, how the ****? They always do that.
I still think they're cheating *****, but it sounds like Belichick puts alot of emphasis into prep, while Tomlin doesn't even bother to look back to a game they played vs a common opponent, or the players don't pay attention.

Yep. Their analytics department works on game film and knows the tendencies of their opponents. It's like they've taken baseball level of analytics to the extreme in football. I want a department and coaching staff that committed to winning as well.